You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bguthery

Just getting back into the game and had a question

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

I just came back and I use to be into carriers but I really wanted to move away and try something different. The issue is I can't really choose if I want to play either the Japanese or British BB lines, what are some pros/cons for each of their BB lines? I really like the idea of the HE on the British side and the idea of the long range for Japanese. Thanks for the help!

[HINON]
Members
10,074 posts

Well if you plan to go up the line you might want to base your decision on which ship as at the end of that line. So you would compare the conqueror to the yamato. The conq has the crazy HE shells and the ridiculous zombie heal to come back from the dead. The Yamato has the lol pen guns of mass destruction that can deal massive damage to everything and has a lot of HP as well as good torp belts etc. The other thing you could do since you havent played much is you could try out a line to say T5 and see what you think of those ships and then try the other line before you decide to go further.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
708 posts
5,806 battles

Go with the RN BBs for now. They are somewhat OP with the HE spam at the moment. Low tiers are a struggle but it begins to balance out at tier VI. Once you are into tier VII you'll have an awkward phase adjusting to the new play style. Tier VIII you will really start to see the AA capabilities of the ships then at tier IX and X you will really see the strength of the heals. Throughout the line you will see good looking ships, no odd ducks if you will. On top of this the HE capabilities will laugh at anything trying to bow tank you and if any CA shows you broadside you can easily punish them. I have never been a fan of IJN BBs because I feel they promote bad habits for the average BB player. No BB should snipe at long range regardless of its gun capability. BBs should be in the fight tanking and punishing. Plus, the USN BB and RN BB play very similarly only RN BBs have the better HE so they may be a good trainer if you want to go up the USN line also.

[SCCC]
Members
708 posts
5,806 battles

USN line is great. They are my most played ships. Slow at first but get right in and punish anything within 12km. Don't snipe. Go for the stealth build NC. Detection range of around 12km, good AA even stock, guns that will murder anything once you are used to the lead time, strong armor when used properly and when you have the right captain build you can make them very resilient. I was just in a match against tier VIII and IX German BBs fighting within two of their secondary ranges. With my build and proper armor use I was easily able to survive long enough to get help and even repair back to 3/4 health. The hardest ship you will have to manage through here is the Colorado but even she can be fun when used close range.

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
5 minutes ago, smf117 said:

USN line is great. They are my most played ships. Slow at first but get right in and punish anything within 12km. Don't snipe. Go for the stealth build NC. Detection range of around 12km, good AA even stock, guns that will murder anything once you are used to the lead time, strong armor when used properly and when you have the right captain build you can make them very resilient. I was just in a match against tier VIII and IX German BBs fighting within two of their secondary ranges. With my build and proper armor use I was easily able to survive long enough to get help and even repair back to 3/4 health. The hardest ship you will have to manage through here is the Colorado but even she can be fun when used close range.

Thanks, how do the Japanese and British lines play? And maybe how do the German BB's play?

[RKLES]
Members
8,272 posts
10,506 battles
48 minutes ago, bguthery said:

Thanks, how do the Japanese and British lines play? And maybe how do the German BB's play?

Japanese BBs each have a different flavor to them, but they pretty much all can do the long range fighting, they can brawl a little if needed, speed is decent on them, they have good pen and accuracy on their guns. Armor is adequate or good depending on which IJN ship you use. And if you get BFT and AFT Captain skills you can wing a few planes with your AA.

Fuso and Amagi also have broadside salvos that feel like a shot gun blast which is very useful for hitting long range ships or convincing a DD that it was a bad idea to sneak up on you. 

Germans you want to brawl in since Secondaries tend to be very good, armor is very good, and AA is good as well.

Downside is outside of 16km they are not all that accurate forcing you to fight mid range to close range in them.

You as will need to secondary spec them with equipment, and the BFT and AFT skills at minimum and on Bismarck you will want Manual Secondary Skill as well. The BFT and AFT skills also increase your AA making planes often reconsider getting close to you. Personally I have found I love brawling and letting main guns and Secondaries just tear enemy ships apart.

Both of these BB lines are excellent and I have used both heavily.

One more thing on Japanese BBs you want the Spotter plane to help with long range firing while on German BBs you will want the Catapult Fighter to assist with your AA since Spotter plane is virtually useless on German ships 

[RKLES]
Members
8,272 posts
10,506 battles

After you get some practice once again in the game consider using Cruisers as well since I started the game playing DDs and BBs while I learned and found Cruisers hard, but now I find I love playing Cruisers, they are like stealthier, faster firing, and more mobile BBs, granted they have less armor, but still fun.

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
24 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

After you get some practice once again in the game consider using Cruisers as well since I started the game playing DDs and BBs while I learned and found Cruisers hard, but now I find I love playing Cruisers, they are like stealthier, faster firing, and more mobile BBs, granted they have less armor, but still fun.

What lines do you like? The Russian and US lines for cruisers seem really interesting!

Members
1,393 posts
3,718 battles
2 hours ago, bguthery said:

I just came back and I use to be into carriers but I really wanted to move away and try something different. The issue is I can't really choose if I want to play either the Japanese or British BB lines, what are some pros/cons for each of their BB lines? I really like the idea of the HE on the British side and the idea of the long range for Japanese. Thanks for the help!

Do not do the brits.

He on a bb is simply nope.

The entire new brit bb line needs deleting in my view buy warspite or mutsu.

[VVV]
Members
390 posts
2,382 battles
3 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

He on a bb is simply nope.

I would actually counter that HE on a BB is a viable strategy in some points. Also, HE on a BB has always been a thing, but the British battleships on highlighted it and made everybody play it. Everybody has always written off HE on BBs as noob BB tactics, however, it can be useful at points. For instance, if your enemy is staying angled or to where you only get richochets or overpens, use HE for just a bit.

I am NOT saying HE on BBs is a good thing all the time, just situationally. Just that everybody wrote off HE as a noob tactic, but just like any other class, when you mix your shell types, then you can start doing awesome stuff.

Members
1,393 posts
3,718 battles
7 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

I would actually counter that HE on a BB is a viable strategy in some points. Also, HE on a BB has always been a thing, but the British battleships on highlighted it and made everybody play it. Everybody has always written off HE on BBs as noob BB tactics, however, it can be useful at points. For instance, if your enemy is staying angled or to where you only get richochets or overpens, use HE for just a bit.

I am NOT saying HE on BBs is a good thing all the time, just situationally. Just that everybody wrote off HE as a noob tactic, but just like any other class, when you mix your shell types, then you can start doing awesome stuff.

He on all bb main guns should be banned and he placed only on secondary guns.

Also the bb popping into view close to your ship is getting out of hand.

I was in my cruiser nothing detected me then all of a sudden a queen elizabeth popped into view close to me and instantly fired on me deleting me undetected,

The popup invisible bb is getting silly now.

[RKLES]
Members
8,272 posts
10,506 battles
1 hour ago, bguthery said:

What lines do you like? The Russian and US lines for cruisers seem really interesting!

My favorite is the Japanese and have enjoyed every ship on the line so far and expect to like the rest as well. 

Nice thing about Japanese Cruisers is they are heavy Cruisers once you hit tier 5 so you get better armor against glancing hits and all of them are typically best Cruisers at setting fire to enemy ships, but almost all Cruisers have decent fire chances except the British Cruisers with exception of Belfast which dies get the HE shells.

As you progress up the line the torpedoess are a little awkwardly placed in the rear so you usually have to use them at the right opportunities instead of just trying to use them, but from tier VI and up they have 10km range Torpedoes so very nice surprise for enemy. AA is ok for self defense, but is not as AA strong as the other lines. Also their stealth tends to be good as well.

Also been working on German and US Cruises and liking them for the most part, but with those lines you can hit a little trouble feels like in middle tiers, but lower and higher tiers are good from what I have heard.

German Cruisers are well armored up to tier 4 then tiers 5-7 seem to be lightly armored, but AA progressively gets better and guns have long range for a Cruiser. And at tier 8 and up they are heavy Cruisers and feature good AA. All the German Cruisers from tier IV and up get torpedoes as well.

USN Cruisers lose torpedoes at tier 6 and start having amazing AA guns that enemy planes will usually fear and that your allies will like having around. 

French Cruisers I have not really decided how much use they will be for me yet, but their guns do seem rather accurate in the very least.

British Cruisers require higher skill to use since the armor is weaker and they only get AP shells to use so you can't light fires.

Have not done any of the Russian ships so can't really say much about them.

Main concern with Cruisers is not to just sit there broadside since they will take very painfully Citadel hits, but usually ok as long as you dinge incomng fire when possible or take hits while angled. I often lurk on areas with islands for better protection or if getting shot at out in the opens I swerve from side to side some to make me harder to hit kind of like a DD often will do and something BBs usually struggle to be able to do.

[SCCC]
Members
708 posts
5,806 battles
16 hours ago, bguthery said:

17 hours ago, smf117 said:

Go with the RN BBs for now. They are somewhat OP with the HE spam at the moment. Low tiers are a struggle but it begins to balance out at tier VI. Once you are into tier VII you'll have an awkward phase adjusting to the new play style. Tier VIII you will really start to see the AA capabilities of the ships then at tier IX and X you will really see the strength of the heals. Throughout the line you will see good looking ships, no odd ducks if you will. On top of this the HE capabilities will laugh at anything trying to bow tank you and if any CA shows you broadside you can easily punish them. I have never been a fan of IJN BBs because I feel they promote bad habits for the average BB player. No BB should snipe at long range regardless of its gun capability. BBs should be in the fight tanking and punishing. Plus, the USN BB and RN BB play very similarly only RN BBs have the better HE so they may be a good trainer if you want to go up the USN line also.

I feel like this sums up an answer pretty well. German BBs are fun and are the most forgiving line to play. Starting at tier 5 the ships get quite competitive and so long as you take the same captain up the line to tier VIII you can build up to the proper secondary build. It pushes your secondary range out to 11.3km. It's like having a USN DD strapped to the side of a BB and its extremely hard for enemy ships to hit your citadel. The main guns have good range bur terrible accuracy so the same rule applies to these BBs that applies to most others. Get in close. Keep the reds within secondary range. Use your armor and manage your consumables to tank damage for the team.

[FACT]
Members
525 posts
6,115 battles
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, abyssofthetriffid said:

He on all bb main guns should be banned and he placed only on secondary guns.

Also the bb popping into view close to your ship is getting out of hand.

I was in my cruiser nothing detected me then all of a sudden a queen elizabeth popped into view close to me and instantly fired on me deleting me undetected,

The popup invisible bb is getting silly now.

I do not agree that all BB main guns should be banned from HE use, but something needs to be done about the RN BB,s He they are way OP. The rest absolute agreement, I have had the QE and the Lion pop up next to me and scribble me before I could even hit the keyboard.