Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Osiris_USN_DD9

Farragut advice desperately needed

8 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
585 battles

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your advice. I'm still a noob and I really like playing the USN destroyers. However, I am having serious issues with playing them since I graduated from the Clemson.  I am currently piloting the Farragut. Things have really gone down hill for me as far as contributing to my team , my damage output and win rate. I attempted to use the same tactics  I used up to tier 4 because it worked. I watched as many videos as possible and try to put into practice what I have learned.  For example. I use Islands to set up ambushes, provided smoke for my teammates , and used smoke to conceal  myself when I shoot at an enemy.  I enjoy hunting other DDs, spotting and going  for caps. I've also noticed that smoke seems to not be that effective for me especially with the Farragut  and I suspect that It I'm  encountering more  ships with radar. Also what do you do about all of the aircraft? I ask this too because they seem to  cause me the the most grief because as soon as I'm detected, seconds later I am blown out the water. Please help. I know there must be something that I am missing.  I know that it is not the ship because I've seen what USn dds  can do in the hands of a good player. Thanks...

[LHSU]
Members
622 posts
11 minutes ago, Osiris_USN_DD9 said:

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your advice. I'm still a noob and I really like playing the USN destroyers. However, I am having serious issues with playing them since I graduated from the Clemson.  I am currently piloting the Farragut. Things have really gone down hill for me as far as contributing to my team , my damage output and win rate. I attempted to use the same tactics  I used up to tier 4 because it worked. I watched as many videos as possible and try to put into practice what I have learned.  For example. I use Islands to set up ambushes, provided smoke for my teammates , and used smoke to conceal  myself when I shoot at an enemy.  I enjoy hunting other DDs, spotting and going  for caps. I've also noticed that smoke seems to not be that effective for me especially with the Farragut  and I suspect that It I'm  encountering more  ships with radar. Also what do you do about all of the aircraft? I ask this too because they seem to  cause me the the most grief because as soon as I'm detected, seconds later I am blown out the water. Please help. I know there must be something that I am missing.  I know that it is not the ship because I've seen what USn dds  can do in the hands of a good player. Thanks...

Hi @Osiris_USN_DD9, maybe you've seen these videos, but if not, maybe they'll help you like they did for me:

Spoiler

Old:

New:

Greetings.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles

Congratulations! you have successfully passed the artificial MM barrier WoW has put in place at tier 4 to protect noob players. From here on in you will be seeing +2 MM, which means your ships can be thrown into matches 2 tiers higher than they are.

Enjoy!

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles

The biggest change to DD play (in my experience) once you get into the higher tiers is that game play is less forgiving and mistakes are punished much more harshly. Make sure that you always have an exit plan when you decide to push. What are you going to do when you fire on a red DD and end up 8-10km away from their supporting cruisers? What if their cruisers have radar? Are you supported by your team properly or did you go off somewhere solo?

You'll figure it out as long as the frustration of the steep learning curve doesn't get you first. Best of luck! 

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,167 battles

step 1) find any same tier or lower DD, lower tiered cruiser or any battleship not paying attention (IE his guns aren't pointing at you) step 2) if your victim is a DD murder him, if a cruiser shoot him wait for him to shoot back and slow down to half speed while you lay smoke and let a team mate spot him, if a BB you either ambush him around an island or lay smoke near him and wait for him to run or rush, if he runs set him on fire, if he rushes shoot him till he reaches about 4-5 km and then look at his guns, exit the smoke in the direction that they are not facing, sail to his side and torpedo him. step 3) harvest salt.

If there are no suitable targets available go cap bases and use your torps on smoke and smoke up damaged allies.

edit; topping smoke sometimes makes you feel really good; I managed to dev strike a Belfast in his smoke.

Edited by Herodotus4

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,040 battles

As Umikami notes, you just stepped off a cliff in regards to the relative challenge that MM will present you with.  You aren't imagining it, the game really did just get more difficult for you.  A bit of a drop off in your performance while you get used to it is normal.

Plus, depending on what/where you're willing to spend on the game, now that you're at T6 the stock grind takes a little longer.  Many players will advise you to use Free XP to skip stock grinds, and that's certainly one way of doing things.  I personally find saving Free XP to make sure I strand as little dedicated XP on ships at the end of the grind as possible to be a more efficient use of Free XP, but to each their own.  My point here is that it may also be taking you longer to get to the point where you're driving the best version of your tier 6 ship that you'll be able to get.

I suggest you learn the lowest possible detection radius for as many of the T6, T7 and T8 DD's as you can, and overall play just a bit more cautious than you have until now.  Knowing those detection ranges will help you keep in mind who you're vulnerable against at the beginning of a match.  It can also help you figure out who is spotting you when you can't see them yet. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,459 posts
8,107 battles

This is basically the tier knowing your ship is not enough, you need to know the enemy as well.

Some ships are going to have Radar, Belfast for certain, not sure what other tier 7-8 ones have it off the top of my head. Learn them, use tab to see if the enemy has them, if they do, be ready to hit alt key when you spot cruisers to check what it is and if it's a radar ship, bug out and wait till your team sinks it. Though, try and keep it spotted. If they have none, play normally.

Know the enemy DD's, their spotting range, and what their deal is. Know that the IJN DD's likely spot you first, and that your best bet when spotted if they have help, drop smoke and run. Otherwise if they are alone, open up on them, make it a gun fight you have better guns. Know that you have as much or possibly better stealth than the higher tier USN DD's, keep them lit if you can for the team, try not to directly engage, they have better guns, especially Benson. Look in the tech tree at spotting ranges, anything that can't get the 6th slot against a 10 point or more commander as a DD likely has the CE skill (if you don't have it, get it) that knocks 10% off spotting range for a DD. Basically, subtract the number on the left (full km) from the right (fractions of a km) and an additional .1 e'll say for the camo, that's typically lowest spotting range that DD can get, so Mahan would be around 7-7.1 km (just because it's nearly 8 as is, not sure what, if anyway, Wargaming rounds certain things). rough estimate, but enough to know if it'll spot you first or not, and if it does spot you, about how far away it is.

Most cruisers at this point, several BB's, have hydro, torps may not be as effective. Cruisers are basically death incarnate to DD's at this tier, do not engage unless at range in smoke or you absolutely have to. BB's, make sure your out of secondary range of them, try to keep an eye on main turrets, far enough out you can turn as they fire, or just keep randomly changing direction a bit as you fire. HE all the way, watch them burn. Also learn the true skills of torpedo launching, namely, how to judge angle and speed of the enemy so that while you can only hit a target 6.2 km away and you have a 6.6 km spotted range, they end up inside the torp range by the time they arrive where the torps are and you have fired them without being spotted. It's tricky, but worth learning till you get to ships with stealth torp ability like Benson.

USN DD's at this tier really show their tilt toward hunting other DD's in solo engagements or annoying an enemy BB at range, and simply keeping an enemy cruiser lit to be hammered by your team, only maybe sparingly joining in when it's distracted or near dead.

Sign in to follow this