You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Khafni

Decision point - two 19 pt captain or Nelson?

10 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,625 battles

I am soon to be at a decision point. First off, my goal for most of this past year has been to get my captains up to 19 points. I have had some success with that and am on the verge of doing so with my Lo Yang and Atago captains. Within a week I will have enough free XP and captain XP to train both up. Training captains is never a bad thing.

My dilemma is that I will also have enough free XP to get the Nelson. She looks like a fun ship. Ugly, but oddly likable, and the 'zombie' feature intrigues me. But she is a BB.

My favorite ship class is DD followed closely by CL. I don't do as well in BB. Warspite was my very first ship in this game. I don't do her much justice and I have learned  how to play her (better?) the hard way. I am sub-par with her overall but have gotten better - especially after adding Arizona and Ishizuchi to my fleet from Santa crates. 

Maybe I should take the plunge. I am still sitting on the fence (and the dang pickets are beginning to hurt!)

I definitely welcome suggestions...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,817 posts
10,505 battles

Sounds like you answered your own analysis.

The 19 point captains will give you a benefit NOW, whereas the Nelson will always be there.

The Nelson won't be a benefit until you feel more proficient in that area.  Save it for this winter.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

Here is the way I see it. There is only one way to get the Nelson and that is by using FXP.  Captain can be trained using the Elite XP you earn with other captains plus just with the XP they earn through battling.  To me that means use the FXP on the Nelson and just keep grinding with the Captains.

19pt Captains are overrated(yes, great but overrated), most builds are pretty solid by the 16pt mark so as far as performance those extra final points are minimal as you should already have the most important skills and now your just picking up the extra skill that can be useful.  The best part of a 19pter is IMO that they start accumulating EXP that accelerated the growth of other captains (the more 19pters the more the captain growth really steamrolls).

The Nelson is a fun boat, the she trolls others pretty good.  That Zombie heal is a blast.

[5IN]
Members
1,917 posts
8,910 battles

If you want votes, go with the 19 point captains.  Once you get one, its like dominoes and the rest just start rolling in.  Since my first, I've gotten 5 or 6 more, and quite a few close.  

IMHO, the captain benefits outweigh a ship.  I don't think Nelson is going anywhere, so start saving the FXP again.  

Good luck mate, 

B

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
539 posts
5,184 battles

As Bassmasta76 said, once you have one 19pt Captain, it becomes easier to get another.  All you need to get the Nelson is more FXP, better Captains will get you more FXP.

[TBW]
Members
6,957 posts
12,885 battles

The Nelson makes good credits and is a little like the Dunkerque with the guns all up front. Free XP for use on your captains is kind of a waste to me. With signals and camos you can net over 20,000 captains XP on a good battle, yet free XP doesn't accrue as fast. Get the ship and start saving the free XP for the next free XP ship. As other people have stated once you have a 19 point captain they start to come quickly. More ships is more options for battle and Premium ships are how I got my 19 point Captains.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[RAGE]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,972 battles

Nelson. It's a bit difficult to get the first 19pt captain at the beginning. Once you have the first two 19pt captains, leveling up commander becomes very easy.

Top-rank captain gives you elite commander XP that you can apply to any other captain. If you put 19pt captains to T-10 ships it comes even more. And you can raise the second captain much, much faster (keep in mind that a 19pt captain in a T10 ship generates 3-4x more elite XP than a training captain in a T4 ship. If you have two 19pt captain generating elite XP the rate would at least tripled, and it keeps coming faster and faster.

Free XP is far more "expensive" than elite commander XP. Just play a few games and compare the commander XP and free XP income, and you will see it. Don't waste Free XP on your captain.

• Cool 1

Members
917 posts
9,402 battles
15 hours ago, simuo said:

Nelson. It's a bit difficult to get the first 19pt captain at the beginning. Once you have the first two 19pt captains, leveling up commander becomes very easy.

Top-rank captain gives you elite commander XP that you can apply to any other captain. If you put 19pt captains to T-10 ships it comes even more. And you can raise the second captain much, much faster (keep in mind that a 19pt captain in a T10 ship generates 3-4x more elite XP than a training captain in a T4 ship. If you have two 19pt captain generating elite XP the rate would at least tripled, and it keeps coming faster and faster.

Free XP is far more "expensive" than elite commander XP. Just play a few games and compare the commander XP and free XP income, and you will see it. Don't waste Free XP on your captain.

GOOD advice above posts, get the ship!  I have 10 or so 19 point captains and 1 million elite capt xp right now (for Yamamoto).  The captains really stack up and start to snowball the elite xp.  That will never happen with free  ship xp.  Also, there are a lot of ships that don't need 19 point captains, and the RN ships need the least points imo.  Neptune and Mino like 19 points, all below doesn't matter near as much.  The T10 ships benefit from 19 point capt usually, but my Zao has 16 or so, I'm in no hurry to hit 19...  

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,226 battles
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Here is the way I see it. There is only one way to get the Nelson and that is by using FXP.  Captain can be trained using the Elite XP you earn with other captains plus just with the XP they earn through battling.  To me that means use the FXP on the Nelson and just keep grinding with the Captains.

I agree with derr Kapitan and the others advocating getting the ship here.

You have some Elite Commander XP already, and at least one 19-point commander already. You should probably be noticing that Elite Commander XP builds much more quickly than Free XP. Free XP builds at a snail's pace. If you spend the Free XP on Commander points, it will be a long time before you're in a position to consider the Nelson again. If you spend the 375,000 Free XP on the Nelson, you can acquire the 375,000 in Elite Commander XP comparatively quickly.

Now, this reasoning assumes you orient your playing time toward maximizing Elite Commander XP accumulation. This can be done at no real penalty to Free XP accumulation.

Now, you probably know this, but offering this up for folks who aren't at this point with their captains yet, explaining: This means playing your 19-point commander repeatedly. Now, playing the same ship repeatedly might become monotonous for some, so it might not be for everybody. But, if your fleet supports running a 19-point commander through several ships (meaning premium ships), you can run him through those ships and create some play variety, and collect daily first-win XP bonuses on each of those ships, and continue to rotate him through them, and bag Elite Commander XP all day long.

I'm fortunate that my fleet is positioned reasonably well for this (not by design, but it works out well. Yay, Santa crates!) I have a 19-point German commander, and I can run him through his home ship (GK), Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, Prinz Eugen (ugh!), and even Konig Albert if I wanted too. I have one 19-point US commander, and his whirlwind tour presently consists of his home ship (North carolina), Missouri (lots of Missouri time), Alabama, Arizona, and Texas. If I was of a mind to level up a CA/DD US captain, Marblehead, Albany, Sims, and Atlanta stand at the ready.

Having spoken of German commanders, I feel like spending Free XP on high-level commander points is like the economy toward the end of the Weimar Republic (wheelbarrow full of money for a single loaf of bread and all that): Wheelbarrow of Free XP for a single commander point.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,250 posts
4,763 battles

Get one captain, then use that captain to make free xp to get the Nelson.  And use the elite captain xp to upgrade more Captains to 19pts.