Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Nagato's Desperation

16 comments in this topic

Members
296 posts
5,255 battles

I used to be a decent player with this ship, but now is driving me to frustration. I got a lot of damage easily, almost every HE from a cruiser/destroyer causes fire and an unfair amount of damage and with AP is even worse. And I can ensure you that is not my fault because I am not angled and I am giving broadside. As an example, I was fully angled, fleeing and placed just in front (0º in respect of the battleship that was firing at me) and I got 14000 HP damage! why? I don't understand why... Every time I have fire, that is very common in this ship, I lose 1/4 of my HP if not 1/3. How to play Nagato right now? Sniper? Camper?

I see that most players have german and british battleships. I am thinking about selling my japanese battleships and starting british battleships line that seem to be the new meta, I am not able to citadel any british battleship but Warspite, they are invincible.

Edited by Avrova1904

[PAT]
Members
1,641 posts
3,442 battles

amagi is better, not because of more guns or less HE damage, but because it cannot be overmatched to 380 or 400-459 mm guns, your nagato, scharnhorst, gneisanau, and colorado can, and I think the tier 7 brit can as well, regardless of which BB line you go up, T-7 BBs will take massive HE damage.

[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles

Fuso is really the only IJN BB I have liked. I find Nagato to be very frustrating. It is a fire magnet as you say and so easily damaged it isn't funny. I also find the guns to vastly underperform when compared to all the hype given the ship here on the forums. I just got Amagi and it seems to be more of the same with somewhat better armor.

I quit IJN BB @ Myogi. Kawachi and Myogi were so painfully bad I couldn't take it anymore. I eventually went back though as I would like to get to Yamato. Kongo was okay and Fuso pretty good but Nagato is meh IMO. Only have a few games in Amagi but not thrilled/impressed so far. Amagi is fully upgraded too before anyone asks.

IJN BB just doesn't seem to suit me really. I greatly prefer USN and KM BB's. Even the BRN BB's through T5 are better for me. Once I research Izumo I will free XP to Yamato. Not playing that awful thing even once.

I feel your pain.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[RKLES]
Members
8,271 posts
10,504 battles

Catch a ship showing their broadside even at long range and Nagato's AP rounds will punish them greatly.

I struggled with a Nagato for a while as well until I learned just how she could be useful lol.

Beta Testers
1,479 posts

Nagato has very accurate guns (I find them more accurate than Amagi's)... and yes it gets penned easier than any other BB ..and yes, HE and fire mechanics is the bane of all BB's.

All I can tell you about the Nagato is to never be fully head-on nor angled so that the rear turret can fire at target...the sweet spot to angle the ship vs incoming fire is roughly 10 degrees towards the nose from the furthest point the rear guns can swing to aim forward. Angle the ship that way and you will bounce a lot of hits.

[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Catch a ship showing their broadside even at long range and Nagato's AP rounds will punish them greatly.

I struggled with a Nagato for a while as well until I learned just how she could be useful lol.

That is just the thing, for me it doesn't. Sure I have had games were it does and I kill a lot and do a lot of damage but usually I struggle to deal damage with it even when it hits. Just one of those ships for me that doesn't seem to work well?

[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
58 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Nagato has very accurate guns (I find them more accurate than Amagi's)... and yes it gets penned easier than any other BB ..and yes, HE and fire mechanics is the bane of all BB's.

All I can tell you about the Nagato is to never be fully head-on nor angled so that the rear turret can fire at target...the sweet spot to angle the ship vs incoming fire is roughly 10 degrees towards the nose from the furthest point the rear guns can swing to aim forward. Angle the ship that way and you will bounce a lot of hits.

I had to take the secondary build off it and go with aiming system to even get mediocre accuracy from it.

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles

Bow on its not good for t7 or lower BBs. The best is angle so the shells bounce at your belt. Its easy to cit a t7 BB through the bow. 

Nagato is best played at ranges, you dont have the armor to get close. But you have the guns and speed to play from the back line. 

IMO Nagato is the best t7 BB and one of the best BBs in the game. Those guns are amazing, they can melt anything.

[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
4 hours ago, Xlap said:

Bow on its not good for t7 or lower BBs. The best is angle so the shells bounce at your belt. Its easy to cit a t7 BB through the bow. 

Nagato is best played at ranges, you dont have the armor to get close. But you have the guns and speed to play from the back line. 

IMO Nagato is the best t7 BB and one of the best BBs in the game. Those guns are amazing, they can melt anything.

I wish they worked as well for me as they do you guys.

Beta Testers
1,479 posts

Rule of thumb with IJN BBs shooting at non-IJN BBs is :

1- Past 12km do not aim at the waterline. Aim midway between waterline and deckline. Remember, your shells arc ~12km out...but at that range the shells are still mostly horizontal so just aim a bit higher so they arc and land in the citadel @ waterline.

2- When firing at stuff past ~16km aim at just under the deckline. Again, your shell arcs have increased so now you want those shells hitting the upper deck armor nor hitting the thick side armor belt at a high angle.

3- When target is not fully or almost fully broadside, don't bother trying for citadel.. aim for the base of the superstructure and let them have it. You do higher and more consistent damage there..10k+ damage... than trying for citadel and watch most shells hit the water or do minimal pen damage on the thick side belt.

4- If target is too angled aim at their turrets.. I prefer to aim just above the gun barrels when at close range and just above the turret at long range (14km+). I've noticed that in those shots the hit will usually knock the gun out or penetrate the deck armor and do delicious damage.

For shooting IJN BBs:

Err.. go for citadel. Every time. It works. Every time. Except vs. Yamato.

Shooting Yamato only draws its attention at you. Then you die.  

[PVE]
Members
591 posts
5,166 battles

Definitely do not go straight at a BB as others have said. I have punished many many t7 and below BBs through their nose in my gneisenau. Also don't run straight away from BBs either as your aft is also weaker. Always be angled. 

If you can get all barrels on target then you are wrong. Wait for them to fire then turn just enough to fire your rear turrets while they are reloading then turn back.

[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, Skyfaller said:

1- Past 12km do not aim at the waterline. Aim midway between waterline and deckline. Remember, your shells arc ~12km out...but at that range the shells are still mostly horizontal so just aim a bit higher so they arc and land in the citadel @ waterline.

2- When firing at stuff past ~16km aim at just under the deckline. Again, your shell arcs have increased so now you want those shells hitting the upper deck armor nor hitting the thick side armor belt at a high angle.

3- When target is not fully or almost fully broadside, don't bother trying for citadel.. aim for the base of the superstructure and let them have it. You do higher and more consistent damage there..10k+ damage... than trying for citadel and watch most shells hit the water or do minimal pen damage on the thick side belt.

This has actually helped me with Amagi some. Guns still suck IMO but it is much better. Thanks.

Members
2 posts
446 battles

I have always found IJN guns to be vicious and accurate as all hell.  Nagato I usually play in a kiting stance.  Stern forward with about 20 degrees of belt showing to the enemy.  That way you can run away from too much HE spam and focus fire.  Generally isn't a great in close support ship.  Amagi is about the same.  But they are by far my favorites.

Members
28 posts
9,339 battles

I don't know if I like the Japaneses BBs  they seem to like me. They feel too easy. Fuso was like an average of 50k and about a 56% win rate. Nagato those numbers spiked 65K and 58% win rate now iv had the amagi for 3 days and the win rates nearly 70% dam is nearly average of 80k. 

I don't get that with to many bbs these are just simple and very limited so you can't screw them up. Their AA sucks so you don't spec it there secondaries are a joke you don't spec that either. So you end up with ships maxed out in damage control that are nearly impossible to kill. Your turret speeds a joke you can't brawl so you stay 10km or farther at all times and in doing so you play to the ships strengths. Are they as fun as fast American AA nightmares or German secondary nightmares of course not they feel kind of dull. But it sure helps your stats and I'm looking forward to yamato and 300k games.

Members
313 posts
2,525 battles
On 11/13/2017 at 10:15 PM, Matthew_Kelly said:

I don't know if I like the Japaneses BBs  they seem to like me. They feel too easy. Fuso was like an average of 50k and about a 56% win rate. Nagato those numbers spiked 65K and 58% win rate now iv had the amagi for 3 days and the win rates nearly 70% dam is nearly average of 80k. 

I don't get that with to many bbs these are just simple and very limited so you can't screw them up. Their AA sucks so you don't spec it there secondaries are a joke you don't spec that either. So you end up with ships maxed out in damage control that are nearly impossible to kill. Your turret speeds a joke you can't brawl so you stay 10km or farther at all times and in doing so you play to the ships strengths. Are they as fun as fast American AA nightmares or German secondary nightmares of course not they feel kind of dull. But it sure helps your stats and I'm looking forward to yamato and 300k games.

My general rule of thumb is if Im doing less damage than my max health in a match then Im clearly doing something wrong.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,795 battles
On 10/2/2017 at 11:00 AM, Xlap said:

I'm a Nagato fan and the grind to the Amagi was pretty easy. I remember one battle where I ended up battling a Colorado 1 vs 1 at close quarters for control of a cap. My superior speed, secondary guns and turret rotation destroyed him as we went round and round on the edges of the cap at equal health to start. Not a normal tactic in a Nagato but it worked out good in that match. LOL

Sign in to follow this