You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
digger52

AFK's and very slow loaders have reached plague proportions

36 comments in this topic

[TRW]
Beta Testers
52 posts
12,535 battles

Today in 10 battles, 6 of them we had an afk whole match, usually a high tier bb or DD , the other 4 had a DD load in each time at least 2 minutes after the match had started. This is getting ridiculous, why is it from country queensland Australia on a laptop i can be loaded in with 10 secs before the battle starts each time , there has to be a bigger issue than someone answering a doorbell, that is a 100% hit rate . The game is becoming unplayable due to frustration. When MM gives you 1 DD, the other team 2, and your only one is AFK, then you are screwed. Now in game ive heard other players noticing more very slow loaders or AFK's , is it a coding issue, never seen this in WOT, just the very occassional AFK.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,737 posts
8,298 battles

You can't blame slow loaders, everybody don't have this mega internet able to upload 2 video and still be able to play a game properly. The issue is to make the difference between slow loader and AFK. People tend to say someone is AFK just because they did not load in time (myself included). It would be great to have a little icon saying if the person is still loading / is in game, it would help to know who is AFK or not 

• Cool 3

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
3 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

You can't blame slow loaders, everybody don't have this mega internet able to upload 2 video and still be able to play a game properly. The issue is to make the difference between slow loader and AFK. People tend to say someone is AFK just because they did not load in time (myself included). It would be great to have a little icon saying if the person is still loading / is in game, it would help to know who is AFK or not 

It doesn’t always have to do with connection speed, or even the quality of the computer either. I’m honestly not sure what does it.

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I'd tell you that sometimes it seems as if the game goes to battle on its own. Other times it is a very slow load. Sometimes a very slow load gets you sunk. I had two today so I exited the game and restarted. Seems better now. 

[PSP]
Members
6,325 posts
8,945 battles

I've been curious about slow loading players since I started playing this game. My internet is decidedly slower than most, at 5 Mbps on a good day, but I've had no problems with loading. My guess is that many people are trying to play on an overloaded WiFi system at a college dorm, cafe, etc..

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,332 battles

I've got fiber to the router, wired gigabit ethernet to my PC , an i7 with a GTC1050 and WOWs on an SSD. 

I still don't load in time 2 or matches a day. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
271 posts
7,538 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I agree having an icon to show if a person has loaded in or not would be nice, hell AW has one if I remember correctly. There is one way that I know of to tell if the person hasn't loaded in yet, if you look at their ship the turrets will be in the default position unless WG changed it somewhere down the line. Meaning that the front turrets are facing towards the front while the rear ones are facing the rear of the ship, while if the person is AFK their turrets will be facing to one side or the other.. I noticed this awhile back when tooning with a buddy of mine and he started having connection issues causing him to load into the game slower than normal, the turrets also move back to the default position if they get DCed. I know it's hard to see if a ship hasn't loaded or is just AFK during the heat of battle using this trick.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,539 battles

I think there is something wrong with the update, I crashed twice in 1 game alone, I never crash. I also was having the serious frame rate issues and dsync even though my MS was around 50-70. Several players in a bunch of games complained about similar issues since the update

Beta Testers
147 posts
4,802 battles

I play later at night and while my pc usually loads within about 10 secs im still stuck waiting. So generally I will queue for battle and then alt tab and go do something else. Once I hear the battle start noise i will go back in shortly after so this can sometimes be a minute or so later. So it is not always down to slow PCs or crashes, I just got tired of waiting.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles

There’s been more than the usuall number updates lately, in the old days we would get either a big or small update and the next one would be weeks away ... now an update is often followed by small updates in a few days, I suppose not everyone’s computer is stable with it

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,733 battles

There is a direct connection between the plague of selfishness and the plague of people willing to sabotage their team for their own personal ends.  As long as they have fun, they don't care about ruining everyone else's fun.

[SMP]
Members
1 post
1,919 battles

I have gotten DCed from the game about 12 times today, I mostly play CO-OP so it probly wasnt felt but i have not been able to reconnect after it happens it must be the latest patch. I still use windows 7 so maybe that has something to do with it?

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,746 battles

It's been this way for the last three years, with periodic posts saying AFKs are ruining the game. Numerous solutions have been proposed....

Edited by Taichunger

[-CHH-]
Members
89 posts
3,952 battles

Easy way to tell AFK from disco/slow loader: if someone disconnects, or has not yet connected, the turrets will face straight fore/aft.  If their client is connected, the turrets will attempt to face the same direction.  It also works if someone is disconnected mid-match; their turrets will all turn back to their starting positions as the ship coasts to a stop.  Just watched one tonight, in fact.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

The funnier bit: 

I want to ask you exactly what is the proportion of a plague level impact? 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
4 hours ago, digger52 said:

Today in 10 battles, 6 of them we had an afk whole match, usually a high tier bb or DD , the other 4 had a DD load in each time at least 2 minutes after the match had started. This is getting ridiculous, why is it from country queensland Australia on a laptop i can be loaded in with 10 secs before the battle starts each time , there has to be a bigger issue than someone answering a doorbell, that is a 100% hit rate . The game is becoming unplayable due to frustration. When MM gives you 1 DD, the other team 2, and your only one is AFK, then you are screwed. Now in game ive heard other players noticing more very slow loaders or AFK's , is it a coding issue, never seen this in WOT, just the very occassional AFK.

What server?  I rarely see AFK players and certainly never had the idea that the game was unplayable due to it.  Sounds like you either just had a little run of bad luck or whatever.  I have dropped out of games.  Not often, but has happened.  I have had to run to the door once or twice.  I would appreciate not getting penalized due to it.  It's just a game dude.  If it causes you that much angst, maybe looking in the mirror is the better solution. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,303 posts
9,888 battles

Won a game tonight. Seemed to be 3 on 3 (1BB, 1CA and 1DD each side) at the end. Turned out the enemy Nagato had gone AFK at some point. I torped it at long range for the win as the clock ticked down. Not proud but we won by 5 points so we needed it for the win. People do drop even late in the game.

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

I was getting some really bad lag today, but I think it was my ISP, since netflix was also getting very pixelated at the same time.

It wasn't laggy enough to DC, but it sure made the gameplay... interesting

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
220 posts
6,478 battles

for me I have a potato computer (intel i5/no graphics card etc etc) usually i load in with somewhere between 15 to 5 sec before the match now i have been loading either right when the round starts to 1 min after :(

[TRW]
Beta Testers
52 posts
12,535 battles

Firstly I dont buy the internet speed thing. I am 100km north of brisbane australia, it is 11,000 km to the very west coast of the USA, I have played using a 3G USB modem, ADSL2 modem and now a broadband modem ( ping in game about 110) and never load in late except for a day or so a couple of patches back. I found by watching my disk access that Nortons 360 was analysing each file in WOWS every battle so changed the settings in Nortons for WOWS and never a problem since.

I do buy the fact that there seems to be some software issues within WOWS currently as multiple people are crashing on loading. Is it worth people sharing their operating system, PC specs, mods or no mods etc to troubleshoot as Wargamming doesnt seem to be.

Ive been in here since beta and I can tell you now is worse than ive ever seen by far, as I said today 100% of my battles a team mate either AFK the whole battle or didnt load in until 2 minutes or so after the battle started.

Some things wargamming could do

1/ Why is so much more of an issue with WOWS vs WOT - is there much more data being loaded? Is the software more unstable, is it since going to direct X11?

2/ Short term increase the load in time before the battle starts, id rather wait another 30 seconds if it meant one or more players was in before we start

3/ Make the AFK or late loader a bot till they take over , so that all ships are fighting

Whilst you may think im winging, what im trying to do is understand what is going on. Interestingly playing 8 hours later, 5 battles and not 1 AFK on any of my teams. There is definitely something odd going on.

As someone asked my definition of a plague as it was 10 out of 10 games, that is 100%, classifys as a plague event to me.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,528 battles

Because my computer is aging (can't update it further, looking for new computer) I run lower graphics for WoWS and for awhile, I was loading in and in game ringing up full speed for when the timer hit zero.

Then came an update.

Had the same graphic settings, suddenly I'm either just getting in game when the timer hits zero, or joining within seconds of the battle start.

Then I started loading in after the battle had already been going for about a minute or two. Still had the same graphics setting, but something else was going on.

Not sure about the rest of you, but do to longer loading times on my computer on initial start-up, I started just putting my computer into sleep mode, then waking it when I needed it. I have been doing this for a number of years now, only restarting the computer on weekends after applying the numerous updates that Windows demands.

I decided to try and run a restart of the computer before playing WoWS.

Suddenly I'm back to being in the game waiting for battle start.

Now that wasn't a cure all. I fluctuate between being in game before the battle starts, to joining in right at battle starts, to joining within 10 seconds of the battle start. I could come in with the battle already going, then next match waiting for the battle start. The games I enter late in, I get the lag alerts. The others not so much.

Is it possible it's on my end, yeah but WoWS seems to be the only game that really lags like this for me.

Other people running into a similar issue tells me some of the issue lies somewhere on the hosting server.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

Game requirements have crept up, no matter what WG says.  When I first started playing, I would always load before or within seconds of the match starting.  It kept getting worse and worse until a couple months ago it got to the point I'd regularly load 1-2 min late and would start to experience stuttering mid-game.

Fixed the problem by buying a new computer.  Now my system is pegged a 76 FPS and 30 ping every match.  I load whenever I want via the "Start Battle" button on the lobby screen.

It was just time for any upgrade.

[CVA16]
[CVA16]
Beta Testers
115 posts
13,313 battles

I have a fairly new computer , problem not on my end .I will put my $o.12 cents ,( ohh that's my $0.2 cents worth with inflationary cost ) in. The AFK is in an epidemic level, with no less than 1 player per game at the least, average is at least 2 guys AFK in a game ,1 from each team sometimes , but most likely 2 AFK from the same team . The late load in is another developing problem ,I got booted off right as we opened for battle, I got back to battle 3 min before game was over my ship Prinz Eugen was long ago sunk , this wasn't my fault it said  Server was having unexpected problems or something close to that , so who reimburses me my flags , camo , and premium time. The thing now is to sprint  to the enemy's  Spawn point and get at least 1 ship who is still there loading in, sad way to get a cheap kill but it works.This is a hosting server or a main server bug ,please address the getting kicked off , or game crashes, AFK is another issue all together.