You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
atPrick__

Giving Proper Battleships and their players credit

27 comments in this topic

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

If you see a Battleship player take damage, in the correct way, give him credit.

Especially when they do it over damage seeking.

Post screens here.

Post thanks, let them know in chat.

Tell them what they do is great for the game.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
6 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

If you see a Battleship player take damage, in the correct way, give him credit.

Post screens here.

I wouldn't give that player credit.  That player sounds like a moron to me.

The job of a BB is to produce damage and get kills, and use his armor to best allow him to continue producing damage and getting kills as long as possible.  This concept of the ship whose job is to take damage and nothing more is utter nonsense.  Pure bovine fecal matter.

• Cool 4

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I wouldn't give that player credit.  That player sounds like a moron to me.

The job of a BB is to produce damage and get kills, and use his armor to best allow him to continue producing damage and getting kills as long as possible.  This concept of the ship whose job is to take damage and nothing more is utter nonsense.  Pure bovine fecal matter.

Real battleships fight in secondary range. Like men.

If you have fun being useless 20km from everything, afraid to take damage, then you be you. I'll be over here doing my job.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

Real battleships fight in secondary range. Like men.

If you have fun being useless 20km from everything, afraid to take damage, then you be you. I'll be over here doing my job.

Try rereading what I wrote.  I never once said a bloody thing about what range they should fight at.  The fact of the matter, IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY READ WHAT I WROTE, is that you can do EXACTLY what I suggest at any range!  Short, medium, or long.  And "your job" is NEVER to take damage.  Never.  Only morons do that.  Smart players are the ones who are maximizing damage and kills while USING their armor to survive.  A brawling BB that's still working and angling his armor to the best of his ability while doing as much damage as possible, is doing EXACTLY what I point out, while the moron playing like the OP suggests is nothing but a damage sponge with propellers who will die quickly and contribute exactly nothing to his team.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Try rereading what I wrote.  I never once said a bloody thing about what range they should fight at.  The fact of the matter, IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY READ WHAT I WROTE, is that you can do EXACTLY what I suggest at any range!  Short, medium, or long.  And "your job" is NEVER to take damage.  Never.  Only morons do that.  Smart players are the ones who are maximizing damage and kills while USING their armor to survive.  A brawling BB that's still working and angling his armor to the best of his ability while doing as much damage as possible, is doing EXACTLY what I point out, while the moron playing like the OP suggests is nothing but a damage sponge with propellers who will die quickly and contribute exactly nothing to his team.

If you truly believe that your job in a battleship is to never take damage, than "20km from everything, afraid to scratch your paint" is a perfectly reasonable conclusion about your playstyle.

You be you.

I'll be brawling Kurfursts who think they're immune to citadels. And showing them they aren't.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
12 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

If you truly believe that your job in a battleship is to never take damage, than "20km from everything, afraid to scratch your paint" is a perfectly reasonable conclusion about your playstyle.

You be you.

I'll be brawling Kurfursts who think they're immune to citadels. And showing them they aren't.

And again, you wrongly parse what I wrong.  I didn't write that the job is to "never take damage".  I wrote that the job is never "to take damage".  Maybe you're too dense to understand the subtle difference.  I don't expect to "never take damage", though it would be nice if my armor and my skill at angling it was so good that it bounced everything.  No.  The latter means that never is my job to "take damage" for the sake of taking damage.  The job is maximizing the amount of damage and kills my BB can do by using my armor to  SURVIVE as long as possible, because you never maximize damage by dying quickly.  You maximize damage by staying alive as long as possible, whether it's while brawling or sniping.  Yes, you might stay alive longer sniping at max range, but you'll also probably do less damage because max range isn't a productive range.  It's best to fight at whatever range works best for your individual battleship and according to whatever the current situation happens to be.  And if you happen to be in a German brawling BB, you can still act according to what I've said.  Fighting at short brawling ranges does NOT mean that you stop trying to minimize the damage you take at those ranges.  You don't just sit there and say "shoot me".  No.  You angle your armor.  You try your best to dodge torpedoes.  You do your best to shoot down enemy planes.  You do your best to minimize damage taken and to stay alive and shooting as long as possible.

If people followed your job description of a BB, they could do it to the letter without every firing a damned shot.  But battleships DO NOT exist to eat damage and nothing else.  They exist to maximize the damage they deal and the ships they sink, and using their armor to keep shooting, dealing damage, and sinking ships as long as possible!!!

Members
1,936 posts
41 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

Post screens here.

Should you give someone credit for breathing? 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

And again, you wrongly parse what I wrong.  I didn't write that the job is to "never take damage". 

...Really?

24 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sounds like I'm reading exactly what you're posting and you're scrambling to change the meaning to avoid embarrassment.

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,044 posts
8,061 battles
1 minute ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Should you give someone credit for breathing? 

No, unless of course they were dead, and are now not dead, on the other hand, you might have to slap them if they're breathing hard enough to keep you awake at night. lol

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

...Really?

Sounds like I'm reading exactly what you're posting and you're scrambling to change the meaning to avoid embarrassment.

You're just not able to parse simple language.  You must have the English language skills of a 3rd grader.  Is "See Spot run?" too challenging for you?

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

You're just not able to parse simple language.  You must have the English language skills of a 3rd grader.  Is "See Spot run?" too challenging for you?

You can't defend against my statement so you resort to personal attacks.

That means I've already won.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
51 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

Post screens here.

Sounds about right. 

Also interesting new name.

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

You can't defend against my statement so you resort to personal attacks.

That means I've already won.

Sorry, but I don't play by those foolish rules.  You were unable to parse two subtly difference sentences.  There was no need go beyond that failure on your part.  I'll attack you when and where I see fit, which sadly is rather often given your innumerable failures and errors.

Now, go away until you've taken a remedial English class and learn the parse sentences and their meanings better.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sorry, but I don't play by those foolish rules.  You were unable to parse two subtly difference sentences.  There was no need go beyond that failure on your part.  I'll attack you when and where I see fit, which sadly is rather often given your innumerable failures and errors.

Now, go away until you've taken a remedial English class and learn the parse sentences and their meanings better.

Try again after you've attended a 5th grade debate club and know how to construct a basic argument that doesn't hinge on insulting your opponent.

[PSP]
Members
6,307 posts
8,930 battles
4 minutes ago, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

I support this, battleship players can help a team just by being "effective" meat shields.

Correct. I first got 5-stars in the "Raptor Rescue" campaign by placing my Arizona between the Ranger CV and the attacking ships so that I soaked up all the torpedoes fired at it.

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles
5 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Try again after you've attended a 5th grade debate club and know how to construct a basic argument that doesn't hinge on insulting your opponent.

I don't give a rat's behind about silly debate club rules.  

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
7 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

The hypocrisy in this sentence is overflowing with creamy goodness...

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna
  • Cool 1

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Correct. I first got 5-stars in the "Raptor Rescue" campaign by placing my Arizona between the Ranger CV and the attacking ships so that I soaked up all the torpedoes fired at it.

Nothing says team player then taking hits for the team. I like helping out carriers the most because like us battleships they get ridiculed non-stop for not being perfect and they never get enough credit for what they do.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
41 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

...Really?

While you may be technically correct  (that is what he typed), that is not what he meant. Crucis knows what he's doing, and he's hardly a 'camp and sniper type. What he is saying (my words here) is that there is a common misconception that BBs exist to take hits so the DD and CA/CL jockeys can farm damage. As the OP indicated. That is wrong-BBs are not supposed to just soak up damage. 

As he says, a well played BB is one that maximizes damage and kills while mitigating damage received as long as possible.  Theoretically (in a PUG match) the longer the BB lasts and continually pumps out damage, the better the team will fare. If the BB driver just yolos or takes a trip back to port early.. he hasn't done much for the team.

[CUTE]
Members
168 posts
12,666 battles

More so a battleships role is to deal out damage/destroy ships while minimizing the return damage by means of armor angling, kiting, or island cover.

[CUTE]
Members
168 posts
12,666 battles
1 minute ago, BBsquid said:

While you may be technically correct  (that is what he typed), that is not what he meant. Crucis knows what he's doing, and he's hardly a 'camp and sniper type. What he is saying (my words here) is that there is a common misconception that BBs exist to take hits so the DD and CA/CL jockeys can farm damage. As the OP indicated. That is wrong-BBs are not supposed to just soak up damage. 

As he says, a well played BB is one that maximizes damage and kills while mitigating damage received as long as possible.  Theoretically (in a PUG match) the longer the BB lasts and continually pumps out damage, the better the team will fare. If the BB driver just yolos or takes a trip back to port early.. he hasn't done much for the team.

Bah you beat me by seconds

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

Is it long standing rivalries that cause such little things to blow up into ugly brawls?

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,201 posts
4,254 battles
1 hour ago, atPrick__ said:

Post screens here.

Define "in the correct way".