You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gloom13

tier 8 MM is a bit harsh

33 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

I don't play very often, yet this months I have had several games where I am the only tier 8 in a tier 10 match on either team. This is a bit extreme.

Today:

OUY9T6E.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
1,433 posts
3,718 battles
Just now, gloom13 said:

I don't play very often, yet this months I have had several games where I am the only tier 8 in a tier 10 match on either team. This is a bit extreme.

Today:

OUY9T6E.jpg

You are in the right battle.

Pay for a god ship pay the price via mm.

[NAV]
[NAV]
Members
410 posts
8,010 battles

That fire-spitting demon ship is fine in tier 10 games.  When my stock New Orleans ends up one of 4 tier 8s in a tier 10 match 9 times out of 10, we have a problem.

[RTR]
Beta Testers
306 posts
1,761 battles

The ship aside, tier 8 often suffers in a way like tier 5 does. 

I've made good on plenty of games like yours, but it is disheartening to have multiple games in a row as bottom tier and get spanked too quickly to contribute properly.

That said. I did have a wonderful game in my Bismarck as top tier yesterday which saw all that pent up aggression net me 120k damage and a narrow victory I mostly earned. 

Felt good to dictate the action again at tier 8!

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I've been playing a lot of tier 8 lately.. which means I've been exposed to the awful tier 8 matchmaking a lot. So I agree, and +/-1 would solve this problem, as well as a few others.

I don't understand why it's so hard. The low tiers have a much smaller population and also +/-1 and they function well enough. If WG thought the queue times were bad for the low tiers (as a result of +/-1) they would've switched to +/-2 a long time ago. They didn't, because they acknowledge that the population is sufficient.

It would also make balancing ships much easier in the long-term. You won't have to balance for 3 tiers, only 2. Come on, WG.

• Cool 5

[WFR]
Members
433 posts
15 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

I've been playing a lot of tier 8 lately.. which means I've been exposed to the awful tier 8 matchmaking a lot. So I agree, and +/-1 would solve this problem, as well as a few others.

I don't understand why it's so hard. The low tiers have a much smaller population and also +/-1 and they function well enough. If WG thought the queue times were bad for the low tiers (as a result of +/-1) they would've switched to +/-2 a long time ago. They didn't, because they acknowledge that the population is sufficient.

It would also make balancing ships much easier in the long-term. You won't have to balance for 3 tiers, only 2. Come on, WG.

You're so smart.

*raises glass*

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
42 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

If she can handle it so can you

I handled it just fine,

0e3YhL9.jpg

this does not change the fact that there should not be game where you are literally the only person of your tier level.

(and in your example btw there were 6 people of tier 8 on the enemy team, there were 0 in the game we were discussing, its not a good situation)

Also it does not change the fact that being 2 tier down is now by far the most common game setting for ALL tier 8 ships no matter if they are good ones or bad one.

Tier 8 MM is off.

Edited by gloom13
  • Cool 2

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
1 hour ago, Rommel_41 said:

The ship aside, tier 8 often suffers in a way like tier 5 does. 

Tier 5 is flat out unfair. You get to fight tier 7s but will not fight tier 3s. So overloaded messed up MM, hats of to anyone who bothers to play tier 5, I certainly wont, so no interest in their 5 premium ships either. Julio Cesare can fight tier 7s all on its own without me.

Edited by gloom13
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles

You might as well attempt to stop the tide for all the good it's going to do you..  from T5-T10, you'll get 3-tier MM (i.e. 5-7, 8-10, 7-9, etc) unless the numbers are particularly good that day, but don't hold your breath for it.

WG has repeatedly said they're not changing it.  It's your time to waste, of course.  Good luck.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
5 hours ago, SinisterSe7en said:

You're so smart.

*raises glass*

I'm going to assume you're serious, since you seem like a nice person. So thanks. I appreciate it, really.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,403 posts
15,874 battles
6 hours ago, gloom13 said:

Today:

OUY9T6E.jpg

The only Tier VIII ships that have it bad are the Cruisers and CVs.  They do not scale well with the tiers, and TBH, there's no appreciable difference between them and Tier VII Cruisers unless they got gimmicks like Atago (Repair Party), Edinburgh (Repair Party, Smoke), Kutuzov (Smoke, Pre-BFT/AFT Nerf Styled CL Guns).  The Tier VIII CVs fare poorly against Tier IX-X AA and are really doing nothing but feeding the stats of Tier X ship AA.

You got Kutuzov, one of the best Cruisers in the game to scale well with the tiers.  I'll venture to say she's far superior, more survivable than your counterpart, Tier IX Dmitri Donskoi in the red team, while doing the same capacity of a RU Cruisers:  Accurate, spammy, long ranged gunfire.  You got smoke, D.Donskoi is massive and has the same worthless armor, and even worse detection, while turning like s--t.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You got Kutuzov, one of the best Cruisers in the game to scale well with the tiers.  I'll venture to say she's far superior, more survivable than your counterpart, Tier IX Dmitri Donskoi in the red team, while doing the same capacity of a RU Cruisers:  Accurate, spammy, long ranged gunfire.  You got smoke, D.Donskoi is massive and has the same worthless armor, and even worse detection, while turning like s--t.

So what you are saying is that many other tier 8s would feel even worse if they were the only tier 8s in the match, which sounds like you agree that something is off with the match maker if you use words like " worthless...  worse... s--t" to describe a players experience. Or do you suggest that having single tier 8s in tier 10 games is ok and we should have more games like that?

24 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

I'm going to assume you're serious, since you seem like a nice person. So thanks. I appreciate it, really.

I think you should always take compliments as compliments.

For example - I think you are quite elegant.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,403 posts
15,874 battles
1 minute ago, gloom13 said:

So what you are saying is that many other tier 8s would feel even worse if they were the only tier 8s in the match, which sounds like you agree that something is off with the match maker if you use words like " worthless...  worse... s--t" to describe a players experience. Or do you suggest that having single tier 8s in tier 10 games is ok and we should have more games like that?

Put me in a Tier VIII Battleship like Alabama, I do not worry.  Tier VIII Battleships scale very well.

The Tier VIII DDs aren't as strong as the Tier IX-X but they have what matters:

Non of that Tier VII or prior awful concealment ranges.

Powerful, long ranged torpedoes that many Tier VII and prior DDs lacked.

A stealthy Benson is a menace to even the Tier X BBs and even the Cruisers.  Tier X Cruisers maneuver like sh*t, so any torps that hit are devastating.

There's Tier VIII Premium Lo Yang, 5.8km detection range, buffed hydro range almost rivaling Tier X German Hydro, and torps to suit the player's tastes.  Very nasty cap contester than only Z-46 & Z-52 can easily bully.

And no, I did not contradict myself.

1.  You can toss out CVs, because they are a low population, so them getting screwed by MM isn't as big a problem as the Tier VIII Cruisers getting shafted.

2.  So in terms of ships seeing action, only the Tier VIII Cruisers are getting boned.  The DDs and BBs are just fine.

Lastly, as far as being Bottom Tier, you just deal with it.  Did you honestly expect your Tier VIII should only be beating up on Tier VI's and not be getting shafted here and there?  There are only 2 tiers in the game that can say they'll usually be Top Tier.

Tier IV:  MM Protection

Tier X:  Highest Tier

If you are not in those 2 tiers, then expect anything, but V-VI get super shafted by MM.  VIII is well off.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
9 hours ago, gloom13 said:

Thanks. :3

Members
218 posts
2,101 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Put me in a Tier VIII Battleship like Alabama, I do not worry.  Tier VIII Battleships scale very well.

The Tier VIII DDs aren't as strong as the Tier IX-X but they have what matters:

Non of that Tier VII or prior awful concealment ranges.

Powerful, long ranged torpedoes that many Tier VII and prior DDs lacked.

A stealthy Benson is a menace to even the Tier X BBs and even the Cruisers.  Tier X Cruisers maneuver like sh*t, so any torps that hit are devastating.

There's Tier VIII Premium Lo Yang, 5.8km detection range, buffed hydro range almost rivaling Tier X German Hydro, and torps to suit the player's tastes.  Very nasty cap contester than only Z-46 & Z-52 can easily bully.

And no, I did not contradict myself.

1.  You can toss out CVs, because they are a low population, so them getting screwed by MM isn't as big a problem as the Tier VIII Cruisers getting shafted.

2.  So in terms of ships seeing action, only the Tier VIII Cruisers are getting boned.  The DDs and BBs are just fine.

Lastly, as far as being Bottom Tier, you just deal with it.  Did you honestly expect your Tier VIII should only be beating up on Tier VI's and not be getting shafted here and there?  There are only 2 tiers in the game that can say they'll usually be Top Tier.

Tier IV:  MM Protection

Tier X:  Highest Tier

If you are not in those 2 tiers, then expect anything, but V-VI get super shafted by MM.  VIII is well off.

I read your first point and that's pretty silly. Just because CVs are a low population does not mean we should ignore their many struggles, +2 MM being one of the biggest issues.

[FTWRK]
Members
560 posts
3,530 battles
18 hours ago, gloom13 said:

Today:

OUY9T6E.jpg

Just a fact 4 out of 5 games at tier 8 you are matched against 10...  it a total joke and honestly I believe WG does it on purpose to try and make you buy your way past ships. Same with double up tier MM at tier 5.

They want you to be desperate for tier X because that is where you make the least credit anyway and spend the most to get there. And you have to pay again to transfer the useless XP into free Xp. WG $$ greedy naturally.  \\

Generally speaking: Tier 1-4 are to suck you in, tier 5 is your first pay wall, 6-7 are generally to suck you in again, 8 and 9 are again often big pay walls unless you want to be constantly up tiered.  It is a pathetic joke MM in this game. Gets REALLY old.

Edited by BlitzFalcon109
  • Cool 1

[FTWRK]
Members
560 posts
3,530 battles
19 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

I read your first point and that's pretty silly. Just because CVs are a low population does not mean we should ignore their many struggles, +2 MM being one of the biggest issues.

Objectively CVs don't have many definitive struggles other the gross imbalance between the two CV lines. Everyone knows US ships of every class tends to have their struggles more so than other nations so not much to say other than russian bias seems dead set of making the US the least viable or at least least fun nation to play outside of their Bbs that are at least a little less frustrating.

Looking at the IJN CV line:

1. One of the top 4 highest average damage dealers of any ship at almost any tier, no other line averages the same kind of DPS from the bottom to top of the line.

2. God like spotting, no DD flanks, nothing hides, everything is spotted. Might as well have spy satellites for you team.  CVs could do THIS alone without 1 pt of damage and still be viable in team play.

3. Highest surviability rate of any ship win or lose.

Objectively IJN Cvs are retardly OP based on stats and basic logic and most people play IJN CVs if they CV outside of low tiers. CVS are victim of nothing but their own success that makes them imbalanced for the game. The other 'struggle' i hear about is their UI. But that is subjective and no one ever says what a better one would look like so i don't take it seriously. The carrier UI works for what it needs to do. And stuff like how the planes fly has been massively improved over time even if still in need of work. I remember at release Dive bombers would dive down through my ship under the water then flew away after bombing me rofl.

Edited by BlitzFalcon109

Members
218 posts
2,101 battles
Just now, BlitzFalcon109 said:

Objectively CVs don't have struggles other the gross imbalance between the two CV lines. Everyone knows US ships of every class tends to have their struggles more so than other nations so not much to say other than russian bias seems dead set of making the US the least viable or at least least fun nation to play outside of their Bbs that are at least a little less frustrating.

Looking at the IJN CV line:

1. One of the top 4 highest average damage dealers of any ship at almost any tier, no other line averages the same kind of DPS from the bottom to top of the line.

2. God like spotting, no DD flanks, nothing hides, everything is spotted. CVs could do THIS alone without 1 pt of damage and still be viable in team play.

3. Highest surviability rate of any ship win or lose.

Objectively IJN Cvs are retardly OP based on stats and basic logic and most people play IJN CVs if they CV outside of low tiers. CVS are victim of nothing but their own success that makes them imbalanced for the game.

I agree with this, but IJN CVs have problems too.

1. Agreed

2. CVs do typically spot a lot more ships than other classes. But is watching ships pop up that fun while your teammates shoot at them? Is it engaging? The next thing you know, you fly over and island, a Des Moines appears and your fighter squadron goes poof.

3. This is pretty self explanatory, I don't get how this is a huge factor in balance. CVs are not BBs. Their guns are meant for shooting at planes not enemy ships.So naturally they will be hiding behind an island or along the map lines.

[FTWRK]
Members
560 posts
3,530 battles
44 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

2. CVs do typically spot a lot more ships than other classes. But is watching ships pop up that fun while your teammates shoot at them? Is it engaging?.

2. Winning is fun and engaging I'm pretty sure. Doing damage as fun is subjective as it is shallow. By that metric DDs are the least fun which isn't true. Actually the most engaging class of them all.

Look at MMO games, entire classes there don't deal any damage really but do nothing but support, heal, buff, take damage. The entire basis of TEAM play is that we have different roles and we don't all do the same thing, ie not everyone does a butt load of damage every game. CVS DON'T fit into a team game if they do 2 out of 3 things BETTER THAN ANYONE. That is their problem. They do do everything except take damage... which they don't need to take since they can attack from across the map so it is a total moot point for them that just helps them avoid repair costs... I get the sense when I play CVs all the other ships are like lackeys... they are pawns and pieces in the real game between the enemy CV in myself. The fact 20 other players can become just PROPS to what feels like my personal CV RTS game is a joke. It is ONLY in CV where you can get that experience where the entire battle feels in the palm of your hand from start to end.

2. (continued) The next thing you know, you fly over and island, a Des Moines appears and your fighter squadron goes poof

Well at tier X you have like 100 planes in your hanger so not a big deal if squadron goes down. Also really MINOR to lose a squadron compared to a similar mistake from the Des Moines, like accidentally take a broadside AP salvo. You can't equate CV losing planes from mistakes  to other ships outright dying from mistakes that for the class might not have been much worse. They just don't have planes to take the fall for them. So you have god like spotting in a CV and unlike a DD spotting, who can't spot nearly as well, doesn't even risk his ship doing so. Just planes he can have so many more of.

3. This is pretty self explanatory, I don't get how this is a huge factor in balance. CVs are not BBs. Their guns are meant for shooting at planes not enemy ships.So naturally they will be hiding behind an island or along the map lines.

In conjunction with being able to spot everything, deal such consistency high damage, and otherwise just RUN THE SHOW unless the other CV does it instead of you, being able to not take a hit or even be seen the whole match by the people you massacre or sometimes even when you lose is adding salt to the wound. Repair bill you don't have to pay and most people would consider it is satisfying to rarely get sunk;' doesn't feel like you ever lose. You always escape; it was all the props who died while you hide in the back laughing at the meat bags take the hits. it is world of tanks artillery status troll-like. At the end of the carriers aren't risking as much as other players but are getting better rewards. That isn't fair and poor game play. I'm thrilled they are kicked out of clan wars.

Edited by BlitzFalcon109

[WFR]
Members
433 posts
12 hours ago, Elegant_Winter said:

on this forum, I agree. simple compliments can be underhanded vitriol in most cases.

But in this case, I am indeed serious. =)

• Cool 1