You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya and Imperator Nikolai

32 comments in this topic

[KAG]
Members
1,704 posts
10,988 battles

At a glance the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya (tier 5 premium) and Imperator Nikolai (tier 4 premium) look very similar and their stats do too. Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya has less HP than the Nikoai although it's a tier higher and they appear to have the same guns.
Does anyone have any info on the main difference between these two? other than the Oktyabrskaya is very cool looking, like something from a 1950's sci-fi comic. Thx

[HINON]
Supertester
7,637 posts
7,879 battles

October Revolution has a limited amount of DCP charges.

Also, LWM has a review up of her.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[WAG]
Beta Testers
697 posts
5,722 battles
4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

At a glance the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya (tier 5 premium) and Imperator Nikolai (tier 4 premium) look very similar and their stats do too. Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya has less HP than the Nikoai although it's a tier higher and they appear to have the same guns.
Does anyone have any info on the main difference between these two? other than the Oktyabrskaya is very cool looking, like something from a 1950's sci-fi comic. Thx

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

renegadestatuz mentioned the unique DCP and LWM's review.  Check it out if you haven't.

However, to me, there's two very important things Imp.Nik.I has over October Revolution.

1.  Much better turret layout to use the entirety of the ship's guns, very easy switchover of guns from left to right side of the ship.  Oct.Rev. has a turret layout where presenting all guns is an invitation to getting citadeled.

2.  Imp.Nik.I is a Tier IV ship.  Tier IV is "Protected" in MM, and thus, almost guaranteed top dog status in a match.  October Revolution is a Tier V ship, and Tier V-VI get s--t on by MM.  Maybe October Revolution is an amazing Tier V BB?  Maybe.  For her tier.  Because she is going to looking down the guns of Scharnhorst, Gneisenau (15"), Colorado (16"), Nagato (Sniper 16"), KGV (Imma set you on fire), and Nelson (Imma set you on fire with 16";  Zombie Healz).  She is going to see them.  A LOT.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles

October Revolution's guns reload 4s faster than Nikolai's. They also share Nikolai's good ballistics and penetration.

She has a super fast DCP reload at the cost of having a maximum of 5 charges.

She has great turret angles which allow her to fire 9 guns at a heavy angle.

She has pretty good AA for a T5 that isn't Texas which can defend her very well against same tier carriers.

She is extremely stealthy being beaten out only by GC at her tier.

Hope that gives some insight!

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[KAG]
Members
1,704 posts
10,988 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

renegadestatuz mentioned the unique DCP and LWM's review.  Check it out if you haven't.

However, to me, there's two very important things Imp.Nik.I has over October Revolution.

1.  Much better turret layout to use the entirety of the ship's guns, very easy switchover of guns from left to right side of the ship.  Oct.Rev. has a turret layout where presenting all guns is an invitation to getting citadeled.

2.  Imp.Nik.I is a Tier IV ship.  Tier IV is "Protected" in MM, and thus, almost guaranteed top dog status in a match.  October Revolution is a Tier V ship, and Tier V-VI get s--t on by MM.  Maybe October Revolution is an amazing Tier V BB?  Maybe.  For her tier.  Because she is going to looking down the guns of Scharnhorst, Gneisenau (15"), Colorado (16"), Nagato (Sniper 16"), KGV (Imma set you on fire), and Nelson (Imma set you on fire with 16";  Zombie Healz).  She is going to see them.  A LOT.

Thanks for the info!   I'm looking forward to seal clubbing it with KG5. I'll also try to win it as it well look cool sitting in dock with my collection :-)

Edited by STINKWEED_

[HINON]
Supertester
20,086 posts
13,526 battles

Nik is OP for a T4. Okt is not OP. Just because they 'look similar' at first glance don't mistake that for them being the same or even alike. They're not.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,567 posts
20,078 battles

ImpNik has the far better turret layout, you can wiggle to the right and left and still keep 9 guns facing toward the enemy without showing any broadside. But you have no AA. There is a good reason why they remive that ImpNik from sale and give away the OR. With the current MM you will see T7 regular with the Revolution but the ImpNik benefits from the T4 can see T5 max. Most of the time you are top tier.

Members
675 posts
3,956 battles

I like a lot playing my Imperator Nikolai I. My russian BB captain is ready for the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya.

Members
7,723 posts
8,041 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This.

OR is already one of the most worthless ships in the game, and she isn't even available to all of us for another 4 days. If it isnt a cruiser, she won't be able to deal any damage unless she uses HE. And isn't that what we need? Yet another flame throwing BB?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Nik is OP for a T4. Okt is not OP. Just because they 'look similar' at first glance don't mistake that for them being the same or even alike. They're not.

MM is brutal for Tier V.

Murmansk is the best Tier V CL, but she gets s--t on by MM seeing superior, higher tier ships all the time.  I don't use her anymore.

I love my Texas, but seeing the likes of Nagato, Colorado all the time that simply don't give a.f. what I do got tiring.  I never use TX anymore as a result.

Even the absolutely fabulous Konig gets s--t on by MM.

I may very well end up getting October Revolution, but I'll be honest, it's more for collecting purposes.  Even my beloved Texas and her patriotic camo scheme is lounging in port, unused for months.

[ARGSY]
5,567 posts
20,078 battles

The current MM is the reason why I didn’t take the Texas or Murmansk out. Only T5 I play now and then is the Gremlin. I even didn’t play the Arizona. If the OR guns are the same like the ImpNik guns you shouldn’t worry about using AP against T6 BB, they will work. On T7 the Gneisenau/Scharnhorst are the toughest cookies. 

[INTEL]
Members
9,241 posts
26,899 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Exactly. Which is why I am glad they are giving her away, because there is no way I'd spend money on another port queen in T5 and T6. Sucks that WG decided to wreck the two best tiers in the game just to sell more high tier premiums...

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
5,567 posts
20,078 battles
30 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Exactly. Which is why I am glad they are giving her away, because there is no way I'd spend money on another port queen in T5 and T6. Sucks that WG decided to wreck the two best tiers in the game just to sell more high tier premiums...

Because it’s unfair for T4 to see T6. Not sure if the game experience get better if you are regular bottom tier after you reach T5.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,708 battles

OR advantages vs Nikolai: gun range is better (but still meh for T5), decent AA (only beaten in T5 by Texas), HE resistance via 38mm deck (defeats German 150mm & normal 203mm HE), sides 75mm or better everywhere except small part of the ends & superstrucure, faster reload (32s vs 36).

Downsides: Sees T7, weaker main armour (225mm belt with 38mm turtleback, 100mm ends vs 270mm belt with 75mm turtleback & 150/300mm ends), Nikolai has 3 forward facing turrets. Somehow Nikolai has better torp protection 16% vs OR 10% :cap_wander_2:(but still way sub-par)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
6 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Because it’s unfair for T4 to see T6. Not sure if the game experience get better if you are regular bottom tier after you reach T5.

The prior MM version was superior.  There were no protected MM Tiers, everyone played with the +/-2 tier range.  They all got to feast on someone 2 tiers lower, but they also all got to pay the piper with matches against ships 2 tiers higher.  This persisted throughout the tiers and was fair.  The only tier that literally had 0 fears of being Bottom Tier?  Tier X, because that is the cap, as it is today.  You don't like being Bottom Tier?  Then go Tier X, no other tier had MM security, only X.

That was fair.

The way it is now, Tier IV gets "Protected," like Imperator Nikolai really needed that MM protection, right? :Smile_teethhappy:  Ishizuchi gets protected.  Orion gets protected.  They get to repeatedly beat up on hapless Tier III ships with baseball bats having rusty nails sticking out.  They very rarely face Tier V.  Speaking of Tier V, both V & VI, as part of the effect of "Protecting" Tier IV, they are repeatedly sent to be meat for the menu for Tier VII-VIII ships.  Tier V & VI very rarely get to exercise any dominance because they almost always are bottom tier.

In the prior MM version, Tier VI was easily the most popular tier to play.  That was everyone's fun haven.  It was also my favorite.  But Tier VI has been shafted and is no longer the go to tier for the average player.  The result?

WQGbk1m.jpg

NA Server in the Last 2 Weeks the 18 Most Played Ships.  In this list:

Tier IV - 1 ship of 18.

Tier V - 1 ship of 18.

Tier VI - 1 ship of 18.

Tier VII - 2 ships of 18.

Tier VIII - 5 ships of 18.

Tier IX - 3 ships of 18.

Tier X - 5 ships of 18.

Tier VI used to be the most played tier in the game.  Not anymore, it's shafted and there's no redeeming quality for the tier.  People have shifted to higher tiers.  Why would I want to play New Mexico to only see the likes of NC, Alabama, Bismarck, Amagi all the time?  Even a fabulous Tier VI BB like Warspite and Arizona get shafted by this.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
Members
10,074 posts
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier VI used to be the most played tier in the game.  Not anymore, it's shafted and there's no redeeming quality for the tier.  People have shifted to higher tiers.  Why would I want to play New Mexico to only see the likes of NC, Alabama, Bismarck, Amagi all the time?  Even a fabulous Tier VI BB like Warspite and Arizona get shafted by this.

The MM is partially why the T6 population isnt as strong however you also have operations at that tier drawing in people and more people play the T10's because elite commander xp is a thing and with the new perma camos you can play T10 to your hearts content without bleeding credits.

[4HIM]
Members
2,059 posts
5,471 battles

I'd still want both due to my being a hoarder collector.  Don't have either.  Wish there was a way to get an I. Nikolai. 

[HINON]
Supertester
7,637 posts
7,879 battles
39 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Try your luck for SCs till the end of the game

Or Santa Crates if they do them again this year.

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles
16 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

This.

OR is already one of the most worthless ships in the game, and she isn't even available to all of us for another 4 days. If it isnt a cruiser, she won't be able to deal any damage unless she uses HE. And isn't that what we need? Yet another flame throwing BB?

Wut? OR and Konig guns have the same calliber and Konig is one of the best T5 BBs. Also there is no big difference between OR (305), Kongo (356) dunkerque (330), they all can pen the same ships. 

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Players dont play middle tier for many reasosn, not only MM. I would say its a mix of:

- bad MM;

- operations with T5/6 ships;

- the player base is just moving to higher tiers, more XP and credits. 

I dont play much middle tiers, most of my lines are t7+ (at least the ones i like). I have t7/8 premiums for credits. So there is no reason to go back to T6. 

Members
675 posts
3,956 battles
9 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I'd still want both due to my being a hoarder collector.  Don't have either.  Wish there was a way to get an I. Nikolai. 

Maybe your next chance is next Christmas with Santa crates in premium shop if they do this event again (and they will probably do it again as they made a lot of money with it).

Members
458 posts
8,257 battles

One thing I noticed about the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya it has much better shell grouping than then Nikolai. So far I'm loving the ship. The Improved AA makes it handle the up tier better than I expected. In the Nikolai you were a free target for the CV. Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya also feels more nimble to offset its turret layout. Though I dont remember bouncing as many shells as I did in the Nikolai.

• Cool 2