Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Don't start no Sheeet there won't be no Sheeet... usually...

84 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

With regards to toxic chat and basic "bad" gameplay.  The game really is a lot of fun if you just have fun with it....   Why so serious?  Yeah there is always that ONE guy, but really in all of my games back since my little hiatus, we have had a great time.  Fun is fun and I think I missed that point a bit In my grind up a new line.  Once you get your "fun" groove back, things seem to start clicking again.   I think the key is to NOT be that "ONE GUY". 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Case in point..  Had a good game going with a quick 60K damage done already..and had 2 more BB's lined up close range,  A Takao cuts me off on my torp shots and I end up getting smoked.    I gave the guy props for being there for me.  Not many cruisers do.  @Dezza1

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles

I have noticed the increase.  Anyone can be a tuff guy behind a keyboard, I just have to laugh it off.  I had a kurfurst I was shooting at in my chappy and he killed me and promptly said dear chapayev F YOU!  I thought to myself wow that's interesting. Guy must of thought he was a bad azz lol.  Anyway the toxic chat is due to more and more clans coming out wanting to strut their stuff pump out their chests and go "look at me".  Problem is it will get worse no denying that as more and more people start playing this game it is inevitable.  But oh well f em all is what I say.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,438 battles
1 hour ago, knice_destroyer said:

I have noticed the increase.  Anyone can be a tuff guy behind a keyboard, I just have to laugh it off.  I had a kurfurst I was shooting at in my chappy and he killed me and promptly said dear chapayev F YOU!  I thought to myself wow that's interesting. Guy must of thought he was a bad azz lol.  Anyway the toxic chat is due to more and more clans coming out wanting to strut their stuff pump out their chests and go "look at me".  Problem is it will get worse no denying that as more and more people start playing this game it is inevitable.  But oh well f em all is what I say.

It's because they're super competitive alpha male wannabes.  Some people lead such loathsome lives that their only sense of value comes from one upping people in online games.  If you're truly great at something, you don't need to tell everyone.  People will notice.  Pity them, because they eat, sleep and dream about WoWs.  It is the center of their universe.

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,472 battles

I get annoyed with toxic chat bc whilst I'm trying to carry and win the game I have an annoying little chat window showing irrelevant information to us winning the game.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Oh waitz... there's supposed to be an X that will close it, remove it and... oh noes... it doesn't work... 

Wanting that window off my UI for two years now... still no go. Want to at least be able to turn off red chat for two years... still no go. Want the ability to mute F-key spam for two years now... yes! No go... 

Until it's a priority to them nothing will be done. Heck, they may never do anything about it because they may want it there, in your face, eating up real estate when you could have a more immersive view of sea and ship... grrrapallslseknxk, that's what I say. 

Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
4 hours ago, Amenhir said:

It's because they're super competitive alpha male wannabes.  Some people lead such loathsome lives that their only sense of value comes from one upping people in online games.  If you're truly great at something, you don't need to tell everyone.  People will notice.  Pity them, because they eat, sleep and dream about WoWs.  It is the center of their universe.

Nah, those types value one-upping people at anything. They'll burn rubber in the parking lot just to get ahead of you at the drive-thru. They dream of being king of all they survey, not just WoWS.

Video games just provide an easily-accessible and consequence-free venue for their behaviour.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,733 battles
4 hours ago, Amenhir said:

And it's this grossly false narrative and passive aggressive attitude toward those who simply have even just a basic level of self respect enough to care about quality and putting their best foot forward. 

The majority of toxicity in this game is not from these so called elitist bullies you like to use as scapegoats to deflect away from the fact that you have allowed yourself to be content with an extremely low set of standards. Which would be totally fine for those who have enough honor to self regulate by sticking to low tiers and co-op like an older person self regulates at the golf course by moving to a forward tee box when they no longer have the strength to drive the ball 300 yards. 

High tiers are where the stakes are higher due to credit costs. And this is a team game. So if you are woefully below average and conscious enough to know that you consistently fail to fulfill your 1/12 of your responsibility (carry your weight), your continuing to hit that battle button is a blatant act of selfishness. Putting your fun ahead of 11 other people's fun. If you are too self-centered and entitled to see that, just know that you are a member of the largest segment of toxic players in this game. 

It's no different when it comes to unreliable internet,  or constant crashing or load times that take longer than battle start, or interruptions that repeatedly make us go afk. Good people of character have an awareness of time and place and address the out of game issues first. Everyone in my clan behaves this way. If we're having any issues that keep us from being a reliable asset to our team (yes even in random), we stop playing the game until it's fixed. 

Respect. Learn it. 

• Cool 7

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles
8 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

With regards to toxic chat and basic "bad" gameplay.  The game really is a lot of fun if you just have fun with it....   Why so serious?  Yeah there is always that ONE guy, but really in all of my games back since my little hiatus, we have had a great time.  Fun is fun and I think I missed that point a bit In my grind up a new line.  Once you get your "fun" groove back, things seem to start clicking again.   I think the key is to NOT be that "ONE GUY". 

Losing isn't fun.

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles
5 hours ago, Amenhir said:

No, it's because losing in any game isn't fun.  Imagine trying to play a doubles tennis match when your partner is actively eating paint chips and spraying the ball into other courts.  Is that "fun" because tennis is "fun?"

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,940 battles

I never saw anyone become "toxic" while I was in the Army. It probably had something to do with the fact that everyone was heavily armed, well-trained, and disciplined. Even as a kid I wouldn't have dreamed of being disrespectful, as I was taught better by my grandfather and father, who is also a veteran.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
52 minutes ago, VGLance said:

And it's this grossly false narrative and passive aggressive attitude toward those who simply have even just a basic level of self respect enough to care about quality and putting their best foot forward. 

The majority of toxicity in this game is not from these so called elitist bullies you like to use as scapegoats to deflect away from the fact that you have allowed yourself to be content with an extremely low set of standards. Which would be totally fine for those who have enough honor to self regulate by sticking to low tiers and co-op like an older person self regulates at the golf course by moving to a forward tee box when they no longer have the strength to drive the ball 300 yards. 

High tiers are where the stakes are higher due to credit costs. And this is a team game. So if you are woefully below average and conscious enough to know that you consistently fail to fulfill your 1/12 of your responsibility (carry your weight), your continuing to hit that battle button is a blatant act of selfishness. Putting your fun ahead of 11 other people's fun. If you are too self-centered and entitled to see that, just know that you are a member of the largest segment of toxic players in this game. 

It's no different when it comes to unreliable internet,  or constant crashing or load times that take longer than battle start, or interruptions that repeatedly make us go afk. Good people of character have an awareness of time and place and address the out of game issues first. Everyone in my clan behaves this way. If we're having any issues that keep us from being a reliable asset to our team (yes even in random), we stop playing the game until it's fixed. 

Respect. Learn it. 

This was easily the most eloquent and well thought out post I have read on these forums.  Too bad it was a long winded way of saying, "I care more about the game than having fun, and let me tell you why you should too.."     

• Cool 1

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
412 posts
5,681 battles
54 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Respect. Learn it. 

I can see what you're trying to say. But this doesn't compare. Before I begin I want to say that I don't care about toxic chat or anyone who feels the urge to say offensive things. Sometimes I feel like people are trying to have a good time and being competitive by using th trash talk, which I find ok. On the other hand, when it's someone who obviously had had a spike in blood pressure, it makes me laugh. 

Going into your repsonse about hitting battle battle even if you can't contribute a 1/12th, who cares. If you take a video game so seriously, you're part of the population that needs blood pressure pills. If the person is in your clan and it's clan wars, that's a different story. Kick him/her. In a random match though... give me a break.

• Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I never saw anyone become "toxic" while I was in the Army. It probably had something to do with the fact that everyone was heavily armed, well-trained, and disciplined. Even as a kid I wouldn't have dreamed of being disrespectful, as I was taught better by my grandfather and father, who is also a veteran.

Funny.  I was just having this exact conversation the other day with some other old military guys.  IMHO it has to do with the fact that in the service you pretty much had to deal with each other.  You couldn't quit or just get another job.  You had to get along to get along.  If you had problems with your crew then you sorted it out then and there and got back to business.  Civilian life isn't the same and the internet is certainly not.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

Respect. Learn it. 

Here is how my normal game play goes, either singularly or with my clan.

I get home from 4 days of 12 hour shifts plus an hour commute each way.  I fire up the game, grab a big frosty mug of beer from my kegerator, and off I go.  If I happen to hook up with my clan mates, I jump on Discord and chat it up with some southern boys who are also enjoying (with a 3 hour head start) some beverages.  We laugh, blow stuff up, make fun of each other, and generally just have a great time.  No offense, but my clan sounds like a lot more fun than yours.  :) 

On a side note, I routinely run into some really good players/clans such as the SALTY guys, or APOC, or even Fog a few posts up there.  In fact I just saw Fog a few days ago carrying his team to a win that though most of the battle had been easily ours.  It always amazes me to watch one person be able to defy the odds and turn it around like that.

Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles

And it's this grossly false narrative and passive aggressive attitude toward those who simply have even just a basic level of self respect enough to care about quality and putting their best foot forward. . 

To be fair, there does exist those who take it too far.

Members
2,594 posts
12,485 battles

One of the biggest igniters of toxic chat is something called "the truth". Many players simply can't handle being singled out for poor play or bad strategies. Many games I will watch how the opening moves line up very similar to chess and with a pretty good degree of accuracy know if we will lose simply based on initial ship movements and caps taken or ignored. When the fail is underway or completed I remind them I told them so.

How else are you ever going to teach someone if you don't say anything? Sure I get under their skin and get reported and eventually banned for 24 hrs but what is better, saying nothing and allowing them to spread their suck? Or maybe after he unloaded all of his misbehavior in chat messages on me he may remember his mistake and not make the same mistake next time?

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles
52 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Funny.  I was just having this exact conversation the other day with some other old military guys.  IMHO it has to do with the fact that in the service you pretty much had to deal with each other.  You couldn't quit or just get another job.  You had to get along to get along.  If you had problems with your crew then you sorted it out then and there and got back to business.  Civilian life isn't the same and the internet is certainly not.

The military is a dictatorship, real world in America is not.  

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,438 battles

Respect. Learn it. 

I'm not talking about players that are good.  I'm talking about players that feel the need to slam other players every chance they get.  I am well aware that most of the most toxic players are actually mediocre at best.  I never said that I was talking about super elite well skilled individuals.  I don't know why you feel the need to defend these groups of players I wasn't even referring to.  I'm not poo pooing your super uberness.  I personally don't care.  Every battle I join I attempt to do my best to succeed and be a contributing member of the team.  That doesn't always work out.  I am well aware of my averageness.  I don't take my frustration out on other players by attempting to belittle them, or saying things like "BOOM!, get rekt", "F*ck you Potato!"  You should be content in knowing you are way better than me and stop trying so hard to rub everyone's nose in it.  

As an aside I usually skip over your posts immediately, mostly because I find your responses to be boring.  You're a broken record.  "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm way gooder than you"  Now I expect you to look up my stats, which I 'm sure you did before even responding.   You can come back later and try to shame me.  

Edited by Amenhir

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
3 minutes ago, murf4321 said:

Really?  Well thanks for clearing that up for me captain obvious.  After 6 years in the service and 48 years of living in this country...  I had no idea.    You are missing the point.  The topic is that in the service you get along with your team.  You have to.  It isn't forced on you by the military.  It is the environment you live in.  There is no place for petty divisiveness. You have to have your buddy's back and he has to have yours.  Everyone has to do their job.  There is no time for worrying about if a guy is black, white, atheist, jewish, or these days even male or female.  Do your job, take care of business, watch my back, and we all go out for beers later.  

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles
1 minute ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Really?  Well thanks for clearing that up for me captain obvious.  After 6 years in the service and 48 years of living in this country...  I had no idea.    You are missing the point.  The topic is that in the service you get along with your team.  You have to.  It isn't forced on you by the military.  It is the environment you live in.  There is no place for petty divisiveness. You have to have your buddy's back and he has to have yours.  Everyone has to do their job.  There is no time for worrying about if a guy is black, white, atheist, jewish, or these days even male or female.  Do your job, take care of business, watch my back, and we all go out for beers later.  

Don't think your sarcasm is necessary.  Your analogy of comparing video game chat to military duty was retarded, not my fault hoss.  Alas, yay for you that you got to tell people you served, and are 48 years old.  Take a bow.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, murf4321 said:

Don't think your sarcasm is necessary.  Your analogy of comparing video game chat to military duty was retarded, not my fault hoss.  Alas, yay for you that you got to tell people you served, and are 48 years old.  Take a bow.

I didn't compare the two.  I was responding to another post regarding the differences between interactions of people in the service and online or IRL.    You appear to be really good at this game, but maybe you should take a little time to work on your reading comprehension skills before you just jump on someone.  Typical purple butt hat.   Truth be told my comment had nothing to do with the game and was a reply to a person.  You butting in and dropping overly obvious comments would get you punched in the mouth IRL.  Work on your social skills while you are improving your reading..

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles
1 minute ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I didn't compare the two.  I was responding to another post regarding the differences between interactions of people in the service and online or IRL.    You appear to be really good at this game, but maybe you should take a little time to work on your reading comprehension skills before you just jump on someone.  Typical purple butt hat. 

Will do.  Thanks for your service.

Also, I don't consider myself all that good, I just pay attention to objectives.

Edited by murf4321

[PSP]
Members
6,317 posts
8,940 battles
3 minutes ago, murf4321 said:

It's ironic that those who protect freedom oftentimes have less personal freedom than those they protect. There is a reason for this though. The military must be disciplined and able to function at any time. Each service member has their role to play and sometimes this role is unique enough that the mission would be jeopardized if they were not there. Also, the military has invested tens of thousands to millions of dollars in your education and training, not to mention the cost of equipping you and shipping you off to some far part of the world. These are only two of the reasons why you can't just quit the military on a whim. There is no longer a draft, it was done away with about the time I enlisted. If you volunteer for the military then it was your decision. You signed a contract and you are obligated to follow the military's rules. In return, you accrue many benefits. For example, I got my first two degrees paid for by the GI Bill, so while my civilian contemporaries graduated college in substantial debt, I graduated not owing a thing. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

It's ironic that those who protect freedom oftentimes have less personal freedom than those they protect. There is a reason for this though. The military must be disciplined and able to function at any time. Each service member has their role to play and sometimes this role is unique enough that the mission would be jeopardized if they were not there. Also, the military has invested tens of thousands to millions of dollars in your education and training, not to mention the cost of equipping you and shipping you off to some far part of the world. These are only two of the reasons why you can't just quit the military on a whim. There is no longer a draft, it was done away with about the time I enlisted. If you volunteer for the military then it was your decision. You signed a contract and you are obligated to follow the military's rules. In return, you accrue many benefits. For example, I got my first two degrees paid for by the GI Bill, so while my civilian contemporaries graduated college in substantial debt, I graduated not owing a thing. 

Good points.  I never used my GI bill, but the skills in my job while in the Navy are the reason I have a very good job now.  Basically I got "free" on the job experience and ended up doing what a lot of people went into debt to get a degree do.  I have a few other Navy guys in my area.  Our favorite saying is, I might not have a Phd, but I have a DD214.  :)

Sign in to follow this