You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

French BB are FINALLY on their way (next year)

24 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,495 posts
8,668 battles

Well, if our friends at Armoured Patrol are to be believed, the French battleship line is being driven forward. Unfortunately, they're saying these BBs won't arrive until early next year. Please make your comments about Pan-Asian DDs on a different thread. So far, it seems that three ships are confirmed. Bretagne (France's last BBs until Dunkerque) armed with five double barrel 13.4" turrets (probably the tier V), Normadie with three quad turrets (13.4") bares a passing resemblance to Imperator Nikolai with minimal superstructure (I'd wager that she's tier VI since she's more heavily armed than Dunkerque, but has a terrible turret arrangement and much less speed), and the final revealed in Richelieu, which has two 15" quad turrets (basically a scaled-up Dunkerque); my gut is telling me that she will probably end up at tier VII since her main battery is a little small, is concentrated in only two turrets, and she lacks BALANS German secondaries. So chances are that if we ever want to see Lyon (4x4 340mm guns, SQUEE!), she'll have to be a premium. In other news, we could have a situation like with KGV and Monarch or FdG for Alsace. This is because there were three possible gun configuration designs: Three triple 380mm for n*1 (meh), three triple 406mm for n*2 (usual shtick for a tier VIII), or three quadruple 38mm for n*3 (please wargaming, it'd be something unique). Thoughts?

[HINON]
Supertester
7,637 posts
7,879 battles

Also if you watch the vid or find on Reddit where they translated, they have the tier for Richelieu. Richelieu is at tier 8. Which is good because it’s where she belongs. Richelieu’s secondaries are very good and her AA is well above tier 7. She’s in her US refit.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[WOLF5]
Members
1,789 posts
2,486 battles

Well, it's nearly October, and we know they have Pan-Asian and the GZ and deep-water torps to sort out. Also, French BBs were never planned for this year, so not really surprised.

My question is will they have speed boost?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Well, it's nearly October, and we know they have Pan-Asian and the GZ and deep-water torps to sort out. Also, French BBs were never planned for this year, so not really surprised.

They were actually. Four lines were planned for the year: Two French lines, the RN BBs, and the PA DDs. The testing of the RN BBs took way longer than expected, as did GZ.

[VVV]
Members
2,473 posts
2 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Bretagne (France's last BBs until Dunkerque) armed with five double barrel 13.4" turrets (probably the tier V)

I would guess T4. Bretagne should be weaker than Iron Duke and New York given the French 340mm gun wasn't as good as its British and American counterparts.

Normadie with three quad turrets (13.4") bares a passing resemblance to Imperator Nikolai with minimal superstructure (I'd wager that she's tier VI since she's more heavily armed than Dunkerque, but has a terrible turret arrangement and much less speed)

I'd put her at T5, again because of the French 340mm/45 being not that good. Dunkerque's 330mm/52 is a much better gun. Plus the 340 will probably get the typical BB reload of 30 to 32s rather than Dunkerque's 28s.

Richelieu, which has two 15" quad turrets (basically a scaled-up Dunkerque); my gut is telling me that she will probably end up at tier VII since her main battery is a little small, is concentrated in only two turrets, and she lacks BALANS German secondaries.

What Richelieu does have is good guns, good armor, good AA and a layout perfect for bow-tanking. It's good that she's been confirmed T8 because that's where she belongs.

I'm hoping we get Strasbourg for the T7. Give her the as-designed 20s reload and something like this as the AA suite and she'll get the job done.

Members
612 posts
3,335 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

My question is will they have speed boost?

Historically France had some of the most effective TDS of their time so I'm hoping they all have highly effective torpedo belts. Seems like a good idea to me.

Richelieu will be more than fine at tier 8. 8 guns can all be fired bow on (same total amount as Bismarck) and the refit in the US basically put her AA protection on par with NC. I hope they can figure out how to separate the turret into two hitboxes though especially if they try to push quad turrets to tier 9 and 10.

Edited by ksix

[NGA]
Members
1,495 posts
8,668 battles
8 hours ago, Doomlock said:

They were actually. Four lines were planned for the year: Two French lines, the RN BBs, and the PA DDs. The testing of the RN BBs took way longer than expected, as did GZ.

Actually I think in New Years blurb they mentioned two Brit lines, "several" French lines, and Cold War RU DDs. Thankfully they seem to have nixed the later to prevent a mass player revolt over missile DDs.

[NGA]
Members
1,495 posts
8,668 battles
8 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Actually I believe the New Yeas blurb said something along the lines of two Brit lines, "several" French lines, and Cold War RU DDs. Fortunately they seem to have nixed the later to prevent a mass revolt over missile DDs. Also, I kept saying from the beginning that it could take until September to see Brit BBs and no one listened. Sure they didn't take that long, but I was seeing a lot of optimism for late June/early July.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles
44 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Also, I kept saying from the beginning that it could take until September to see Brit BBs and no one listened. Sure they didn't take that long, but I was seeing a lot of optimism for late June/early July.

Most of us weren't expecting the RN BBs to take so long to test. The time was ridiculously long with a lot of drastic changes.

Members
643 posts
3,917 battles
10 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Most of us weren't expecting the RN BBs to take so long to test. The time was ridiculously long with a lot of drastic changes.

Nobody expected the "short-fuze AP" or that HMS Monarchenstein.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,021 posts
16,002 battles

I think the delay is due to a lack of funding

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,430 posts
2,075 battles

I can't confirm this, because my understanding of French is only just barely above a big fat zero, but I've heard that the comment saying it was coming in 2018 rather than 2017 wasn't from anyone official, but just a comment from someone in the video.

It is, after all, only the 1st of October, and Pan-Asian DDs are basically right around the corner. They'll probably be out before the end of the month, and then that gives us at least two months (November, December) for French BBs to arrive (winter holiday season, anyone?).

But, I could also be totally wrong.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,619 posts
3,724 battles
26 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I can't confirm this, because my understanding of French is only just barely above a big fat zero, but I've heard that the comment saying it was coming in 2018 rather than 2017 wasn't from anyone official, but just a comment from someone in the video.

It is, after all, only the 1st of October, and Pan-Asian DDs are basically right around the corner. They'll probably be out before the end of the month, and then that gives us at least two months (November, December) for French BBs to arrive (winter holiday season, anyone?).

But, I could also be totally wrong.

In theory, WG could get French BBs out by December/January, assuming the line doesn't have any extremes or forced gimmicks to balance, and assuming they worked out their fictional T10 (whether it's a 3x or 4x quad 16" monstrosity or some 9~12x 450mm monstrosity).

They have pretty strong guns up the line, a tendency towards bow-tanking, and respectable AA and TDS, and really only need a minor flavor such as innate boosted acceleration/deceleration (more to help with likely start/stop bow play as well as speed-changes during turns or while attempting some evasive maneuvering). Remaining variables such as gun accuracy/shell performance/RoF can be tweaked as-needed.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,430 posts
2,075 battles
1 hour ago, YamatoA150 said:

In theory, WG could get French BBs out by December/January, assuming the line doesn't have any extremes or forced gimmicks to balance, and assuming they worked out their fictional T10 (whether it's a 3x or 4x quad 16" monstrosity or some 9~12x 450mm monstrosity).

They have pretty strong guns up the line, a tendency towards bow-tanking, and respectable AA and TDS, and really only need a minor flavor such as innate boosted acceleration/deceleration (more to help with likely start/stop bow play as well as speed-changes during turns or while attempting some evasive maneuvering). Remaining variables such as gun accuracy/shell performance/RoF can be tweaked as-needed.

Definitely. I've always been of the opinion that the French BB line would be one of the lines in the game that wouldn't require any kind of gimmick or additive to give them a unique flavor. I think inclusion of innately better acceleration/deceleration could be interesting, but it would ultimately only benefit a few ships in the line (Richelieu, Jean Bart if she was to come as a premium, and Strasbourg if she makes an appearance as a line ship). The WWI-era designs all do their best on the broadside, with their amidships turrets, while out of the more modern designs, the highest-tiered ones will probably have turrets in their after portions as well. 

Members
499 posts
7,185 battles
22 hours ago, Lord_Magus said:

I would guess T4. Bretagne should be weaker than Iron Duke and New York given the French 340mm gun wasn't as good as its British and American counterparts.

I'd put her at T5, again because of the French 340mm/45 being not that good. Dunkerque's 330mm/52 is a much better gun. Plus the 340 will probably get the typical BB reload of 30 to 32s rather than Dunkerque's 28s.

What Richelieu does have is good guns, good armor, good AA and a layout perfect for bow-tanking. It's good that she's been confirmed T8 because that's where she belongs.

I'm hoping we get Strasbourg for the T7. Give her the as-designed 20s reload and something like this as the AA suite and she'll get the job done.

I agree with your placements,  here's my full line prediction.

T3 - Courbet

T4 - Bretagne

T5 - Normandie

T6 - Lyon (Actual paper design - The MOAR GUNs option, though WG may go with a fantasy ship here, 16x 340mm at T6 would be a real odd ball)

T7 - Strasbourg - with a reload to match the Shineyhorse.

T8 - Richelieu - Just a natural fit at T8.

T9 - Alsace (With 12x 380mm in 3x Quad Turrets)

T10 - Super Alsace - Either 16x380s or 12 406s of imaginary origin (The French Quad Turrets are just to iconic to go with 3x3 450mm). 

Edited by Veasel
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
12,220 posts
8,459 battles
21 minutes ago, Veasel said:

T3 - Courbet

T4 - Bretagne

T5 - Normandie

T6 - Lyon (Actual paper design - The MOAR GUNs option, though WG may go with a fantasy ship here, 16x 340mm at T6 would be a real odd ball)

T10 - Super Alsace - Either 16x380s or 12 406s of imaginary origin (The French Quad Turrets are just to iconic to go with 3x3 450mm). 

Smaller guns in quad turrets does sound more interesting.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,202 battles
On 9/30/2017 at 3:30 PM, renegadestatuz said:

Why quote from the players who posted it on reddit and eu when you can credit thearmoredpatrol which credits no one? :cap_like:

Members
612 posts
3,335 battles
1 hour ago, Veasel said:

T3 - Courbet

T4 - Bretagne

T5 - Normandie

Prefer to see quad 450s since they were real as opposed to a completely fantasy cannon. The ship will just have to be a bit fat to compensate for the turret size. They don't necessarily have to stick with quads either. Alsace, if constructed, was very likely going to be triple 380s due to the planned armor and shipyard constraints.

Members
499 posts
7,185 battles
1 hour ago, ksix said:

Prefer to see quad 450s since they were real as opposed to a completely fantasy cannon. The ship will just have to be a bit fat to compensate for the turret size. They don't necessarily have to stick with quads either. Alsace, if constructed, was very likely going to be triple 380s due to the planned armor and shipyard constraints.

My main issue with the 3x3 380's as designed is that's it will struggle to be competitive at T9 vs 3x3 406s/410s, especially since she's essentially a stretched Richelieu. So WG would probably need use a 16" gun regardless, though this does lead nicely into a 3x3 450mm.  

The 450mm 1920 has the same issues as the RN BL 18" Mk1 - old design that's not really suitable for a T10 gun, so again, we get a fantasy upgrade like the 457s we see on the Conquer.  And functionally in game, they're not really any different than the 406/410/420/457s we already have due to the overmatch mechanics.

The 3x3 works just as well, but I hope they retain the quads to retain that French battleship look.

Edited by Veasel

Members
612 posts
3,335 battles

BL 18" MK1 had terrible shell velocity though. Recorded exit velocity for the French 450mm was 875m/s which is excellent. This is 45m/s faster than the 380 and should retain its penetration and velocity quite a bit better too due to the shell weight. The problem with the British 18" in game is that they offered the 16.5" in the first place and unlike the Germans basically ask you to lose 1/3 of your firepower to equip them for very little gain in return.

Given WGs love with high tiers = huge calibers I think its safe to say we'll see the 450mm in game. I'd be fine with 3x4 380mm at Tier 9 and 2x4 450mm at tier 10. Might fly in the face of realism but again, this is WG we're talking about.

Edited by ksix

[VVV]
Members
2,473 posts
5 hours ago, ksix said:

Alsace, if constructed, was very likely going to be triple 380s due to the planned armor and shipyard constraints.

That's true, but Alsace n1 (the 3x3 380 design favored for those reasons) was also barely an upgrade over Richelieu and would in some ways be worse for WOWS purposes since she would have 2 fewer guns available when bow-in. Alsace n3 would be some 10k tons heavier get upgraded armor in addition to 50% more firepower over Richelieu so she's a much easier fit at T9. Plus maintaining quad turrets helps keep the French line unique without resorting to consumable gimmicks.

Members
499 posts
7,185 battles
4 hours ago, ksix said:

BL 18" MK1 had terrible shell velocity though. Recorded exit velocity for the French 450mm was 875m/s which is excellent. This is 45m/s faster than the 380 and should retain its penetration and velocity quite a bit better too due to the shell weight. The problem with the British 18" in game is that they offered the 16.5" in the first place and unlike the Germans basically ask you to lose 1/3 of your firepower to equip them for very little gain in return.

Given WGs love with high tiers = huge calibers I think its safe to say we'll see the 450mm in game. I'd be fine with 3x4 380mm at Tier 9 and 2x4 450mm at tier 10. Might fly in the face of realism but again, this is WG we're talking about.

I don't mind if they go with the 450s, it will be interesting to see what they do with the T10 since they've got free reign with it since it'll be a completely fictional ship.  Though maybe they've dug up an obscure design study somewhere.

Edited by Veasel