You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ibrah_hero

is the Arizona good?

23 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
4,831 posts
7,976 battles

Its ok ...funny am at a loss for words on this one, it's no Belfast for sure, its just ok , one of those ships that will have a radar nich with the right player but to use it will be putting you in harms way a tad to much for me.. it's just ok 

oops got me ships mixed up

disregard folks

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,670 posts
10,496 battles

Very Good Guns, the AA isn't as bad as you might think, good armor, slow as roadkill.

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
88 posts
3,768 battles
3 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Let's keep which ships are good to one forum post, please?

ill do that next time since i dont want to mess up the title

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

Why are you spamming with all these posts, just read LWMs reviews.

AZ is good, some might argue really good. But she is a slow bathtub that I do not enjoy playing. The early US BBs (for the most part) just are not fun for me. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles

Really the main issues are just her slow speed and weakish AA. She is probably the second best T6 BB in the game to Warspite.

Members
1,395 posts
3,718 battles

Arizona is a god.

Good aa at well over 53 rating

Slow not really no

Guns from thor.

Can fight easily in tier 8.

Not quite warspite as secondaries are crap despite what the info says.

The arizona also looks amazing.

1 hour ago, Ibrah_hero said:

is the Arizona good?

Very good.

Members
1,395 posts
3,718 battles
1 hour ago, Ibrah_hero said:

is the Arizona good?

In real life no like the hood it took 1 bb shell to the deck and detonated as life didnt provide a det flag.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,518 posts
19,348 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Very Good Guns, the AA isn't as bad as you might think, good armor, slow as roadkill.

^^^^ This! ^^^^ Her guns are just great, love firing them and you can not blame RNG for missing. They almost always hit exactly where you aim at. I love taking her into Operations where you are shooting at the forts, you just blast them out of existence. But she is slow, as a matter of fact, when Slow wants to describe something as slow, they call it Arizona.. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,249 posts
15,762 battles

Arizona is an amazing Tier VI Battleship.

But in a Tier VII-VIII match, Tier VI BBs are roadkill for Battleships and Carriers.

Do not read if you do not want to see the truth.  If you don't want the truth, then by all means, get AZ.

Spoiler

As a Tier VI ship, Tier VII-VIII ships are what you're going to see quite a lot of.  That's the way Match Making is now.

You see, the glowing reviews of Arizona are relics.  Relics of a time gone by, in a prior version of Match Making that no longer exists, when Arizona got to exercise her superiority over Tier IV-V-VI ships.  In that threat range, she was a Goddess of War.  But what people do not tell you is the MODERN Match Making of WoWS that constantly pits her against Tier VII, VIII ships.  Specifically the Battleships and Carriers.

You see, Tier VII BBs on, with the exception of Scharnhorst and KGV, 15" is the standard, and there are 3 with 16" guns in Tier VII alone.

You see, Arizona was supreme over the bulk of Tier IV-VI BBs in the old MM because she can face tank 356mm AP with little to no effect on her, and in return had great gunnery.  "In the old days" the only Tier IV-VI that could punch AZ through the nose was Warspite.  But the "old days" are gone.  You're facing Tier VII-VIII a lot of the time now.  Against 15" BB guns (381mm), Arizona cannot do that.  She eats penetrations.  Then there are the 16" (406mm) guns, and they sure as hell will laugh at AZ's protection.

Tier VII BBs

15" armed:  Gneisenau

16" armed:  Colorado, Nagato with shells that will laugh at Arizona's armor like it doesn't exist.  Nelson?  She can use AP but is just as likely to use that great RN BB HE with very high Fire Chance.

Scharnhorst is only armed with 283mm but can, and will heavily damage AZ.  She is also stupidly fast, has great secondaries, and torpedoes, and the armor to laugh at AZ's 356mm rifles.

KGV is only armed with 356mm, but AZ's problem is KGV doesn't like AP.  She has RN BB HE and will simply burn AZ down.

Oh, but it gets worse.

Tier VIII BBs

15" armed:  Tirpitz (has torps), Bismarck - Both are fast, TOUGH, and can have 11.3km secondaries.  Then there's Monarch with RN BB HE to light you afire from bow to stern.

16" armed:  North Carolina, Amagi, Kii, Alabama - More 16" shells to laugh at AZ's armor.

Hey, it still gets worse for AZ.

There are 2 more glaring weaknesses for Arizona, things nobody in this thread have brought up, but me.

Arizona's AA is utterly worthless.

The Tier VI CVs can be a big issue to AZ.  Her AA is so bad that flimsy Tier VI Ryujo's planes can dance in your AA aura and not worry about aircraft losses, so they can be sure to line up a great bomber run on you with little to no loss.  But Tier VI CVs aren't the main problem.  It's the Tier VII-VIII CVs that you got to deal with.  They can hit you tremendously hard.

Kaga, Hiryu, Saipan, Strike / Stock Ranger - They can demolish Tier VI BBs.

Then there's the Tier VIII CVs:  Enterprise, Strike / Stock Lexington, Shokaku, Graf Zeppelin.

Even more powerful than the Tier VII CVs in attack power, maybe with the exception of Tier VII Kaga's sheer alpha strike damage.

Tier VI is a bad place to have 21kt max speed, and that's what AZ has.

21kts was fine for Tier III, got old for Tier V, and for Tier VI, you're tired of that s--t.  The 21kts is serviceable if you were facing equal or lower tier ships, but again, you are facing Tier VII-VIII a lot.  Of the Tier VII BBs, only Colorado is as slow, she's f--ked at 21kts, but everyone else is faster.  The Tier VIII BBs are ALL much faster.  25-27kts is the average but numerous examples of BBs in these tiers put them at 29 or 30kts.

The Tier VII-VIII BBs are extremely dangerous to Tier VI BBs.  They are better armored, faster, have great range, more accurate guns.  If not as big, accurate guns, then more spammy guns (Scharnhorst).  The CVs will lay heavy punishment on AZ.  If you are in a CV match, you better hope to whatever you believe in, that some Cleveland or Atlanta stays near you, because a Tier VI BB like Arizona, especially one with worthless AA, is what a CV is looking for.

And by the way, a number of those Tier VIII Battleships are the most played ships in the game.  So yes, you better be ready to see the likes of Tier VIII Bismarck while playing Tier VI Arizona.

ALL.

THE.

TIME.

Against the Tier VII-VIII BBs alone, Arizona cannot out shoot, cannot outrun, cannot out-tank their damage.  Arizona cannot assume any angle to prevent LOLPENS from 15" and 16" guns.  Some of these BBs, have better concealment ranges than you, so you cannot hide well from them!:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CDMX]
Members
100 posts
5,799 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Arizona is an amazing Tier VI Battleship.

But in a Tier VII-VIII match, Tier VI BBs are roadkill for Battleships and Carriers.

Do not read if you do not want to see the truth.  If you don't want the truth, then by all means, get AZ.

Reveal hidden contents

As a Tier VI ship, Tier VII-VIII ships are what you're going to see quite a lot of.  That's the way Match Making is now.

You see, the glowing reviews of Arizona are relics.  Relics of a time gone by, in a prior version of Match Making that no longer exists, when Arizona got to exercise her superiority over Tier IV-V-VI ships.  In that threat range, she was a Goddess of War.  But what people do not tell you is the MODERN Match Making of WoWS that constantly pits her against Tier VII, VIII ships.  Specifically the Battleships and Carriers.

You see, Tier VII BBs on, with the exception of Scharnhorst and KGV, 15" is the standard, and there are 3 with 16" guns in Tier VII alone.

You see, Arizona was supreme over the bulk of Tier IV-VI BBs in the old MM because she can face tank 356mm AP with little to no effect on her, and in return had great gunnery.  "In the old days" the only Tier IV-VI that could punch AZ through the nose was Warspite.  But the "old days" are gone.  You're facing Tier VII-VIII a lot of the time now.  Against 15" BB guns (381mm), Arizona cannot do that.  She eats penetrations.  Then there are the 16" (406mm) guns, and they sure as hell will laugh at AZ's protection.

Tier VII BBs

15" armed:  Gneisenau

16" armed:  Colorado, Nagato with shells that will laugh at Arizona's armor like it doesn't exist.  Nelson?  She can use AP but is just as likely to use that great RN BB HE with very high Fire Chance.

Scharnhorst is only armed with 283mm but can, and will heavily damage AZ.  She is also stupidly fast, has great secondaries, and torpedoes, and the armor to laugh at AZ's 356mm rifles.

KGV is only armed with 356mm, but AZ's problem is KGV doesn't like AP.  She has RN BB HE and will simply burn AZ down.

Oh, but it gets worse.

Tier VIII BBs

15" armed:  Tirpitz (has torps), Bismarck - Both are fast, TOUGH, and can have 11.3km secondaries.  Then there's Monarch with RN BB HE to light you afire from bow to stern.

16" armed:  North Carolina, Amagi, Kii, Alabama - More 16" shells to laugh at AZ's armor.

Hey, it still gets worse for AZ.

There are 2 more glaring weaknesses for Arizona, things nobody in this thread have brought up, but me.

Arizona's AA is utterly worthless.

The Tier VI CVs can be a big issue to AZ.  Her AA is so bad that flimsy Tier VI Ryujo's planes can dance in your AA aura and not worry about aircraft losses, so they can be sure to line up a great bomber run on you with little to no loss.  But Tier VI CVs aren't the main problem.  It's the Tier VII-VIII CVs that you got to deal with.  They can hit you tremendously hard.

Kaga, Hiryu, Saipan, Strike / Stock Ranger - They can demolish Tier VI BBs.

Then there's the Tier VIII CVs:  Enterprise, Strike / Stock Lexington, Shokaku, Graf Zeppelin.

Even more powerful than the Tier VII CVs in attack power, maybe with the exception of Tier VII Kaga's sheer alpha strike damage.

Tier VI is a bad place to have 21kt max speed, and that's what AZ has.

21kts was fine for Tier III, got old for Tier V, and for Tier VI, you're tired of that s--t.  The 21kts is serviceable if you were facing equal or lower tier ships, but again, you are facing Tier VII-VIII a lot.  Of the Tier VII BBs, only Colorado is as slow, she's f--ked at 21kts, but everyone else is faster.  The Tier VIII BBs are ALL much faster.  25-27kts is the average but numerous examples of BBs in these tiers put them at 29 or 30kts.

The Tier VII-VIII BBs are extremely dangerous to Tier VI BBs.  They are better armored, faster, have great range, more accurate guns.  If not as big, accurate guns, then more spammy guns (Scharnhorst).  The CVs will lay heavy punishment on AZ.  If you are in a CV match, you better hope to whatever you believe in, that some Cleveland or Atlanta stays near you, because a Tier VI BB like Arizona, especially one with worthless AA, is what a CV is looking for.

And by the way, a number of those Tier VIII Battleships are the most played ships in the game.  So yes, you better be ready to see the likes of Tier VIII Bismarck while playing Tier VI Arizona.

ALL.

THE.

TIME.

Against the Tier VII-VIII BBs alone, Arizona cannot out shoot, cannot outrun, cannot out-tank their damage.  Arizona cannot assume any angle to prevent LOLPENS from 15" and 16" guns.  Some of these BBs, have better concealment ranges than you, so you cannot hide well from them!:Smile_teethhappy:

This is very accurate, 

However, I'll dare to add that no ship, premium in this case, won't suffer when played bottom tier. Maybe the exception is the Mighty Mo, because she's 9.

As you are going up they suffer less, i.e. Tirpitz and Alabamas vs Yamatos and FdG and so on. I red here and there that KII suffers even more vs higher tier vessels. But T8 premium are the most expensive ones. As you going down they got cheap and also have less trouble MM but they have less XP and money bonus. A fair trade maybe.

In that regard, today, the sweet spot IMHO is T7.

Keep in mind that missions and quests,  i.e. Yamamoto's,  are 8 to 10 only. 

I don't know about other classes, that's my opinion about BB.

Edited by Rodrigo_Godoy

[-DPF-]
Members
773 posts
8,718 battles

Let's see, Arizona has the highest win rate of Tier VI BBs, both overall, and in the last 2 weeks.  Overall it has the highest average damage and ship kill rate, and in the last 2 weeks it is 2nd in damage by only ~400 hp and tied for first in ship kills.  So, it is unquestionably a good Tier VI BB.  Arguably, based upon both overall performance and in the last 2 weeks (long after the above referenced MM changes), it is the best Tier VI BB.  That said, it is slow, and requires a particular play style to get the most out of the ship.  Thus, some people do not enjoy playing it despite the simple fact that it is a very good ship.  If you hate the other low to medium tier US BBs, you will probably hate Arizona as well.  If you like them, then you will love Arizona!  I personally am a big fan, but I acknowledge that this ship is not for everyone.

Edited by Nhi_Vanye

Members
837 posts
4,929 battles

Arizona, in comparison with other tier 6 battleships, is a solid ship, with good, accurate 12 x 14" guns that can punch hard and reasonable armour. It is, however, extremely slow and has pathetic AA. The gunnery is very comfortable, but unless you can catch up with your team you'll be left behind. The speed was the deciding factor for me to forego playing her in favour of Warspite and higher tier fast battleships.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,249 posts
15,762 battles
On 10/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, Rodrigo_Godoy said:

This is very accurate, 

However, I'll dare to add that no ship, premium in this case, won't suffer when played bottom tier. Maybe the exception is the Mighty Mo, because she's 9.

As you are going up they suffer less, i.e. Tirpitz and Alabamas vs Yamatos and FdG and so on. I red here and there that KII suffers even more vs higher tier vessels. But T8 premium are the most expensive ones. As you going down they got cheap and also have less trouble MM but they have less XP and money bonus. A fair trade maybe.

In that regard, today, the sweet spot IMHO is T7.

Keep in mind that missions and quests,  i.e. Yamamoto's,  are 8 to 10 only. 

I don't know about other classes, that's my opinion about BB.

Unless you're Tier IV and Tier X, everyone has to worry about being Bottom Tier at some point or another.

The problem with Tier V-VI is that due to the revised Match Making where Tier IV gets protected, it means Tier IV-VI get fed into being bottom tier far more than anyone else.

In early-mid 2016, Tier VI was the most played tier in the game, without a doubt.  Personally, it was my favorite, I had great ships in the stables there:  Cleveland, Molotov, Fuso, Arizona, Budyonny to name a few.

After the revamped MM with Tier IV being protected, Tier VII-VIII is the New Tier VI.  Sure, it's going to be challenging being a Tier VII fighting IX's, an VIII fighting X's, but Tier VII-VIII ships are far more capable to face tier disparity than VI's are.

An Alabama can take on a Montana and have a decent chance to win.  Alabama can do things to mitigate the advantages a Montana can do to her, at least draw the fight out.

Arizona?  AZ vs Alabama?  There isn't a single thing AZ can do.  She can't angle, she can't go bow on, she can't outpunch Alabama.  She can't outrun her, she can't out-secondaries her, she can't even defend herself if any CV decides to jump into the fight.

Scharnhorst has issues against Iowa / Missouri, but in the right parameters, the Scharnhorst user can be absolutely dominating.

That's the disparity of power Tier V, VI has when bottom tier, and bottom tier is what they'll frequently be.  Which sucks, because I have numerous Tier V-VI ships which I like but no longer play because WG saw fit to screw those 2 tiers over.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CDMX]
Members
100 posts
5,799 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Unless you're Tier IV and Tier X, everyone has to worry about being Bottom Tier at some point or another.

The problem with Tier V-VI is that due to the revised Match Making where Tier IV gets protected, it means Tier IV-VI get fed into being bottom tier far more than anyone else.

In early-mid 2016, Tier VI was the most played tier in the game, without a doubt.  Personally, it was my favorite, I had great ships in the stables there:  Cleveland, Molotov, Fuso, Arizona, Budyonny to name a few.

After the revamped MM with Tier IV being protected, Tier VII-VIII is the New Tier VI.  Sure, it's going to be challenging being a Tier VII fighting IX's, an VIII fighting X's, but Tier VII-VIII ships are far more capable to face tier disparity than VI's are.

An Alabama can take on a Montana and have a decent chance to win.  Alabama can do things to mitigate the advantages a Montana can do to her, at least draw the fight out.

Arizona?  AZ vs Alabama?  There isn't a single thing AZ can do.  She can't angle, she can't go bow on, she can't outpunch Alabama.  She can't outrun her, she can't out-secondaries her, she can't even defend herself if any CV decides to jump into the fight.

Scharnhorst has issues against Iowa / Missouri, but in the right parameters, the Scharnhorst user can be absolutely dominating.

That's the disparity of power Tier V, VI has when bottom tier, and bottom tier is what they'll frequently be.  Which sucks, because I have numerous Tier V-VI ships which I like but no longer play because WG saw fit to screw those 2 tiers over.

Correct.

I remember that time. Cleveland, Murmansk and others. Good days. Now they serve only for scenarios.

There is a jump in BB vessels stats to the VI to VIII tiers. Especially on USN ones. I remember the time when New Mexico were the beast of BB ... before MM changes and german power creep. Maybe the old machtmaking were conceived to reflect that disparity. They´ve change the MM but the tech tree remained the same.

Back to OP. I keep my opionion: AZ is great. But, I would do any investment on her now. I´d prefer to play more until get to the NC, save some money, and then go to premium camo or invest on Alabama or perhaps the incoming Massachusetts.

Best regards.

Members
2,925 posts
1,365 battles
On 9/30/2017 at 6:39 PM, Ibrah_hero said:

is the Arizona good?

Arizona is a good gun boat, literally nothing else.  Her AA will shoot down a few planes, but if your under attack,  evasion is best, hoping fighters or other ships shoot them down is best.  500 games, my AZ has like 500-600 or so plane kills, like a 1.7 avg plane kill ratio....

Arizona armor is solid in it's tier, once you get up tiered though, 16 inchers start having fun with you. 

Arizona guns are quite accurate, get tight groupings. and seem to invade citadels and score alot of nice hits, feels far better then the New Mexico, despite being the same guns.

Another draw back to AZ is her speed, which combined with her short range(16km), makes for sometimes, very boring games, where you guess where you figure the engagement will be, and if your wrong, well, prepare to score maybe 10,000 dmg, as you drive around playing catch up.  If you get up tiered, you really have a bad day, no range, no speed, no armor, you are little more then fish food for other ships to shoot and get free damage.  When you get games of alot of DD/CA, you have a bad day as well, they run around, torp the world, leaving you in the dust.  CVs also give you hell.

But yeah, Arizona, when you can get her stuck in and get into a nice fight, with angles, fancy foot work and good aiming, she will pull you through.  Shes a tough boat with good main guns.  Use those features and you will do well.  I personally like her.  (this from only coops though).  I did watch PVP games to draw my conclusion she was a gudbote though, she performed well in all the videos I saw, bouncing rounds like a champ. 

Edited by KnightFandragon

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

At her tier, Arizona is a strong ship - and she is very capable of tanking and dishing against ships two tiers up.

However - I find her an absolute chore to play (despite a 76% WR and 68K Ave Dmg in her). 

I ground through the lower tier USN BBs quite a long time ago - and I don't miss them, at all.  Its their speed that kills it for me - I much prefer my BB to have the ability to flex, and re-position effectively.

Texas, Arizona, Warspite - all languish in my port - and only very rarely see action.

If you're looking for a good premium BB - I would suggest Tirpitz or Scharn over the Arizona.  All. Day. Long.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,246 battles

For her tier, she's an excellent BB.

But.

Because of the staggering step between tier 6-7 and then again to 8, she falls short fast; especially with her horribad speed, lousy viewing range and her near-hopless vulnerability to $h!tters in cloaking DDs. DDs will raep the Arizona, which is far more a statement of how unbalanced the game is, especially tier 7+, than to the Arizona herself.