You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Can I have my torps that go through islands just like broken radar?

15 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles

Thanks for the game launcher, and the deep water torps, and RDF, and all the other things we got that nobody asked for or needed, but which you invested valuable dev time in fixing, instead of fixing one thing that almost everyone agrees is broken and stupid: radar and sonar through islands.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 6

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
7 minutes ago, _V12 said:

It's been how long and you still haven't become accustomed to radar...?

IMG_4809.JPG.42e529cc555da32ff1621f01a0d0332f.JPG

It's been how long, and you're still writing meaningless non sequitors?

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,794 posts
6,163 battles
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's been how long, and you're still writing meaningless non sequitors?

Seems pretty on topic to me.  You refuse to adapt.  And I'll give no sympathy on that front to someone who wants to remove entire classes from the game.  Your opinion is worth less than forum trolls'.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles

It's been explained time and time again on why this can't be changed even though I wish it was changed.

The Engine is limited in this regard. Radar and Sonar increase Acquired Acquisition. Acquired Acquisition reveals regardless of potential obstructions. Due to how smoke is designed, it's a cylindrical transparent object that has no collision detection with a sprite animation to show smoke. The game registers a vehicle as unable to be seen as if you were looking at an island. When Radar and Sonar are activated, it removes that "object" as a LoS rule allowing it to see you.

The Bigworld Engine had this limitation forever and it's one of the main reasons why spotting mechanics near buildings on WoT can get wonky at times. The only way they can get around this limitation is to code the game in an entirely new engine that allows particle obstruction (aka the engine can read the particle cloud as a LoS rule).

Now can the engine have this added to it? Yes, but here is the part you fail to understand since you're not a programmer. Not all Developers as you know them are DevOps Engineers. Actually, only about 2-3 guys out of the entire group have the skills to write that kind of code. They also are the ones that write the networking code for client to server operations. You know, all that packet development data. So no, they are not wasting valuable dev time as those very specialized individuals most likely have a ticket queue and flow sheet of work for the next year+ and usually due to how hard it is to get people with the skill set in that field are most likely already over worked.

-Signed, an actual Developer who has worked with Gaming Companies as a 3d Artist and Technical Artist.

• Cool 3

Members
1,081 posts
3,570 battles
1 hour ago, Azumazi said:

It's been explained time and time again on why this can't be changed even though I wish it was changed.

The Engine is limited in this regard. Radar and Sonar increase Acquired Acquisition. Acquired Acquisition reveals regardless of potential obstructions. Due to how smoke is designed, it's a cylindrical transparent object that has no collision detection with a sprite animation to show smoke. The game registers a vehicle as unable to be seen as if you were looking at an island. When Radar and Sonar are activated, it removes that "object" as a LoS rule allowing it to see you.

The Bigworld Engine had this limitation forever and it's one of the main reasons why spotting mechanics near buildings on WoT can get wonky at times. The only way they can get around this limitation is to code the game in an entirely new engine that allows particle obstruction (aka the engine can read the particle cloud as a LoS rule).

Now can the engine have this added to it? Yes, but here is the part you fail to understand since you're not a programmer. Not all Developers as you know them are DevOps Engineers. Actually, only about 2-3 guys out of the entire group have the skills to write that kind of code. They also are the ones that write the networking code for client to server operations. You know, all that packet development data. So no, they are not wasting valuable dev time as those very specialized individuals most likely have a ticket queue and flow sheet of work for the next year+ and usually due to how hard it is to get people with the skill set in that field are most likely already over worked.

-Signed, an actual Developer who has worked with Gaming Companies as a 3d Artist and Technical Artist.

It has been explained time and again by other players, not WG. Ive asked them twice if it is true that it is a game engine limitation, they have yet to answer. I even posted a thread asking if anyone had quotes of anyone from WG saying this. There were none. Ive asked this question for the second time in Q and A, we will see if they answer this time.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,529 posts

HEY!!  You leave my radar alone!

How else to spot those island hiders for my allies to blow up?  Or to ruin the day of that IJN DD who thought he was sneaky enough?

My New Orleans likes his radar just the way it is, thankyouverymuch.  Lord knows he doesn't have many other tricks up his sleeve...

Members
24 posts
8,696 battles

Hi,

Radar could do with fixing if possible. I can play against one radar ship no worries but when you get 3 or 4 ships with radar on each team it's just crazy. Doesn't matter where you are on the map or what islands are in the way, you are seen by everyone.

what I don't get is that you can pop smoke and sit in it and someone uses radar and you are seen and the shots fired at you can hit you (that's fine). Works as it should. Now I am sat behind an island and someone pops radar, I can be seen, but shells or torps can't go through the island, so why can the radar?

if someone spots me and I am detected their whole fleet sees me but if I sail behind an island they loose that detection. Radar should not be able to counter sailing behind an island and keep detection for the whole enemy fleet to keep detection on you.

The idea of radar in game is good but as it stands it needs some sort of fix. If they can't fix radar through islands then maybe adjust it, a couple of ideas spring to mind.

1. Reduce the range of radar on all ships that have it to 9km

2. Only allow ships that are in the radar circle see the enemy ships detected

3. Only the ship that pops radar can see the detected ships

be interesting to see any other ideas

happy sailing

[JASH]
Members
3,602 posts
9,145 battles

There are few locations where shells fire clean through the sides of mountains and straight through a build, on at least one map (Sea of Fortune). Good enough for you? 

[LEGO]
Members
145 posts
4,073 battles
5 hours ago, Azumazi said:

Right,

so they implemented radar in an engine that cannot handle it.

That's a bad decision by management in order to push out more ships (aka money). 

I think it's totally and completely fair to call them on it, and continue to call them on it until they address it.

Edited by riverslq
  • Cool 1