Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

How many of you have managed to citadel the new RNBBs?

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,225
[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles

Just wondering how much success everyone else has in landing citadel hits against RNBBs.

 

I know they take a bunch of penetration hits regardless of angle, but citadels seem elusive.

 

If you have, do provide details

  • Ship you were using
  • Ship you shot at
  • Their angle, estimated (0° being perfectly bow on, 90° being completely broadside)
  • Range
Edited by MrDeaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,394
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,818 posts
10,508 battles

Orion by an Ishizuchi firing AP.  Got 'that' sound twice.

I was grounded by the entrance side (Domination center cap of Solomons) at about 10-15 degrees from full broadside angle -- Zucchini was grounded out on their side on the center island - on the left middle.

It was a shoot-out and I was spamming HE.  9 pt captain with Demo and superintendent -- I won with the extra heal.

Estimated distance?  I'd guess 6KM.

BTW -- the enemy Ishizuchi was on the OTHER (NE) corner of that island -- not where the surviving ship trace is.  The other was a Kaiser.  When I was citadeled, I was nose-in to the Kaiser.

 

 

Sept_28_17_Orion_E.jpg

Sept_28_17_Orion_C.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
785 posts
6,796 battles

In my Montana, there was a Conqueror that beached himself and was broadside to me around 16-17km away. A full salvo into his broadside only scored one citadel.

 

In another Montana game, there was a Conqueror showing broadside to me and being a straight line warrior. With three consecutive volleys into his broadside, I only managed to score one citadel. He was around 17-18km away. You basically have to hit their broadsides from medium to long range if you want to have any chance of hitting their submarine citadels. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
961
[PLPT]
Members
4,428 posts
6,170 battles

I've citadeled an Iron Duke through the bow in my own Duke. Fun fact, Iron Duke can overmatch itself. Not many people know that, because everyone spams HE with it.

Edited by SergeantHop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[OPG]
Members
4,221 posts
6,047 battles

I had a Yamato citadel my mostly broadside Conquerer at a range of 20km.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,225
[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles
Just now, yashma said:

I had a Yamato citadel my mostly broadside Conquerer at a range of 20km.  

It could just be a bunch of penetration hits, which has the same sound effects as getting citadelled.

only way to tell for certain is the amount of HP you could repair after that hit, or seeing it from the opposite end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
176
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,250 posts
4,763 battles

I citideled a Iron Duke with a Southern Dragon broadside on.  90%, 8-10 km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,545
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,626 posts
3,724 battles

Citadeled a Conqueror once at about 17km out from my Yamato; they were attempting to evade a focused assault by my teammates and was in the process of a hard turn to try and evade them. It was probably lucky timing, as I just guesstimated their turn and fired at where I thought they'd end up, and lo and behold, they took a solid double-cit and sank. 2x Citadel ribbons.

 

Managed to cit a KGV at nearly 20km with Nagato; to be fair, it was just camping and spamming HE at their maximum range, and I happened to have an ideal target; it was broadside to me while lit up. I chuck that one up to being another lucky shot, since I was expecting to miss. The main thing was just trying to force it to leave the spot it was camping.

 

Haven't actually had any luck citadeling the lower tier RNBBs while playing Kongou, but I assume that's mainly more to me needing to learn where to aim on them (maybe slightly below waterline instead of at waterline at a range of 14km or more?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[OPG]
Members
4,221 posts
6,047 battles
16 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It could just be a bunch of penetration hits, which has the same sound effects as getting citadelled.

only way to tell for certain is the amount of HP you could repair after that hit, or seeing it from the opposite end.

I wasn't paying too much attention to it, but at the bottom of my screen I saw some notification pop up about "citadel damage" and the amount of HP I could heal back was pretty small, well small for a Conquerer at least, so I just assumed I was citadeled.  Although it's entirely possible I was mistaken.  

 

I have never paid attention to the text messages that pop up, so I suppose it's entirely possible that in the midst of taking massive damage from a Yamato that popped up on my flank while I was trying to angle against a pair of Kurfursts, I just misread/misinterpreted the message.  

Edited by yashma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,197
[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

Just wondering how much success everyone else has in landing citadel hits against RNBBs.

 

I know they take a bunch of penetration hits regardless of angle, but citadels seem elusive.

 

If you have, do provide details

  • Ship you were using
  • Ship you shot at
  • Their angle, estimated (0° being perfectly bow on, 90° being completely broadside)
  • Range

(My ship vs Their ship)

Bellerophon vs Bellerophon,

roughly broadside, slightly tilted in at around 15-20 degrees.

Range of 11.2km

We citadeled each other, one each. I had 5 impacts, he had 4. We caught each other while dodging enemy torpedos which ended up having us both broadside.

 

Orion vs Bellerophon

45 Degree angle of ship retreating

Range 14.6km

Citadel x 2, 5 shells landed on target

 

Fuso vs Iron Duke

30 degree angle from broadside

Range 15-16km

Citadel, and 6 impacts

 

That's all I got so far, I haven't had much luck at all up close due to the angle of their turtleback near the belt line, pretty much have to use plunging fire into the upper belt and have it hit the deck from what I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,424 posts
3,718 battles

I demolished one with my molotov and ap rounds.

The british bb was broadside to me and my shells penetrated easily.

Range was approx 50 feet spitting distance as usual with me maybe less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,323
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,269 posts
15,775 battles

Tier VII, IX, X - Very hard to citadel them, but they eat penetrations, so in a weird way, I treat them the same way as German BBs.  KGV has poor armor outside its belt, really, Cruisers should focus hard on KGV because they should be bagging easy penetrations.  It's extremely hard to citadel KGV but she eats lots of pens.  Nelson eats citadels like its cool.  For Lion and Conqueror, treat them as any other, AP for the right times.  The crucial thing is keep them spotted so that they cannot slink away and hide, and repair at their leisure with those powerful repairs.  A DD, CV will go a long ways towards that.  The CV in particular is especially effective in keeping them lit while a DD may have to risk detection to keep the stealthy Lion & Conqueror highlighted.

 

I haven't encountered Monarch enough to form an opinion about it when engaging it.

 

Tier V & VI?  Well, they're Tier V & VI, so it's easy to beat up on them.  15" eat them up, 16" shells absolutely devour them;  No problems crushing them with 16".  The same problems Warspite has, the same issues QE seems to have.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
304 posts
5,271 battles

Speaking on the other side of the fence, I've been citadeled in my Conqueror once in random battles by showing too much side to a Yamato before.

Ditto with Montana in semi angled close up brawling, in a few training room battles. That said, eating more than one or any at all is rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,362
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,830 posts
6,887 battles

I got a Nelson once with three citadels at damn close range with my Gneisenau, he was showing his flat broadside to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,452
[ARMDG]
Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

Double citadel at 8km into a Lion from a Bismarck, he was in a hard turn giving me a full view of his unmentionables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[-I-]
Members
1,722 posts
11,183 battles

I've had a few(2-3) from my Missouri. Don't really remember if it was a Conq, Lion, or Monarch, but it was always at range(15km+) and mostly broadside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,345
[CUTER]
Members
3,823 posts
16,842 battles
5 hours ago, MrDeaf said:
  • Ship you were using
  • Ship you shot at
  • Their angle, estimated (0° being perfectly bow on, 90° being completely broadside)
  • Range

 

 

  •  Hindenburg
  • Conquerer
  • broadside
  • 5.5 km
  • 1 citadel

 

 

  • Texas
  • Nelson
  • 70-ish deg
  • 6.5km
  • 5 citadels in 2 salvos (3+2)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,601
[PSP]
Members
7,956 posts
10,499 battles

I just fired 15 salvoes from a North Carolina into a stationary broadside Conqueror at less than 12 km with no citadels and very little damage. In turn, he lit me up with fires until I eventually burned to the waterline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
488
[JASH]
Members
3,602 posts
9,145 battles
22 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier VII, IX, X - Very hard to citadel them, but they eat penetrations, so in a weird way, I treat them the same way as German BBs.  KGV has poor armor outside its belt, really, Cruisers should focus hard on KGV because they should be bagging easy penetrations.  It's extremely hard to citadel KGV but she eats lots of pens.  Nelson eats citadels like its cool.  For Lion and Conqueror, treat them as any other, AP for the right times.  The crucial thing is keep them spotted so that they cannot slink away and hide, and repair at their leisure with those powerful repairs.  A DD, CV will go a long ways towards that.  The CV in particular is especially effective in keeping them lit while a DD may have to risk detection to keep the stealthy Lion & Conqueror highlighted.

 

I haven't encountered Monarch enough to form an opinion about it when engaging it.

 

Tier V & VI?  Well, they're Tier V & VI, so it's easy to beat up on them.  15" eat them up, 16" shells absolutely devour them;  No problems crushing them with 16".  The same problems Warspite has, the same issues QE seems to have.

 

Yep, citadeled a camping Nelson 4 times on Friday with three salvos of Baltimore AP from about 12 or 13 km.  Nelson is an entirely different animal from all the others though in terms or armor and citadel size/location.  

Edited by lemekillmister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×