You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RiverBend__

Karma Reset

29 comments in this topic

[NAWRL]
Members
17 posts
12,009 battles

Hi All,

New to the forum.  I finally noticed Karma the other day and I am wondering if it ever resets like weekly, monthly, etc...?  Thanks

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

:Smile_great:

It's your permanent karma. But it doesn't do anything other than how many compliments/reports you have per day.

[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts

I'd just ignore it as it's just a number and is easily abused. I can't even begin to recall how many times I've lost karma because someone was annoyed that I "stole" their kill or came in higher than them in the game when they thought they should be at the top, etc. Also, you might play a hundred games and end up the top XP earner every time yet never receive a positive karma point.

That said, if someone is being especially abusive to both his/her team and everyone else in the game the reporting system does work. I've seen a player immediately turn pink when everyone else in the game reported him for abusive behavior in chat.

[CUTER]
Members
3,826 posts
16,875 battles

I am top tier 90% of the time, has something to do with my good  karma I kid you not. Thanks, karma points!

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
25 minutes ago, m373x said:

I am top tier 90% of the time, has something to do with my good  karma I kid you not. Thanks, karma points!

WpptdTQ.png

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, IronMike11B4O said:

They are giving out free flags or camo now every 90 days so yeah it does mean something now

Wait, what? Is there a link?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,595 posts
20,174 battles

Useless stat that only makes you salty. Being top player by a good margin in a winning team could lose you karma since no one in your team knows that you can give a plays well but the guy from the other team that got deleted by you with one salvo downvotes you... the only thing you get ftom higher karma is more up/downvotes per day.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,273 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

Wait, what? Is there a link?

There should be a link somewhere on here. I got a bunch of camo about a month or so ago for having good karma over the previous 90 days. As it stands mine is at 180 ATM.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,595 posts
20,174 battles
2 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

They are giving out free flags or camo now every 90 days so yeah it does mean something now

Nope they are given to all players that didn’t got any ingame ban from WG. 

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
32 minutes ago, m373x said:

No wonder I'm bottom tier all the time. All these buggers with high karma are giving me the shaft.

[CUTER]
Members
3,826 posts
16,875 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Nope they are given to all players that didn’t got any ingame ban from WG. 

Or a forum ban

[WOLF7]
Members
10,786 posts
8 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

One has nothing to do with the other.

The good behavior rewards are based on not getting a strike during the three month period.

Karma has absolutely no effect.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,217 posts
13,845 battles

This is the karma equation:

Karma = TY - FU

Personally, I give out a lot more TY than FU.

• Cool 2

[STW-D]
Supertester
1,651 posts
5,542 battles

This karma thing comes up as a Regular Forum Post(tm).  It breaks down like this.

If you give people a reason to think you're a jerk, they're probably going to report you.

If you're helpful, kind, or awesome, there is a chance they'll compliment you.

If you exist and someone is having a bad day, they might report you anyway for no reason other than they're being a jerk.

The net result is that option 1 is the most easily controlled - don't be a jerk to mitigate down karmas. Option 2 is the best kind, consistently be good and you'll get compliments probably at about a 1/10th the rate you think you should, but perhaps that's just observational bias.  It's really up to other people what they think is good and not you, so don't sweat it.  This isn't kindergarten; not everything has to be fair.  In fact it's the internet and fairness is a silly assumption.  Option 3 is complained about visibly, but happens by far the least often.  To those who say it happens all the time, i suggest there is an element of #1 in there as well.  Complain if you want to and plead your innocence, but while i acknowledge random downvotes happen, they happen very rarely, and are almost always instead a case of the world telling you you're being a jerk.

The only thing about karma you really can control is the ones you give out.  I give out a ton of +1s, and very few -1s.  I also try to behave like a human being, even when people in game are behaving like knuckleheaded trolls.  When that happens, i do not sink to their level, i just ignore it or send them a happy -1 present.  Responding in kind to idiocy is a sure way to increase you -1 rate.  In real life, that's a good lesson too - be better than the trolls you meet.  

On the whole, i'm neither popular, known, or recognizable in game, but i've made it up to about 100 karma i think.  I like to think that is because i've been helpful far more than i've been a twit, and random downvotes if they happen, are just statistical noise and have no real bearing on my overall total.  

Enjoy the game and be a good person, and people will recognize it.

• Cool 4

[RTR]
Beta Testers
306 posts
1,761 battles
3 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

So how many of us give out our allotment of compliments in a day?

Never. Usually 0-5. No negatives, just blacklist.

I always save a few because I'm never sure there won't be that one person who is just a perfect asset... or Garbad shows up!

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,757 battles

I don't have a link to share, but I do believe that positive karma plays some part in the number of compliments or reports you can make each day. Nothing else to add that has not already been said.

Respects,

Am

Beta Testers
1,152 posts
14,526 battles
3 hours ago, m373x said:

Playing lots of tier 9 and 10 huh?

[-BRS-]
Members
985 posts
29,238 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I have 11 of both and I always make it a point to run out of the complements and have a few reports left over.

45 minutes ago, Amracil said:

I don't have a link to share, but I do believe that positive karma plays some part in the number of compliments or reports you can make each day. Nothing else to add that has not already been said.

Respects,

Am

I think I have 11 of both because of how many battles I have played.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,795 posts
2,493 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Not me. Don't actually play enough to do it. But I usually had out compliments for constructive chat (don't laugh, I've seen it happen), and excellent game play (a DD who smokes me almost always gets one), and a great carry definitely deserves one. Reports I save for really irritating things. The guy who spams chat with useless and insulting comments the entire match. A TKer, or someone who tries to throw the match. Or someone who is so clueless, they're more a menace to their own team than the enemy. AFK I only report in ranked, you mean too much to be AFK there. AFK in random, eh, life happens sometimes.

I did turn pink for the first time, kind of my fault. RN BB shot my St. Louis right at the beginning, lit me on fire. Had to be intentional, or he was really clueless. I fired a salvo back, lit him on fire, and we both went on with the battle with no further issues. But he let the fire burn, so I supported breast cancer awareness for a few games. We'll see if I still get those good behavior camoes, hope so, they are really nice for commander training.