You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

The golden era of warships (picture thread)

32 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

You know, I have to say, I REALLY like the way warships were built during the late 1800s and early 1900s. This was arguably the golden-era of warships. Battleships were still the most powerful weapons on earth, aircraft and carriers were not yet big-players on the scene. How powerful a nation was at the time was judged by how many battleships it had, and how large its navy was. Every gun on the ship was for firing at other ships, there was none of this AA nonsense taking up space. This era represents the final form of artillery warships while they were still the dominating power factor on the planet!

And then there's the look they give off. It's scary and intimidating! The ships are short and stubby (most battleships didn't exceed 600') with guns poking out in all directions! From the 1920s onwards ships grew longer and sleeker. If it were not for the weapons on board, one might think they were cruise ships! Of course, both were built for war and fighting, but the ships of the so-called "golden-era" really looked the part. After the 1920s, almost all of a warship's weapons were neatly placed in the center area of the ship. Compare that to the warships of the late 1800s and early 1900s...

You had guns sticking out of the bow...

Gromoboi

Related image

Guns sticking out of the stern...

Wyoming

013215c.jpg

You had turrets growing like mutated limbs out of the hull bulges....

Charles Martel

Image result for charles martel battleship

Carnot

Image result for charles martel battleship

Tsarevich

Image result for russian pre-dreadnought

You had guns coming out of the deck...

USS Vesuvius

USS_Vesuvius_dynamite_gun_muzzles_LOC_4a13991v.jpg

You had guns on top of guns...

USS Kearsarge

Related image

USS New Jersey

Image result for bb-16 new jersey

Radetzky

Image result for tegetthoff class battleships turrets

You had casemates directly under turrets...

SMS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse

Related image

SMS Zahringen

Related image

You had guns sticking out of the bridge superstructure...

Von der Tann

Related image

And of course, you had guns just plain old sticking out of the side of the ship...

Babenburg

Image result for habsburg class battleship

Petropavlovsk

Image result for nassau class battleship

SMS Westfalen

Related image

USS Minnesota

Related image

Post your favorite golden-era (1880-1918) warship pics here so that we can all appreciate them!!

• Cool 11

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I do like the design of the Tegetthoff=class:

X8TFPh5.jpg

SMS Prinz Eugen, Tegetthoff-class battleship.

• Cool 2

Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,236 posts
1,928 battles

Those aren't even torpedo bulges, that is just the hull. 

Devonshire class cruiser, Hampshire:

Hampshire0179card.JPG

For a combination

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Thank for post +1:Smile_medal:

WISH these ships were in the game.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
37 minutes ago, mr3awsome said:

Those aren't even torpedo bulges, that is just the hull. 

Fixed

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

I do like the design of the Tegetthoff=class:

-snip-

SMS Prinz Eugen, Tegetthoff-class battleship.

Me too! It was way ahead of its time! The first Battleship ever to have super-firing triple turrets all on the centerline!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

They threw up huge bow waves while pouring black smoke out of their stacks. USS Minnesota BB22 on her speed trials.

634px-USS_Minnesota_Trials.jpg

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

The extreme tumblehome was due to what turned out to be a bad design choice, namely that the increased stability of the design was offset by increased instability when the hull was breached under the waterline.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,219 battles

They're basically real world steam punk. No body knew how to make stuff work well yet, so they just made stuff work.

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Very nice, yes there is just something special about the age that Battleships ruled the Seas and were the super weapons and status symbols of the major nations of the world.

Think that might be part of the reason you see do many players in WOWs with their Battleship is because of that era in history and the feeling of power.

Part of the reason they had the Washington Naval Treaty was to attempt to halt the Arms race from Spiraling out of control farther, but then Nations decided to start churning out Heavy Cruisers to sort of take their place which led to to Lomdon Naval Treaty which addressed that particular loophole lol.

In some ways that age was more civilized as far as superweapons went compared to nations filling the role now with Nukes to show power.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
41 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They threw up huge bow waves while pouring black smoke out of their stacks. USS Minnesota BB22 on her speed trials.

634px-USS_Minnesota_Trials.jpg

SMS Moltke, also with black smoke and huge bow wave....

Image result for sms moltke color

Image result for sms moltke color

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

I have always wondered how much the events of the Russo-Japanese War impacted Jackie Fisher's decision to go ahead with the construction of the Dreadnought. Up until that war naval theory was that the decisive battle range would be 3000 yards or so when the Russians and the Japanese were engaging at much farther ranges.

[SAA]
Members
861 posts
27,387 battles

th?id=OIP.Euscux9cLrKVQF-kq4Q4eAEsDG&w=2My favorite ship and the story that goes behind it.  SMS Emden

Edited by Turbotush

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,390 battles

What, no Graf Zeppelin?!

I jest, though the twin casemates are quite something. Nice post as always, I like the time period too.

• Cool 1

[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,081 battles

ARA San Martin (Garibaldi class)
Colorized_San_Martin.jpg

ARA Rivadavia (newer, but omg this photo is so cool)
Rivadavia_Battleship_LOC_14781u.jpg

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
512 posts
5,622 battles

So in love with them. The designs are...hilarious by today's standards, but it's easy to forget they were the megaweapons of their day. I just can't get my head around how some of them even float lol

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
2 hours ago, HeathenForay said:

So in love with them. The designs are...hilarious by today's standards, but it's easy to forget they were the megaweapons of their day. I just can't get my head around how some of them even float lol

It was an era where everything changed pretty much every few months. The French fleet of the era shows that extremely well. The late 19th century French fleet was sometimes called a fleet of prototypes because every new ship was a new class.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
512 posts
5,622 battles
49 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It was an era where everything changed pretty much every few months. The French fleet of the era shows that extremely well. The late 19th century French fleet was sometimes called a fleet of prototypes because every new ship was a new class.

I love the clean white/gold color schemes too. I wish that was a camo option for us.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
7 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

I love the clean white/gold color schemes too. I wish that was a camo option for us.

The Great White Fleet colors are on the stock St Louis but unfortunately you have to give them up with the hull upgrade where you get the war time scheme. The Albany also has them but is a now somewhat rare tier 2 premium.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
512 posts
5,622 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The Great White Fleet colors are on the stock St Louis but unfortunately you have to give them up with the hull upgrade. The Albany also has them but is a now somewhat rare tier 2 premium.

I don't see it working on an Iowa or anything, but if there's a historical precedent to have a ship camo as they appear IRL we should be able to have it as an alternative type 5. Get tired of the same hodgepodge of white/grey/blue over and over...and the IJN ships *shudders*... Not talking about the permanent camos either. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
1 minute ago, HeathenForay said:

I don't see it working on an Iowa or anything, but if there's a historical precedent to have a ship camo as they appear IRL we should be able to have it as an alternative type 5. Get tired of the same hodgepodge of white/grey/blue over and over...and the IJN ships *shudders*... Not talking about the permanent camos either. 

The Great White Fleet paint stopped somewhere between 1900 and WWI and ships always had the war time paint from that time on.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
512 posts
5,622 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Great White Fleet paint stopped somewhere between 1900 and WWI and ships always had the war time paint from that time on.

I've seen a lot of pictures of newer ships without the garish camo where they appear to be quite lightly colored. Do you think it's white or just a very light grey like we seen in game?