You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

How do you deal with enemy campers?

39 comments in this topic

Members
296 posts
5,255 battles

In my last game there were not just campers, no, it was the perfect definition of campers. If you want to know what is a camper, you should have been in my last game... Tier VIII battle, the map was this one with a big island and channel in the middle. I was a North Carolina and with my main team as a Battleship pushing according to the rythm of my team players. In front of me at the very back of the map: a North Carolina and Alabama, both stand, quiet, no movement at all, just dropping APs and HEs to anything in their range. I finally gave up and moved to another place. The result: half of my team killed, the enemy team annihilated. Even after winning the game with 115 k I feel angry and pissed about this behaviour. How easy is to just sit and drop shells to anybody in range! and boring!

Members
2,133 posts
8,794 battles

One reason I main the VMF DDs. Khab in particular has the highest speed in the game, so she can chase after campers and burn them to the ground with ease. And with that top speed of 43 knots(not including modifiers like Sierra Mike and Engine Boost) they’re not running away either

Edited by FireAndHEspam

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,227 posts

I hunt and kill campers.   I flank and focus fire bow campers and highlight them for my team to focus on.

if you sit still or sail backward you're an easy target and I take advantage of it.

[SYN]
Members
14,871 posts
11,351 battles

Dealing with the enemy camping is easy.

You just tighten the noose around their necks further by encircling them and not giving them any means of escape.

Now, it's when there is a kiting Scharnhorst, or similar, does it get quite annoying.
Such a kiting ship may give up the objective, but it will delay or deny your team from encircling their team, which can buy the reds enough time to group up, come to their senses, and actually go for the caps.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,704 posts

They need to change the difference between got dinged and didn't get a scratch service costs to be a much larger gap.  Want to camp?  That will cost you more credits if you don't get damaged.

Members
1,140 posts

camping is fine, because you cant camp player spawn points, as people only have 1 life per game and once sunk your playing is over for the rest of that game, which makes it completely and totally different to the likes of camping a spawn point where people respawn as per many MP games, which is frowned upon  .

it is to be expected that people will use their ships advantage, and if that advantage is long range and the fact that DD etc on the same side are using their advantage to help spot, than it is to be expected.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

In my last game there were not just campers, no, it was the perfect definition of campers. If you want to know what is a camper, you should have been in my last game... Tier VIII battle, the map was this one with a big island and channel in the middle. I was a North Carolina and with my main team as a Battleship pushing according to the rythm of my team players. In front of me at the very back of the map: a North Carolina and Alabama, both stand, quiet, no movement at all, just dropping APs and HEs to anything in their range. I finally gave up and moved to another place. The result: half of my team killed, the enemy team annihilated. Even after winning the game with 115 k I feel angry and pissed about this behaviour. How easy is to just sit and drop shells to anybody in range! and boring!

Let me get this straight. The enemy did something dumb, you won, and now you want them to stop camping?

This isn't like WoT where visibility often decides life and death. If the enemy is camping, then leave them there. Go deal with the rest of their team and then come back with superior numbers. 

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
130 posts
8,998 battles
9 minutes ago, DingBat said:

If the enemy is camping, then leave them there. Go deal with the rest of their team and then come back with superior numbers. 

Yep, this is the way to go - campers generally only hurt their own team - come back in greater numbers or if a DD is still alive, non moving BB's make great torp targets.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,894 posts
8,536 battles

You know and it may not be the case here, but most players are not thinking.

You see you DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE BASE TO WIN.

that's right, you see some times it best and is very effective when a team stays behind.

Because most of you try to win the game in the first 5 minutes and then spend the game on chat complaining about how you were not supported or died. Sometimes campers are defending player. Which I have done numerous times at T8 in the Kutuzov. The issue is by defending at the end while yo all yolo off and die, leaves me to clean up serious damage on half health ships. what you may perceive as camping on yours or the other team may not be at all. also BBs fire about 15 salvos a game, you do not charge with that rate of fire and if you do I will sink you. Lastly and this is a new concept to a lot of players THE GAME CAN BE 20 minutes...........USE THEM.

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,124 posts
9,327 battles

Campers or defenders... If it's the 2 cap map.. its defending.  More than one cap, start taking other caps.

[SALVO]
Members
18,369 posts
18,943 battles
11 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

You know and it may not be the case here, but most players are not thinking.

You see you DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE BASE TO WIN.

that's right, you see some times it best and is very effective when a team stays behind.

Because most of you try to win the game in the first 5 minutes and then spend the game on chat complaining about how you were not supported or died. Sometimes campers are defending player. Which I have done numerous times at T8 in the Kutuzov. The issue is by defending at the end while yo all yolo off and die, leaves me to clean up serious damage on half health ships. what you may perceive as camping on yours or the other team may not be at all. also BBs fire about 15 salvos a game, you do not charge with that rate of fire and if you do I will sink you. Lastly and this is a new concept to a lot of players THE GAME CAN BE 20 minutes...........USE THEM.

IMO, what you're describing gives up the initiative.  You leave yourself no room to fall back and fight running withdrawals, etc.  It seems like a failed strategy from the very start.

Now, I'm not saying that one must yolo into the enemy either.  I think that one can play somewhat defensively and allow the enemy to make the mistakes without hard camping your base in standard mode.

I do agree that patience is a virtue.  OTOH, there are times when you've truly gained an advantage where it's best to push the enemy hard and to either force them to make mistakes.  Or if you've caught an enemy ship or 2 alone and greatly outnumbered, to run them down to sink them and not allow them to fall back and regroup with the rest of their team.

Another thing is that if you just fort up at your base in standard mode, you're giving up any chance to set up ambushes, then fall back, and do it all over again.  You're just manning your last line of defense and giving yourself no other options.  That sounds like terrible strategy to me.

Members
681 posts
7,484 battles

I love campers. They make good targets for IJN  Destroyers.

Getting past the other destroyers and cruisers is another thing though. 

Sometimes you can't get to them fast enough to help the team. 

[SF-E]
Members
376 posts
11,091 battles
1 hour ago, b101uk said:

camping is fine, because you cant camp player spawn points, as people only have 1 life per game and once sunk your playing is over for the rest of that game, which makes it completely and totally different to the likes of camping a spawn point where people respawn as per many MP games, which is frowned upon  .

it is to be expected that people will use their ships advantage, and if that advantage is long range and the fact that DD etc on the same side are using their advantage to help spot, than it is to be expected.

I don't think you get it at all.

The range of a BB is what makes up for their (in general) slower speeds and lack of utility. When a BB camps at max range, they are providing no utility to the team. A max camping BB is only good at killing stationary ships.... that is about it. Players that want to improve their damage, win rate, and kill stats need to learn ship tactics and what WASD is for. 

Members
1,140 posts
1 minute ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

I don't think you get it at all.

The range of a BB is what makes up for their (in general) slower speeds and lack of utility. When a BB camps at max range, they are providing no utility to the team. A max camping BB is only good at killing stationary ships.... that is about it. Players that want to improve their damage, win rate, and kill stats need to learn ship tactics and what WASD is for. 

I don't think that you get at all that a BB even at maximum range (like many ships at their maximum range) can be quite effective with moving ships, if with the support of the rest of the team their is no enemy ships spotting you and your target is more interested in more immediate threats to it that are seen, likewise being a bit further away can help you dropping shells behind islands etc that you wouldn't otherwise be able to achieve if you were a couple of KM closer.

[SF-E]
Members
376 posts
11,091 battles
6 minutes ago, b101uk said:

if with the support of the rest of the team their is no enemy ships spotting you and your target is more interested in more immediate threats to it that are seen

You are making my point for me.... BBs sitting at max range are only effective "if with the support of the rest of the team...". Camping BBs are RELYING ON THEIR TEAM TO WIN FOR THEM instead of contributing to success. It is a very unsophisticated and uninformed approach to the game.

Members
1,140 posts
21 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

You are making my point for me.... BBs sitting at max range are only effective "if with the support of the rest of the team...". Camping BBs are RELYING ON THEIR TEAM TO WIN FOR THEM instead of contributing to success. It is a very unsophisticated and uninformed approach to the game.

I will redirect you my original post you first quoted saying "I don't think you get it at all.", given I said "it is to be expected that people will use their ships advantage, and if that advantage is long range and the fact that DD etc on the same side are using their advantage to help spot, than it is to be expected." shows I clearly made the point before you even posted.

likewise BB should be behind CL/CA's which themselves should be behind DD's and if you are collectively playing defensively your whole team is more or less camping to some degree, and camping in itself dose NOT by any stretch of imagination mean your relying on the rest of the team to win when you can still be responsible for reducing large amounts of the other teams cumulative damage HP even though it will be DD and CL/CA with their faster firing weapons who will finish off a ship.

really you have made zero points, and the only thing you have made for yourself is the literary bed you now lay in.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,364 posts
5,853 battles

Honestly, I think there are way too many players who feel affronted when other players don't play the game the way they want them to. Especially when they then demand the devs change the game to suit their own play preferences.

The enemy BBs in this case decided to make a reinforced defensive position. That's their call to make, and not the opposing players. They gave up initiative and the ability to engage in other areas to control one part of the map. As the enemy, it's up to you to use what they have given up against them by either bypassing them or using their immobility to get easy shots on them. As their teamates, you either have to convince them why you think their strategy is wrong or use what they've done to take out the enemy while they distract them.

Either way, it is not up to you to decide what another player chooses to do in a random battle unless they give you that. Don't act offended when they play in ways other than your own unless it is clearly avoiding battle or sabotaging the team. In this case, you don't know if the other team intended them to do this or not.

Members
283 posts
3,196 battles

Last time I saw this strategy, I was in a Cleveland, and teamed with an Atlanta to burn 3 Tier 7 BBs to the waterline.  Islands really are your friend sometimes,  thanks to that Atlanta player for knowing the map well and showing me where to set up.

More recently I've used that same strategy against campers in the Operations to my advantage.  Makes farming damage easy in most any cruiser on the docked BB and CV without worrying about return fire.

Members
296 posts
5,255 battles

I don't get the point. You can defend a base or other ship/s but I am talking about people that don't move their ships and play like a stationary object. What is the benefit of doing that? Your gameplay is basically as simple as shooting to anything around you.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,364 posts
5,853 battles
1 minute ago, Avrova1904 said:

I don't get the point. You can defend a base or other ship/s but I am talking about people that don't move their ships and play like a stationary object. What is the benefit of doing that? Your gameplay is basically as simple as shooting to anything around you.

The point is just what you said...it's a simple shooting situation where all those BBs have to worry about is shooting. They don't have to split their time with maneuvering or worrying about where they are going. They are also forcing any enemy in range to either go someplace else or take sustained fire. Lastly, they don't have to correct for their own changing range, but only the enemy's. That means better accuracy.

I may not agree with doing it, but it is not without some advantages.