Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
delp5117

Can you collect oil without being in a Clan?

17 comments in this topic

[OPEC]
Members
944 posts
5,108 battles

I did not see this answered in a topic so far, so my question is as stated above - do we collect oil from missions if we are not currently enrolled in a clan (for use at a later date)?  Scanned my inventory, but didn't seem to be able to find it there...

Thanks in advance!

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 minute ago, delp5117 said:

I did not see this answered in a topic so far, so my question is as stated above - do we collect oil from missions if we are not currently enrolled in a clan (for use at a later date)?  Scanned my inventory, but didn't seem to be able to find it there...

Thanks in advance!

No. Oil you gain is lost.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 minute ago, delp5117 said:

That stinks.  How are supposed to build up value as a free agent?

You can't. I believe that when you leave a clan you take oil you gained with you but the clan keeps it too but I do not think it gets added to the new clan only counts to contribution? I'm not sure. The rules are confusing but they were in the patch notes and there were tons of threads from clans lamenting the lost oil.

I personally think the clans are stupid so I created one for like minded people because of the permaflags associated with being in one.

[OPEC]
Members
944 posts
5,108 battles

Played an alternative to WoT called Armored Warfare for quite a while in which every player had their own base that could be built up to earn bonuses.  Didn't have to be in a clan (which there were none at launch, anyway) to get the benefits of accumulating resources - any player that played on a regular basis could reap some extra rewards...

Edited by delp5117

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles
1 minute ago, CarefreeTongue said:

You know there's an entire portal article dedicated to oil right?

And you took as much time as they did just to try and shame them ? well played........ not......

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Edit: did not remember the article.

[OPEC]
Members
944 posts
5,108 battles
3 minutes ago, CarefreeTongue said:

You know there's an entire portal article dedicated to oil right?

Thanks - I do now!  As much as I try to keep up, I have two kids, a business to run, and coach soccer 10+ hours per week.  Getting older can be challenging...

• Cool 1

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,901 battles
12 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Played an alternative to WoT called Armored Warfare for quite a while in which every player had their own base that could be built up to earn bonuses.  Didn't have to be in a clan (which there were none at launch, anyway) to get the benefits of accumulating resources - any player that played on a regular basis could reap some extra rewards...

They killed that, right after I maxed every building. They cashed you out for the value, then replaced them with reward crates and boosts.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
720 posts
11,923 battles
23 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Thanks in advance!

Great question. From what I can gather, it seems as though there is currently no in-game accounting for personal oil collection unless one is in a clan. Though I believe WG does say that they are tracking it and that players might be able to use it for things in the future.

Personally, all of this being a test of sorts, I see clans as only what they are currently. And to me, all they are currently is a means to pool oil to save in-game currency on new ships and servicing costs per game, as well as a small increase in XP per game. If the promise of actual clan matches does arrive, maybe I will see things differently. But as currently articulated, clan battles seem something of a train wreck, with one ship type excluded and another severely limited, in my opinion, meaning we will see very little diversity in ship set-up (everyone will set up to defend against DDs/torps rather than anyone spec'ing for CVs/planes), making my outlook for the actual battles somewhat grim. And if there is an actual in-game accounting for non-clan-affiliated player accounts that provides some new benefit, I will evaluate that with an open mind.

We will all just have to wait and see.

Respects,

Am

[OPEC]
Members
944 posts
5,108 battles
34 minutes ago, Amracil said:

Great question. From what I can gather, it seems as though there is currently no in-game accounting for personal oil collection unless one is in a clan. Though I believe WG does say that they are tracking it and that players might be able to use it for things in the future...

Yep - we'll have to see how things turn out.  I enjoyed Strongholds for a while in WoT, and I could see this going that direction with the base benefits but less overall time investment vs. full blown clan wars.  It would be nice if they add the ability to enter the battles at tier VI, VIII, and X, too at some point.

I'm glad they are adding this stuff, as well as the new ship lines to the game. I just think it's a bit goofy to earn oil and not be able to at least stockpile for future clan use at a minimum (when you decide to join) - or possibly be able to convert oil into other materials like modules, flags, etc, if you are not in a clan.

[LHG]
Members
1,650 posts
4,917 battles
3 hours ago, Amracil said:

Great question. From what I can gather, it seems as though there is currently no in-game accounting for personal oil collection unless one is in a clan. Though I believe WG does say that they are tracking it and that players might be able to use it for things in the future.

I don't think you are interpreting this quite correctly. Players within a clan have a personal wallet that counts how much oil that player within the clan has earned and that eventually the oil in your personal will be able to be used in some unspecified manner.

If you are not in a clan you earn no oil of any kind.  Oil is a clan only resource. 

Of course if you really want to keep all that oil you might be earning, you could always create a clan of your own and become it's sole member.  Since you'd be a member of a clan at that point, you'd be accumulating oil, fairly slowly, but you'd still be accumulating it.  However even this isn't going to be able to increase your worth as a "free agent" because if you leave your clan to join another, all the oil attributed to you in your former clan activities disappears and you start over from zero. 

Hope that's helpful. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
720 posts
11,923 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I don't think you are interpreting this quite correctly. Players withing a clan have a personal wallet that counts how much oil that player within the clan has earned and that eventually the oil in your personal will be able to be used in some unspecified manner.

Just re-read that page. I think you are right. Thanks for pointing that out, brother. 

Respects,

Am

[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
434 posts

Clan oil you gain stays with the clan if you leave. Each clan oil you gain also puts oil in your personal stock, which stays with you. This stock might be useful later on as a currency. Might...

[LHG]
Members
1,650 posts
4,917 battles
3 minutes ago, Eichbomb said:

Clan oil you gain stays with the clan if you leave. Each clan oil you gain also puts oil in your personal stock, which stays with you. This stock might be useful later on as a currency. Might...

I believe the oil in your personal wallet earned while a member of one clan disappears when you leave that clan.  

Sign in to follow this