Sign in to follow this  
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Is this a Gato-class submarine hatch lever?

15 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,959 battles

Hello!  I know that this isn't a submarine sort of game, but I was wondering if somebody can confirm whether this artifact is really a submarine hatch lever from a Gato-class submarine.  It is supposedly from the USS Hake.  I would try and confirm if I could, but I haven't visited any of the Gato-class submarine museums...so I don't know.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

• Cool 1

5,336 posts
3,959 battles
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

It may be time to stop buying antiques from questionable sources.

This is from another seller.  Besides the USS Alliance, I do have a more authentic piece from an old English destroyer.  That I know is authentic since I have lots of paperwork for it.

I also have a few ashtrays and pieces of wood from ships.  It's just a side hobby.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

If it is I find it very strange a "label" would be affixed with what appears to be set screws indicating the direction to lock the hatch. You'd think it would be standard, welded or forged into the handle. Let us know what you find out, right? 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,539 posts
2,148 battles

Don't know anything, but it seems odd that the name "Hake" is all that's engraved around the edge. Most things engraved have the "USS" and then the ship number (SS XXX) as well. That's what jumps out at me. On the other end, would a real locking handle have the ship name engraved on it? Seems a bit silly, but then again, this is the government we're talking about.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,266 battles

it would certainly looks like a hatch handle, and it would be for a small hatch or interior sub door.

it is not a wheel, so it is most likely not a deck hatch lever.

it could be an inside passageway latch. The two balls are normally found on Submarine hatches for quick closing.

The label being done with set screws makes sense, as the dogs on the hatch are on way and therefore what is clockwise on one side is counter clockwise on the other.

I would guess the "Hake" is not original to being put in use, however if a boat was being parted out during the scraping process it may have been labeled as indicator or a remembrance.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If it is I find it very strange a "label" would be affixed with what appears to be set screws indicating the direction to lock the hatch. You'd think it would be standard, welded or forged into the handle. Let us know what you find out, right? 

I don't find that unusual, Reitz; I am not sure the US Navy welded as many things historically as they do now. In other words, I wonder at the level of advancement welding had taken at that point in WW2 or beyond. The fact that it is labeled to indicate which direction locks it in place somewhat re-assures me because the navy, which had long experience turning American boys who had never seen a ship into American sailors, wanted everything to be geared to the least informed sailor, for both safety (an important submarine concern) and ease of education.

What concerns me more are the (legitimate) concerns of @AJTP89, when he says "it seems odd that the name "Hake" is all that's engraved around the edge. Most things engraved have the "USS" and then the ship number (SS XXX) as well" and also "would a real locking handle have the ship name engraved on it? Seems a bit silly, but then again, this is the government we're talking about". In my opinion, these concerns are more legit than the handle lock tag, which I feel is OK.

My opinion.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,266 battles

ok

so I have checked three submarine movies, Run Silent Run deep, crash Dive and Operation Petticoat all the interior hatches have straight not curved handles, you might  to check with

USS Bowfin, Pacific Avenger Museum of the Pacific

USS Silversides, Muskeegon, Michaghan

USS Pompaniito < San Francisco Ca.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,266 battles
5,336 posts
3,959 battles
5 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Don't know anything, but it seems odd that the name "Hake" is all that's engraved around the edge. Most things engraved have the "USS" and then the ship number (SS XXX) as well. That's what jumps out at me. On the other end, would a real locking handle have the ship name engraved on it? Seems a bit silly, but then again, this is the government we're talking about.

4 hours ago, Umikami said:

I don't find that unusual, Reitz; I am not sure the US Navy welded as many things historically as they do now. In other words, I wonder at the level of advancement welding had taken at that point in WW2 or beyond. The fact that it is labeled to indicate which direction locks it in place somewhat re-assures me because the navy, which had long experience turning American boys who had never seen a ship into American sailors, wanted everything to be geared to the least informed sailor, for both safety (an important submarine concern) and ease of education.

What concerns me more are the (legitimate) concerns of @AJTP89, when he says "it seems odd that the name "Hake" is all that's engraved around the edge. Most things engraved have the "USS" and then the ship number (SS XXX) as well" and also "would a real locking handle have the ship name engraved on it? Seems a bit silly, but then again, this is the government we're talking about". In my opinion, these concerns are more legit than the handle lock tag, which I feel is OK.

My opinion.

3 hours ago, StingRayOne said:

So...thus far.  We're split between potential fake...or real hatch with an added label of Hake?  I talked to the guy and he said that he bought it from a military veteran.  It might be an older gentleman typing because the message was very rough.  Also, he has apparently sold a lot of naval items in the shop's history.

Unfortunately, I have never seen one of the Gato submarines in-person (though I have visited Pearl Harbor...I have never visited Bowfin -_-), so I don't know if the hatch is real...or a very clever fake.  The Hake was scrapped, so maybe that stamp could be added on by the scrappers?

Thanks again for your analysis.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Have to say as i pondered that stamping... I thought maybe whoever salvaged it took out a typeset, hammered it in there so they would not need to remember from what ship it was sourced. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
101 posts
8,566 battles

You can try messaging someone from the USS Intrepid museum in Manhattan. They have the sub USS Growler as an exhibit, which is not a Gato class, but as it is a LARGE and well funded museum they might have someone that could talk to you via email about it with pictures. But the Buffalo, NY museum DOES have a Gato class sub, as does Mobile, Alabama. You could try calling any of the places in the US that have Gato subs, there are actually quite a few preserved. 

5,336 posts
3,959 battles
1 hour ago, MikeTheRipper12 said:

You can try messaging someone from the USS Intrepid museum in Manhattan. They have the sub USS Growler as an exhibit, which is not a Gato class, but as it is a LARGE and well funded museum they might have someone that could talk to you via email about it with pictures. But the Buffalo, NY museum DOES have a Gato class sub, as does Mobile, Alabama. You could try calling any of the places in the US that have Gato subs, there are actually quite a few preserved. 

Yeah.  I probably should check to see if the item matches the other Gato-class submarines.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this