Trevzor

Message from the NA Publishing Team regarding the recent bans

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

158 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone!

Allow us to shed some light on the situation with temporary bans applied yesterday.

Some accounts that were using the ReShade software were subject to a ban yesterday. ReShade and the likes are mostly used to modify the visual content of the game, however, the root mechanics of such add-ons are very similar to some of the cheating mods & allow third parties to create malicious versions to inject into executable files & libraries. Unfortunately, this means, that while the intentions of most of our users are benign, the code can still be harmful. As of now all of ReShade users have been unbanned today and provided with compensation.

As we are working constantly on improving the game client's protection for the sake of fair play, such mods as Reshade (in addition to the proven cheat ones) have caused some bans, and therefore will soon be prohibited. We understand that you might like the variety they bring, but the risks of the modified source code being used to cheat or even steal your accounts, far outweigh the rewards in this case.

All of this means that we will soon issue an official statement, prohibiting its further use, as a part of our ongoing effort to protect the game client.

We are continuously investigating many 3rd party software modifications which become popular within our player base to ensure that their use will not affect our players now or in future. At the same time, we’re improving our engine to let mod-makers do their job & improve their mods using native engine methods.

As of right now, we ask that players remove ReShade and any similar mods to make sure you don’t receive any unwarranted bans or lose your account data to third parties.

Regards,

The World of Warships NA Publishing Team.

Thanks, Trev.

I see what you did there with the first line.  Thanks to the team for remedying the situation it could not have been a quick and easy task.

1 hour ago, Trevzor said:

Hello, everyone!

Allow us to shed some light on the situation with temporary bans applied yesterday.

Some accounts that were using the ReShade software were subject to a ban yesterday. ReShade and the likes are mostly used to modify the visual content of the game, however, the root mechanics of such add-ons are very similar to some of the cheating mods & allow third parties to create malicious versions to inject into executable files & libraries. Unfortunately, this means, that while the intentions of most of our users are benign, the code can still be harmful. As of now all of ReShade users have been unbanned today and provided with compensation.

As we are working constantly on improving the game client's protection for the sake of fair play, such mods as Reshade (in addition to the proven cheat ones) have caused some bans, and therefore will soon be prohibited. We understand that you might like the variety they bring, but the risks of the modified source code being used to cheat or even steal your accounts, far outweigh the rewards in this case.

All of this means that we will soon issue an official statement, prohibiting its further use, as a part of our ongoing effort to protect the game client.

We are continuously investigating many 3rd party software modifications which become popular within our player base to ensure that their use will not affect our players now or in future. At the same time, we’re improving our engine to let mod-makers do their job & improve their mods using native engine methods.

As of right now, we ask that players remove ReShade and any similar mods to make sure you don’t receive any unwarranted bans or lose your account data to third parties.

Regards,

The World of Warships NA Publishing Team.

Thanks. And apologies for my impatience and frustration. 

However, I didn't use reshade, so I am keeping my ticket open, and I kindly ask that a list of "Approved vs. Banned" mods be promptly drawn up, posted publicly.. etc..  so as I can make sure not to use them again... if the flagging was due to something on our end... If the flagging was all server side, then I assume that the issue is on y'alls end and I await a statement of "issue resolved."

At this point, I am uninstalling the game and all of aslains/other mods, and waiting an official list of banned vs. legal mods. 

Thanks again, and again my apologies for impatience.

thank you for the clarifying of this and the reversing the banning im removing all aslain to we know whats ok to use.  skywhale said it better will be waiting.

Edited by DeathsWeapon

I still cannot log in and it still says I'm banned, even after receiving your email. Please help!!!

5 minutes ago, RyBoFlayVin said:

I still cannot log in and it still says I'm banned, even after receiving your email. Please help!!!

We were manually removing bans, looks like your account was missed. I have gone ahead and removed the ban. 

1 minute ago, wacko17 said:

We were manually removing bans, looks like your account was missed. I have gone ahead and removed the ban. 

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

perhaps it's better for you guys to move this to the worldofwarships.com's news section, since you can't view forum from in-game, IIRC?

it's also better for userbase to know what's going on since the news would pop up on worldofwarships.com moment they go to the site, instead having to go to forum to see this.

FYI

and thank you for the clarifying the issue, guys.

(I wasn't affected though, lucky me)

Edited by MayMayZ

8 minutes ago, wacko17 said:

I also haven't had my ban removed despite receiving the email about it. Could you take a look?

17 minutes ago, wacko17 said:

Thank you very much. Was getting worried with the silence. I look forward to the official statement on what was causing the automatic bans.  The only thing I can think of is the game center launcher, as a common denominator other than aslain mods that may be similar to reshader.

11 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Thank you very much. Was getting worried with the silence. I look forward to the official statement on what was causing the automatic bans.  The only thing I can think of is the game center launcher, as a common denominator other than aslain mods that may be similar to reshader.

It is in the first post:

"Some accounts that were using the ReShade software were subject to a ban yesterday. ReShade and the likes are mostly used to modify the visual content of the game, however, the root mechanics of such add-ons are very similar to some of the cheating mods & allow third parties to create malicious versions to inject into executable files & libraries. Unfortunately, this means, that while the intentions of most of our users are benign, the code can still be harmful. As of now all of ReShade users have been unbanned today and provided with compensation. "

If you're gonna ban Reshade/SweetFX now, does that mean you're going to put out at minimum a filter with a vivid color correction so things don't look so washed out?

So the game will be looking like a game from 2008 forever? 

Thanks for taking away the last option to improve the graphics a bit.

2d "particles", BigWorld laggy 70FPS, non volumetric water and stretched skyboxes 

Still missing things like AO...

Good job!

Just now, ExploratorOne said:

It is in the first post:

"Some accounts that were using the ReShade software were subject to a ban yesterday. ReShade and the likes are mostly used to modify the visual content of the game, however, the root mechanics of such add-ons are very similar to some of the cheating mods & allow third parties to create malicious versions to inject into executable files & libraries. Unfortunately, this means, that while the intentions of most of our users are benign, the code can still be harmful. As of now all of ReShade users have been unbanned today and provided with compensation. "

Again, I said I didn't have reshader, and I am awaiting an official statement as to what mod we used on our end that got flagged, or if the system false flagged for other reasons. 

Therefore, until I know.. my reinstall will not have any mods ran.

I wouldn't mind if WG added a sharpening filter... or a better idea is to include ReShade natively. I didn't use their color correction but sharpening made everything more HD. Also native SMAA please.

So it is all about Reshade now. The extensive lists of permissible hacks that people were posting yesterday, saying you were being inconsistent in deleting them when everyone has all these hacks, have all been deleted. You give us a sanitized minimalist version today.

Instead, the fact is that every player should be given the same opportunities to learn and win. So, nothing! except certified disability aids, should be allowed to ANY player, unless it is available to all (as in make a box on the Controls screen for Reshade or whatever etc.). Anything less is allowing corrupt individuals, a treadmill to greater cheating.

I know you don't care about such claims for a level playing field. So the choice becomes, should I play the game I'm enjoying, or quit and leave (+$500 in) because I recognize there are no ethics in this Ryssian game populated by the Trumpish unemployed who are looking to be funded by a gov't they think should be smaller? Politics aside, this should be a fair game...

3 minutes ago, Wadmore_Canada said:

So it is all about Reshade now. The extensive lists of permissible hacks that people were posting yesterday, saying you were being inconsistent in deleting them when everyone has all these hacks, have all been deleted. You give us a sanitized minimalist version today.

Instead, the fact is that every player should be given the same opportunities to learn and win. So, nothing! except certified disability aids, should be allowed to ANY player, unless it is available to all (as in make a box on the Controls screen for Reshade or whatever etc.). Anything less is allowing corrupt individuals, a treadmill to greater cheating.

I know you don't care about such claims for a level playing field. So the choice becomes, should I play the game I'm enjoying, or quit and leave (+$500 in) because I recognize there are no ethics in this Ryssian game populated by the Trumpish unemployed who are looking to be funded by a gov't they think should be smaller? Politics aside, this should be a fair game...

Bro, I have over 10 times as much money into Wargaming as you claim you have. And, I was vindicated as not having be one of the legitimately banned players.

Furthermore, everyone has the access to the mods. They're all listed in the forum. Wargaming even gave us our own subforum for mods. 

How much money in, is not the question. We have both bought in to our capacities. Also, it is not about you, legitimately or illegally banned or not.

Yes, it is about mod use. You say everyone has access to them, but no, most players don't even know that ACCEPTABLE mods exist. They are just chumps and cannon fodder, I guess to you and those "in the know".

Look when I sit down to game of poker I need to check the room, my seat and the other characters, but can't I depend on the deck of cards being standard or the house at least trying to keep it standard. Not here.

This is like the US Congress, where the lobbyists are given a constant drip of advantages because they do nothing else but study and hack, with much bad money behind them, while the poor voter just gets what is left. It is time to object to what is "normal".

Is it ok to trash people or an entire country because half of them do not share someone's political opinion?  

I have never been so happy to have no mods on my account in my life. Thanks for the FYI.

Hi DaNgEr_KiTtY.

Well it seems to be what the Racist in Chief is teaching us. I don't agree, but I can fight fire with fire.

Guys, let me clarify this point.

As publishers we truly believe in power of transparency and openness, and we try to share maximum with you.

However, we can't be 100% transparent on some topics.

For example:

• we can't and won't share personal data of players
  • we have policy against naming and shaming
  • we can't share sensitive financial data
  • we can't share known cheats and exploits

All of these points are pretty much common for the industry.

If we commit to share such information and keep it up to date, we do a big favor to cheat-makers, who would game our detection methods.

Unfortunately, this is a strong enough reason for us to stay mysterious about our actual knowledge on the topic.

Sorry, if this "clarification" brought more questions than answers.