You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Perth: Spotter vs, Fighter

26 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

For a long time I held the mistaken belief that spotter planes didn't actually "see" anything unless a teammate was spotting it already. A forum member recently corrected me, so I tried it out in Training Room. Perth vs. Podvoisky and 2 Fusos. Once I'd spotted both Fusos, I slowed down and popped my smoke. They disappeared. Launching scout planes made them reappear. Note that when the planes circled behind me, the Podvoisky wasn't spotted any more. 

Putting the special spotter plane upgrade in the first slot on Perth increases the duration to 243 seconds.  That's a lot of spotting. Also increases your range from 12.8 to 15.4km. 

There are significant downsides. Shooting with your view from 100 feet above the ship is totally different and hard to use at first. Plus the spotter planes are more fragile than fighters, and they don't help defend against enemy planes. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,398 battles

In general, it is considered that Fighters are better than Spotters. Other than said disadvantages, they have a longer reload time and do not help disperse torpedo/bomb drops (not just shooting them down). Additionally, Fighters can spot ships as well, just not as well as Spotter aircraft. There is also the tendency for Spotter aircraft to, due to the range, incline some to snipe instead of doing something more useful. Worse still (do correct me if I'm wrong however) the extended range of which you can fire will make you get spotted at that range, and keep you there for 20 seconds.

However, it should be noted that a Spotter aircraft singles you out as a dirty sniper who has no skill at the game. Meaning that some of the enemy team (and your teammates) can get quite surprised at the sight of a Spotter aircraft right above them...

[TBW]
Members
6,419 posts
12,065 battles

The problem with spotters is the aiming is all off. I tend to use the fighters because they detect ships and the aiming isn't from a god blessed plane. I also tend not to even want to use the spotter plane on ships that can only mount them. It's stupid to make the aiming different you are still shooting from the ship so the aiming should not change. I mean really, I am not shooting from the plane suddenly. I am still shooting from the ship. It's one of the worst mechanics in the game. It makes me not even ever want to use the stupid aiming gimmick. I tend to stay away from using them unless I have to to spot an enemy. I do get lucky from time to time and actually hit something when forced to use it.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I was a fighter guy until I saw how spotters helped add a perspective on ships hidden in smoke- looking at you British CLs- 

I've spec'd spotters ever since and haven't regretted it. Want some AA? Stay close to a cruiser. 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Members
3,370 posts
12,206 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The problem with spotters is the aiming is all off. I tend to use the fighters because they detect ships and the aiming isn't from a god blessed plane. I also tend not to even want to use the spotter plane on ships that can only mount them. It's stupid to make the aiming different you are still shooting from the ship so the aiming should not change. I mean really, I am not shooting from the plane suddenly. I am still shooting from the ship. It's one of the worst mechanics in the game. It makes me not even ever want to use the stupid aiming gimmick. I tend to stay away from using them unless I have to to spot an enemy. I do get lucky from time to time and actually hit something when forced to use it.

I agree that the aim when using a spotter is skewed. I find it hard to adjust and be as effective. But I give WG credit for trying to employ the Forward Observer role here. IRL the spotter had the view and gave the ship range and bearing to the target and adjusted fire when seeing where the rounds went. It technically is a "bird's eye" view of the action. It takes getting used to. I just don't play many ships that use scout planes so I haven't gotten used to it.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,885 posts
11,604 battles

I just can't aim from the perspective of the spotter plane.  I have tried but for me it's such a waste. I use the fighter on everything I can, some ships I can only use the spotter so I will launch it at the start of the match allowing me to get a salvo or two out before I would have otherwise been able too. I notice that seems to sometimes catch people by surprise so I catch a nice long range broadside or something.

[SF-3]
Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

fighters if you like to yolo when a cv is in the game and spotter if you like the taste of smoke camping fools tears.

Edited by Kevs02Accord

Members
646 posts
4,282 battles

Aiming with the spotter plane took a lot of practice, but it's very useful for hitting ships hiding in smoke or firing over islands/obstacles. It's mostly useful against larger targets, I've found hitting a DD while aiming from above is a significant challenge since your shells are travelling at a flatter trajectory at close ranges.

As to the point the OP made, I still prefer fighters since it's rare that I actually need a spotter plane for their intended purpose.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

The conversation where I was corrected was about the Perth specifically.

When you are in smoke, you need a spotter - something that can "see" targets for you outside of the smoke. Perth's range is a punitive 12.8 km despite having the exact same guns as Belfast, so extending the range with a spotter plane is a big plus (except for the extended detection from gun bloom).

Whether or not I choose a fighter or spotter plane is very dependent on what ship we're discussing. A spottter plane on Atlanta would be ridiculous. I can't hit squat at 13.3 km with Atlanta anyway because of the extreme shell arcs and long travel time(other than slow BBs). However, I use a spotter on the Shchors all the time. Every battle.  After a LOT of practice, I can hit BBs and clumsy cruisers at ranges up to 20 km. The shell arcs are flat, travel time is short, and with IFHE the shells do damage and light fires regardless of range. Plus using the spotter to accurately shoot and burn someone "hiding" behind an island always is amusing. 

So I've now played Perth with a spotter plane and the special upgrade extending how long the spotter stays up. I wish you could bring the darned thing down when you don't need it because shooting a DD at 8 km is MORE difficult if the spotter is aloft. The cooldown takes forever - far longer than the smoke cooldown. And spotter planes get shot of of the sky by anything. Even DDs.

The jury is still out for me on spotter vs. fighter for the Perth. However, the fighter isn't a no-brainer anymore now that I know the spotter actually spots. 

Finally practice makes perfect. After 135 battles in the Shchors with a very respectable win rate, I've found that now I can reliably use the spotter planes on most ships. Even Warspite. When I first got Molotov a long time ago, I couldn't hit anything with the spotter. Now I can set BBs on fire from so far away they rarely can hit me back.  

• Cool 1

Members
241 posts
11 battles

Perth should use a spotter, to mitigate the lack of firing range. Have been quite successful in mine, and the spotter helped a lot. 

Edited by Helmut__Kohl

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles

I use the spotter on my ships because the elevated view helps see over the obstructions from islands.

With a bit of adjustment, aiming with the elevated view helps me in getting shots on angled ships or ships in a turn

• Cool 1

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
4,634 battles

I changed from spotter to fighter on my Perth.

Never looked back.

Far greater duration in the air.

Not much less actual 'spotting' ability.

Much more resilient aircraft.

And as I find Perth to be a very efficient destroyer killer, the fighter helps you find them while warning you of any attempt by heavier ships to sneak up on you.

Doubly effective with the two-aircraft level one captain skill.

Spotters give you a minimal window of opportunity for extended range. This is often pointless after the first volley or two anyway if the enemy is attempting to close the range (you're not that fast).

Then you have to wait forever for the next short duration burst.

It may work for battleships. But not for nimble, rapid reaction cruisers.

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,299 battles

I use the double fighters on the Perth as they are more durable and longer lasting. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
734 posts
3,298 battles
14 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I use the double fighters on the Perth as they are more durable and longer lasting. 

I do the same thing.

The point of the fighters for me is the ability to see outside of smoke, not to gain the extra range. They are extremely durable, and they also provide the much needed "Strike Deterrent" that CVs 5-7 love to bring. Perth AA isn't going to save you from any thing. Not even a spotter plane.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

I run fighter on my Perth and would not consider going back.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles
On 10/3/2017 at 7:14 PM, crzyhawk said:

I run fighter on my Perth and would not consider going back.

Let me be clear:  I would never even consider the Spotter Plane over the Fighter unless I had the special upgrade that increases spotter duration from 180s  to 234s.  The Fighter lasts 360s, plus it has a much faster cool down.  And it's more durable.  If you use the spotter, you MUST have the double-plane skill IMHO because the darn things get shot down so easily.

I just played another Perth battle with the spotter plane.  I really like the extended range the spotter provides.  However, the extra long cool down drives me crazy and is a deal killer for me.  You just can't rely on Random teammates to spot for you.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[-K-]
Members
615 posts
4,902 battles

Spotter plane. Its benefit of increased range is a plus and with the smoke generator module pushing out your smoke to 2 minutes its very handy.

That's in an ideal world though. Popping it in close as you are being chased down can mean the spotter goes down very quickly and its reload is too long IMHO for a 20 minute game.

Members
214 posts
12 battles

Spotters for PvP (Spotting destroyers/fleet formations behind islands at the start, spamming BBs from a safe range, shooting ships in smoke/behind islands)

Fighters for operations (spotting torpedoes and disrupting low tier carrier spam)

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,253 battles

In NA I just don't think fighters are worth it.  How often do you run into a CV?