Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pete_Darling

USS Silversides and USS Drum

9 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,774 battles

Anybody have the opportunity to visit USS Silversides or USS Drum, the last 2 ships in the Gato Class (LST-393 is one of the last 2 in their original configuration)? Back in the late 1990's I was able to stop at Alabama and Drum while I was in Mobile visiting a friend but never realized I live within 2 hours of Silversides and LST-393 (I think it was). 

https://silversidesmuseum.org/

I was goofing off and looking at the ships we had left in Michigan and found the story of Silversides a bit comical. Silversides was the only US ship that sank an enemy ship while flying the enemy flag!! Anyhow the cool thing I found it that you can reserve a nights stay on it. So in the Spring, when it reopens, I figured I would stay the night just for fun. Just wanted to toss that out for people in the area or looking for something fun to do (lived here my entire life and didn't know it was there). 

Edited by Pete_Darling
  • Cool 3

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,774 battles
26 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Thanks for pointing this out. It's only 4 hours from me and I didn't realize it existed.

Isn't that funny?  My grandparents started Grand Rapids Popcorn Company and live in Marne so I've been that way tons of times in my life and I had no idea either. 

[STW-A]
Members
162 posts

I've been at both the USS Silversides (Muskegon Michigan), and the USS Cod (Cleveland OH).  I haven't seen the Drum.

The Silversides is a 'working' submarine that hosts sleepovers, so it's a little more 'used' looking.  As of a few years ago (at least) they also started up the engines once a year.  I did stay overnight with a boy scout troop - and I'd recommend it highly, unless you're tall (bunks are short), or have to use the bathroom multiple times a night (gotta leave the sub, and use the museum bathroom.  It's nice to see the sub at night / sunrise though)

The Cod is a very well preserved Gato class submarine.  Honestly, it looked like the crew just stepped off -- bunks with period linens, typewriter, prop foodstuff cans, leather wraps on the diving wheels -- quite authentic.  Cleveland also hosts a great airshow during the Labor Day weekend, so there may be some period re-enactors in the lot by the sub.  The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame is also nearby.  (Entry and Exit are by the original submarine hatches, so if you're a large person, you may not fit...)

Enjoy your trip!

[HINON]
Supertester
3,924 posts
5,206 battles

The Silversides and Drum are far from the last ships of the Gato class, there are a number of other subs throughout the country of the Gato class.

[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,774 battles
14 minutes ago, Nuk_ said:

The Silversides and Drum are far from the last ships of the Gato class, there are a number of other subs throughout the country of the Gato class.

I see that - I thought I read it somewhere that it was. But then again They say Drum is in Michigan too and of course it's not. I corrected it's the LST that is. 

Edited by Pete_Darling

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

I recommend a Visit to the Drum. You should visit the Atached Aircraft Mueseum! They also have a collection of armor on Display, and the Alabama is Very close by!

and yes that tiny torpedo it's carrying is also the real thing, It's an acoustic torpedo.

plan to spend a day, or more depending, it can get buisy on weekends and when a school has a field trip. and bring water!

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
8 posts
9,288 battles

I can also recommend the SIlversides and the LST in Muskegon. My boy scout group got to spend the night on the sub quite a few years ago, and my reserve unit held our dining in party on the LST last month. Good times, and nice displays of the ships and historical artifacts.

Sign in to follow this