You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anti_Asuna

A detailed analysis of the problem with Izumo's model in-game, and possible solutions

36 comments in this topic

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles
On 9/30/2017 at 10:15 PM, YamatoA150 said:

I'd be happy if they kept 4 triple 155 turrets on the C hull, in exchange for a slight loss in AA (mainly in the short and medium-range AA). I do agree that a Yamato-esque superstructure/secondary/AA upgrade would be a lot nicer and help populate the deck some. Tzoli has a similar take on a modernized A-140-J2 as well; also posted below, though if WG were to do something similar, I'd just cut down the number of short and medium range AA mounts while keeping the additional DP mounts on top of the 4 triple 155s.

mbd9OjU.png

I like this model a lot more than the one we have now.  

I agree, I think the biggest issue of this Izumo is that it looks so alien.  The superstructure is all sorts of round and bendy for no reason, and there is nothing on the deck.  At the same time, I feel that changing these features might affect gameplay.  Maybe not necessarily in a bad way, but these changes will have effects.  Increasing the size of the superstructure near the funnels leaves the ship more open to eating full pens in the superstructure like the Amagi does.  Adding a first and second level to the AA will increase the superstructure size that DD's can effectively damage.  Both of these while making the ship more visually appealing make it more vulnerable.  These might not necessarily be bad things, but they are things to keep in mind.

If it were up to me, I would like to see Tzoli's vision of a modernized A-140 mainly because it has a level deck.  The step up right at the second turret leaves a decent area that can be penned when trying to angle, and the stern of the Izumo is miserable with it being a basically a giant door.  At least in his, the door is a little smaller.

If WG decides to revise the model, I would be very excited to potentially see your changes.

Members
1,275 posts
776 battles

I've said this before on your Reddit thread (I'm assuming you're the same person).

The other problem I have is the comically close spacing of the guns in the main battery turrets. They look like something out of the 14" turrets from the USN standards, i.e. not individually sleeved (something that shouldn't be in any post-WNT BB design). The #2 turret barbette is also hilariously tall. The stern is also really rough looking with the hull protrusions not properly integrated or blended at all. It's almost as if someone extruded rectangles on CAD. Compare that with Yamato's stern.

Edited by DeliciousFart

Members
9 posts
5 battles
4 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I've said this before on your Reddit thread (I'm assuming you're the same person).

The other problem I have is the comically close spacing of the guns in the main battery turrets. They look like something out of the 14" turrets from the USN standards, i.e. not individually sleeved. The stern is also really rough looking with the hull protrusions not properly integrated or blended at all. It's almost as if someone extruded rectangles on CAD. Compare that with Yamato's stern.

Oh yeah I remember your post, the turret do look really strange I think it might be the problem with the turret being too small, rather than the placing of the guns. 

In regards to the stern, you are quite right, this is another one of those problems which arises from directly copying the sketch of the design. The yamato looks a lot better since the boat storage (the rectangular stuff on Izumo's stern) are intergrated in the hull. 

Supertester
1,496 posts
16 battles
On 30/09/2017 at 0:41 PM, Anti_Asuna said:

The Conqueror, Lion and the Monarch all resembles the Vanguard/KGV/modernised QE class’s sturdy bridge look, the secondary placement and the seaplane facility located between the two smoke stacks.

Not the Monarch. The Monarch is riddled with mistakes, but that is because it is a completely fake (WG made up - they say it is 15C, but that is cake) ship except for it's guns. The other ships also have features that are questionable. It may keep the same general look, but that is marred if you know the details.

Take the +1 for the nice write up however, Izumo is an old model that does need updating, though I doubt it is a WG priority given we still haven't got the Italians yet.

Though I do differ on the definitions on paper ships and the categories I would put them in, example being that Kurfurst is in the same category as Roon/Hindenberg.

• Cool 1

Members
1,275 posts
776 battles
12 hours ago, Trainspite said:

Not the Monarch. The Monarch is riddled with mistakes, but that is because it is a completely fake (WG made up - they say it is 15C, but that is cake) ship except for it's guns. The other ships also have features that are questionable. It may keep the same general look, but that is marred if you know the details.

Take the +1 for the nice write up however, Izumo is an old model that does need updating, though I doubt it is a WG priority given we still haven't got the Italians yet.

Though I do differ on the definitions on paper ships and the categories I would put them in, example being that Kurfurst is in the same category as Roon/Hindenberg.

I know Monarch is simply WG taking the KGV hull and grafting on the Nelson's turrets as well as slapping on 1950s lattice masts, which look pretty bizarre and out of place. I thought the Lions look fine though, it's almost exactly the 1938/1939 Lion, except for some additional AA, directors being oddly placed, and Vanguard style raked funnel caps.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,191 posts

I'm still planning on free XPing past Izumo to get Yamato. I don't think any changes that WG makes in the distant future is going to convince me to play this turd. IMO they should have just replaced Izumo with Musashi and be done with it.

Members
2 posts
1,934 battles

If Wargaming wants to keep Izumo as a paywall ship at tier 9, then perhaps there is a way to accomodate all interests...

What if once you unlock & purchase Yamato at T10, you are allowed to go back & refine Tier 9 technology to unlock 2 additional prototype hulls for the Tier 9 Super Izumo, these hulls should be drastically better in performance and aesthetics than Hull C,  to actually have a tremendously fun & competitive ship to play with.

Since you still have to go through the original paywall, and WG gets their money, they could really open up to superior design choices, this could work as a final prize or "token of good will" so to speak, for those resilient beings who actually went through the ordeal.

The best variants shown in this thread could be really fun to play with:

the_comparative_turret_layout_of_the_ijn

[LEGIT]
Members
1,529 posts
23,403 battles

Izumo.  The art decco masterpiece descended from outer space.

The coolest looking impractical ship in all the navies in WOWS.  Sparse decks are the most glaringly obvious tribute to this beauty's spare, emotive elegance.  Any more clutter on deck would mar the aesthetic beauty of the alien creation. 

[LEGIT]
Members
1,529 posts
23,403 battles
On 9/30/2017 at 7:45 AM, renegadestatuz said:
On 9/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, mofton said:

I always thought the purpose of the ship was to play deck tennis.

It isn’t?! :Smile_ohmy:

No.  Shuffleboard.  Just like those deck lines on some of the Russian ships as well.