You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cometguy

Question from a BB noob

31 comments in this topic

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

So last night I had a game in the Colorado where I was accused of showing too much broadside making myself an easy target. I finished the game with 1.7 million potential damage, which seemed high to me, but I realized I don't really have a great frame of reference. Is that a decent amount?

I remember that our flank went up against 2 scharnhorsts, a queen Elizabeth, Texas, Fiji, glass, Aoba, and at least on of their destroyers. Never got a bead on them, they stayed beyond spotting range laying smoke and torps. Then they also had the occasional support from a Ryujo.

After about the 10 minute mark, our flank was down to me and an iron Duke, they had lost the QE, Texas, glass, and Aoba. So we were retreating slowly, because they weren't really pressing hard, but I didn't want the DD to get into position to put torps into my side. I did my best to keep what I considered angled against the BBs primarily, and lived another 7 minutes. At any rate, that probably isn't useful information for providing a critique on how to improve, but was it bad?

[SIM]
Members
2,534 posts
4,182 battles

Sounds fine to me. As a BB player, people will constantly heap a mound of their own crap on you. 

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,191 battles
9 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

......people will constantly heap a mound of their own crap on you. 

That holds true for pretty much any class of ship

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles
18 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Sounds fine to me. As a BB player, people will constantly heap a mound of their own crap on you. 

Yes

8 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

That holds true for pretty much any class of ship

And ... Yes

Play your own ship, learn your own lessons, enjoy at the pace you choose. Have a great match!

• Cool 2

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,247 battles

OP wrote ______________I finished the game with 1.7 million potential damage

how did you earn 1,700,000 damage?

if you were in a Colorado and every ship had 60,000 HP which they could not , that's still only  720,000 damage available. So even that is a Million over the line.

otherwise sometimes who have to do it, like letting your grandma kiss you on the cheek when you were a kid.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
2 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

OP wrote ______________I finished the game with 1.7 million potential damage

how did you earn 1,700,000 damage?

if you were in a Colorado and every ship had 60,000 HP which they could not , that's still only  720,000 damage available. So even that is a Million over the line.

otherwise sometimes who have to do it, like letting your grandma kiss you on the cheek when you were a kid.

Potential damage is incoming damage. It’s a measure of tanking. 

Near misses and bounces count too, as do any torpedoes within a couple of km — It adds up fast. Torpedos add it up incredibly quickly. 

Anything over 1 million is high for a tier 7 BB. I’ve gotten over 2 mil a couple of times getting cross-dropped by CVs for a whole match.

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

Right.  "Potential damage" is all ordinance that was fired at you.  The more you make them miss, the more potential damage you accumulate.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,979 battles
22 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Right.  "Potential damage" is all ordinance that was fired at you.  The more you make them miss, the more potential damage you accumulate.

Lol so that's what it is, and here I thought it might have been how much damage you could have done if missed shots were included or something. Thanks for the info. :)

I was quick to learn many of the game mechanic and eager to read and watch guides in ships, but somehow managed to always miss the details about potential damage.

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

That sounds fine to me. It's usually hard to angle against all possible threats, so you pick the biggest threat and angle against that. 

Incidentally this is also why you don't go down the middle and end up with fire from both sides. 

Members
64 posts
6,490 battles
16 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol so that's what it is, and here I thought it might have been how much damage you could have done if missed shots were included or something. Thanks for the info. :)

I was quick to learn many of the game mechanic and eager to read and watch guides in ships, but somehow managed to always miss the details about potential damage.

Ditto, I learned something new also!

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I average 1m potential damage in the Colorado. Oddly, I average a little more in the New Mexico.

[REVY]
Members
951 posts
7,518 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

I did my best to keep what I considered angled against the BBs primarily, and lived another 7 minutes. 

My question is: what did you consider being angled?

Were all 4 turrets available to aim at all times, or were your aft turrets masked, unable to fire while you could use the forward turrets freely?

When I sailed my Colorado, I kept her angled towards the enemy, and only unmasked the aft turrets between enemy salvos to firing mine. After firing, I immediately masked the aft turrets again.

The fact you had 1.7 million potential damage tells me you had a fairly decent angle going. Obviously you are not going to avoid every shell. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,979 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

So last night I had a game in the Colorado where I was accused of showing too much broadside making myself an easy target. I finished the game with 1.7 million potential damage, which seemed high to me, but I realized I don't really have a great frame of reference. Is that a decent amount?

I remember that our flank went up against 2 scharnhorsts, a queen Elizabeth, Texas, Fiji, glass, Aoba, and at least on of their destroyers. Never got a bead on them, they stayed beyond spotting range laying smoke and torps. Then they also had the occasional support from a Ryujo.

After about the 10 minute mark, our flank was down to me and an iron Duke, they had lost the QE, Texas, glass, and Aoba. So we were retreating slowly, because they weren't really pressing hard, but I didn't want the DD to get into position to put torps into my side. I did my best to keep what I considered angled against the BBs primarily, and lived another 7 minutes. At any rate, that probably isn't useful information for providing a critique on how to improve, but was it bad?

The main things you do not want to do would be to brawl close range ( less than 6km ) with the Scharnhorst or Gneisenau since they love killing you with their Torps and they have 8km Secondaries so you want to be medium to long range fighting with those, 

Also you want to have BFT and AFT Captain Skills to boost your AA.

As far as using your rear guns when heading at the enemy I usually fishtail back and forth to allow rear guns to get shots off and then allows me to to return to being bow on, also makes me harder to get a target lock on if enemy s shooting at me long range.

The main mistake players will make is sitting broadside so shells hit their side armor at nice 45° angle and go right in, but offhand does not sound like you were doing this, but it's the main mistake far to many BBs and even CAs will make.

Also since you were using USN BB I would also suggest keeping watchful eye on your HP and pulling out of enemy range to get your HP raised since from the times I have used Texas for example as long as I went in and out of gun range to do damage and then regenerate HP usually I can stay alive until I burn through all my HP heals.

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

How close does it have to get to you to count? 

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,247 battles

Sorry never paid attention to potential damage before guys and gals.  Mia Cupa

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

My question is: what did you consider being angled?

Were all 4 turrets available to aim at all times, or were your aft turrets masked, unable to fire while you could use the forward turrets freely?

When I sailed my Colorado, I kept her angled towards the enemy, and only unmasked the aft turrets between enemy salvos to firing mine. After firing, I immediately masked the aft turrets again.

The fact you had 1.7 million potential damage tells me you had a fairly decent angle going. Obviously you are not going to avoid every shell. 

What I believe to be angled in the Colorado is neither perpendicular to the target, nor showing enough side to have all 4 turrets available. I tend to shoot for something where a few degrees turn will allow me to bring all 4 turrets to bear.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
20 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

How close does it have to get to you to count? 

I'm not sure if it's that for guns. It might just count any non-damaging shell fired by any ship that has you locked as a target. Not sure though.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Here's what you're gonna do. You're gonna play your BBs from now on in the way the forums describe them as being op. If you're lucky and fillow the 1337 forums strats you may even break 50% wr in your bb 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
10 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Here's what you're gonna do. You're gonna play your BBs from now on in the way the forums describe them as being op. If you're lucky and fillow the 1337 forums strats you may even break 50% wr in your bb 

But will I get banned for hax?

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Without seeing the replay, we can’t really critique your play. However, LoLoRaDo loves to be angled 15-35 degrees from the biggest guns shooting at her.

She has the best [angled] armor in the game. But once you’re in that 45-90 angle, you begin to be like the t8-10 US BB’s which are all or nothing armor.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

1.7 million potential damage is actually fairly good for a tier 7 BB.

Do you have the replay OP? If you want, I'd be glad to take a quick look and see what you did, and maybe throw in my two cents on your might improve if you need to. But from the sounds of it, its seem you're pretty good already. xD

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles
14 minutes ago, cometguy said:

But will I get banned for hax?

Possibly 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
947 posts
10,405 battles

You are doing fine in your CO, 1.7 million potential XP is actually pretty good. I get  2-2.5 million in T8+ games when I felt I really had to tank and play as many tricks as I can to survive. I think a better in-game measure on how well you are tanking is how many charges of repair party you got left. If you use premium and have super intendant and you manage to use all your RP and you are still alive then you probably did right by your team.

Assume everyone else in the game is an idiot unless proven otherwise. Ignore anyone that have not proven that they are not idiots. 

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
36 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

Assume everyone else in the game is an idiot unless proven otherwise. Ignore anyone that have not proven that they are not idiots. 

That is some great advice for online games in general....just as soon as you rely at all on your buddies, you wind up dead, isolated, team killed or otherwise in a [edited] situation...