Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KC_zz15

Seeking insane Yamato captains

27 comments in this topic

[PEPE]
Members
31 posts
3,612 battles

I'm looking for people dumb enough who love memes and went with a full secondary build Yamato with Manual Firing secondaries. Please give me your tips & tricks you've learned from playing one (that doesn't involve "don't do it") for getting better results and more secondary hits in one. I'm just 125k xp from my own secondary Yamato now, so I'd like to gather any tips you guys might have beforehand.

[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles

Probably not going to see too many secondary build Yamatos out there, as she isn't a very good brawler.  She's a better intermediate range fighter due to her abysmally slow turret traverse.  Almost every other T10 BB is a better brawler than Yamato.

[RKLES]
Members
8,394 posts
10,650 battles

If it's anything like Full secondary build Bismarck you will need the secondary equipment of course as well as the Secindary Signal flag, then for Captain skills you need Preventive Maintenance, Expert Markman, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, Superintendent, and of Course Manual Secondaries.

You also want the Rudder shift Mod and Concealment Mod mounted since you will need to be able to better turn and the Concealment Mod if you hold fire until detected can get you a lot closer to secondary range than usual, but the catch is main guns must remain silent as you move in until you get detected.

I am currently on Amagi myself and looking forward to Yamato. I have gotten a lot of Practice using my full secondary Bismarck so might try it in Yamato.

Big thing is to plan out your route since you don't want to run into the main bulk of the enemy team, when your secondary build you want to take them on in groups no larger than 3 depending on what they are and typically the DDs are the priority target for the secondary since the spray of fire will be more effective than your main guns and this frees your main guns up for targeting CAs and BBs.

Members
9 posts
5 battles

3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Probably not going to see too many secondary build Yamatos out there, as she isn't a very good brawler.  She's a better intermediate range fighter due to her abysmally slow turret traverse.  Almost every other T10 BB is a better brawler than Yamato.

This. The best advice I could give you is to switch to fire prevention for your second T4 skill. Otherwise you are going to break your keyboard when you get roasted by the Conqueror. Surely you can have occasional moments of fun but it is not worth it as the majority of the time you are going to end up being BBQ.

[RKLES]
Members
8,394 posts
10,650 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yeah and most of those deck guns are actually AA, I would say the German tier X is likely the better Brawler considering how the Germsn line is.

[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and most of those deck guns are actually AA, I would say the German tier X is likely the better Brawler considering how the Germsn line is.

Even Montana is better up close, as her turret traverse can keep pace in close quarters.

[RKLES]
Members
8,394 posts
10,650 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Even Montana is better up close, as her turret traverse can keep pace in close quarters.

Lol but beware of a good Bismarck, have chewed Montana right down in brawls and left them sinking, granted AI usyally sail away with a lot less HP than I would like, but still lol.

[PEPE]
Members
31 posts
3,612 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Big thing is to plan out your route since you don't want to run into the main bulk of the enemy team, when your secondary build you want to take them on in groups no larger than 3 depending on what they are and typically the DDs are the priority target for the secondary since the spray of fire will be more effective than your main guns and this frees your main guns up for targeting CAs and BBs.

This is the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks. Not interested in captain skills or upgrades, those have been planned out for a while now which is why I didn't ask about those parts.

As for the rest of you, I specifically stated "that doesn't involve "don't do it"".

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles

With my 19 point Yamato captain I run full second concealment yamato

Members
9 posts
5 battles

Comparing the secondary alone,

Yamato’s broadside* secondaries has:

*(The maximum secondaries that can fire at one side)

The two types of 12.7cm firing HE: 277,200 DPM with 8% fire chance

The 15.5cm which fires AP: 99,000 DPM

They reach out to 7km stock.

G.K’s broadside secondaries:

The 128cm: 225,000 DPM with 5% fire chance

The 150cm: 54,400 DPM with 8% fire chance

They reach out to 7.7km stock.

Yamato’s, though shorter ranged, looks much more potent. Doesn't it?

However, unlike G.K’s secondaries which are armoured. Yamato’s 127s have no armour to speak of and are easily destroyed. Her 15.5cm secondaries have like what? 25mm of armour?

And considering her rather slow main turret turning speed, her above water citadel, man, I know you want to have fun but I'm telling you this is not the way to do it and your 'against the meta' build doesn't really work.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,146 posts
8,009 battles

I run a semi-secondary build on my Yamato, 19-point captain.  AFT, manual control and SecMod2, but not BFT or SecMod3.  It's helped me with enemy DDs a few times and has helped set quite a few fires.  77 battles and 64.94% winrate so I think it's viable.

I don't recommend a full secondary build, namely because you want to have some survivability skills in the mix(fire prevention especially.)  The longer you live, the more your secondaries can shoot up ships.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,865 posts
6,889 battles
50 minutes ago, Anti_Asuna said:

Comparing the secondary alone,

Yamato’s broadside* secondaries has:

*(The maximum secondaries that can fire at one side)

The two types of 12.7cm firing HE: 277,200 DPM with 8% fire chance

The 15.5cm which fires AP: 99,000 DPM

They reach out to 7km stock.

G.K’s broadside secondaries:

The 128cm: 225,000 DPM with 5% fire chance

The 150cm: 54,400 DPM with 8% fire chance

They reach out to 7.7km stock.

Yamato’s, though shorter ranged, looks much more potent. Doesn't it?

However, unlike G.K’s secondaries which are armoured. Yamato’s 127s have no armour to speak of and are easily destroyed. Her 15.5cm secondaries have like what? 25mm of armour?

And considering her rather slow main turret turning speed, her above water citadel, man, I know you want to have fun but I'm telling you this is not the way to do it and your 'against the meta' build doesn't really work.

Don't Forget the following two things:

1. AP Secondaries are in General less usable, as they only deal Shell damage against lightly armored Targets that don't angle.

2. German Secondaries have improved HE Penetration. The IJN 127mm gun will only penetrate up to 20mm of armor. The German 128mm however penetrates 31mm of armor and the 150mm penetrates 37mm. So Cruisers are no Problem whatsoever for the German Secondaries.

Members
2,079 posts
8,154 battles

British BBs and tier 10 cruisers will strip away your secondaries faster than you get to use them, and no - that module you are planning to use is not going to help.  By all means, nerf your main guns and survivability to see that happen time after time.  Hope to see you on the red team.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
1 hour ago, Anti_Asuna said:

The best advice I could give you is to switch to fire prevention for your second T4 skill.

This advice is also encouraged by @Pope_Shizzle, who is a damn fine BB captain. I learned it from him reading one of his posts, used it on Ark Beta, and have never been sorry.

[PEPE]
Members
31 posts
3,612 battles

If I could give dislikes, know that I would be giving them to most of you.

General maneuvering and positioning tips etc, or don't reply.

Beta Testers
1,497 posts
7,362 battles

My general experience playing Manual Sec Yamato is:  don't try to do anything special with your secondaries.

Basically, despite the number of them, and the respectable firing rate, your secondaries will do very little direct damage.  Their main purpose is to rack up fires on BBs that enter your secondary range, as well as zone off pesky DDs.
Unlike a secondary spec Nagato, a secondary specc'd Yamato unlocks no new strategies.  It's not useless though.  It can ward off enemy DDs before they even decide to make a torp run.  It tends to scare cruisers as well.  It's exceptionally good when you're kiting away from enemy BBs chasing you.  If you're kiting an enemy you can easily rack up tons of fire damage while you lolpen them through their bow.

But never try to intentionally play more aggressive to use them.  Think of them as a power multiplier.  If you're in a strong defensive stance (kiting away), it vastly increases your power.  If you're moving towards the enemy, with Yamato's horrible brawling ability, you're basically multiplying 0.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,218 posts
13,857 battles

I'm a Yamato Brawler...and a BB brawler in general.  As much as I like to brawl, my WR in Yamato and even Kurfurst is in the 40s, whereas my Montana (which is more of a mid range killer, and I play/build her as such) is in the 60s.  The Jury is still out on Kurfurst because I don't have a 19 point captain on her, but I doubt the stats will change much.

Surviving (at a range where main gun damage can be delivered) is where the T10 BBs win games.

I use to run a full secondary build with Yamato, but have since removed the designation skill and used those points for survivability skills; I call this the sub-optimal secondary build.    I still have the 10.6 km range.  Keep in mind the sub-optimal secondary build also extends one's AA bubble.

Brawling requires friendly support.  I'm always looking to push early.  But without decent support, I get focused, fried, and torped.   With a few DDs and fellow BBs and CAs, any of the T10 BBs make excellent center's of gravity for a solid push. That's then I roll.

Also, one thing that makes the KM line such good early push brawlers is their hydro.  Early pushes mean early torps.  I always activate hydro if detected on a push.  Early detection makes it easy to comb.  But even with KM, you gotta have support.  Gotta have the flanks covered.  Even more so with Yamato since the early torp warning is almost nill.  And can't always rely on spotter plane.     

• Cool 1

[PEPE]
Members
31 posts
3,612 battles
29 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

My general experience playing Manual Sec Yamato is:  don't try to do anything special with your secondaries.

Basically, despite the number of them, and the respectable firing rate, your secondaries will do very little direct damage.  Their main purpose is to rack up fires on BBs that enter your secondary range, as well as zone off pesky DDs.
Unlike a secondary spec Nagato, a secondary specc'd Yamato unlocks no new strategies.  It's not useless though.  It can ward off enemy DDs before they even decide to make a torp run.  It tends to scare cruisers as well.  It's exceptionally good when you're kiting away from enemy BBs chasing you.  If you're kiting an enemy you can easily rack up tons of fire damage while you lolpen them through their bow.

But never try to intentionally play more aggressive to use them.  Think of them as a power multiplier.  If you're in a strong defensive stance (kiting away), it vastly increases your power.  If you're moving towards the enemy, with Yamato's horrible brawling ability, you're basically multiplying 0.

See, now this is how you do advice. One thing I have noticed about the Yamato in general and fighting it in various BBs: that bow is a nightmare. A Yamato can just sail straight into a cap I'm trying to bat enemy ships away from to about 9km from me and I find there's not a damn thing I can do about it, he might as well have a deflector field for anything I fire at him. Anything to watch out for if I tried something similar?

[RS]
Members
371 posts
14,869 battles

Okay, I own the Yammie and I've been called insane before.......also called other things but I've never been convicted.......

First of all congratulations on your Yammie. It is hard work, or lots of money, to get there and you should feel all warm an snuggly for achieving godhood. You may now penetrate anything with your super duper whopper guns. (do not say that in front of mommie) 

But on to your question. Once upon a time in a land far far away the Yammie had the absolute best secondaries and people actually made Youtube video's and laughed about how they slaughtered enemy ships. In our more modern times.( this last year) Yammie has given up its secondaries status to Kurfurst and people have been badmouthing it, just because we burn in seconds and are still everyone's favorite target. Don't believe it. (its true, but don't believe it anyway) The Yammie is still pure death if played well, including its secondaries. And all you have to do is remember one little simple formula.

Stay BACK! then close to point blank range.

Stay back means that especially early in the game you are everyones happy target. You can not survive having every ship in the game setting you on fire so stay way back and snipe. If you try to push you will quickly realize how many cowards are on your team and you'll never get to hear those secondaries going off.

Instead worry about the map. You're sole job is to find an angle of attack that lets you get close to an enemy ship without taking absurd damage. Islands are your friends. A scouting DD is an Angel sent by God himself to help you. But remember. You need to pick your time to rush in. Once you are in the ideal place is right up next to the enemy. Get as close as you can without ramming. At less than 5km your secondary hits will go through the roof. With the full build you'll pretty much score with every shot. Last word...... it will be over shortly. If you set it up right the duel will be over in less than a minute then one of you is dead and can go for beer and the other one will have to make your little brother get it as you'll still have the game to finish.

Hope I helped.

[RS]
Members
371 posts
14,869 battles

Okay, I own the Yammie and I've been called insane before.......also called other things but I've never been convicted.......

First of all congratulations on your Yammie. It is hard work, or lots of money, to get there and you should feel all warm an snuggly for achieving godhood. You may now penetrate anything with your super duper whopper guns. (do not say that in front of mommie) 

But on to your question. Once upon a time in a land far far away the Yammie had the absolute best secondaries and people actually made Youtube video's and laughed about how they slaughtered enemy ships. In our more modern times.( this last year) Yammie has given up its secondaries status to Kurfurst and people have been badmouthing it, just because we burn in seconds and are still everyone's favorite target. Don't believe it. (its true, but don't believe it anyway) The Yammie is still pure death if played well, including its secondaries. And all you have to do is remember one little simple formula.

Stay BACK! then close to point blank range.

Stay back means that especially early in the game you are everyones happy target. You can not survive having every ship in the game setting you on fire so stay way back and snipe. If you try to push you will quickly realize how many cowards are on your team and you'll never get to hear those secondaries going off.

Instead worry about the map. You're sole job is to find an angle of attack that lets you get close to an enemy ship without taking absurd damage. Islands are your friends. A scouting DD is an Angel sent by God himself to help you. But remember. You need to pick your time to rush in. Once you are in the ideal place is right up next to the enemy. Get as close as you can without ramming. At less than 5km your secondary hits will go through the roof. With the full build you'll pretty much score with every shot. Last word...... it will be over shortly. If you set it up right the duel will be over in less than a minute then one of you is dead and can go for beer and the other one will have to make your little brother get it as you'll still have the game to finish.

Hope I helped.

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
85 posts
3,998 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If it's anything like Full secondary build Bismarck you will need the secondary equipment of course as well as the Secindary Signal flag, then for Captain skills you need Preventive Maintenance, Expert Markman, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, Superintendent, and of Course Manual Secondaries.

You also want the Rudder shift Mod and Concealment Mod mounted since you will need to be able to better turn and the Concealment Mod if you hold fire until detected can get you a lot closer to secondary range than usual, but the catch is main guns must remain silent as you move in until you get detected.

I am currently on Amagi myself and looking forward to Yamato. I have gotten a lot of Practice using my full secondary Bismarck so might try it in Yamato.

For a secondary build on any BB you are mostly correct, however I respectfully suggest that fire prevention over concealment and adrenaline rush is a MUST HAVE for a secondary build.

Beta Testers
1,497 posts
7,362 battles
14 hours ago, KC_zz15 said:

See, now this is how you do advice. One thing I have noticed about the Yamato in general and fighting it in various BBs: that bow is a nightmare. A Yamato can just sail straight into a cap I'm trying to bat enemy ships away from to about 9km from me and I find there's not a damn thing I can do about it, he might as well have a deflector field for anything I fire at him. Anything to watch out for if I tried something similar?

Well, first of all what ship are you in?  If you're in a Yamato yourself, just fire straight at the bow.  You'll be able to overmatch it and penetrate the citadel from the front bulkhead.
If you're in a BB and the Yamato isn't perfectly bow on aim directly under her first turret at citadel level.  Yamato has an hexagonal citadel, like a stop sign, and if she's showing enough angle that you won't autobounce her citadel armor will be close to unangled.  At 9km it's possible to multicit a Yamato there with a bit of luck.

59d32a64c4b2d_YamatoWeakspot.thumb.jpg.fed936f1fcbebc35b9dd890c90f6ef83.jpg

Notice how the armor is only 350mm.  This weakspot is probably Yamato's biggest weakness, and one of the major reasons she's so bad at close quarter fights with other BBs.  

• Cool 1

Members
612 posts
3,335 battles

Tried to make it work when I first got it and ended up respec'ing the captain pretty quick for concealment and torp detection. I also swapped the modules to AA since I was no longer getting in close to warrant secondary mods. I don't plan on changing it any time soon. The secondaries are very good but the main gun turret traverse and massive raised citadel as well as poor maneuverability.... well to put it bluntly you're asking to be obliterated by torps and other BB trying to make Yamato work like a Kurfurst.

However, unlike G.K’s secondaries which are armoured. Yamato’s 127s have no armour to speak of and are easily destroyed. Her 15.5cm secondaries have like what? 25mm of armour

The 127s are pretty robust actually. They don't seem to die. I'd wager they have the same resilience as Montana's 5" guns and Kurfursts secondaries. The 155 is kind of moot. Historically they were a very good secondary but since they fire AP in game, and AP from secondaries is worthless against anything but a perfectly broadside DD at suicide range, they generally contribute nothing. Truth be told they could use a good buff because as is they're entirely wasted.

Edited by ksix

[CELTS]
Members
80 posts
7,883 battles

Think folks pretty much covered everything, but here's my 2 cents.

Full secondary build on Yamato isn't the best option, but it can be viable if you are always on teams or in divisions that like to push and support each other.  Just be aware all German BB T8 and above do secondary builds better than Yammy now.  The Yamato strengths aren't brawling due to turn radius/speed, gun rotation speeds.

The primary source of all your damage is your main guns.  They are very accurate, very punishing, and just a pleasure to fire every 30sec or so.

You should be striving to be at 15-25k from all your targets, which would eliminate the usefulness of a full secondary build.  I now find if my secondaries are firing I am far too close.

I think of secondaries on Yamato as a survival tool, much like AA.  Not needed every match, but you want them to be good enough to be effective when you do need them.  I take AFT,BFT which improve both at the same time.  I take the secondary extended range module, although nowdays I'm thinking I shouldn't anymore.  I use secondaries about once every 5-7 matches lately.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,651 posts
3,735 battles

Once upon a time Yamato could have used brute force and her secondaries to terrorize enemy ships. That time is long gone. That was back when the armor modeling detail was a bit lower, leaving Yamato with slightly more immunity angles when on approach and when Yamato had Super Repair Party allowing her to heal about 60% of non-Citadel damage taken, like Warspite (heck; Yamato also had Warspite's maneuverability as well, for awhile in CBT, which made up plenty for her poor concealment).

Nowadays, there's no real reason to go for a pure secondary build on Yamato; most DDs now attempt to torp spam just outside Yamato's effective secondary range, and Fire Prevention helps her out more. Moreso now that the RN BBs love to firebomb everything. Having BFT and AFT is enough to generally disturb some enemy players when both sides light up and an endless rain of fire comes at them, and also benefit AA enough that using the AA module rather than the Secondary Module can be a bit of a nasty surprise to some CVs thinking the Yamato is an easy target.

Sign in to follow this