Avrova1904

Need tips for British Battleship line

14 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

I just started the British Battleship line with Bellerophon. I'm a Battleship player and I already completed japanese, american and german battleship lines. I need some tips to get as fast as possible to Tier X.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
13 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I just started the British Battleship line with Bellerophon. I'm a Battleship player and I already completed japanese, american and german battleship lines. I need some tips to get as fast as possible to Tier X.

Um should have played the British BB missions you'd be at T4 or 5 already. In terms of Bellerophon, use HP and once you've lit a ship on fire twice switch to AP and when your target changes rinse and repeat. You have a 32% chance of causing a fire with Bellerophon HP which while not as monstrous as the T4 and T5 is still a considerable advantage over your peers. Also you've got the best range and speed combo at the tier, use this to your advantage and try to do what I'm describing near the edge of your range and try to stay out of their range as long as possible.

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

I did well in the British line until Queen Eliza[edited]. Her guns couldn't hit the Broadside of a Barn if she was parked inside of it. The HE shells are good on all of the others except Queen Eliza[edited] so far too. I am not saying she isn't a good ship. She just hasn't been good to me.

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles

Be honest, the RN BB line is the incarnation of the playstyle "roll your face across the keyboard and get a Kraken"

Just use your concealment and take good aim, those are the only two aspects of British BBs that may be a little challenging. Since you finished the USN bb line you shouldn't be alien to these concepts.

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles

I'm at tier 7 with British BBs and I love them. I started at Orion so I can't make any suggestions to the tier 3.

Orion - Angle, angle angle (like a German BB), stay mid range and  stick with mainly HE. British BBs are mid range ships for best results. Try not venture alone. I only use AP at close range with BBs, CAs if I can't avoid keeping my distance. This thing will set everything ablaze.
Iron Duke - Play it same as Orion.
Queen Elizabeth - This is where I was thrown off. You can't play the same as Orion and Iron Duke. I tried and failed. Play her like you would a Bayern but at mid range and almost always AP unless the distance is too great to pen. The fire chance is not high with this ship nor is the HE damage however, as soon as I switched to AP she became beastly, a keeper.

King George V - Back to HE. This is like a Iron Duke on steroids. Like most British BBs she has great concealment and health pool. KG5 (along with the other RN BBs) should fall back after absorbing damage before HP gets too low, stop firing an allow her concealment to give you time to recharge and get back in the battle. Just repeat this and you can survive tier 9 battles. Again, play her in the company of other ships and try not too get too close to the enemy.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,472 posts
8,148 battles

As I understand it (haven't got to the T7 switch yet) - UK BB 6 and below are basically like any other BB save IJN, big, heavy, not super fast, hit's hard and takes a beating. At 7 and above, over-gunned Scharnhorsts or Graf Spee's. They may be able to bully or play more as a BB as top tier, anything else they are basically oversized heavy hitting cruisers.

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I did well in the British line until Queen Elizabitch. Her guns couldn't hit the Broadside of a Barn if she was parked inside of it. The HE shells are good on all of the others except Queen Elizabitch so far too. I am not saying she isn't a good ship. She just hasn't been good to me.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Queen Elizabeth's guns are laser-accurate, sometimes they even feel more accurate than Warspite's even though according to stats Warspite's should be a little better. 

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles
On 02/10/2017 at 7:45 PM, Middcore said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Queen Elizabeth's guns are laser-accurate, sometimes they even feel more accurate than Warspite's even though according to stats Warspite's should be a little better. 

That's what I have been reading but they just don't hit for me, and if they do, they do nothing. The RNG hates me when I play Eliza[edited].

Members
303 posts
4,537 battles

What am I doing wrong with the RN battleships?

I got the Iron Duke and Orion blueprints (missed out on Bellerophon!), and gave them each 3-point captains grown from Caledon with Priority Target and Expert Marksman.  I had no BB experience before getting these, so I make no claim to be any good.  Each has just gotten up to 6-point captains within the last battle or two (I took Superintendent on ID and Basics of Survivability on Orion).

After 27 games in Iron Duke I have averaged only 30.3k damage.  After 25 games in Orion I have averaged 45.3k damage.  What gives?  Same player, same skill captains, how can my Orion do 50% more average damage?

By the way, I have only 36% win rate in Orion despite dealing out pretty good damage, and 52% win rate in Iron Duke despite the weak damage output.  It makes me feel as though my personal game is irrelevant to the team as a whole.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
12 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

What am I doing wrong with the RN battleships?

I got the Iron Duke and Orion blueprints (missed out on Bellerophon!), and gave them each 3-point captains grown from Caledon with Priority Target and Expert Marksman.  I had no BB experience before getting these, so I make no claim to be any good.  Each has just gotten up to 6-point captains within the last battle or two (I took Superintendent on ID and Basics of Survivability on Orion).

After 27 games in Iron Duke I have averaged only 30.3k damage.  After 25 games in Orion I have averaged 45.3k damage.  What gives?  Same player, same skill captains, how can my Orion do 50% more average damage?

By the way, I have only 36% win rate in Orion despite dealing out pretty good damage, and 52% win rate in Iron Duke despite the weak damage output.  It makes me feel as though my personal game is irrelevant to the team as a whole.

Iron Duke is basically Orion, tweaked up a bit, stuffed into Tier V.

Tier V ships face a very uphill battle because the current Match Maker shafts Tier V-VI ships to be repeatedly facing Tier VII (for the Tier V) or Tier VIII (for the Tier VI).  This is because Tier IV is protected.  You rarely get to play against Tier IV ships with your Tier V, so all you face with your Tier V ship are equal or higher tier ships.  That's tough, even for some existing, amazing Tier V ships like Konig and Murmansk.

Now, where do you stand in your Tier IV-V RN BB performance?

The Dmg Average for Orion is 46k

The Dmg Average for Iron Duke is 42k.  You're behind the curve on this one.

It's natural that guys' performance drops when they get to Tier V.  The competition goes from easy mode of a Tier IV BB beating up on hapless Danaes and Tier III BBs, to suddenly facing

Tier VI Arizona 356mm

Tier VI Warspite 381mm

Tier VII Nagato 410mm

Tier VII Scharnhorst 280-something mm

Tier VII Colorado 406mm

Tier VII Nelson 406mm

Etc.

The guns Iron Duke faces compared to what Orion did is a night and day affair in terms of threat levels.  Iron Duke sees far, FAR more dangerous competition.  IMO, a Tier V BB needs to emphasize survival first and foremost in playstyle.

Most Tier V-VI BBs cannot bow tank 15" and 16" (380mm-410mm+) AP shells.  They will penetrate you if you try to go bow on.  You need to angle, think 20-30 degrees and hope the shells bounce off the belt.  That's all you can hope for when your low tier BB is overmatched by superior guns.  Even then, if you sharply angle like that, they can still lob AP shells to smash your turrets or into your lower superstructure to still land solid damage.  But this is preferable than being straight bow on or showing broadside and getting citadeled.  For your Tier V-VI BBs facing 15" and larger guns, in survival, the only thing you have is angling to lessen the pain you're about to feel.

Another tip:  Be careful in your Damage Control Party use, especially in dealing with fires.  1 fire?  Let it burn out, save your Damage Control (DCP).  2+ fires?  Put it out, use DCP.  Do not be baited to put out 1 fire as that happens frequently.  If you do, and you waste DCP for that, then you are wide open for subsequent fires to burn and rage across the ship as your DCP is on CD.  It's crucial you learn when you use your consumables to milk the survival of your BB.

Another tip:

Sail your Battleship with friends, Cruiser and DD presence are a good thing.  They keep enemy DDs away from getting close and dropping torps against you.  They also make the very fast sailing BBs of Tier VII like Scharnhorst, Gneisenau wary in rushing you.  If you are alone, those 30kt BBs will run you down.  If you got friends, they cannot do that as your friends will attack them also.

In addition, in later tiers where AA improves, having friends nearby, people contribute their AA to help each other.  That makes it costly for a CV to send planes against you (because a BB is always the preferred target of a CV, next are DDs).  If you are sailing alone in a CV match with your BB, I guarantee you, you are going to be the target once they rearm their bombers.  A lone BB is free money to collect for a CV.

• Cool 2

Members
303 posts
4,537 battles

Thanks for the tips, Gray.  I am hip to the recommended DCP use, so I don't think that is what is hurting me.  I totally agree about the matchmaking difference really hurting the playability of Tier V ships.  Maybe certain aspects of my playstyle allow me to do better (not just absolute, but also relative to others in the same ship) in lower tier games, and fail so badly in higher tiers.  It is certainly no fun to play in a +2 uptiered game in my ID, Konigsburg, La Gal, and as soon as I get spotted have Priority Target display (4).  Maybe in the cruisers I can run, but ID is slower than anybody else she is going to meet in those games.

I have a lot of Tier V ships unlocked but not purchased.  I don't know if I want to get rid of my Tier IVs and plunge completely into the nightmare matchmaking of the Tier V and VI.   :-(

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Thanks for the tips, Gray.  I am hip to the recommended DCP use, so I don't think that is what is hurting me.  I totally agree about the matchmaking difference really hurting the playability of Tier V ships.  Maybe certain aspects of my playstyle allow me to do better (not just absolute, but also relative to others in the same ship) in lower tier games, and fail so badly in higher tiers.  It is certainly no fun to play in a +2 uptiered game in my ID, Konigsburg, La Gal, and as soon as I get spotted have Priority Target display (4).  Maybe in the cruisers I can run, but ID is slower than anybody else she is going to meet in those games.

I have a lot of Tier V ships unlocked but not purchased.  I don't know if I want to get rid of my Tier IVs and plunge completely into the nightmare matchmaking of the Tier V and VI.   :-(

Try Orion but this time only HE. Don't use AP  and stay mid don't get too close, stay with other ships    come back let us know how it went. I'm averaging 70k just by burning everything down.

shot-17.10.08_13.29.34-0824.jpg

[HAN]
Members
1 post
832 battles
On 10/9/2017 at 2:53 AM, STINKWEED_ said:

Try Orion but this time only HE. Don't use AP  and stay mid don't get too close, stay with other ships    come back let us know how it went. I'm averaging 70k just by burning everything down.

shot-17.10.08_13.29.34-0824.jpg

holy hell...23 fires

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles
13 hours ago, albertsmart said:

holy hell...23 fires

I love the Orion ….  I have a 15 pt captain. Seal clubbing is so much pleasure