You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Scrapyard_

Stop saying cash grab.

39 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
323 posts
6,504 battles

Let me say this first. Not one person is forcing you to spend money on this game. So many of you act like WG should not make any money/profit off this game. WG just to break even has to cover the cost of employees ( all of them not just the dev team ), the cost of servers, electric, building maintenance, water, taxes, advertising and much more. Then on top of that they have to make a profit. You have to consider how many who play this game spend money vs how many play for free. Do i think some of the premium ships are a bit pricey, sure, but i realize that they have to make money somehow and if not enough people are spending money it forces WG to charge more for other things. I may not like some of the things they do to make money, but i also realize that if they were not making money we would have not have this game to play. WG in the long run is a business that is out to make money and like i said before this is a free game and not one person is forcing you spend anything. 

Just my 2 cents like it or not. 

• Cool 6

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,625 battles

My wallet is open for the upcoming Julius Caeser...

• Cool 1

Members
2,746 posts
5,723 battles

WOW has done extremely well and is not in any position of a 'Break Even point' A while back ago WOW had bought out BIG WORLD for $42M and has steadily developed games which enhance its revenue.

As with any business..the players can detect a 'cash grab' as it is designed for players (which have the money) to purchase premium ships which in many ways seperates those players from the 'Free to Play' playerbase. This is the business model of ALL games rely on to survive nowadays.  Game companies KNOW now that special content will sell as long as its affordable and useful.  It is that after a while - a certain cycle of sales will always come up in order to peddle ships to the playerbase. Just how you name it all depends on your perspective.   Whether you call it a 'cash grab' or 'special sale' is all up to you. 

To WOW its one and the same...revenue enhancement

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,829 posts
10,586 battles
7 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Whether you call it a 'cash grab' or 'special sale' is all up to you.

OP's point is that the term 'cash grab' is used as a negative, disapproving term (which I think you understand).  WG has to make money to keep the lights on and the employees paid.  But, they have to make good profits in order for continuing to make these games worthwhile.  If they barely made enough money to cover expenses there would be no incentive to continue producing games.  I don't mind one bit (and in fact I hope they do) profit from it.  I think many premium ships are a bit over priced, and I have very little debt and a fair amount of spendable income.  I don't know how many people with much tighter budgets justify paying $50+ for a single ship.  But, I haven't done the market research or crunched the sales numbers, and I am sure WG has.

I understand a company needs to make profits, and don't begrudge them that.  I'll only use the term 'cash grab' in rare circumstances when it appears the company is trying to force players to spend money (e.g. 'pay to win') or restrict players from accessing certain content unless they spend money to do so (such as a large mission that requires the purchase of a premium ship to complete).  I don't have a problem with small missions specifically for premium ships, however.

[RKLES]
Members
8,284 posts
10,520 battles
1 hour ago, SeaBreeze_ said:

Let me say this first. Not one person is forcing you to spend money on this game. So many of you act like WG should not make any money/profit off this game. WG just to break even has to cover the cost of employees ( all of them not just the dev team ), the cost of servers, electric, building maintenance, water, taxes, advertising and much more. Then on top of that they have to make a profit. You have to consider how many who play this game spend money vs how many play for free. Do i think some of the premium ships are a bit pricey, sure, but i realize that they have to make money somehow and if not enough people are spending money it forces WG to charge more for other things. I may not like some of the things they do to make money, but i also realize that if they were not making money we would have not have this game to play. WG in the long run is a business that is out to make money and like i said before this is a free game and not one person is forcing you spend anything. 

Yeah and also creating Graphics like they have in their games is not cheap to do either.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,984 battles

@SeaBreeze_ I want to ask you how much money have you actually spent on this game?  How many premiums have you purchased?  And by the way I will call a cash grab, a cash grab because I can and because you are telling me to stop calling it a cash grab. lol.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
524 posts
2,496 battles

While some may argue that there's too many "cash-grab" posts, others would argue that some should check how much money Wargaming is making as pure profits go in a year and be amazed. This isn't five people in a garage trying to break even, this is a multi-million dollar business with a huge profit. I don't mind them making money as long as they're not trying to make it look like they're doing things from the goodness of their hearts, people will buy what they want and need, just don't make them out at the poor kids on the MMO-block 'cuz that won't fly.

• Cool 1

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,461 posts
8,988 battles

As a wallet warrior, I approve the OP's post. 

46 premium ships in port here including the trump boat!

I've literally lost count on what I've spent in support of this game, and I don't care.

I still enjoy it even as a pve scrub! =)

[USCC2]
Members
4,405 posts

I would assume people use the phrase 'cash grab' when they believe WG is introducing something new that, the person assessing it feels isn't value for money, or maybe they feel it isn't needed?

Cash grab is just someone's perception/opinion of a situation., so I guess if it's someones opinion then it's up to them whether they want to use it or not, not you. 

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,273 battles

Cash grab

Having a commander Respec sale weeks before you introduce content that means guys will have to Respec their Captains. This Respec was done BEFORE Beeeefore letting the community know they were taking a whole class of ships out of Clan Battles. That's a cash grab. They know guys will have to play there Captains with irrelevant skills or they will have to pay cash to Respec. The timing of the whole situation is indicative of the way WGing operates. Cash Grab.

Unfinished content, GZ was a hot mess and an obvious cash grab. The community however loudly and clearly called them out. Are you new? Were you just not around for that?

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,831 posts
7,976 battles

You said it somewere in your rant "I may not like some of the things they do to make money"

if you don't say something than they'll keep doing it of course there's the dooms players,who you could never please there will always be

But its a great game and enjoy it a lot and tell it like I see it ... my 2 cents

Members
20,705 posts
5,599 battles

I mean really, in this day and age, what isn't a cash grab?

I mean, every weekend during summer, all over North America, people set up their unwanted crap on their front lawn and try to score a few bucks, instead of donating it or paying to get rid of it.

And curbs are lined with cars, there's so many people looking to spend their money.

Edited by Skpstr

[RTR]
Beta Testers
306 posts
1,760 battles

They need to produce more German vessels. 

That's the only ship line I really care about and I have all the ones I really wanted (Spee, Scharn, Gnise, Tirp, Biz, Hipper and Eugen), a bunch I don't care so much about (Hood, Belfast, Sims, Moly, Murm, and Dunk) and a few unexpected joys (Atlanta, Yub, Gremy and Nelson).

Outside of premium (and that secret sale WG made for me of the Flint *cough*) I really don't know what else I can spend money on.

"Ooooo! Pretty colors that go on my ship?!"

*begins throwing money at monitor*

[DPG]
Members
1,097 posts
5,356 battles

A company adding items to sell is not a cash grab.  A cash grab is when a company adds something that the customer feels doesn't provide any real value.  A good example comes from a game I used to play often.  They added a special "loot box" that has a chance for rare items.  However, the keys can either be bought in the store for in game currency, or a random chance of one from a daily quest.  The boxes drop like candy at a parade.  In a situation like this the randomness of it all, coupled with the only reliable way to obtain the keys being a store, people considered it a cash grab.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles

So if me and my fraternity with 40 other guys want to be in a clan together, which isn't a large number, we should have to spend extra money to make a second clan that doesn't even have any connections as of now to avoid spending 2 or 3 months just to grind iut the 40 slot upgrade? (No my fraternity doesn't play but it's an example that could happen)

Members
20,705 posts
5,599 battles
1 hour ago, knice_destroyer said:

@SeaBreeze_ I want to ask you how much money have you actually spent on this game?  How many premiums have you purchased?  And by the way I will call a cash grab, a cash grab because I can and because you are telling me to stop calling it a cash grab. lol.

I've spent less than $100 on this game in over 2 years. I buy the smallest doubloon package every so often, usually when I have a 10+ point captain that needs retraining.

I like WG's payment model. I can spend as little or as much as I want.

As far as "cash grab", well, they can't force you to do anything, only encourage. If you don't feel it's a good value, don't spend. Whatever you think you are "forced" to get, there are thousands of players who don't get it, and don't feel they are lacking anything.

Members
20,705 posts
5,599 battles
33 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

So if me and my fraternity with 40 other guys want to be in a clan together, which isn't a large number, we should have to spend extra money to make a second clan that doesn't even have any connections as of now to avoid spending 2 or 3 months just to grind iut the 40 slot upgrade?

Since you asked, being as you can't pay to do it,  you should grind it out so you can all be in the same clan. It's not really a choice of whether or not you pay money, because each option gives you a distinctly different result.

WG tells you what you can do. Only you can tell you what you should do.

And they're still not forcing you to do anything.

Edited by Skpstr

[KMS]
Members
109 posts
14,407 battles
3 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

This post is a cash grab! :cap_haloween:

LOLZ - I resemble that remark -  :)

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles

You can play this game entirely for free. Also, unlike many "freemium" games, WOWS isn't necessarily pay-to-win (though one wonders if the Saipan comes awfully close when facing it with a Ranger). If you wish to have a locker full of flags without working for them, wish to have to convenience of playing tier IX and X ships without having to play lower tiers to stock up funds to pay for their service, or don't have the time or inclination to grind to a high tier ship or a 19-point commander, then you can pay for the convenience. Nobody is forcing you to spend money though.

[RE]
Members
109 posts
9,210 battles
3 hours ago, SeaBreeze_ said:

There's a time where a given company realizes it has no meaningful competitors and uses that to level it's investment by introducing new material by which incentivizes greater risk and investment from customers. There is a threshold between using that knowledge and putting out content which you may purchase semi-habitually and it's aesthetic or offers a new thing to play in game . . . versus an entire economic system.

Cash grab, I'd argue, applies here, since Oil (like Dilithium in Star Trek: Online) offers virtually a new currency system and purposes for grinding. It also offers little reward based on in-game grinding and rewards you far more if you pay for it instead. You *might* have a favorable exchange rate in game so to speak grinding oil for free over days, if not months, but that simply will not hold for "potatoes" like myself who have to work to help provide for the profit of the game

Yes, EA and 2kGames come to mind in this respect too. There's a difference between having the VC system or coins in Madden versus limiting the very ability to play the game or enjoy large features of it by introducing pay walls that must be ground out. There's a difference between profit and greed.

To be fair, I've had to study as part of my research thesis the psychology of reinforcing behaviors in gaming, which includes micro transactions and how starting a little incentives greater spending. Now there's no regulation or ethics that define the line between "Ok, this degree of habit forming is alright" versus "This is clearly a greed move". All I can point to in this case is that I'd feel justified in saying Clan Wars is a cash grab move, because it was similar to what Cryptic did in Star Trek: Online, similar to what EA did for Madden 18, or even Infinity Ward when attaching CoD 4 Remaster to Infinite Warfare. There's profit motive, then there's unnecessary binding of assets to compel your investors to buy; when no other options exist in a monopolistic setting.

[RE]
Members
109 posts
9,210 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You can play this game entirely for free. Also, unlike many "freemium" games, WOWS isn't necessarily pay-to-win (though one wonders if the Saipan comes awfully close when facing it with a Ranger). If you wish to have a locker full of flags without working for them, wish to have to convenience of playing tier IX and X ships without having to play lower tiers to stock up funds to pay for their service, or don't have the time or inclination to grind to a high tier ship or a 19-point commander, then you can pay for the convenience. Nobody is forcing you to spend money though.

I would add onto that, it's not pay-to-win at all, it's just that with the introduction of basically an entirely new economy and currency, there's obvious incentive now to simply load us up on containers that offer little reward we need (Oil) to encourage players to buy more. It's the move that killed Star Trek: Online.