You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Graf Zeppelin with Deep Water Torpedos

37 comments in this topic

Members
643 posts
3,930 battles

Due to all the revisions that this ship has went through since she was first revealed, I can honestly believe that WarGimmick just doesn't know what to do with her to maximize appeal.

[BSC]
Beta Testers
54 posts

Has anyone noticed that their auto drop is way off on some BBs?  I've seen it against brit bbs mostly, like they have the wrong speed.  I've seen multiple groups drop way early and the torps just go harmlessly in front.  The targetted bb wasn't evading or changing speed significantly either

Alpha Tester
657 posts
1,550 battles

Well, that was fun.  I was in a German BB and saw a GZ on the opposite team.  Guess who their TBs made a beeline for when the match started...

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,304 posts
8,203 battles

On 07/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, HobGoblin0 said:

Has anyone noticed that their auto drop is way off on some BBs?  I've seen it against brit bbs mostly, like they have the wrong speed.  I've seen multiple groups drop way early and the torps just go harmlessly in front.  The targetted bb wasn't evading or changing speed significantly either

Yes, the auto drop functions on an odd way, with a generous overshoot of any bb that isn't at full speed.

5 hours ago, gbgentry said:

Well, that was fun.  I was in a German BB and saw a GZ on the opposite team.  Guess who their TBs made a beeline for when the match started...

The Graf Zeppelin versions, whether with AP or DWT, have always been optimal for sinking Grosser Kurfurst in one strike wave!

Alpha Tester
657 posts
1,550 battles
4 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Yes, the auto drop functions on an odd way, with a generous overshoot of any bb that isn't at full speed.

The Graf Zeppelin versions, whether with AP or DWT, have always been optimal for sinking Grosser Kurfurst in one strike wave!

I survived!  Barely...

[BEAR]
Members
88 posts
3,110 battles
On 10/7/2017 at 0:04 PM, BrentD15 said:

Due to all the revisions that this ship has went through since she was first revealed, I can honestly believe that WarGimmick just doesn't know what to do with her to maximize appeal.

It's like they don't know TB > DB because of the reduced RNG (floods are still RNG).

If it's some kind of Super Kaga though... I think the population will take a hit and that's a very short term profit for WG.

• Cool 1

[TORP]
Members
246 posts
22,172 battles

I was pretty abysmal with the GZ stock, GZ Test 1 DBs GZ Test 2 and actually performed OK for me with the GZ Test 1 Torps.   I lack the skill to manually drop successfully with any of the DBs and Torp Planes.  Some what blame this on the War Gaming Decision to not allow manual drops on tier IV and V where one could actually develop the necessary skills without costing a team of players more likely to get pissed off at the VI, VII VIII level.

The fighters are still abysmal on any of the GZs which is unfortunate as the ME109 was a very good fighter and could hold its own against early WWII planes even the early Mark Spitfires  The tier drop gimmick to bring Dog Fighting Expert into play did not really help my fighters survive.  The fighters still need to be faster and stronger without resulting to a tier drop to artificially use the Dog fighting Expert either that or make this ship tier VII and strictly MM with only tier VII CVs if you want to argue the VIII fighters on Allied CVs are technologically better

I found the torpedo bombers actually could hit the targets reasonably well using Auto Drop with 1 - 3 hits which is about what the auto drop results are with tier IV and V CVs for me

[BSC]
Beta Testers
54 posts
On 10/8/2017 at 11:05 PM, gbgentry said:

That's because every cruiser and every other BB wrecks the GZ's planes.  Most matches are against 9-10's, a Mo/Iowa/Montana will clear all 3 squads of TBs before any of them release.  It wasn't anything personal, it's just the only option they have for damage output.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,062 posts
8,356 battles

I look up the ship stats before battle starts, If I see an iowa or montana not AA spec, I'll hit them first. They have worst TDS, increasing my total torp damage.

[PAT]
Members
1,641 posts
3,448 battles

In my experience in a shoukaku,. Fighting this version of the GZ almost guarantees a win, since they can't hurt DDs and generally lose the plane v plane battle which let's me hit whatever I want.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,062 posts
8,356 battles
1 hour ago, megadeux said:

In my experience in a shoukaku,. Fighting this version of the GZ almost guarantees a win, since they can't hurt DDs and generally lose the plane v plane battle which let's me hit whatever I want.

That's why GZ should never attempt to muscle control away from a CV with better fighters. It needs something to assist its fighters to win that fight.

I agree with your statement about the torps, can't reset caps with them like you could with the AP bombs.

[-AOA-]
Beta Testers
734 posts
6,586 battles

If they are going to Deepwater torpedo's for now on  they have to be like the Pan-Asia torpedo. Especially on CV's.