Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Help a DD noob out with commander skills

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,204 posts

So I'm a battleship main who has recently started enjoying cruisers.

I also have a Sims and Gremy that have sat pretty much unplayed since closed beta.  After getting torn up by a Sims in game, I thought I'd give mine a try.  Sure enough I did pretty well.  Ranked second on my team and killed an enemy DD and a Tirpitz pretty much solo.  I played it with my Baltimore captain, but now want to actually make a dedicated DD captain.  Soooo. . .

What skills would you recommend for a Sims captain?  IHFE worth it on Sims?  What else?

Thanks for your help!

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,966 battles

You can use Elite exp to get some essential skills like Last Stand.

Other wise, stand back spam HE, wait till later in the match to get closer to torp.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles

For Sims I would suggest, PT, LS, SI, and CE as the base skills. Then I'd personally build up the guns with BFT and perhaps DE, and then, with the last three, get AR and PM.

That is my suggestion.

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

[-K-]
Beta Testers
189 posts
4,025 battles

1. PT, PM or both

2. LS (must have imo), AR or both

3. BFT, TAE, SE, SI or DE ( these are up to personal preference, i have BFT, TAE and SE as its my Fletcher captain)

4. CE

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
317 posts
5,661 battles

I have a captain build like this for my American dds. Spawned mostly from sims and focuses on AA... Why? American dds have the best aa of all dds, but a mostly because a good cv player will keep you spotted and focused to death.  This is a problem for all dd players. Plus those skills like aft and bft help your guns with rate of fire and range. So my current build:

Priority Target 1pt

Last Stand 2pt

Demolition Expert 3pt

Basic Firing Training 3pt

Concealment Expert 4pt

Adv Firing Training 4pt

i haven't quite figured out what to do with my last 2. It's either going to be torpedo acceleration or adrenaline rush. 

The one thing I always fight is weather to mount those slow [edited]longer ranged torps or the faster ones. I have had better luck with the shorter ranged torps, but you need to work around islands and use them when someone is rushing your smoke.

With d AA mounted on the sims you can actually do a pretty decent job of shooting down even or lower tiered enemy planes. With the correct captain skills and upgrades mounted you can push the aa rating around or above 50.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,625 battles

I use this build for my Sims (and Fletcher and Gearing). It works well. I do like to knife fight though so I have Survivability Expert. Replace it with Superintendent would be my suggestion if you prefer.

59d0fdeda7a61_USDD.PNG.7f50ffe68c836047620b1e0e7aba0d13.PNG

I don't have Gremy (very jealous) but I use this for Leningrad which seems to play very similarly. I use the guns alot and haven't been too troubled by the loss of stealth firing. This is my interpretation of a long-range gun build. You might consider Priority Target vice Preventive Maintenance. I just know that when I shoot anyone who can shoots back at me. WASD is my friend!

59d0febbd70f3_RussianDD.PNG.b5c7f615e9833e52e236cedbb371d01c.PNG

Good luck with your choices!

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I've played 42% of my matches in DDs - and enjoy them very much.

I have all the lines to T9 or 10, and have favored Skipper specs for each line.  Everyone\s mileage varies on the best skill builds - but I've found these to work pretty well.

There are exceptions, though - my 19pt USN skipper is currently commanding Fletcher, as I prefer that ship to Gearing.  When he did sail on Gearing, I preferred him to have the TA skill, which I don't like on Fletcher.  Same with the KM DDs - I like AFT on my Z46 - but its not advantageous on the Z23, if you choose the 150mm guns (and you should!).

The IJN alternative line ends with Akizuki - which works well with IFHE, but is a wasted 4 points if you plan to use the skipper in the lower tier premiums (like Shino or Fujin/Kami).  

Anyway - enough preamble - these are the skill builds I like for the various lines.

Fletcher

Gearing

VMF DDs

IJN Torp DDs

Akizuki

KM DDs

I hope you find some of that helpful - and remember that there are plenty of ways to skin those cats - you just need to decide which way fits best with the way you play your boats.

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

Last Stand(2pt) and Concealment Expert(4pt) are pretty much mandatory for all DDs. 

Preventive Maintenance(1pt) is a more-or-less standard place to start. 

Basic Firing Training(3pt) will make DD main guns work better. Superintendent(3pt) will give you the extra smoke and speed boost. Choose for your style.

That covers the first 10-13 points. If you have a 19 pointer, then the options open up. I would recommend the above choices in total along with Expert Marksman(2pt), and Advanced Firing Training(4pt) to get a maxxed USN DD captain.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

I've tended to take PT initially on destroyers for anything that is going to do a lot of open-water gunboating - so Russians (at least in the main line), Blys, maybe Anshan - with the reasoning that, when I see the PT number tick up too high, I know it might be time to go dark.  Everything else, where my goal is generally not to be shooting at capital ships in open water except under fairly defined circumstances, gets PM first.

Members
1,081 posts
3,570 battles

1. You want to be as concealable as possible. 2. You want rounds out as fast as possible. 3. You want to be as survivable as possible. In that order. Concealment and Last Stand are mandatory. Dont waste skills on IFHE or range. Shes a brawler/capper with floaty arcs. Also excels at weak flank harassment with the slow torps. Slows down the advancing Reds, makes them maneuver. Take the acceleration upgrade instead of faster rudder shift. 

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
284 posts
11,788 battles
4 hours ago, Khafni said:

I use this build for my Sims (and Fletcher and Gearing). It works well. I do like to knife fight though so I have Survivability Expert. Replace it with Superintendent would be my suggestion if you prefer.

59d0fdeda7a61_USDD.PNG.7f50ffe68c836047620b1e0e7aba0d13.PNG

I don't have Gremy (very jealous) but I use this for Leningrad which seems to play very similarly. I use the guns alot and haven't been too troubled by the loss of stealth firing. This is my interpretation of a long-range gun build. You might consider Priority Target vice Preventive Maintenance. I just know that when I shoot anyone who can shoots back at me. WASD is my friend!

59d0febbd70f3_RussianDD.PNG.b5c7f615e9833e52e236cedbb371d01c.PNG

Good luck with your choices!

Follow what he said..a pro dd captain:cap_old:

Sign in to follow this