You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArnoldSchoenberg

FDG vs Kurfust?

36 comments in this topic

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
9,515 battles

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a very good player, but I did, and still do perform much better with FDG than with GK.  I have no clue as to why, but I am trying to figure it out.  Needless to say, I kept FDG, and am glad that I did.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,063 posts

First time up the tree, probably not. Your FDG commander generally goes with the grind. Should be at least 15 points by now if not more. You want your best commander in the GK - currently - spec'd out for manual secondaries. 

Also if you have the Tirpitz - or another premium German ship - it makes life much, much easier, especially when grinding out other commanders. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[DARTH]
Members
549 posts
13,130 battles

I really enjoyed mine, so I kept her after getting GK.  I also have friends who don't have Tier X ships yet, so she's a handy boat for divisioning with them.

(On the other hand, I can see someone who didn't enjoy her selling her off...)

Members
1,019 posts
8,415 battles
Just now, USSRichardNixon said:

But how about high point captains? 

Well you first need to lvl up a capt to 19 pts so stick with it with the ship you use the most.

If u ask me what would I play any given day between those 2 I'd go GK all day long.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,768 posts
15,546 battles

I kept Big Fred. Which is even more telling as tier 9 and me really don't get along and Big Fred is the only T9 that I kept so far.

[SALVO]
Members
22,420 posts
22,859 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

I kept Big Fred. Which is even more telling as tier 9 and me really don't get along and Big Fred is the only T9 that I kept so far.

I usually sell my tier 9's.  I kept my Fletcher, and will probably keep the Iowa, at least until I get the Missouri (if I ever do).

As for the FDG, were it named anything else, chances are that I'd sell it.  But I may have a hard time bringing myself to sell a name with my name on it.

Edited by Crucis

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
10,220 battles

Only have a few battles with Freddy but not looking like a keeper.  That said, I have several other T9s (MO, Fletcher, Yugumo) so I don't need her to div with other players.  Also, I am keeping my Bismark with her 16 pt captain and am leveling up another for the Freddy/GK so even if I keep her (based on what my credit situation looks like when I do finish this ~360K XP grind) it is unlikely that she would see anything other than my port.

[SYN]
Members
8,034 posts
12,542 battles

I think FDG is rubbish and have basically given up on the grind. So personally, I wouldn't.

Members
4,150 posts
9,281 battles

I sold it and the Izumo as I wanted the cash and captain for the tier Xs that beckoned. I'll get both back when they are on sale. FdG in particular is a well-rounded ship at tier IX (see Flamu's review if you haven't).

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,592 posts
11,544 battles

I liked and kept the Bismarck, but I am just not feeling the love for the Big Fred.

Waiting for the clan to get enough oil to build the German research building so I can finish the grind in slightly fewer games.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
137 posts
8,027 battles
31 minutes ago, Lert said:

Didn't keep the Missouri?  ?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,768 posts
15,546 battles
2 minutes ago, Hystarr said:

Didn't keep the Missouri?  ?

Never got one. I hated Iowa, no way in hell am I going to spend 75k free XP on an overrated clone of it, let alone 750k.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,844 posts
31,400 battles

FDG and Kurfurst are dissimilar ships.  FDG handles much better - less like a giant island with mega guns. But Kurfurst has 12 rifles...

Some ships work for me and others are like a lemon car. Lemons get sold fast, like Pensacola for example. Fiji was the complete opposite. She works. Great. Some ship lines have oddballs which I have to keep. Akizuki is an extreme case, but I really like the Z-23 with the 150mm guns too. Then there are ships which are very similar to their succesor(s) only worse. I sold Ibuki before I outfitted the Zao. I kept the Dmitri Donskoi because she's great at Tier 9 and similar to other Russian CLs. Moskva is unlike anything else in game (and I haven't figured out how to fit my play style for him yet). 

Going up the German BB line I kept Nassau, Konig, Bismarck, Friedrich der Grosse, and Kurfurst. I do much better in the FDG than the Kurfurst. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,768 posts
15,546 battles
Just now, USSRichardNixon said:

I hate Iowa but love Missouri.

Why? The only 'major' difference in gameplay is that Mo has radar.

Beta Testers
137 posts
8,027 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

Why? The only 'major' difference in gameplay is that Mo has radar.

As a player that struggled to keep credits on hand, even running premium account the Mighty Mo' has been well worth the free XP I put into her.  IMO that is, but to each their own.  Now my only issue is was it really worth the upgrade I did on my FDG to the 420's....so far my results have been seemingly worse overall from the 406's.....I guess maybe an adjustment needs to be done play style to use the bigger guns effectively?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,768 posts
15,546 battles
1 minute ago, Hystarr said:

As a player that struggled to keep credits on hand

I'm swimming in credits, so that's no reason for me to want Mo.

1 minute ago, Hystarr said:

Now my only issue is was it really worth the upgrade I did on my FDG to the 420's....

Use whichever guns you like best. Opinions are divided. Both are good guns.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
16,841 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

As for the FDG, were it named anything else, chances are that I'd sell it.  But I may have a hard time bringing myself to sell a name with my name on it.

Your name is "der"?  Did your parents hate you?  :Smile-_tongue:

[SALVO]
Members
22,420 posts
22,859 battles
Just now, DreadRaybo said:

Your name is "der"?  Did your parents hate you?  :Smile-_tongue:

Troll.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,886 posts
17,544 battles

Fat Freddy De Goober is an excellent ship and probably a keeper.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,886 posts
17,544 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I really like the Z-23 with the 150mm guns too.

are you in for a wonderful surprise at tiers 9 and 10!