Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bguthery

Best tier X for my playstyle

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

So I am looking at all the cruiser lines and so far I like speed, being able to support, either high RoF or powerful guns, I don't really enjoy the Russian line. Being able be where I am needed and being versatile.

I don't really like the hide in smoke gameplay of the British line either. 

 

I am really split between the U.S. or French line. I do division with Japanese Cv, and Japanese bb players. I enjoy the AA and RoF of the US lines but the speed and power of the Henri looks awesome. Being able to support my team is probably most important but being able to go 1v1 is important to. I found out I really like a hit and run style of play also, go into range and striking then back out and then returning. Or maybe hitting and dining between islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
833
[SPTR]
Members
25,771 posts
11,069 battles

I love the Henri IV, she's my fav tier X ship, I think this speedy cruiser with big guns will suit your range supporting hit and run style. /^_\\ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
6 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

I love the Henri IV, she's my fav tier X ship, I think this speedy cruiser with big guns will suit your range supporting hit and run style. /^_\\ 

Since I am always facing carriers how is the AA. My friend is a carrier only player and we play together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
833
[SPTR]
Members
25,771 posts
11,069 battles
1 minute ago, bguthery said:

Since I am always facing carriers how is the AA. My friend is a carrier only player and we play together.

Henri's AA is underwhelming if you don't partially spec the commander or the ships upgrades to the AA department. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
Just now, Rolkatsuki said:

Henri's AA is underwhelming if you don't partially spec the commander or the ships upgrades to the AA department. 

What's it's strength and how do you play it? Thanks for answering all these questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
833
[SPTR]
Members
25,771 posts
11,069 battles
25 minutes ago, bguthery said:

What's it's strength and how do you play it? Thanks for answering all these questions!

its strength is that it excels at hammering BB with HE from afar, I play it as a long range fire support ship, shooting at enemies while using my mobility to dodge returning fire for the most of the match, then in late game and get in a bit closer and hunt down DDs or hammer wounded capital ship's side's with AP, Henri's AP rounds almost hit like BB guns at 10km or less

 

also here's some of my replays in my Henri IV that has made it to youtube so you can watch me play this ship: 

 

Edited by Rolkatsuki
changed early game to late* game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

Not tier X but get the Nurnberg, if you love it like I do then get the Roon. Kitting away, engaging, disengaging and setting everything on fire from 14 or 15km away while you dodge everything they throw at you is quite fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
10 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

its strength is that it excels at hammering BB with HE from afar, I play it as a long range fire support ship, shooting at enemies while using my mobility to dodge returning fire for the most of the match, then in early game and get in a bit closer and hunt down DDs or hammer wounded capital ship's side's with AP, Henri's AP rounds almost hit like BB guns at 10km or less

 

also here's some of my replays in my Henri IV that has made it to youtube so you can watch me play this ship: 

 

What modules and captain skills do you run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Not tier X but get the Nurnberg, if you love it like I do then get the Roon. Kitting away, engaging, disengaging and setting everything on fire from 14 or 15km away while you dodge everything they throw at you is quite fun.

Thanks I'll check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[DD214]
Members
757 posts

If you feel the need for speed the Henri IV is the boat for you, imho. It's like a big Khab, and expect to see lots of Witherer awards. The Des Moines has some solid points but is not fast and can't fight as well out of cover or on the run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,064
[OPG]
Members
3,970 posts
5,667 battles
9 hours ago, bguthery said:

What's it's strength and how do you play it? Thanks for answering all these questions!

There are three things you need to know about the Henri.....
 

  1. It's the fastest cruiser in the game, doing 43 knots with speed boost.
  2. It has the most powerful HE shell of any cruiser in the game.  *Tied for damage with the Zao, but unmatched in terms of fire chance.
  3. It has arguably the most powerful AP shell of any cruiser in the game.  *2nd only in damage to the Spee, but that's a special case and not a fair comparison.

The Henri does only have 9 guns and a rather poor DPM for a tier 10 cruiser, but it makes up for it by having fantastic alpha strike.  Basically the Henri zips around the battlefield using its fantastic speed and handling to avoid incoming fire, while burning BBs and hitting broadside cruisers for massive damage with AP.  It's non stop action from start to finish, and usually ends with gaudy damage totals.

 

From what you've said about your play style preferences, I highly recommend the French cruiser line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
26 minutes ago, yashma said:

There are three things you need to know about the Henri.....
 

  1. It's the fastest cruiser in the game, doing 43 knots with speed boost.
  2. It has the most powerful HE shell of any cruiser in the game.  *Tied for damage with the Zao, but unmatched in terms of fire chance.
  3. It has arguably the most powerful AP shell of any cruiser in the game.  *2nd only in damage to the Spee, but that's a special case and not a fair comparison.

The Henri does only have 9 guns and a rather poor DPM for a tier 10 cruiser, but it makes up for it by having fantastic alpha strike.  Basically the Henri zips around the battlefield using its fantastic speed and handling to avoid incoming fire, while burning BBs and hitting broadside cruisers for massive damage with AP.  It's non stop action from start to finish, and usually ends with gaudy damage totals.

 

From what you've said about your play style preferences, I highly recommend the French cruiser line.  

Ya the only reason I am even stuck with choosing is because I heard the DM is amazing if your in a division with a carrier (like i am).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,064
[OPG]
Members
3,970 posts
5,667 battles
4 hours ago, bguthery said:

Ya the only reason I am even stuck with choosing is because I heard the DM is amazing if your in a division with a carrier (like i am).

That is true.  The Des Moines has arguably the best AAA of any ship in the game, with only the Minotaur rivaling it.  That being said, the Henri's AAA is certainly not bad, albeit it's mostly just useful for self defense.  

It's really up to you.  You said you like hit and run tactics, which the French are unquestionably the best at, but the USN cruisers are probably unrivaled for utility.  I do recommend eventually going down both lines as they are a lot of fun, so it's just a matter of picking which one to do first.

If I can raise one more point, how much do you care about the journey versus just the end goal?  If forced to chose, I would narrowly recommend the Des Moines first because it offers unrivaled utility and allows you to have the most impact on the front lines.  But if you care about the journey, I feel the French cruiser line as a whole is better.  Many people struggle with USN cruisers Tiers 7-9, but that is where the French are at their best.  The Algerie is good, while the Martel and Saint Louis are absolutely amazing, the Henri is also a blast to play.   Most importantly there is the Tier 8 situation.  Tier 8 ships are shafted by the MM and spend a lot of time fighting tier 10s, which really hurts the New Orleans, but the Martel excels in Tier 10 battles.  

So TLDR:

If you care most just about getting a Tier 10, I recommend the Des Moines.  If you want to enjoy the grind as a whole, I recommend the French.

*That being said, the USN cruiser line is still a lot of fun, and the Henri is one of my favorite ships in the game.  What ever you choose, you can't go wrong.  

Edited by yashma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×