Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gearhead68

Help me pick a tier X!

16 comments in this topic

[MOFOS]
Members
39 posts
4,699 battles

Hi All,

Was hoping for some good advice on tier X cruisers. I had been going up the US line, and I like the NO so far, but looking ahead the Des Moines looks to be a different playstyle. On paper, it looks more like the Cleveland - good armor for a cruiser, good DPM, but not that maneuverable, and iffy gun handling and range. And according to the wiki, you have to play it by camping behind islands and playing the parking game. Which is a playstyle I can't stand.

My favorite cruisers to play so far:

• NO: Good maneuverability, decent guns. Maneuverable enough to avoid too much heat most of the time.
  • Königsberg: Decent maneuverability, great guns, and has torpedoes in case some one gets too close. Keep a close eye on your minimap, maneuver wisely, keep your guns firing, and watch that damage meter fill up. This is actually my favorite ship to play. Doesn't matter what the match-up is, you can always do something for your team. Yes, the armor is weak, an 2 or 3 times out of 100 you get nuked by a BB 1 minute into the game, but a lot of 50-100K dmg games.
  • Kuma: Kind of the same as Königsberg, but with worse guns and better torpedoes.

My least favorite cruisers to play so far (Not saying they are bad ships, I just don't have fun playing them)

• Leander: Too dependent on smoke, with too short of gun range to be effect all around. Some game work great, some games suck. You set up the perfect smoke ambush and the reds have the nerve to push to where you can't escape afterward, or they just sail out of your range and you have to abandon your little smoke cloud.
  • Emerald: Same as Leander but worse in every possible way
  • Cleveland: Too reliant on enemies not shooting at you to be effective all around. Frequently let down by gun range/accuracy. Armor can be effective against other cruisers, but there are usually enough BBs to nuke you, and you are a big easy target for 14"+ guns. AA is great in theory, but a lot of times there are no CVs, and if there are they usually stay well clear of you. I have had some 20+ air kills per game, but usually they just go around you. Sometimes you have a perfect matchup, and map, and sometimes you get skunked.

Anyway... Have played the Anime ships too, and they are so-so. Not fun enough to make me really want to go up the IJN line. But maybe the tier IX and X are different. Or maybe I should look at a gunboat DD line.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,035 posts
10,548 battles

Of the tier ten cruisers I liked the Hindenburg the most . However the Henry IV got me my first (and only) Witherer Achievement .  

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,858 posts
6,889 battles

Hindenburg has some really fun features. Troll armor at close range making citadel hits near impossible, two shell types that are very strong and the AA is also good. Perhabs the best brawling Cruiser in the game, strong dpm, it can do almost anything if you want.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,152 posts
14,526 battles

From your own observations ...you will not like the Des Moines cause it is a lot like Cleveland. Hindy is all around great cruiser with awesome armor and guns...you said you love the Koni.....then Hindy is for you!

Zao is also strong, an awesome fire starter with torps that reach 76knots and concealment that only the brit lines can match, Henry can reach speeds that rival the Sims torpedoes! Moskva, long range rail guns and radar. Minotaur has best ROF of course but is super squishy when hit from any angle. If you are confused, do what I did and get them all!

Seriously though I would say ...based on your statements ...that Hindy would be the best fit for you.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,706 posts
4,256 battles

I have only one T10 and that is Zaō. However I am drawing close to DM having just unlocked and purchased Baltimore.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,710 posts

The one i hate most to encounter while driving a bb is a Des Moines. They can be quite the challenge using AP against them. 

[DD214]
Members
768 posts

Given what you say, the Henri may well be the best best. You might want to try the T 10 ships out on either the est server or rent during the Clan Season. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

You can't really go wrong with any T10 cruiser :) Except Minotaur in your case :p

EDIT: I have both Hindy and DM and I prefer DM, because the reload is so fast and it has radar :)

Edited by joris92

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,403 posts
15,874 battles
On 9/30/2017 at 7:52 AM, Gearhead68 said:

Hi All,

Was hoping for some good advice on tier X cruisers. I had been going up the US line, and I like the NO so far, but looking ahead the Des Moines looks to be a different playstyle. On paper, it looks more like the Cleveland - good armor for a cruiser, good DPM, but not that maneuverable, and iffy gun handling and range. And according to the wiki, you have to play it by camping behind islands and playing the parking game. Which is a playstyle I can't stand.

My favorite cruisers to play so far:

• NO: Good maneuverability, decent guns. Maneuverable enough to avoid too much heat most of the time.
  • Königsberg: Decent maneuverability, great guns, and has torpedoes in case some one gets too close. Keep a close eye on your minimap, maneuver wisely, keep your guns firing, and watch that damage meter fill up. This is actually my favorite ship to play. Doesn't matter what the match-up is, you can always do something for your team. Yes, the armor is weak, an 2 or 3 times out of 100 you get nuked by a BB 1 minute into the game, but a lot of 50-100K dmg games.
  • Kuma: Kind of the same as Königsberg, but with worse guns and better torpedoes.

My least favorite cruisers to play so far (Not saying they are bad ships, I just don't have fun playing them)

• Leander: Too dependent on smoke, with too short of gun range to be effect all around. Some game work great, some games suck. You set up the perfect smoke ambush and the reds have the nerve to push to where you can't escape afterward, or they just sail out of your range and you have to abandon your little smoke cloud.
  • Emerald: Same as Leander but worse in every possible way
  • Cleveland: Too reliant on enemies not shooting at you to be effective all around. Frequently let down by gun range/accuracy. Armor can be effective against other cruisers, but there are usually enough BBs to nuke you, and you are a big easy target for 14"+ guns. AA is great in theory, but a lot of times there are no CVs, and if there are they usually stay well clear of you. I have had some 20+ air kills per game, but usually they just go around you. Sometimes you have a perfect matchup, and map, and sometimes you get skunked.

Anyway... Have played the Anime ships too, and they are so-so. Not fun enough to make me really want to go up the IJN line. But maybe the tier IX and X are different. Or maybe I should look at a gunboat DD line.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

For your tastes, I'd say Zao, Hindenburg, Henri IV are suited for your style.

You emphasized gunnery, ship handling.

Zao has exceptional stealth, trollish protection.  However, she has famed Zao Lazorz and the reputation of Fire Starter with great IJN CA HE damage and fire chance.  Her AP is underrated.  My division mate loves her above all other Tier X Cruisers because she calls her "Potato Team Proof."  He can end up in a terrible team, but that combination of great stealth, excellent gunnery means he always walks away with great numbers no matter what.  That stealth perk is immense in repositioning, or breaking contact when your group has folded.  To keep a Zao lit, you need an extremely aggressive DD or CV aircraft.  Otherwise, it's very easy for Zao to slip away and come back at her choosing.  An annoying thing with Zao is her turret traverse is kind of meh.  But if you let some Zao get in close, even with her bad torp angles, those F3 torps will end you.  That "trollish" armor tends to let her getting away with closing range long enough to get those powerful torps off.

Hindenburg is an excellent, all around CA.  Even her AA if specced for it, is excellent.  HE shell dmg is low, fire chance is low, but German Cruisers all got an HE pen buff, basically a Free IFHE with no Fire Chance penalty.  Hindenburg's gunnery is fast (10 seconds, 8.8 with MBM3) and her shell arc, velocity make engaging at range easy.  Hindenburg racks up damage in 2 primary ways:

- Repeated, accurate long range HE gunnery.

- Well timed, placed AP at the right occasions.

You will use HE most of the time but you keep an eye out to land that high German AP alpha damage.  Other Cruisers get rekt by the AP if they show sides.  Your AP will stripe huge amounts of HP from BBs if you catch their sides.  You also have access to Tier X German Hydro, the best Hydro in the game, as well as useful torpedo arcs, double torp launcher sets that fire out to 6km.  She is also pretty well protected for a CA, just don't bank on it when trading shots with BBs at range.  They can and will obliterate you.

Henri IV?  Very fast sailing CA, excellent AA capability, great, powerful guns.  Her HE has a ludicrous fire chance as each shell makes Zao's fire chance seem low.  Very proficient at range, with Engine Boost going, she's annoying a.f. to engage at range.  Henri IV truly excels under gunfire and trolling at range.  However, her protection, size are a detriment if she has to fight at short ranges.  She has torps, but they are token weapons, basically a cheap little 9mm to have at your waist, "just in case" and not a primary to feature.  Give Henri IV open water and she absolutely excels.  If you want to get close, she is the wrong ship.

[SPTR]
Members
26,351 posts
11,647 battles

you seem to state in the good cruiser list with key words "good/decent guns" and "maneuverability"

I would recommend you the Henri IV has the biggest guns of any T10 cruiser, HE damage ties with Zao for the highest dmg per shot and AP damage is unrivalled for now, Henri's speed doesn't let you down as she can max out at 44kts with engine boost active with speed flags.

I hope my thread of Henri IV replays of mine eagers you to get this massive speed demon: 

Edited by Rolkatsuki
Racker's reply to my comment

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,858 posts
6,889 battles
8 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

I would recommend you the Henri IV has the biggest guns of any T10 cruiser

Sorry, but had to fix that~

Graf Spee sails in the background

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles

Based on description, I would recommend Hindenburg- tho I've never driven one.  I have Zao, Mino and Moskva for Cruisers - they work for me.  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,710 posts

You know if your call is close... look at the ships leading to the one you think you want... do the math for the grinds... also check the forum and LWM for reviews of those ships. Sometimes the grind stinks but you tell yourself it's worth it. You get there and go uh, is this all it is? In such a case if you grind the right line for you, falling back to a T9 might make you happier. You just have to "make the call". 

Sign in to follow this