You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

Pics of the Richelieu-class fast battleships. (Image heavy)

20 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,703 posts
4,256 battles

Hi guys! 

So with the recent news of the in progress models of the French BBs, I thought I'd do a post entirely on the Richelieu class for you guys.

Pics are from http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/ and google image search.

Let's get this show on the seas!

IwsZgwh.jpg

Richelieu from above after her American refit sporting many Oerlikons and Bofors.

a5map1f.png

Richelieu tied up alongside a Suffren-class heavy cruiser, and a La Galissonnière-class light cruiser.

a8WDHxf.jpg

Richelieu at anchor, from the stern port side. Her nameplate can be seen here.

uiGkQAe.jpg

Richelieu from the port bow, with sailors lining the rails.

rydDouS.jpg

Richelieu from the port beam, with barges alongside.

jaTrgjW.jpg

Richelieu sailing under the Brooklyn Bridge. Her range finders and masts had to be cut down so she could fit under the bridge.

8XTh2kT.jpg

Richelieu in choppy seas with her guns trained to port.

OafklMA.jpg

Richelieu from the stern. Her secondary batteries, including their extreme elevation angles due to them being dual purpose, are shown here.

t2YnPGb.jpg

Richelieu from an overhead stern quarter view, showing off her impressive AA battery.

By1iX1N.jpg

An excellent port beam shot of Richelieu underway at low speed.

4rDzQJ5.jpg

A close up of Richelieu's superstructure and B turret.

1ltq3Cc.jpg

A very nice image of Richelieu underway from the starboard beam. (Note, if this is a drawing or painting, I am not sure)

Zhrs81x.jpg

Sailors standing underneath Richelieu's A turret.

Jean Bart.

mexaqxr.jpg

Jean Bart, in an excellent true color picture, of her starboard beam.

9iIop5s.jpg

Close ups of Jean Bart's DP guns aft.

oROOjvk.jpg

A true color image of Jean Bart along side Suffren and Montcalm. (Note, these two cruisers might be the same from above, however the BB in each picture is different)

luayidl.jpg
A very nice overhead starboard beam shot of Jean Bart underway. The differences are readily apparent from the two views of the sisters.

YCca7vc.jpg

Jean Bart along side Suffren and Montcalm. De Grasse or Colbert is also seen, as well as a destroyer.

Or7bs7j.jpg

Jean Bart under construction. Turret A is operational and finished, while B turret is still being constructed.

z7NUDAp.jpg

Jean Bart underway at speed from the port stern beam. 

U7KA30T.jpg

Jean Bart showing her damage after her run in with USS Massachusetts (BB-59).

w2VMnkH.jpg

Jean Bart underway from a port bow view.

c5fdsJE.jpg

Jean Bart at anchor at Villefranche sur Mer.

GwwSo0A.png

Jean Bart anchored, again, next to Suffren and Montcalm.

vSoaxgY.jpg

Jean Bart leaving port, the sailors still manning the rails.

KIZmbvT.jpg

A close up of Jean Bart moored next to the two cruisers.

eRHKRzQ.jpg

An overhead view, showing the cruiser's and battleship's gun and superstructure layout.

pibkSej.jpg

Frigate Le Brestois, moored along side Jean Bart.

vw4SltL.jpg

The repaired, but still incomplete Jean Bart, sails for the US for her completion.

cFOOxEB.jpg

Jean Bart underway at speed from the port beam.

A1KCrsB.jpg

Jean Bart photographed from the air under construction.

NTiamjd.jpg

Another angle of the same pic.

That is all folks I hope you enjoyed! I will still take any suggestions you guys have and keep them noted for the future, so ask away! 

And as always: Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 9

[SPTR]
Members
26,341 posts
11,623 battles

lovely ship~ /^.\\ 

Richie's secondaries is basically the main armaments of a De Grasse and 3 Akizuki's strapped onto it.  

[HINON]
Supertester
20,088 posts
13,529 battles

It's like Dunkerque's supremely angry big brother.

Love it.

• Cool 2

Members
4,709 posts
7,081 battles

Would this class of French battleships been able to give the Bismarck all she wanted?  I am not an expert on this at all.  Just curious. Could they have held their own against Bismarck class? How did they compare?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,703 posts
4,256 battles
21 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Would this class of French battleships been able to give the Bismarck all she wanted?  I am not an expert on this at all.  Just curious. Could they have held their own against Bismarck class? How did they compare?

The guns were in some respects superior, AA especially was superior, as for armor I'm not sure. 

They were designed to answer the Littorio class battleships from Italy.

[SYN]
Members
260 posts
10,440 battles

Richelieu - Beautiful Ship - thanks for the Pics - 

1ltq3Cc.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,437 posts
10,147 battles
13 hours ago, Lert said:

It's like Dunkerque's supremely angry big brother.

Love it.

More like it is the Dunkerque's angry big sister and she is a beauty.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
9 hours ago, dmckay said:

Nope having all your large ammunition under such a huge target is a bad idea. That is why the brits dropped the concept so quickly post Nelson. Lose a turret lose half your fire power and possibly the ship. 

[PVE]
Members
7,194 posts
12,389 battles
4 hours ago, bat1159man said:

Excellent pictures - thanks Doom! +1

Yes, should have added that above with my other comment. Wouldn't want to play the ship but appreciate the photos and is interesting to look at.

Members
1,713 posts
9,117 battles

Hey

Hopefully they treat her better than the wonky wonderful Dunkerque.  Better behaving guns and better armour.  Should be a match for the likes of Nelson or above.

Pete

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
3,137 battles
13 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Nope having all your large ammunition under such a huge target is a bad idea. That is why the brits dropped the concept so quickly post Nelson. Lose a turret lose half your fire power and possibly the ship. 

Nelson's issues had more to deal with the fact that it put a lot of stress on the spine. French bb's solved this by stuffing only two turrets, not three. There aren't anymore turrets on the front of the ship as compared to any other battleship. 

Also, the turrets had a massive armored plate dividing the port two rifles and starboard two rifles two prevent total loss of guns due to a breach. Personally I find this unrealistic since a breach would probably warp/damage the turret ring enough that it could not longer rotate, then its a moot point if the other two rifles are still okay if they cannot rotate.

Members
837 posts
4,929 battles
2 hours ago, 1An0maly1 said:

Nelson's issues had more to deal with the fact that it put a lot of stress on the spine. French bb's solved this by stuffing only two turrets, not three. There aren't anymore turrets on the front of the ship as compared to any other battleship. 

Also, the turrets had a massive armored plate dividing the port two rifles and starboard two rifles two prevent total loss of guns due to a breach. Personally I find this unrealistic since a breach would probably warp/damage the turret ring enough that it could not longer rotate, then its a moot point if the other two rifles are still okay if they cannot rotate.

The forward guns meant that the French ships could quickly close the range on their opponents while producing only a small target for the enemy. While it's true that barrette or turret ring damage would jam four guns, the inner bulkhead prevented the entire turret from being knocked out by one hit. This did happen to a battleship with a four-gun turret (I'm not sure if it was a French ship or a KGV-class) where one shell took out two guns on one side but the other two were still operational and could fire back.