You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Fixing Huang He (Preview) - Let’s Discuss How to Make Her Better

88 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

She needs help.  This much we know.  She’s a pass for now, but with 8.1 concealment, she’s got the makings for potential.  I think a ROF and Range buff could take her from meh to yeah.  What say you?

[SF-A]
Members
2,901 posts
5,719 battles

Range and hit points. The guns are ok, but they need to engage enemies from a slightly safer distance.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,218 battles

From what I’ve heard from my friends on Discord, the PA DDs are basically carbon copies of DDs from other nations with a little variations here and there. The TX is basically a Gearing with Radar and DWT. I think maybe give them some sort of true national flavor instead of some gimmick like Radar. Really good AA is a national flavor which belongs mainly to the US. Having engine boost on CAs is more a gimmick to the French CAs....

As for what that national flavor could/should be is always up for debate

Edited by FireAndHEspam

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

Run aft? The range mod? This ship can get 5.6 concealment, and has nearly invisible torps

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

5.6 concealment?  I was running cammo and comcealment COT Skill.  8.1 is as low as it goes from what I can see.  Would be insane to have a cruiser with 5.6 concealment.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
24 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

The TX is basically a Gearing

What is the Huang He supposed to be a clone of?

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

It’s not.  It’s ex HMS Aurora which was an Arethusa class CL.

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles

Smoke, it needs some kind of smoke whether Perth like or Leander. For all I care it could be the AA sistership of the Perth. Maybe I'm biased because I love the Perth.

PS Zoup stop by the NA Community Discord https://discord.gg/YNNhEA

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,332 battles

Why is it tier 6? 

Wouldn't it be better to just move it to tier 5? 

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
5 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Why is it tier 6? 

Wouldn't it be better to just move it to tier 5? 

It does seem a better fit for 5.  Except I think the torps and concealment are stronger than the average T5.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

My question is not how, but why. Why are we getting a (beyond) fantasy ship that no one asked for?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,816 posts
10,379 battles
2 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

It does seem a better fit for 5.  Except I think the torps and concealment are stronger than the average T5.

It would be very easy for WG to change the torpedo values, and I don't think it's a big deal as she has a fairly limited 3-torp broadside.

The concealment is very good, but also a big chunk of what she has going for her compared to the heavier hitting cruisers.

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,332 battles
4 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

To me, it indicates a problem if one ship, without changes, is really under-powered for tier 6 and is over-powered for T5. 

Of course, the tiers are a big problem in and of themselves. This cruiser, as your video showed, is dead meat in T7-8. But at T4 (where it could play as a T5), it would probably devastate. 
So, they make it bad and lower the tier or give some special to make it moderately survivable at T7-T8 where it will actually spend most of its time. 

The ships don't seem to be problem... 

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
Just now, chewonit said:

My question is not how, but why. Why are we getting a (beyond) fantasy ship that no one asked for?

I can’t answer the why.  Huang He isn’t a fantasy ship.  She did exist being owned by the RN and then China squired her in ‘48.  You have to remember, there is a significant WoWS population in Asia.  I think WG is trying to give them some ships as well.

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
1 minute ago, OgreMkV said:

To me, it indicates a problem if one ship, without changes, is really under-powered for tier 6 and is over-powered for T5. 

Of course, the tiers are a big problem in and of themselves. This cruiser, as your video showed, is dead meat in T7-8. But at T4 (where it could play as a T5), it would probably devastate. 
So, they make it bad and lower the tier or give some special to make it moderately survivable at T7-T8 where it will actually spend most of its time. 

The ships don't seem to be problem... 

MM is an ongoing issue.  It has all but destroyed T5 gameplay.  

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
27 minutes ago, Umikami said:

The clones are all in the DD line.

The T10 is a modified Alan M Sumner which was itself a modified gearing class.

The T9 is a modified Fletcher.

T8 Lo Yang is the former USS Benson.

Tech tree T8 is a Gleaves class destroyer which was a Benson class made using slightly different machinery from the original Benson.

T7 is a British N-class destroyer.

T6 Anshan is the former USSR Rekordny, a Gnevny class destroyer.

Tech tree T6 is also a Gnevny copy.

T5 is a paper boat project T.306.

T4 is a rearmed Minekaze class given to China after WW2. According to the wiki she is armed with old USN 5"/51 guns similar to lower tier USN dd's.

T3 is a former British R-class destroyer.

T2 is a paper ship that was ordered before WW1 from Germany whos design formed the basis of the V-25 class.

Essentially there are no actual Asian designs, just surplus or paper ships from other nations.

Edited by biggie1447

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
7 minutes ago, biggie1447 said:

The clones are all in the DD line.

The T10 is a modified Alan M Sumner which was itself a modified gearing class.

The T9 is a modified Fletcher.

T8 Lo Yang is the former USS Benson.

Tech tree T8 is a Gleaves class destroyer which was a Benson class made using slightly different machinery from the original Benson.

T7 is a British N-class destroyer.

T6 Anshan is the former USSR Rekordny, a Gnevny class destroyer.

Tech tree T6 is also a Gnevny copy.

T5 is a paper boat project T.306.

T4 is a rearmed Minekaze class given to China after WW2. According to the wiki she is armed with old USN 5"/51 guns similar to lower tier USN dd's.

T3 is a former British R-class destroyer.

T2 is a paper ship that was ordered before WW1 from Germany whos design formed the basis of the V-25 class.

Essentially there are no actual Asian designs, just surplus or paper ships from other nations.

This is correct.  Though, clones isn’t entirely accurate for all ships.  Some will be new to the game.  The Gearing was actually born out of the Sumner, it’s predecessor.  The Sumner is shorter in length.  It seems that deep water torps will be the DD line’s gimmick.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles
6 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I can’t answer the why.  Huang He isn’t a fantasy ship.  She did exist being owned by the RN and then China squired her in ‘48.  You have to remember, there is a significant WoWS population in Asia.  I think WG is trying to give them some ships as well.

Huang He was the name of a planned salvage/commercial ship to be converted from the salvaged hull of the said ex-RN cruiser. Even that didn't pan out for cost issue. She was than converted into a barrack ship and renamed Beijing.

The name Huang He was never associated with a war ship.

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
412 posts
5,682 battles
6 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Huang He was the name of a planned salvage/commercial ship to be converted from the salvaged hull of the said ex-RN cruiser. Even that didn't pan out for cost issue. She was than converted into a barrack ship and renamed Beijing.

Maybe the name didn't exist as a warship, but the ship itself did exist. 

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
5 minutes ago, chewonit said:

So it should have been the Chun King then, which was the ship’s name as the Chinese flag ship.  So yes, Huang He is a bit fudged, but the ship did exist as both RN and Chinese.

Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

She needs help.  This much we know.  She’s a pass for now, but with 8.1 concealment, she’s got the makings for potential.  I think a ROF and Range buff could take her from meh to yeah.  What say you?

What's wrong with meh? Somebody has to be there. Even if it were worse than "meh", who cares? It's not like no other line has any stinkers.

You want to fix it? Put it somewhere else, instead of a tier where 6 6" guns isn't a weak armament.

We keep this up, eventually we'll be giving patrol vessels railguns and nuclear torpedoes so that they're not "meh" at Tier 6.

WG wanted to make a melting pot nation of warships, and chose a region where the ships are all hand-me-downs, with not even napkin designs to fill in the spaces.

They made their bed, let them lie in it.

• Cool 3

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
10 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This is correct.  Though, clones isn’t entirely accurate for all ships.  Some will be new to the game.  The Gearing was actually born out of the Sumner, it’s predecessor.  The Sumner is shorter in length.  It seems that deep water torps will be the DD line’s gimmick.

Whups... got them backwards... Thanks for that correction Zoup.

I am just kinda disappointed that these ships will be combining both Japanese and USN dd's into a single line.  Good guns with powerful torpedoes.... IDK how i really feel about them. I know the deep water torps will not hit destroyers but this line just seems likely to invalidate the Japanese DD line and most of the benefits of the USN one as well.

[SIM]
Members
2,548 posts
4,190 battles

Slight nerfs and a drop to Tier V, or maybe *gasp* Deep Water Torpedoes? That way she'd have guns for hunting down DDs, and DWTs for deleting everything else in the game. She definitely does not need smoke.  

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

What's wrong with meh? Somebody has to be there. Even if it were worse than "meh", who cares? It's not like no other line has any stinkers.

You want to fix it? Put it somewhere else, instead of a tier where 6 6" guns isn't a weak armament.

We keep this up, eventually we'll be giving patrol vessels railguns and nuclear torpedoes so that they're not "meh" at Tier 6.

WG wanted to make a melting pot nation of warships, and chose a region where the ships are all hand-me-downs, with not even napkin designs to fill in the spaces.

They made their bed, let them lie in it.

In honesty, the ship isn’t even meh right now.  Meh I can deal with.  There are plenty of meh ships.  Meh ships fill the game.  This ship is more blech than meh.

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

Slight nerfs and a drop to Tier V, or maybe *gasp* Deep Water Torpedoes? That way she'd have guns for hunting down DDs, and DWTs for deleting everything else in the game. She definitely does not need smoke.  

Deep Water torps would be a very intriguing addition...

• Cool 1