Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

USS Cassin Young in Boston

10 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
9,380 posts
18,758 battles

Well, the bloody ship wasn't open below decks, (what the heck is with my luck, always going to see Cassin Young when it's closed up for some reason; the last time I was in Boston they were closed because of winter weather...) above deck compartments were open; (except for the bridge superstructure,) so I still managed to get a few pictures;

Spoiler

Y5SVe4.jpg
DhgXQf.jpg
It9gdi.jpg

Metal Fishes... Free to cruisers, battleships, carriers, perhaps even the occasional destroyer in-game; and submarines as well in real life...

Spoiler

OwBwwR.jpg
DVCnGJ.jpg
eg2I2l.jpg

Galley, wardroom, gunhouse, upper handling room, and CIC...

Spoiler

lbvebf.jpg
Zz6B6Q.jpg
2C9CxZ.jpg
biqSo8.jpg
HeQVGL.jpg
5wPCrB.jpg

A few more exterior shots...

Spoiler

c1qDJd.jpg
g4u05s.jpg
LhM42r.jpg

Compared to our in game top/B-hull Fletcher; Cassin Young in her Cold War configuration drops the 4x2 40mm Bofors and a torpedo mount. In it's place is some kind of deckhouse with what looks like gun-directors for the new 2x4 Bofors mounts. As an additional detail; those mounts are forward of where the waist 2x2 Bofors are on our Fletchers, (just forward of the aft stack, as compared to directly beside the aft stack on the in-game Fletcher; a weight-and-balance issue perhaps?)

Spoiler

f9G63t.jpg
TPFRSL.jpg

The things I'll go through to get a picture... (Monument on top of Bunker Hill/Breed's Hill.)

Spoiler

Z21kHb.jpg
gNLFcz.jpg
wZOy4i.jpg

...and for anyone interested in such things; Drydock #1 in Charlestown Navy Yard. Still in use today. Notice the new cofferdam, and the old one moored nearby.

Spoiler

XPyNfv.jpg
FMAwyw.jpg
NNpaiu.jpg

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 10

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,625 battles

Very nice! I wonder if the Cassin Young as you see it now is what WG is trying to give us in the Kidd premium DD?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,697 posts
4,256 battles

Nice pictures! Always nice to see a museum ship! :Smile_great:

[5IN]
Members
1,917 posts
8,910 battles

I saw it in late 2015 and it was well worth the trip.  I thought you could arrange for below deck tours, but may be mistaken.  I would have loved to see her engine room.

B

[HINON]
Members
10,074 posts

Wonderful photos. I hadnt heard of the anti submarine torp. I noticed that wooden pier to the left of the drydock appears to be rotting away.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,327 posts
15,768 battles

Nice ... and thank you.

[FOXEH]
Members
280 posts
4,735 battles

Hey! Sorry for the late reply (hope this doesn't count as necro), but glad to see the ol' Young on here! I visited her and the Constitution early September... first time in Boston. My feet were so sore afterwards, but worth it!

I wasn't able to go belowdecks either (the ranger I asked told me the tours are only on the weekends?) But if you don't mind, I'll plop another photo or two (or four) to show that...

As a last note, Young is the only reason I want the Kidd in-game; they share that post-war layout.

2017-09-12 09.53.13.jpg

2017-09-12 10.00.02.jpg

2017-09-12 10.03.44.jpg

2017-09-12 10.21.39.jpg

Edited by SomemuttupNorth

Sign in to follow this