You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaucasianReroll

It is time to re-think ram mechanics.

76 comments in this topic

Members
1,535 posts
13,791 battles

We just lost a game (in part), because I got rammed (by a gutless [edited] POS Amagi). I had to charge in because we had BB's on the 10 line, nothing new. High stakes game, and this glue eater probably hits A by mistake when he drops his glue stick and steers right into me, because I'm on the side his guns weren't facing.

A full health Missouri should not die to a ram from an Amagi that has 20k health left. That is a bad mechanic that makes no sense. Encouraging players to take the easy, spineless, dishonourable way out and ram is sad. But the game allows it. Can we get this changed? I'd be almost happy to keep detonations if you fixed this. Lol just kidding, they [edited]suck too.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
412 posts
1,294 battles

I don't know, when the situation calls for it and if i'm almost dead and if im in ramming distance i will take them to hell with me, plus it helps the team also.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
15,032 posts
11,529 battles

ramming dishonorraburu!?

1472446466789.gif

• Cool 15

[WOLF1]
Members
4,003 posts

Just now, ArchMadman said:

I don't know, when the situation calls for it and if i'm almost dead and if im in ramming distance i will take them to hell with me, plus it helps the team also.

It's an option.  

As for the OP, sympathy is in the dictionary between some other words that start with the letter S.

• Cool 2

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
25 minutes ago, ArchMadman said:

:Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
Members
8,693 posts
10,828 battles

It's called watching where you are sailing as well, I was having a blast taking down the enemy team in my Bismarck with my secondaries and main guns just firing away and noticed a Fuso steering in closer and closer and realized he was attempting to ram so I altered my course and he slipped right by me and he bled off speed in a futile turn to try to hit me but it was too late I was moving at speed since I had correctly anticipated the move and it felt good.

Another way to put it is in real life you could have a half sunk wreck of a ship and if you happen to plow your ship into it how great of shape is your ship likely to be after such a massive impact? Likely not so good right?

Wows actually has the ramming mechanics set to very forgiving and merciful settings considering pnlyna ship with a little HP left in it can damage or kill you since in reality you should be in trouble if you ram a dead and sinking ship or a rock or island. Count your blessings because it could be far worse.

• Cool 3

[90THD]
Supertester
1,194 posts
6,592 battles
35 minutes ago, SalvoSanta said:

We just lost a game (in part), because I got rammed (by a gutless [edited] POS Amagi). I had to charge in because we had BB's on the 10 line, nothing new. High stakes game, and this glue eater probably hits A by mistake when he drops his glue stick and steers right into me, because I'm on the side his guns weren't facing.

A full health Missouri should not die to a ram from an Amagi that has 20k health left. That is a bad mechanic that makes no sense. Encouraging players to take the easy, spineless, dishonourable way out and ram is sad. But the game allows it. Can we get this changed? I'd be almost happy to keep detonations if you fixed this. Lol just kidding, they [edited]suck too.

I somewhat agree with you.  I think that if you get rammed by someone who has 25% or more less health than you they should not live and you would live but take considerable damage.  I've had the same thing happen to me as well.  I'm going to start using the ramming flags now.

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

I do think ramming needs a small rework but not for OP's reasons. I was in a match where a Montana backed in to an NC at ~>5 kts to secure the kill and our win.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,214 posts
12,301 battles
3 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

I somewhat agree with you.  I think that if you get rammed by someone who has 25% or more less health than you they should not live and you would live but take considerable damage.  I've had the same thing happen to me as well.  I'm going to start using the ramming flags now.

Really don't think the health of the ship doing the ramming should effect the damage it causes. I mean the mass of the ship, it's momentum is the same regardless of the condition of the ship.  I do think the speed should matter and I don't think that is a factor in the game currently.  

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
15,032 posts
11,529 battles
6 minutes ago, KongouIsBestShip said:

I do think ramming needs a small rework but not for OP's reasons. I was in a match where a Montana backed in to an NC at ~>5 kts to secure the kill and our win.

reversing into a red ship at 5 knots results in lots of "grinding" damage, for sure. It's not an instant death, but will result in death.

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

reversing into a red ship at 5 knots results in lots of "grinding" damage, for sure. It's not an instant death, but will result in death.

That's the issue, it was just touch and boom. No grinding, no chance for NC to recover/possibly counter

Members
1,535 posts
13,791 battles
42 minutes ago, ArchMadman said:

This is exactly what I'm saying. The fact it's a viable way of getting out of something is disgraceful.

[SYN]
Members
15,032 posts
11,529 battles
1 minute ago, KongouIsBestShip said:

That's the issue, it was just touch and boom. No grinding, no chance for NC to recover/possibly counter

probably some mass factored into it as well.

go into training room and try slowly backing into a BB with a DD, you should see grinding damage.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,009 posts
10,482 battles

Sometimes the only thing left to do is...

[DPG]
Members
1,150 posts
5,527 battles

Oh great.  I guess we can thank flamu for the new catchphrase that will never die.  If I'm in a no win situation for me and I can ram someone...I'm gonna.  It takes a person down with me and feels really good too.

[SYN]
Members
53 posts
2,617 battles

As of now(as far as I know), the ramming mechanics take into account the size of the ships, and the speed. And the speed I am SURE about.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,639 posts
5,141 battles

It is a bit boring at the moment with the almost-insta-detonation mechanic.

It should detect the points on the hull you strike and do torpedo-style damage with guaranteed flooding (perhaps with a random roll on the bow to give the ramming ship some hope of a bonus)

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
3,502 posts
50 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Really don't think the health of the ship doing the ramming should effect the damage it causes. I mean the mass of the ship, it's momentum is the same regardless of the condition of the ship.  I do think the speed should matter and I don't think that is a factor in the game currently.  

Pretty much my thoughts. Speed and mass should be the factors. Force is mass times acceleration squared after all

[HYDRA]
Members
500 posts
2,536 battles

This kids, is why you should learn to dodge ships the way you dodge torps.  It's really your fault for not paying attention to what the enemy was doing, so in that sense, it's like asking that all torps in the water and shells in the air should be deleted once a player dies, because its mainly the same concept, low HP or dead ship killing ship that may have all their HP, and wasn't paying attention to what the guy was doing before his death.

TL;DR, no.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts
1 hour ago, Alionar13 said:

As of now(as far as I know), the ramming mechanics take into account the size of the ships, and the speed. And the speed I am SURE about.

I've sunk a couple of DDs by ramming them with CVs and have survived, even without the ramming flag.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,718 posts
3,794 battles

It's your own fault for even allowing an enemy ship that close that isn't a DD or stealthy cruiser. Especially not a battleship (or a battlecruiser in this instance).

That aside, there definitely are some mechanics at play when ramming though; there was a low-speed side-to-side grinding action between me and another battleship, and we just both took steady fire-like damage until one of us sank first. There was also a time when a 1/4th speed ram didn't do anywhere as much damage as I was expecting. A DD ramming a battleship almost never caused flooding in my experience, though at full speed the damage still felt like a single torpedo strike.

I believe it takes into account the speed of both ships as well as the class/mass, along with point of impact, though it doesn't seem consistent, as even a low speed ram sometimes did total damage.

[LOU1]
Members
3,456 posts
9,239 battles

I have rammed a ship (Bismarck to Bismarck) and survived - I had more health than she did and we were travelling at maybe half speed (may have been running the flag); did have to repair flooding, though.  It is also interesting to take out a DD on a torp run.  If you get under their torp arming range, they are sometimes close enough to swing a BB's stern into them.  A little tap, they blow up and you keep on moving with little loss of speed.

Edited by ExploratorOne