You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Seadog_Supreme

Fog of War Realism

48 comments in this topic

Members
1,866 posts

How about some more realistic "fog of war" battles? Real battles didn't have handy ship names with HP bars. I know, I know, it's a game. But I think it would be fun to play with some of the real-life limitations naval commanders had to deal it. They only guessed, what ship, by looking at them through binoculars. So what I would suggest, is no ship names, only the type, DD, CA, Etc., and no HP bar. That should make the angry sea interesting!

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

No just no this is and arcade game not a simulator if you want what you are asking for then go play war thunder naval battles when it come out

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,295 battles

And no shared vision, spotted ships are only visible on the min map (which would be like a plotting table).

Members
519 posts
3,356 battles

"But I think it would be fun to play with some of the real-life limitations naval commanders had to deal it." yep you think, I don't see how it would be fun if I want that I'll play an RTS like Total War.....

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
17 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

How about some more realistic "fog of war" battles? Real battles didn't have handy ship names with HP bars. I know, I know, it's a game. But I think it would be fun to play with some of the real-life limitations naval commanders had to deal it. They only guessed, what ship, by looking at them through binoculars. So what I would suggest, is no ship names, only the type, DD, CA, Etc., and no HP bar. That should make the angry sea interesting!

You can turn down your settings to remove some of the game info above ships. I had to play on a laptop that could barely run the game and it defaulted to not have the game info above the ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles
19 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

There was an over target marker bug back in alpha that caused the game to be a lot like what you are asking for.

6 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

"But I think it would be fun to play with some of the real-life limitations naval commanders had to deal it." yep you think, I don't see how it would be fun if I want that I'll play an RTS like Total War.....

Like the USS Washington wondering where the heck the South Dakota went.

Members
1,866 posts
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

You can turn down your settings to remove some of the game info above ships. I had to play on a laptop that could barely run the game and it defaulted to not have the game info above the ships.

I would only be interested if it was the same for everyone. Not going to handicap myself in PvP.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles
13 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

there's always Silent Hunter. Or Battlestations: Pacific.

I had Silent Hunter 4 and WOWS running at the same time -- once.

It tore a hole in the space/time continuum and sucked the Earth into a Black Hole......   NEVER AGAIN...   No Subs.

Members
1,788 posts
5,664 battles

With mixed nations this would be impossible, but if we had Axis vs Allie's then I would say yes it would be a great idea. You would have to identify ships.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,732 posts
29 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Don't think it's possible. In the real world a fleet was all one country, and a captain was familiar with all the ships in his fleet. They could recognise them on sight like you know your dog.

In the game, how do you tell an enemy Bismarck from an ally?

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
22 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I would only be interested if it was the same for everyone. Not going to handicap myself in PvP.

You could do it in co-op. High tier co-op is much harder than low tier, even though it is not as hard as PvP. 

Or if you got some like minded people together, you could have each side pick a nation and battle in a training room..

Members
3,725 posts
15,025 battles
46 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Press ctrl + G during a match and have fun then.

Members
1,866 posts
12 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Don't think it's possible. In the real world a fleet was all one country, and a captain was familiar with all the ships in his fleet. They could recognise them on sight like you know your dog.

In the game, how do you tell an enemy Bismarck from an ally?

I meant for the red team only.

[TBOW]
Members
261 posts
3,859 battles

If you want realism there are far far better games, some of which have already been mentioned above.

It's like asking a game like Midnight Club to be like DiRT Rally 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

LWM and some others played around with this arrangement a while back, apparently it was entertaining.

That said (and said again and again...), any mode choices that split the queue are non-starters with WG, so this will only ever be a pipe dream unless several million WoWS players suddenly appear and fill the queues.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,427 posts
9,554 battles
2 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Just turn off your UI.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,149 posts
14,555 battles

If you want "Realism"

Radar would be installed as a default consumable on every USN & RN ship and is always on.

The US Navy had such an abundance of Radar, even dinky little PT boats and submarines had them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles

Back in the day when I used to play WOT I tried playing War Thunder Ground Forces. It too was a tank game but less arcade. I hated it. That type of realism sounds better than it actually is

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you want "Realism"

Radar would be installed as a default consumable on every USN & RN ship and is always on.

The US Navy had such an abundance of Radar, even dinky little PT boats and submarines had them.

Man I love how people forget that Japan and Germany had radar too.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Do one thing CTRL G and your wish is granted

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

Man I love how people forget that Japan and Germany had radar too.

Yes, they did have it but they were far behind the Allies in its development and its capabilities with the Japanese far behind the Germans.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,161 battles

To be blunt OP, simulators are only liked by a small number of players for a reason, alot of the idiotic "I think this will be good" is often by dreamers who have no idea how horrible the actual idea would be in implimentation. if you want to go with a "it's realistic" mindset to your suggestions to WoWS, just stop, immediately. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,282 battles

I would rather see WG improve their cyclone because what we have now is just a little rain that reduce your vision....and that's all.  i mean, their cyclone is really peaceful : no huge wave, almost no wind, just a little rain and that's all.

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
948 posts
10,409 battles

Yeah... you know what else is real? Taking a week to sail to where you want to be and the enemy fleet isn't even there because your intelligence report is outdated. Plenty of time to scrub the decks and polishing brass though... fun and engaging like detonations!. :cap_book: