Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

When this game goes bad, it can go very, very bad

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Just had a match this evening that left a really bad taste. 

Essentially, our team, with a Kaga was facing a team with a Saipan. The Saipan player basically [edited] the Kaga in the first 2-3 minutes of the game. The Kaga player then goes afk. Enemy team literally camps out in the open while Saipan spots anyone near. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-cv or anti-anything. It happens. The Saipan players was very good (most seem to be). But the result was a combination of distaste for fragile balancing, people who quit in a huff, and the inability to punish enemies who sit still within range. Weird battle. 

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,854 battles

The Saipan is very good, at its tier nothing much can really stand against it, other than another Saipan.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

.... you mean the carrier didn't try to cap, or ram things? or secondary them down?  What' a waste of a hulk of a metal. 

I love trying to ram kill people in my de-planed carriers. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,340 posts
14,832 battles

Well, even a Saipan can't completely shut down a Kaga in the first few minutes.  You can only feed it only so many planes at once.  That said, you can tell pretty quick how the rest of the game is going to go.

[HYDRA]
Members
500 posts
2,513 battles
34 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

.... you mean the carrier didn't try to cap, or ram things? or secondary them down?  What' a waste of a hulk of a metal. 

Even if you are in a massive easily seen lightship like Ranger with garbage secondaries, you are still worth points to your team, so stay alive.

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,469 battles
35 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Lol, do u get any ram kills though?

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles
31 minutes ago, zuga_01 said:

Lol, do u get any ram kills though?

dunno, but its probably like 1-2 at most. 

Doesn't stop me from trying though. 

(Really, when playing seriously, I attempt to be another body for capping, or at least a meat shield if nothing else) 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, DingBat said:

Essentially, our team, with a Kaga was facing a team with a Saipan. The Saipan player basically [edited] the Kaga in the first 2-3 minutes of the game. The Kaga player then goes afk. Enemy team literally camps out in the open while Saipan spots anyone near. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-cv or anti-anything. It happens. The Saipan players was very good (most seem to be). But the result was a combination of distaste for fragile balancing, people who quit in a huff, and the inability to punish enemies who sit still within range. Weird battle. 

Thats not too bad.

I was in a game yesterday, sailing Des Moines - in which each team had a GZ test CV.

At the opening bell, our GZ hails on all chat "Lets not shoot down each others planes - I want to test the torps".

I called him out on making no-shoot deals with the red team, and told him thats what training rooms are for.

I got into position covering a cap the DD was trying, and hear the "torps in the water"  alarm - look to port, just in time to see our CV unload all his torp squadrons into my broadside - ha ha!

Now that was a weird battle!

Members
1,154 posts
6,910 battles

had a battle today where a tier 8 CV refused to use his fighters to shoot down the enemy CVs stuff.   The enemy CV practically flew his planes up the middle of the map, to our spawn, to drop on a DD Div mate of mine.   I asked for the CV to help long before the drop happened, knowing what was about to go down and their response was no.  That CV didn't move from its starting spot for about 10 min.  Didn't interfere in later drops, including one on me.   his fighters would follow their bombers to the drop and back to the CV.  They didn't try to spot.  They didn't even bother going after enemy fighters.  His response to his bombers being attacked at one point  was to keep sending them out one at a time so the enemy fighters could shoot them down rather than use his fighters to interfere.  They didn't even bother to fly their bombers over friendly AA to shoot some fighters down.  I really enjoyed it when they were complaining about the enemy AA when they were top tier.   Luckily, the enemy team was about as skilled as this CV player, and didn't bother to leave their spawn.  We ended up catching the enemy lexi, who was playing well, and killed them off.   I would bet if we didn't kill him, we would of lost.  He had free reign to keep us spotted and drop at will.  I was pretty salty during and after this match.   The player in question was just awful.  They played like garbage.   They didn't deserve to win.  I looked at their stats after, and it pretty much confirmed the thoughts i had about them during the match.   had they been a semi competent player, the match would of been better for all of our team.  I am pretty sure they are paying to skip up the line.  

players like that can leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
3,537 battles

It's hard to do anything in a Kaga when fighting a Saipan. 

Seems to be pretty point and click for the Saipan, where the Kaga has to get lucky to get even single strike off. 

Tier 6 vs. Tier 9

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,429 battles
3 minutes ago, Kanzler_Bismarck said:

It's hard to do anything in a Kaga when fighting a Saipan. 

Seems to be pretty point and click for the Saipan, where the Kaga has to get lucky to get even single strike off. 

Tier 6 vs. Tier 9

Dogfighting expert helps a great deal when dealing with the Saipan.  The problem, as I see it, is players purchasing premium cvs without a ranked commander to use.  Not all sales come with a 10 point commander.  CV is definitely the worst class of ship to buy if you've never played one or gotten past t4-5.

• Cool 3

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,469 battles
4 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

dunno, but its probably like 1-2 at most. 

Doesn't stop me from trying though. 

(Really, when playing seriously, I attempt to be another body for capping, or at least a meat shield if nothing else) 

okay.

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
3,537 battles
7 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Dogfighting expert helps a great deal when dealing with the Saipan.  The problem, as I see it, is players purchasing premium cvs without a ranked commander to use.  Not all sales come with a 10 point commander.  CV is definitely the worst class of ship to buy if you've never played one or gotten past t4-5.

I have dogfighting Ex and a 12 point Skipper in Kaga. Doesn't make a huge difference against tier 9 planes. 

The issue is you cannot really tie up his fighters as he can disingage with no penalty to pursue your strike fighters at will.

As tier 9 planes they travel much faster to and can intercept quickly. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,502 posts
8,101 battles
1 hour ago, Kanzler_Bismarck said:

I have dogfighting Ex and a 12 point Skipper in Kaga. Doesn't make a huge difference against tier 9 planes. 

The issue is you cannot really tie up his fighters as he can disingage with no penalty to pursue your strike fighters at will.

Agree with this. Saipan was already very good, borderline OP for its tier, at least when fighting other CVs, before the change. I haven't played CV's in randoms in a while because of the UI lag, but when I did, the only time I could beat a Saipan was if he was worse than me, equal skill or better and Saipan wins. Its 100% [edited] they can nerf all premium dd's, but refuse to nerf Saipan.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,013 posts
8,240 battles
11 hours ago, DingBat said:

Not surprised he ragequit. I endured a lot of Saipans while grinding thru Hiryu, and man those Corsairs are brutal.

Consistently found the only way to outplay a Saipan was alligator playstyle, force any dogfights to be near friendly AA (even a newbie Aoba's 5 and 3.1km AA is better than nothing) so better chance one Saipan fighter falls to that, as well as fast attacks on a desired target while the fighters were tied up. Even then I relied a lot on strafing and sacrificing my fighters to nail his.

Honestly, the strafe-escape mechanic shouldn't have been added, makes Saipan a lot harder since he can tie up on of your fighters with his, escape-strafe out while other strafes your planes.

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,245 battles

Saipan op, and I also find the rage quit is most common with CV players... cue Warbeasty.

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,429 battles
3 hours ago, Kanzler_Bismarck said:

Yes the lack of exit strafing penalty tips the scale.  US cvs have it a little easier due to attrition.

• Cool 1

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
3,537 battles
13 hours ago, murf4321 said:

Saipan op, and I also find the rage quit is most common with CV players... cue Warbeasty.

I don't think it's OP, per se. It just does not match up well for Kaga and really capitalizes on Kaga's weaknesses. 

Kaga  can feel pretty OP when you get 12 fish in the water bearing down on an unsuspecting BB...

[_AFW_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
551 posts
7,696 battles
5 hours ago, Kanzler_Bismarck said:

I don't think it's OP, per se. It just does not match up well for Kaga and really capitalizes on Kaga's weaknesses. 

Kaga  can feel pretty OP when you get 12 fish in the water bearing down on an unsuspecting BB...

No kidding. Kaga has absolutely insane strike power; Hakuryu alpha at tier 7. It can face tier 5s lol, and people complain about Midway being "too strong" with half the number of torps and inaccurate dive bombers. This is all the more hilarious since USN CVs trail IJN in all stats, except for the premium US CV Saipan.

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,245 battles

Yeah but the kaga has tier 6 planes.  Opposing CV can shred them. Esp. if a Kaga is v. Saipan.

Sign in to follow this