You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeathLord1969

For those with a i7 7700k....

11 comments in this topic

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,847 battles

What cooler are you using?

I am close to starting my new build, just need a cooler & RAM. Have not decided on air or water yet and if I go water, how do I cool the NB. I currently have a 120mm fan blowing on the NB as I am currently watercooled..

Thoughts? Ideas?

[G_LAG]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,656 battles

I just went with a Corsair 200i v2 or something like that... The rest of my case is all air cooled. 

I think I'm OC'd to 4.8-5GHz (I forget exactly what) and it does just fine. 

Honestly, unless you're gonna push some crazy OC setup, air is fine for everything as long as you have a good airflow setup. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits
  • Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,847 battles

The case I am going to use is a Phantom410 with dual intakes in front. The thing I dislike about air cooled is the bulkiness of it.

While I do have a water cooled system now, the block is a D-Tek Fuzion which is apparently not good for aqnything but a socket 775 which I have yet to understand.

Same surface coverage should work....

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles

Any of those AIW closed loop water coolers will work just fine.

H115i is pretty good.

[SYN]
Members
14,847 posts
11,306 battles

Well then get a noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15S

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
196 posts

The Corsair in my wife's PC leaked and cost us a  R9 FuryX.  Threw the spare Corsair I had in the garbage and switched her over to an Antec/Kuhler. 

I use a large NZXT in my gamer.  I run the biggest cpu cooling system that will fit in my Corsair Obsidian 800D case so it never struggles when gaming and keeps it QUIET.

GPU is a Vega 64 Liquid and runs quiet.

Mounting hole dimensions and overall height above motherboard necessitate different mounting hardware for varying cpu's and sockets.

Members
568 posts
4,372 battles

Water is the way to go, but it's a pain.  Still, if you want those serious OC's, then water is the best.  Air works for almost any OC that isn't pushing the red.  So...if you go air, Noctua is by far the best.  They are quiet. They don't break down.  And, they cool like a champ.  In fact, one should look into replacing all stock fans with Noctua's.  Noctua fans and coolers are relatively inexpensive for what you get in return.            

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,847 battles
21 minutes ago, Dadrox said:

Mounting hole dimensions and overall height above motherboard necessitate different mounting hardware for varying cpu's and sockets.

So the only difference between water blocks is the mounting holes?

13 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Water is the way to go, but it's a pain.  Still, if you want those serious OC's, then water is the best.  Air works for almost any OC that isn't pushing the red.  So...if you go air, Noctua is by far the best.  They are quiet. They don't break down.  And, they cool like a champ.  In fact, one should look into replacing all stock fans with Noctua's.  Noctua fans and coolers are relatively inexpensive for what you get in return.            

I like water as well, my current system is 10+ years old. (Swiftech) It's also a cleaner look in the case. The Noctuas are fugly IMHO. brown doesn't go well with white/black.

Members
568 posts
4,372 battles
41 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

I like water as well, my current system is 10+ years old. (Swiftech) It's also a cleaner look in the case. The Noctuas are fugly IMHO. brown doesn't go well with white/black.

If you are used to water, stay with it. Just don't go cheap. As for Noctua, yes...ugly as sin. They do have two lines that aren't brown, but the top line is that awful brown/tan look. The good news is that it's so effective and quiet that you'll have no reason to ever look at it. I run two rigs: one Alienware water, one full air Noctua's across the board. Ironically, cpu's have become so fast and efficient that extreme overclocking is really more of a sport than a need.

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,847 battles
1 minute ago, Uber_Ghost said:

If you are used to water, stay with it. Just don't go cheap. As for Noctua, yes...ugly as sin. They do have two lines that aren't brown, but the top line is that awful brown/tan look. The good news is that it's so effective and quiet that you'll have no reason to ever look at it. I run two rigs: one Alienware water, one full air Noctua's across the board. Ironically, cpu's have become so fast and efficient that extreme overclocking is really more of a sport than a need.

I currently have a dual fan Swiftech rad with a Swiftech res. The water block is a D-Tek Fuzion. Temps are low 30s cel. Cost around $300CAD back then.