Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
zfissette

fix strafing out of a dogfight

29 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
1,547 battles

remove the ability to exit a dogfight by strafing. strafe is by far the worst game mechanic ive ever seen in 30 years of gaming but the ability to strafe out of a dogfight makes me physically ill. your planes are literally fighting for their lives, no they can not line up and use some magic turbo that makes them zoom out of the fight.

• Cool 4

Members
3 posts
1,547 battles

both nations use the same mechanic, get your fighters into trouble? just hit the exit button and they are safely whisked away.

Members
3 posts
1,547 battles

its just so immersion breaking, the idea that half a dozen planes line up wingtip to wingtip and fly in a straight line holding their triggers and every plane above or below them is magically destroyed makes me literally sick to my stomach. its the worst mechanic ive ever seen.

• Cool 1

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,868 battles

So @zfissette what would you replace it with? Or would you just rather have every fighter engagement be a fight to the death? Sure the "Strafe" mechanic to leave a dogfight isn't the best solution but it works rather nicely IMO, it gives carriers the option to leave an engagement they don't want to be fighting in for the cost of a fighter **except Saipan**. While I'd like a bit more of a duck and run rather than a line abreast firing line I'll say keep it for now and hopefully the carrier rework gets it changed. Not that we know what's going to happen with the carrier rework cause WG hasn't told us anything about it, assuming that WG is still planning on reworking carriers that is.

• Cool 2

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles

Keep strafe, make it usable against ships (single target).  Fighters were dangerous to light ships like CLs and DDs as .50cal and 20mm fire did them serious damage.  Strafing a BB could also kill and injure AA crews, helping the incoming bombers by reducing defense.  This improves the game in several aspect.

It removes the ridiculous current mechanic which I agree is very unrealistic and simply not fun, especially when someone can strafe away and your fighters don't even pursue and are stuck.

It gives Air Superiority loadouts at least some more relevance toward being able to do damage, help team and gain XP

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,584 battles
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, Morpheous said:

Take CVs out of the game, problem solved.

Actually, it creates more problems. Refunds for multiple premiums (including non-cv ones), what to do with cruisers (particularly USN CAs.), having to revamp the USN battleships to be competitive vs a current niche role they fill, and speaking of BB ships... having to buff destroyers and reducing the detection range of torpedoes to further curb the BB overpopulation currently seen in game. (WG has stated and confirmed this is problem.)

If the cure causes more problems then the disease, it isn't really a cure is it?

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
grammar
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,059 posts
9,376 battles
23 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Actually, it creates more problems. Refunds for multiple premiums (including non-cv ones), what to do with cruisers (particularly USN CAs.), having to revamp the USN battleships to be competitive vs a current niche role they fill, and speaking of BB ships... having to buff destroyers and reducing the detection range of torpedoes to further curb the BB overpopulation currently seen in game. (WG has stated and confirmed this is problem.)

If the cure causes more problems then the disease, it isn't really a cure is it?

So if CVs were never in the game we would have these problems?  I think not... CVs have caused most of these problems either directly or indirectly.  BBs are the king and should be, but a good CA player or DD player can make a BB player miserable, IF they have support of their BBs.  CAs and DDs die when they are not supported.  But I should probably get off the soapbox, as the basic META for this game was screwed up from day one.  BBs that tank shots on the Bow??? how WG EVER came to that conclusion...that stagnated the game right there.  So in all reality, the game should be redone from the ground up....

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,584 battles
1 hour ago, Morpheous said:

So if CVs were never in the game we would have these problems?  I think not... CVs have caused most of these problems either directly or indirectly.  BBs are the king and should be, but a good CA player or DD player can make a BB player miserable, IF they have support of their BBs.  CAs and DDs die when they are not supported.  But I should probably get off the soapbox, as the basic META for this game was screwed up from day one.  BBs that tank shots on the Bow??? how WG EVER came to that conclusion...that stagnated the game right there.  So in all reality, the game should be redone from the ground up....

CVs hasn't caused the game to be unplayable, they need work, like they have been for quite a while. Can't hop in the time machine and change now.

Likewise, a good bb captain can make a good ca or dd captain useless, and with there more bbs in que then the other two... odds of getting those captains are rare, thankfully.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
grammar

[BSC]
Beta Testers
46 posts
6,587 battles

Yeah strafing was a ridiculous concept to begin with.  It was buggy before, it's untenable now.  I engaged an enemy squad of fighters with my fighters to clear the way for my torpedo bombers.  That's called "strategy".  He disengaged my fighters, strafed across my torpedo bombers as they were lining up their approach, and then turned around and strafed my fighters.  He lost 2/4 planes, I lost about 12. wth?  Don't tell thats how the mechanic works, tell me how that could ever possibly happen in reality.  Knowing mechanics>strategy and planning=bad game play.

Terrible mechanic.

• Cool 1

1,542 posts
26 battles

Hey guys, thanks for all of your insight on this complaint. We have seen a lot of ideas on improving and removing the mechanic and are always investigating new ways to make the game great. Thank you all for your feedback and for sharing your experiences with us

[RAWDY]
Beta Testers
138 posts
6,711 battles
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Grathew said:

So @zfissette what would you replace it with? Or would you just rather have every fighter engagement be a fight to the death? Sure the "Strafe" mechanic to leave a dogfight isn't the best solution but it works rather nicely IMO, it gives carriers the option to leave an engagement they don't want to be fighting in for the cost of a fighter **except Saipan**. While I'd like a bit more of a duck and run rather than a line abreast firing line I'll say keep it for now and hopefully the carrier rework gets it changed. Not that we know what's going to happen with the carrier rework cause WG hasn't told us anything about it, assuming that WG is still planning on reworking carriers that is.

Actually, they wouldn't need a stupid mechanic like this if they had followed already established carrier gameplay of, oh you know EVERY OTHER WARSHIP GAME EVER MADE! The Tackling mechanic is completely ridiculous.

Edited by Sullen_Maximus

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,139 posts
14,547 battles
On 10/4/2017 at 8:12 PM, Cpt_Cupcake said:

CVs hasn't caused the game to be unplayable, they need work, like they have been for quite a while. Can't hop in the time machine and change now.

Likewise, a good bb captain can make a good ca or dd captain useless, and with there more bbs in que then the other two... odds of getting those captains are rare, thankfully.

A BB randomly deletes a Cruiser despite range and angling.

"Get gud, scrub."

A BB gets a series of pens on a DD with AP.

"Back to port, b*tch."

A CV deletes a BB

"This is unfair, and not competitive."

• Cool 9

[IBAD]
Members
76 posts
5,034 battles
On 03/10/2017 at 6:17 AM, Morpheous said:

Take CVs out of the game, problem solved.

WG took CV out of the clan battle, so it is.......

[IBAD]
Members
76 posts
5,034 battles

We cannot take away "Strafe" mechanic because it discourage CV players to protect their fleet. In WoWS air to air combat without "Strafe" mechanic took way too long to finish and it is predictable that all such attack would become a simple left click and people may simply ignore it.

On 07/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, HobGoblin0 said:

Yeah strafing was a ridiculous concept to begin with.  It was buggy before, it's untenable now.  I engaged an enemy squad of fighters with my fighters to clear the way for my torpedo bombers.  That's called "strategy".  He disengaged my fighters, strafed across my torpedo bombers as they were lining up their approach, and then turned around and strafed my fighters.  He lost 2/4 planes, I lost about 12. wth?  Don't tell thats how the mechanic works, tell me how that could ever possibly happen in reality.  Knowing mechanics>strategy and planning=bad game play.

Terrible mechanic.

On 03/10/2017 at 4:54 AM, zfissette said:

remove the ability to exit a dogfight by strafing. strafe is by far the worst game mechanic ive ever seen in 30 years of gaming but the ability to strafe out of a dogfight makes me physically ill. your planes are literally fighting for their lives, no they can not line up and use some magic turbo that makes them zoom out of the fight.

On 03/10/2017 at 4:58 AM, zfissette said:

both nations use the same mechanic, get your fighters into trouble? just hit the exit button and they are safely whisked away.

On 03/10/2017 at 5:10 AM, zfissette said:

its just so immersion breaking, the idea that half a dozen planes line up wingtip to wingtip and fly in a straight line holding their triggers and every plane above or below them is magically destroyed makes me literally sick to my stomach. its the worst mechanic ive ever seen.

Also, these issue share one thing in common that is the simply player did not expect the enemy to use such a "Strafe"  strategy, I cannot agree that is a issue on the "Strafe" mechanic because these comment only shows the player cannot predict what could be happen next and simply did not prepare for it, nothing do to the mechanism itself. Just like some BB player cannot blame the DD's torpedo is OP because they cannot make a guess and prepare for possible torpedo attack. It is more related to skill, again not the game. 

However there is something that can be improve which is fighter should be able to disengage any time they want, because it is unrealistic and encouraged passive gameplay as most of the CV loadout being use is not AS CV, once they encountered one AS CV, they will tend to hide their aircraft or wait for a chance to stall the enemy But not to strike first by using the "Strafe" strategy.

IMO, to solve this particular air to air combat issues, the best way is to force players to go through a set of tutorial to learn how to maximize their advantage. It is because CV is similiar to DD, these are the type of ship that can be really really OP or really really sucks depends on the skill of the player as there are many ways to work with. Also, instead of asking CV not to do air to air combat, we should find a way to ask them to shoot more birds as CV is the only class of ships that is efficient at it

(Disclaimer: I played over 3k game with about 50% BB, 30% CA and 20% DD, https://na.warships.today/player/1001788012/k55e5bd1 the total numbers of air kill with CV is 2100)

Edited by k55e5bd1
to add a disclaimer

[IBAD]
Members
76 posts
5,034 battles

On 18/10/2017 at 1:10 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A BB randomly deletes a Cruiser despite range and angling.

"Get gud, scrub."

A BB gets a series of pens on a DD with AP.

"Back to port, b*tch."

A CV deletes a BB

A CV shoot down all the birds from another CV

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
1,845 battles
On 10/2/2017 at 3:55 PM, pyantoryng said:

That's US turbochargers for ya............

That isn't what superchargers or turbochargers in piston airplanes do.

Also, the Japanese planes had superchargers as well.

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,584 battles
10 hours ago, k55e5bd1 said:

A CV shoot down all the birds from another CV

Then deplaned CV played poorly or didn't adjust his playstyle once he realized he was facing a superior player. Seems to me skill should trump lack thereof.

[IBAD]
Members
76 posts
5,034 battles
15 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Then deplaned CV played poorly or didn't adjust his playstyle once he realized he was facing a superior player. Seems to me skill should trump lack thereof.

lol This comment reminds me that the old day about how BB players complain about the torpedo mechanism, where they found using WASD to dodge torpedo is a hack, but I wouldn't expect such ideas would have pop out here  when a CV vs CV battle goes kinda fair in general, where 2 CV serve similiar advantage from the similiar mechanism. "Strafe" mechanic is something that can be perform in all CV. If both CV can do the same thing, and one of them fail to use the same advantage, why would that be the fault of the game but not the player.

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,584 battles
2 hours ago, k55e5bd1 said:

lol This comment reminds me that the old day about how BB players complain about the torpedo mechanism, where they found using WASD to dodge torpedo is a hack, but I wouldn't expect such ideas would have pop out here  when a CV vs CV battle goes kinda fair in general, where 2 CV serve similiar advantage from the similiar mechanism. "Strafe" mechanic is something that can be perform in all CV. If both CV can do the same thing, and one of them fail to use the same advantage, why would that be the fault of the game but not the player.

Can rephrase your statement, currently I'm not able to understand what your saying...

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,364 battles
On 10/2/2017 at 1:54 PM, zfissette said:

I see your point with strafing out of a dogfight but saying that strafing, or "Deflection Shooting" as the US Navy called it, is the only way to actually bring some planning and skill to the table instead of just playing rigged cee lo against enemy planes and watching them.  Low tier CVs are so horrendous because there is nothing to the air to air combat except Bogue clicks enemy -> enemy is Japanese, planes die  -> enemy isn't a dedicated Bogue player with captain skills -> player trying to play the game correctly's planes die.  I don't want more Rock, Scissors, Grass in this game any more than it already has.  

at most I would remove it for fighters alone, since it's logical that bombers would drop their loads to gain speed and return home.

I disagree with what you are saying completely.

Members
328 posts
10,305 battles
On 10/21/2017 at 0:14 AM, Helstrem said:

That isn't what superchargers or turbochargers in piston airplanes do.

Also, the Japanese planes had superchargers as well.

Lets call them Mediocrechargers =)

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles
On 11/3/2017 at 9:43 PM, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I see your point with strafing out of a dogfight but saying that strafing, or "Deflection Shooting" as the US Navy called it, is the only way to actually bring some planning and skill to the table instead of just playing rigged cee lo against enemy planes and watching them.  Low tier CVs are so horrendous because there is nothing to the air to air combat except Bogue clicks enemy -> enemy is Japanese, planes die  -> enemy isn't a dedicated Bogue player with captain skills -> player trying to play the game correctly's planes die.  I don't want more Rock, Scissors, Grass in this game any more than it already has.  

at most I would remove it for fighters alone, since it's logical that bombers would drop their loads to gain speed and return home.

I disagree with what you are saying completely.

Except strafing isn't' skill.  Its a one button win solution that completely destroys any semblance of balance.  It also adds one more thing onto the plate of CV captains who already have a ton of things to manage.  

And the Bogue only got away with that previously if the IJN captain let him.  I know,  I leveled my Zuiho in that time.  It wasn't that hard to play around AS Bogues.  Sure it was annoying,  but he traded his ability to affect the sea battle in for the ability to stop ME from wrecking the sea.  Now its either he rolls over your planes and does what he used to do anyway on a fast forward timeline OR even worse,  the guy who is better at wrecking the sea gets to own the air as well.

Well I mean,  not T5 now but you know what I mean.  Also,  guessing from your phrasing that your an IJN captain who wants to be able to do EVERYTHING and the super-cheap strafe let you get away with it,  eh?

Sign in to follow this