You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Dragon Naval Elite Signals?

12 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Got lucky (I think) and got a handful of these Commander Training Signal Flags in a Container and I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is it better to concentrate on the training of one Commander or distribute over several?

2.  Is it better to use them now in low Tier Co-Op and Randoms or wait until later?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

I like them stack them with as many other bonus has I can to get the most out of them. They are wasted in Co-Op with its low XP pay off. I would just save them for now till your better able to take advantage of them. (and maybe have other flags to stack with them)

Members
163 posts
411 battles
6 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I like them stack them with as many other bonus has I can to get the most out of them. They are wasted in Co-Op with its low XP pay off. I would just save them for now till your better able to take advantage of them. (and maybe have other flags to stack with them)

I think I have plenty of flags to stack with them - bought some Anniversary Containers - so is the primary reason for saving them because you earn more XP in Tier III Randoms than Tier I Co-ops?  Doesn't a trained Commander improve your performance and therefore XP earnings going forward so isn't it better to train them as fast as possible?

Edited by OldFrog75

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

XP earning is Co-Op are low.  Equal performance in the same ship same tier probably give a quarter (i'm guesstemating that figure) the XP in Co-Op as you would have gotten in Randoms.  Plus XP is also just lower for lower tiers, probably wouldn't mount XP/dragon flags on anything lower than t5 personally but that's just me. 

Yes, a better captain will (potentially) increase your performance and therefore net you more XP, but player skill is always more important than captain skill.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
9 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

XP earning is Co-Op are low.  Equal performance in the same ship same tier probably give a quarter (i'm guesstemating that figure) the XP in Co-Op as you would have gotten in Randoms.  Plus XP is also just lower for lower tiers, probably wouldn't mount XP/dragon flags on anything lower than t5 personally but that's just me. 

Yes, a better captain will (potentially) increase your performance and therefore net you more XP, but player skill is always more important than captain skill.

Given I'm here primarily for fun and as a diversion when WoT MM and RNG are streaking against me and have no plans to go any higher than Tier IV (unless WG extends the current (-1) Preferred MM to higher tiers), I'll probably be using them sooner rather than later.

Edited by OldFrog75

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

Game gets more fun at the mid tiers. The protected MM doesn't make the game more fun, just less diverse, more predictable, less of a challenge, and lower reward. The ships lines also get more fun in the mid tiers. But whatever, you do you.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Game gets more fun at the mid tiers. The protected MM doesn't make the game more fun, just less diverse, more predictable, less of a challenge, and lower reward. The ships lines also get more fun in the mid tiers. But whatever, you do you.

I get enough (-2) bottom tier challenge on a daily basis in WoT.  I come here to relax.  :Smile_Default:

[WOLF1]
Members
3,791 posts
1,509 battles
22 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

I get enough (-2) bottom tier challenge on a daily basis in WoT.  I come here to relax.  :Smile_Default:

The difference is that in WoT, +2 tiers, you may not even be able to penetrate an enemy tank with your gun.  I can see that being very frustrating.  

OTOH, That's not how it works in ships.  T5 Texas, for example, can still penetrate T7 ships. They may not be able to overmatch the bow, but they can still sink them if need be.  T5 Emerald is still crappy at T5, but it's not any worse crap in a T7 match than it would be in a T5 match!

You can still set them on fire in your non-RN cruiser, and watch them burn.  You can still torpedo a T7 ship in your T5 DD and make it stick.  

Members
163 posts
411 battles
23 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

The difference is that in WoT, +2 tiers, you may not even be able to penetrate an enemy tank with your gun.  I can see that being very frustrating.  

OTOH, That's not how it works in ships.  T5 Texas, for example, can still penetrate T7 ships. They may not be able to overmatch the bow, but they can still sink them if need be.  T5 Emerald is still crappy at T5, but it's not any worse crap in a T7 match than it would be in a T5 match!

You can still set them on fire in your non-RN cruiser, and watch them burn.  You can still torpedo a T7 ship in your T5 DD and make it stick.  

Thanks.  That's good to know and segues to a couple of questions WoT vs. WoWS:

1.  How many ships on a team and how are the tiers broken down?  So far in Tier I, I haven't seen more than 8 ships on a team.

2.  In WoT new players are frequently told that when they are (-2) bottom tier they should just seek out the lower tier tanks on the enemy team to do battle with.  Generally much easier said than done because overall map positioning usually dictates where you play - not the strength/weakness of enemy tanks.  Is it different in WoWS?

3.  In WoT with the 3/5/7 MM, the success of the bottom tiers is usually highly dependent on the success of the upper tier teammates.  If the higher tiers don't carry their weight your team is pretty much doomed.   Is it the same in WoWS?

Edited by OldFrog75

[WOLF1]
Members
3,791 posts
1,509 battles
36 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Thanks.  That's good to know and segues to a couple of questions WoT vs. WoWS:

1.  How many ships on a team and how are the tiers broken down?  So far in Tier I, I haven't seen more than 8 ships on a team.

2.  In WoT new players are frequently told that when they are (-2) bottom tier they should just seek out the lower tier tanks on the enemy team to do battle with.  Generally much easier said than done because overall map positioning usually dictates where you play - not the strength/weakness of enemy tanks.  Is it different in WoWS?

3.  In WoT with the 3/5/7 MM, the success of the bottom tiers is usually highly dependent on the success of the upper tier teammates.  If the higher tiers don't carry their weight your team is pretty much doomed.   Is it the same in WoWS?

Unless the game is temporarily short of people, due to time, or some games running long or something, you'll get 12 people per side in Random Battles.  As far as tier distribution, MM does its best to balance the teams as far as ship type and tier, so if you get 2 T5, 1 T6, and 1 T7 CA/CL, you will most likely see the same type and tiers on the other side, although likely not the same ships.

There are times that there's one more DD or one more CL/CA for one side or the other, but it tries to avoid that.  CVs are rigid matching MM.  If you see a T5 CV on your side, you'll see a T5 CV on the other side.  No exceptions.  I rarely see BB matchups lack equal numbers.

You could conceivably run into anything, really,  I popped out of smoke in a Clemson a couple nights ago and there was a BB 2 km broad on my starboard beam.  His guns were turned the wrong way.  I popped 2 pairs of torps at him, and he didn't have time to dodge.  His secondaries hit me for about 10% damage to my hp, and set me on fire, but I circled on around before his main guns could bear on me, and fired 4 more torps.  I ended up losing a 1/3 of my health, but he ate 8 torpedoes, and was sunk.

Different situations demand different tactics, and, like WoT, you'll just have to play it to learn.  Also, there are ships that you will 'click' with, and ships you won't.  The RN cruisers, at least so far, just don't really 'click' for me, for example, but other people swear by them.

Don't be afraid to take on a T7 ship with a T5, as you usually can take them on, but you will sometimes be disadvantaged, but I can't really think of a time where you can't hurt them.  You just might have to work harder or work around something.

I've seen bottom tier win the game and/or carry the others.  It's up to the players, a lot of the time.  Are there matchups that don't work very well?  Yes.  Is that an 'every time' thing? No.

Edited by mavfin87

Members
163 posts
411 battles
38 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Unless the game is temporarily short of people, due to time, or some games running long or something, you'll get 12 people per side in Random Battles.  As far as tier distribution, MM does its best to balance the teams as far as ship type and tier, so if you get 2 T5, 1 T6, and 1 T7 CA/CL, you will most likely see the same type and tiers on the other side, although likely not the same ships.

There are times that there's one more DD or one more CL/CA for one side or the other, but it tries to avoid that.  CVs are rigid matching MM.  If you see a T5 CV on your side, you'll see a T5 CV on the other side.  No exceptions.  I rarely see BB matchups lack equal numbers.

You could conceivably run into anything, really,  I popped out of smoke in a Clemson a couple nights ago and there was a BB 2 km broad on my starboard beam.  His guns were turned the wrong way.  I popped 2 pairs of torps at him, and he didn't have time to dodge.  His secondaries hit me for about 10% damage to my hp, and set me on fire, but I circled on around before his main guns could bear on me, and fired 4 more torps.  I ended up losing a 1/3 of my health, but he ate 8 torpedoes, and was sunk.

Different situations demand different tactics, and, like WoT, you'll just have to play it to learn.  Also, there are ships that you will 'click' with, and ships you won't.  The RN cruisers, at least so far, just don't really 'click' for me, for example, but other people swear by them.

Don't be afraid to take on a T7 ship with a T5, as you usually can take them on, but you will sometimes be disadvantaged, but I can't really think of a time where you can't hurt them.  You just might have to work harder or work around something.

I've seen bottom tier win the game and/or carry the others.  It's up to the players, a lot of the time.  Are there matchups that don't work very well?  Yes.  Is that an 'every time' thing? No.

Sounds like maybe the tiers in WoWS are more evenly balanced than they are in WoT.  In WoT the armor and gun differentials of (+2/-2) are huge.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,791 posts
1,509 battles
49 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Sounds like maybe the tiers in WoWS are more evenly balanced than they are in WoT.  In WoT the armor and gun differentials of (+2/-2) are huge.

By T5 in BBs, we're into 12 to 14-inch guns, but, there are ships at T6, and T7 with 13.5 inch, 14-inch, 15-inch, and 16-inch guns, but, all of those can still damage the others.  Of course, don't forget Scharnhorst with its 11-inch guns.  They still work fine, even at T7.  Of course, cruisers don't have tons of armor, some more, some less, and they're mostly either 6-inch or 8-inch caliber guns.  Atlanta's a T7 exception, with 16 5-inch guns, with a high rate of fire.  Again, pretty much all cruisers can hurt other cruisers, and most cruisers can use HE to set BBs on fire.  DDs have 4-5 inch guns mostly, with a few outliers, and, of course, torpedoes.  Some cruisers have torpedoes as well.

Yeah, it's not like WoT where some vehicles you simply can't hit at all when you're 2 tiers lower. 

Also, while you do sometimes get big hits, particularly with torpedoes, or BBs one-or-two-shotting cruisers, that's not really the norm.  Just when someone makes a mistake at the wrong place and gets blasted back to port.  A lot of the time, it's not like WoT where a lot of engagements, 2-4 shots will be the end of it.  I've seen ships take 10 or 15 hits or more and are still floating, depending on where they were hit, and what angle they were hit from, and, of course, what they were hit with.

Tier I is just gunboats, no armor, just shooting practice, really.  

Edited by mavfin87