You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GuntherPrein

Its getting way to easy to shoot DD

72 comments in this topic

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,419 battles

allright wargaming can we get a little more dispersion maybe or could we get original scaling for DD so its not quite so easy to delete them from 16 km away I got no probs hitting them with my Atago at max range or my Hindenberg from 18 km out and it gets quite stupid to lose in a knife fight you just dominated other DD because an N.Carolina hits you with armor piercing from 16 km out and deletes you from near full health. Will you maybe look at armor piercing make it so friggin BB have to change ammo at least

• Cool 2

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,419 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Tell me about it--DDs that keep turning randomly are difficult to hit.

LOOL do you think I am driving straight?? I hit DD turning no probs infact I like it when they do cause it seems easier once you know their turning radius because they slow down during turn, I get hit the least driving straight with speed boost on

[WOLF1]
Members
4,006 posts
8 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

LOOL do you think I am driving straight?? I hit DD turning no probs infact I like it when they do cause it seems easier once you know their turning radius because they slow down during turn, I get hit the least driving straight with speed boost on

I just popped out of smoke at 2.5 km from a BB...his secondaries hit me twice with HE, no major damage, and he ate 8 torps while I circled him faster than he could traverse his turrets and died.   Doesn't seem fair to him, really! 

Edited by mavfin87

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,419 battles
2 minutes ago, Batwingsix said:

:Smile_popcorn:

glad you brought popcorn at least if you got nothing to say lool

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,419 battles
32 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

They actually are thinking of changing BB AP interactions with DD's so you may get your wish.

cool I hope they look at it I know taking AP lengthwise is bad idea but lately it just don't seem to matter most times. I am pretty gud at staying stealthy but eventually you have to fire your guns without smoke or using islands to block LOS.

If I am playing IJN DD then its just don't fire guns unless you have  numbers advantage and our enemy is fleeing, smoke just gets you busted up with IJN unless you playing Akazuki

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts
35 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

They actually are thinking of changing BB AP interactions with DD's so you may get your wish.

I still have trouble with AP, especially that from large battleships, being so weak against DDs. I don't care if the round explodes or not, a 16-inch shell, even if it hits nothing else of significance will put a 16-inch hole in the bottom of your destroyer. Two or three of those and you will sink like a rock, explosion or not. In my opinion, a hull penetration caused by plunging fire should cause flooding in unarmored ships.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,807 battles

I really do wish that they would increase all dispersion by a good number. I mean it's sure as hell gratifying landing all but one shell on a battleship with my nelson, but cmon. I wish this was a tad bit more realistic.

Also I know unpopular opinion, but I wish that the 2nd guns had much longer range but really bad dispersion. Limiting my secondaries to 4 km, or speccing heavily to 6km is meh.

[TOAST]
Members
958 posts
8,227 battles

Funny... I was shamed for suggesting that it's possible to wreck a DD with a good volley. Apparently I'm the dumb one for thinking it's possible to delete a DD in that way. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile-_tongue:  The guy even went so far as to tell me that BB were incapable of doing this. :Smile_medal:

• Cool 3

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Take a look at almost any replay/vid on YouTube. It's littered with proof how OP BB AP is.

Not matter what angle, or distance the DD is at.

WG is still looking into it though. We've had lots of discussions on BB AP/HE and changes that could be made.

If they've mentioned it openly, they see some issue with it from the numbers that they can only see.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,169 battles

Dispersion actually can INCREASE the ability of a BB to hit a dodging DD at range.  If the BB captain aims on the DD vector, which is subsequently changed by the DD captain, then an otherwise accurate aim (without dispersion) will miss.  With dispersion,it might just hit.  When I shoot at a DD at range, it's all about saturation fire.  I will add my own dispersion with each turret, for a shotgun effect.  Again, dispersion really isn't an issue here because my own "shot gun" dispersion is probably greater than the aim dispersion.

That saturation effect is compounded if multiple friendlies join in the shooting.  The chance of any one player's shot hitting is small.  But add 'em all up..spread out over multiple vectors, and someone will get a hit.  Gang shooting works.

• Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,807 battles
9 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Funny... I was shamed for suggesting that it's possible to wreck a DD with a good volley. Apparently I'm the dumb one for thinking it's possible to delete a DD in that way. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile-_tongue:  The guy even went so far as to tell me that BB were incapable of doing this. :Smile_medal:

British battleships excel at this. You know how many DD i've deleted as a nelson / Conqueror for sailing too close to me in a single volley? lol

[TOAST]
Members
958 posts
8,227 battles
2 minutes ago, Merlox said:

British battleships excel at this. You know how many DD i've deleted as a nelson / Conqueror for sailing too close to me in a single volley? lol

Oh gawd. The Nelson is scary in that regard. That accuracy is  :Smile_ohmy: The HE salvo seems to morph into a dirty, hard-packed, flaming snowball in mid flight.:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Vekta408

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I haven't played the higher tier destroyers yet so I have no idea how difficult they are. I will say this though.. I have trouble hitting destroyers in battleships. That, and I almost never do more than 25% of their HP in a single salvo.

Members
461 posts

I enjoy taking out my Tirpitz because the secondaries are bonkers, but think that something has to be done about them. Don't get me wrong, I love chewing up a DD if it gets within 11km. The problem is that - and I know that this is a game and that believe should be suspended - there's no way a crew could keep up the rate of secondary fire for that long. It's exhausting. First, the fire should be incredible inaccurate because you are a small gun firing at a small target in uneven seas. Second, there's no way you could fire that many round without passing out. Secondaries didn't have autoloaders. I wouldn't be against WG creating a consumable for increased secondary rate of fire, rather than give some BBs insane secondaries all the time.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,006 posts
32 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Dispersion actually can INCREASE the ability of a BB to hit a dodging DD at range.  If the BB captain aims on the DD vector, which is subsequently changed by the DD captain, then an otherwise accurate aim (without dispersion) will miss.  With dispersion,it might just hit.  When I shoot at a DD at range, it's all about saturation fire.  I will add my own dispersion with each turret, for a shotgun effect.  Again, dispersion really isn't an issue here because my own "shot gun" dispersion is probably greater than the aim dispersion.

That saturation effect is compounded if multiple friendlies join in the shooting.  The chance of any one player's shot hitting is small.  But add 'em all up..spread out over multiple vectors, and someone will get a hit.  Gang shooting works.

Yeah, if 3 of us are all shooting at a DD, cruisers included, he can't dodge all of us.  But unless someone's in close, it'll take more than one to kill them, unless we're really lucky.  That's when you turn up the pressure and put some torps in his path, too.  Pressure, and more pressure.  He'll either eat a torp, get hit, or hit smoke and boost and run away.  

If I'm in the DD, I run if there's a way to do so.  You're not capping anything if you're dead.

OTOH, if you let a cruiser within 5 km, you better hope your torps can get him, or he doesn't know how to shoot.  

Edited by mavfin87

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,012 posts
6,980 battles

Actually it is far easier to hit a target if you have dispersion. Take Yuubari for example, she has perhabs the most accurate guns in the game. If you fire with the Yuubari and your aim was off by a few meters, all of your shells will miss. However if we switch now to a ship that has some dispersion like a Battleship, your aim can be off and you can still score hits,