You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
behindurback

what is up with BBs sailing boardside and not getting punished?!!

64 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
446 posts
3,632 battles

i see BBs slowly moving , reversing, or just sitting absolutely still, completely boardside, yet not get punished at all.

when you shoot them, you get over pens, shatters, but not citadels.   

i know WG is coming out with these new ships with turtle backs and underwater cits, which is absolutely retarded.  

BBs should not be able to sit completely still boardside, and snipe, and not get punished

once upon a time if you sit boardside like a dumb [edited] you get absolutely annihilated 

this game is going down trying to appeal to all the BB shitters

Edited by behindurback

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles

We must be playing two different games then, because unless the opposing BB is angled while stopped, they do get punished.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
446 posts
3,632 battles
1 minute ago, Brohk said:

We must be playing two different games then, because unless the opposing BB is angled while stopped, they do get punished.

i am not talking about a 10k salvo boardside, I am talking about a 50k salvo, 3 cit boardside

you sit boardside not moving, you deserve to lose 90% of your hp

which used to happen back in the days in closed beta, not right now with all these under water citadel, turtle back armor to apease the BB shitters

[SOV]
1,682 posts
6,777 battles
Just now, behindurback said:

i am not talking about a 10k salvo boardside

Neither was I. 

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles

:Smile_popcorn:

Beta Testers
446 posts
3,632 battles
1 minute ago, Brohk said:

Neither was I. 

yea you show me a video of the yamato, which is one of the oldest BB in game and the only tier 10 BB which can be cit like this

try shooting a boardside montana, GK, or conq, which all have lower cit or turtle back amor to appease the boardside BB shitters, you only get like a 15k salvo if lucky

[LYON]
Members
58 posts
2,998 battles

Wait a minute.  Ships that are heavily armored and designed to take punishment are doing that, and somehow that's a problem?  

• Cool 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
680 posts
5,879 battles

I love broadside BBs, as 8+ torpedoes come to say hello to them

Beta Testers
446 posts
3,632 battles
7 minutes ago, Fudd_Life said:

Wait a minute.  Ships that are heavily armored and designed to take punishment are doing that, and somehow that's a problem?  

no amount of armor should allow a player to be completely brain dead and sit still boardside and not get punished, that is terrible game design, you still would have to try to angle to tank dmg

Edited by behindurback

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,394 battles

They have added 2 battleship lines into the game that for all practical purposes are impossible to citadel hit. There is about a 50/50 chance that an enemy BB will virtually be immune to being cit hit. The good thing is, those ships still get absolutely murderized by normal penetration hits, so it hardly matters. I'm not talking 10,000 damage salvos either. I'm talking 25,000+ damage salvos. Who needs a cit hit when you're lopping off 1/3 of someone's HP with standard pens.

[LYON]
Members
58 posts
2,998 battles

The word is "broadside".  

8 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

They have added 2 battleship lines into the game that for all practical purposes are impossible to citadel hit. There is about a 50/50 chance that an enemy BB will virtually be immune to being cit hit. The good thing is, those ships still get absolutely murderized by normal penetration hits, so it hardly matters. I'm not talking 10,000 damage salvos either. I'm talking 25,000+ damage salvos. Who needs a cit hit when you're lopping off 1/3 of someone's HP with standard pens.

And this.  

• Cool 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,619 posts
3,724 battles

The only BBs that are likely to suffer a 50k broadside from straight carelessness are IJN BBs, as they're the only class that retain their more or less historically above water citadel. Every other class either has turtleback (KM BBs) or lowered citadels (RN BBs even though they should have above-water citadels like IJN BBs, and USN BBs) to their benefit.

Of course, aiming and shell angle also counts towards granting those 50k broadside cits, and as far as KM BBs go; just aim higher, they take plenty of regular pen damage through the deck/superstructure at medium-long ranges.

If I had just one complaint though, it's that RN BBs should get their raised citadels, from KGV onwards at least. They already have Super and Hyper Repair Party and better rudder shift to their advantage (besides cruiser-level concealment and high level HE performance).

I'm also of the opinion that Iowa/Missouri/Montana didn't need their citadels lowered, but now that's done, it's much easier to push for an Izumo buff since they can't claim that Iowa has a built-in weakness anymore.

Edited by YamatoA150

[ARGSY]
5,568 posts
20,090 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Would not say immune. Just hard to cit. I landed two cits on RN BB the last few days. And one was a guy that matches to OP description. He stopped broadside with his Lion like he is immortal, just moving a bit forward and backward. Guess he learned that he cannot heal all the citadel damage.

[CASUL]
Members
255 posts
3,575 battles
35 minutes ago, Fudd_Life said:

Yeah, it's a problem for people like this who want BBs to push but also want them to be instantly destroyed if they show the slightest hint of a broadside.

The problem, aside from the basic inanity, is that you are ALWAYS broadside to someone. In high tier matches ships can hit you from 20KM+ away. Someone is going to have a bead on your broadside. And if you can lose "90% of your health" from a single salvo from across the map, you're not really much of a tank.

• Cool 4

[NG-NL]
Members
5,335 posts
8,949 battles

Low and mid-tiers yes, normally sailing broadside is not too punishing.

But vs. a T8+ BB, that's asking for a beating. Happened to me before, and I've done it too.

58 minutes ago, behindurback said:

i see BBs slowly moving , reversing, or just sitting absolutely still, completely boardside, yet not get punished at all.

when you shoot them, you get over pens, shatters, but not citadels.   

i know WG is coming out with these new ships with turtle backs and underwater cits, which is absolutely retarded.  

BBs should not be able to sit completely still boardside, and snipe, and not get punished

once upon a time if you sit boardside like a dumb [edited] you get absolutely annihilated 

this game is going down trying to appeal to all the BB shitters

I agree, restoring the vulnerable citadels would be an excellent buff overall. However, can you imagine how many players will rage if their GK can easily be citted, or their Lion suddenly getting 1-shot?

In your case, I think you're selectively remembering only cases where the BB was broadside and didn't get punished. A BB that ignores a broadside target is generally A) tunnel visioned or B) dodging torps or C) noob.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,394 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Would not say immune. Just hard to cit. I landed two cits on RN BB the last few days. And one was a guy that matches to OP description. He stopped broadside with his Lion like he is immortal, just moving a bit forward and backward. Guess he learned that he cannot heal all the citadel damage.

Well I'll put it to you like this. If I see a Yamato broadside, or at the right angle, under 15km of a battleship I am in, the question isn't "Will I get a cit hit?" The question is, "Will I get enough cit hits to one shot kill this guy?" High tier USN BBs got their citadels lowered, but the question with them when broadside is still, "Will I get a cit hit?" On a German battleship, or a British battleship, the question is, "If I cit hit this guy, does that mean I'll win the powerball tomorrow?" Calling it just hard is a massive understatement. I would go more with it being completely dependent on luck, even with the scenario being 100% ideal.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,523 posts

Jeez- punished...  Are we in kindergarten again??

By that line of thinking, why do my 16" guns get nothing but overpens vs broadsiding cruisers?  Shouldn't THEY be "punished" for the horrible crime of not sailing carefully enough?

I know I have no trouble "collecting" citadel hits when I have to turn and someone is paying more attention than I'd like...  For that matter, I still get plenty of citadel hits when shooting at the sides, and even bows of other battleships.  Heck- I shot a Brit BB in the a$$ the other day, and got a citadel.

I have to agree with YamatoA150:  The high tier RN BB's have enough advantages, they don't need impossible to hit citadels, too.  They Remind me of the freaking Germans- you only get to citadel them by lucky shots when you aren't trying for it.  Usually by dropping shells on their deck armor- or shooting them in the butt.  Shoot at the "usual places" and all you get are shatters, bounces and 0 damage hits.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,984 battles
43 minutes ago, behindurback said:

no amount of armor should allow a player to be completely brain dead and sit still boardside and not get punished, that is terrible game design, you still would have to try to angle to tank dmg

Oh I'm so sowwy you cant dev strike a montana or iowa with ease anymore you have to aim. Piss off.

• Cool 1

Members
1,275 posts
737 battles

Sadly despite the poster's rather dubious reputation, he might be spot on for the Lion, which I just tested against with my Alabama in the training room. Aiming at the waterline, I was completely unable to land a single citadel on any broadside Lion out from 1.9 km out to 14.9 km. That particular Lion at 14.9 km was hit 36 times. Not only that, by the time the Lion reached to around 15-20k health, the casemate section was so saturated that each salvo routinely only did about 3-4k damage. By comparison, I tested the Iowa and Montana as well, and citadels were consistent from 1.2 km (I quad cit the Iowa from this distance) out to 12+ km.

If the Alabama, with some of the steepest diving shells are having this much trouble citadeling RN BBs, then you can imagine just how other guns fare. The notion that the lowered citadel of the Iowa and Montana is remotely comparable to the RN citadels is just laughable.

27 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

The only BBs that are likely to suffer a 50k broadside from straight carelessness are IJN BBs, as they're the only class that retain their more or less historically above water citadel. Every other class either has turtleback (KM BBs) or lowered citadels (RN BBs even though they should have above-water citadels like IJN BBs, and USN BBs) to their benefit.

Of course, aiming and shell angle also counts towards granting those 50k broadside cits, and as far as KM BBs go; just aim higher, they take plenty of regular pen damage through the deck/superstructure at medium-long ranges.

If I had just one complaint though, it's that RN BBs should get their raised citadels, from KGV onwards at least. They already have Super and Hyper Repair Party and better rudder shift to their advantage (besides cruiser-level concealment and high level HE performance).

I'm also of the opinion that Iowa/Missouri/Montana didn't need their citadels lowered, but now that's done, it's much easier to push for an Izumo buff since they can't claim that Iowa has a built-in weakness anymore.

IJN BBs except for Yamato have waterline citadels, and usually have a layer of turtleback armor, though not at autobounce angles like for the Germans. They're generally no easier to citadel than American BBs, and both are easier to citadel than German and British BBs. The only BBs that I found to suffer 50k broadside easily is Yamato and Mutsu (which seems to lack the armor updates of the Nagato due to her earlier configuration), and high tier American BBs even with lowered citadel routinely suffer from 30k if caught broadside.

The Izumo's weakness was never against other BBs, which it's just as, if not more tanky against because of the turtleback armor and waterline citadel. (which makes no sense because as a 1930s design it shouldn't have it anyways), it was against HE because of the 32 mm deck.

Edited by DeliciousFart

[WOLFB]
Members
2,058 posts
9,472 battles

Except IJN BB, all high tier BB are like immune to cit now : Iowa and Montana have their cit lowered, GK have turtle back armor and British BB have their cit deep under the waterline. Miss the day when my Nagato was able to punish stupid Iowa really hard but oh well, at least I can still full pen .

Even if you don't deal this massive cit damage, 15-20k per volley still really powerfull