Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GE_Capital

GZ test with torpedo bombers

6 comments in this topic

Members
692 posts
8,180 battles

nope, no one... but id seen someone who has it in-game though

[-AOA-]
Beta Testers
719 posts
6,502 battles

When WG started 2nd testing? I just done with a match yesterday both allied & enemy team GZ test with torp bombers

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,701 battles

I have mine.  Much improved as far as damage ability. ie you can reliably hit something.  Comparatively how good we'll see.  My impressions.

Battle vs Shokaku 2-2-2

We lost, but I was top score and did 165,814 damage, 2 ships sank 17 planes shot down.  Opposing carrier was also top score, 3 ships sank, 26 planes shot down (he got a few extra TBs in my attack run on him).

Fighters were roughly par, I lost slightly on this by 3 planes or so, mostly due to the ridiculous strafe & strafe out of combat mechanics.  Fighters on this *may* be about right but still are weaker and slower thus ultimately inferior to a same tier CV like Shokaku or Lexington.  That was one of the limiting factors in trying to engage his fighters, only when he wanted to as I couldn't catch his and mine couldn't escape.

The torpedo bombers did very well, as you'd expect with 3 squadrons of them.  Now first since there wasn't any extra articial delay, you could actually make an attack and have it land as intended minus the target's countermeasures (turns, speed change, AA boost etc).

I first tried an alpha strike on the Shokaku, I managed to sucker punch him tying the fighters up mid map so I had an unmolested run on the carrier, landed 7 torps thru his AA for just over 50k damage - he survived with about 1000 health (had I waited on 2nd & 3rd squadrons I'd have probably got him with extra flooding damage).  I got another triple run on an Amagi, it succumbed to flooding afterward for about 65,500 damage from 7 torps, 23k in flooding (he repaired after first hit, so other two squadrons created unstoppable flood), the first squadron had to go thru an AA gauntlet.  Later I got a series of attack on a Bayern for just over 50k from 6 hits that sank him.

Overall satisfying performance, probably frustrating to the players hit but that's 3 TB squadrons for you, any CV with 3 TB squadrons is going to wreck BBs (Taiho, Hakuryu).  The damage was on par with other T8 carriers in games where I was able to land attacks and not get shredded by AA etc.  That part was mainly a failing of the other team to cover with cruisers adequately (only 3) and being able to keep the other fighters busy for the most part (lost two squadrons to fighters).  It was a Teir 8 battle so there wasn't any Hand of God AA running around decimating squadrons from 10km distance behind a mountain.

I did not try the torp bombers against a DD yet, if these are "deep running" torps I'd expect a miss.

Edited by Saxxonknight

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,701 battles

2nd Game vs another GZ I

Our side lost again, mostly from bad tactic that almost entire team went one way and ceded 2 zones to the other side early on.

Other CV player wasn't quite as experienced as in the fighter battle I beat him up badly 33 to 10 aircraft shot down.  I did lose more of my TBs to AA but posted more damage than he did I'm fairly sure as I had almost as much XP from the losing side as he did for the win.

I posted 105,752 damage and 2 sunk with 16 torpedo hits.  There were 4 Cruisers on other side this time and they covered better.  Early on I took down a North Carolina with almost 52k damage from 8 hits, that in itself is an accomplishment since the AA on those usually shreds TBs, usually harder with IJN TBs, I think the extra plane in the squadron makes a good difference.  After that it was mostly slogging thru the cruisers so I wound up hitting them and sacrificing some planes.  Took out a Pensacola at cost of 2 squadrons (took a 4th run to finish him with 4 total hits and some battle damage from ships).

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,701 battles

3rd battle was Teir 9, the AA difference showed significantly, 4 cruisers again.  Limited to 40k damage losing most of my TBs to a Bismarck and Iowa though at least the Bismarck finally sank.  Other CV was a Lexington with 1-1-1 who was a non-factor, his planes couldn't get close to our ships and with 10 vs 6 fighters I managed to keep him suppressed.  Saw someone else with a boast about toasting a T9 BB, sure you can catch one alone you may get in a good strike.  If they player doesn't suck though you won't catch them alone, and you'll lose plenty of aircraft for the hits.  Iowa on its own annihilated 15 TBs without a single one getting off a torpedo, I'm sure he had his at 100 AA rating.

Sign in to follow this