Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Skyfaller

Planning for Yamato: Questions

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,479 posts

Currently in tier 8, pushing for Yamato... so I have a few questions concerning the capt. build for it.

1- Secondaries: Is it worth taking manual secondaries (when used with AFT and secondary battery +range upgrade of course)? I have full secondary build on Scharnhorst and I find it very useful.. but tier 10 is a different environment and Yamato is a different beast. I could use those 4 points for more survivability skills, including vigilance... so I'd like to know if Yamato with AFT with secondary battery+range upgrade is functional or not.

2- Technically speaking Yamato can push its main guns out to 36km's (+range modules and spotter aircraft) ..which is mind boggling and potentially very useful. So my question is... is the dispersion at such range really bad? I wouldn't want to end up with a Yamato that has pre-fix NC like dispersion at short ranges.

3- How helpful is having Yamato with rudder upgrade (-20%) to turn around those gun if you do not take Expert Marksman?

Overall I'm trying to decide if to go for a stealth+full range and accuracy secondaries +max main gun range build... using premium repair and damage control...

Prevent Maint, 2spotter planes

High Alert

Basics of Surv

AFT, Manual Fire Control, Concealment Expert

or go for a max survival+max main gun accuracy

Preventive Maint

High Alert, Jack of all Trades, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush

Basics of Surv. Superintendent

Last 4 points are either spent on fire prevention or on vigilance+2spotter planes .. it all depends on how those new deepwater torps turn out to impact the game. using premium repair and damage control...

[RKLES]
Members
8,394 posts
10,650 battles

With the way CVs are on the rise I would take BFT and AFT Skills to better fend off air attacks since they both also help with your Secondaries. I use these 2 skills on pretty much all my BBs.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,993 posts
4,754 battles

Manual secondaries is useful to get those 155mm ap rounds hit and pen for good damage.

Expert marksman is vital for the Yamato. It has glacial turret rotation, not taking that skill would make it have tectonic plate turret rotation.

I use spotter plane not for the increase range, but to have better view of the ships if they are over a piece of land blocking my view or to land better shots on angled targets.

Beta Testers
1,479 posts
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Manual secondaries is useful to get those 155mm ap rounds hit and pen for good damage.

Expert marksman is vital for the Yamato. It has glacial turret rotation, not taking that skill would make it have tectonic plate turret rotation.

I use spotter plane not for the increase range, but to have better view of the ships if they are over a piece of land blocking my view or to land better shots on angled targets.

Thanks for that info.. I guess that is a must add then. 

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles

1) secondaries at tier 10 aren't a priority for my Yamato or GK.  Points spent better elsewhere. 

2) max range is worthless, the standard range is already amazing. You benefit from the increase ROF mod.  If u go with spotter plane, you can always pop one early while everyone's still far out. 

3) I take damage control over rudder, remember how often you shoot AT Yamato, just wait until you see how much you get focused.  Let Vigilance make up for the rudder if needed.

My real advice is to try to enjoy Izumo. I still miss mine, it took me a long time to comes around and like Yamato.  

Beta Testers
1,479 posts

Frankly the only reason I'm considering the absurd range build is because in most battles the green cv does spot the red cv very early...and with this range Im rather sure I could get a salvo or two in if the green CV cooperates and keeps it lit. Killing carriers from absurd distance.... dunno..seems a fitting poetic justice :D

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles
On 01/10/2017 at 0:00 PM, Skyfaller said:

Frankly the only reason I'm considering the absurd range build is because in most battles the green cv does spot the red cv very early...and with this range Im rather sure I could get a salvo or two in if the green CV cooperates and keeps it lit. Killing carriers from absurd distance.... dunno..seems a fitting poetic justice :D

Whatever floats your boat yo.  That might happen 1/30 battles, little better if u div with a CV.  26 KM base is pretty far, and the spotter will be up while the red CV is lit.  Buy the range for a while, only way you'll know if u like it, easy to sell and replace.  ROF on the other hand I use in 100% of battles.  Adrenaline Rush is another big DPM monster, especially now that it works with 2nds too.  Just wait for when we get a Kraken with Yamamoto at the helm, can't wait. 

[STAR]
Members
2,955 posts
8,064 battles

Go for a tank/main gun build. With the currently HE spam a tank buid is very good. Better than secundaries, Yamato is not a brawler. Also you dont need 36 km, at that range is nearly Impossible to hit. Try to stay around 10-15 km, is the best distance for Yamato. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,414 posts
15,881 battles
21 hours ago, WhiteRecon said:

Whatever floats your boat yo.  That might happen 1/30 battles, little better if u div with a CV.  26 KM base is pretty far, and the spotter will be up while the red CV is lit.  Buy the range for a while, only way you'll know if u like it, easy to sell and replace.  ROF on the other hand I use in 100% of battles.  Adrenaline Rush is another big DPM monster, especially now that it works with 2nds too.  Just wait for when we get a Kraken with Yamamoto at the helm, can't wait. 

Also, being able to shoot out that far is one thing, being able to hit at that extreme range is another.

Beta Testers
1,479 posts
On 10/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Also, being able to shoot out that far is one thing, being able to hit at that extreme range is another.

Been running said 36km Yamato and doing great with it... but it took a while given I had to retrain 2 captains (2nd being Yamamoto) into it which crapped my stats.. but now I routinely one shot cruisers from 25 to 30km range and been getting wonderful high damage and even citadels beyond 31km using spotter aircraft vs bbs and cruisers. Not rushing to close range combat works fantastic for Yamato..you keep making use of your best attributes at long range and give them all up at close range. Problem is the team going full lemming rush and most dying while you're barely able to reload your fourth salvo. 

Sign in to follow this