Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dilbert

Fredrick der Grobe 406mm vs 420mm guns

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

326
[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
10,220 battles

I just unlocked the Fredrick der Grobe and I am looking for feedback on which main battery guns are better.  What I am really looking to understand is if the 420mm guns overmatch any armor?  Meaning which, if any, ships will the 420mm guns automatically pen that the 406mm won't?  Because it seems to me that without additional overmatch then the higher damage possibilities don't offset the 3.6 second slower reload.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,103
[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,947 posts
11,440 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Dilbert said:

I just unlocked the Fredrick der Grobe and I am looking for feedback on which main battery guns are better.  What I am really looking to understand is if the 420mm guns overmatch any armor?  Meaning which, if any, ships will the 420mm guns automatically pen that the 406mm won't?  Because it seems to me that without additional overmatch then the higher damage possibilities don't offset the 3.6 second slower reload.

 

Thanks in advance.

 The 406s have 850mm of pen up close, and worse pen at range, the 420s have slightly less up close and are better at range. Personally i go for the higher alpha to leave less low hp targets and so I can fight other bbs effectively at range. Anything over 700 is more than adequate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,103
[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,947 posts
11,440 battles

The 420s also Allow you to citadel British cruisers with HE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,370
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,428 battles

 Can people please stop calling is Grober? That thing which looks like a B stands for a double S. Grosser, which translates to "Great" is the droid you're looking for. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,241 posts
10,580 battles

On FDG I seemed to have the best luck with the 406's.  With the 420's I had entire games with 40-50 overpens and not a single solid penetration.  Oddly, my experience was not duplicated in GK, and I roll with 420's with her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[-B2P-]
Members
1,662 posts
20,460 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

 Can people please stop calling is Grober? That thing which looks like a B stands for a double S. Grosser, which translates to "Great" is the droid you're looking for. 

Don't bother. Even when I was in German class, there were people that refused to learn this.

Reading from the textbook: "ich heiße Hans Müller" coming out like "itch haybeh Hans Muhller"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
827
[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

I dont know why, but i have more success using the 420 mm guns. It just feels better to me, cant expain why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324
[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts

420 is what I use. Much easier to take care of those targets that show a broadside that are a bit further away than you'd usually prefer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,019 posts
8,415 battles

406's with reload module is what I feel I perform the best.

 

 when adrenaline rush kicks in, its in the 21-22 sec reload range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,483
[-K-]
Members
7,079 posts
11,622 battles

Interesting question, as I was about to post the same thing today.  Only about 10-15 games into FDG, and I run the 406's.  They do seem somewhat underwhelming at T9 compared to the same guns as Bismarck at T8.

 

Still trying to find the sweet spot for a build with this ship.  Not a huge fan of a full out secondary build, so I'm considering a full tank build to see how much better that may or may not work out.

 

What build do you guys run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326
[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
10,220 battles

I am running a hybrid build.  Adrenaline Rush instead of EM and have AFT (only 10 pt captain at this point as I really liked the Bismark so I am keeping my 16 pt captain there and will move this captain to the GK.  I did take the Secondary Battery Mod 2 upgrade then Main Battery Mod 3.  Since I have a significant grind a head before getting my next 4 captains points it will be an interesting experience to see if the next 4 points will be Man Secondaries or Concealment.  Also with all the UK BB HE spam I may decide to forgo one of the previous perks and take Fire Prevention instead....we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,248
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,050 posts
4,848 battles

420's all day long.

 

When you can basically instakill a Zao with HE you're rolling hard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
567
[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles
1 hour ago, Xlap said:

I dont know why, but i have more success using the 420 mm guns. It just feels better to me, cant expain why.

 

I've been running the 420s for a long time but tried out the 406s again on the test server. For whatever reason the 420s seem a bit more accurate to me. 

Tank build with AFT for secondaries. At Tier 9 main gun accuracy is much more important to me than secondary range but YMMV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,094
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,025 posts
12,528 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Still trying to find the sweet spot for a build with this ship.  Not a huge fan of a full out secondary build, so I'm considering a full tank build to see how much better that may or may not work out.

I was running secondary build, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

The secondary suite is poor by T9, it's the same firepower as Scharnhorst's only with longer range. On the downside you're seeing T10 with a 0.5 fire coefficient instead of T5 with 0.83, WG just smashed the fire chance on the 105mm's and 105mm goes from not penetrating much at T7, to only able to penetrate destroyer superstructures at T8+.

Tank or CE may be happier. It's not like your secondaries disappear if you don't have MFCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,296 posts
867 battles

I get triggered so hard when someone writes "Grobe" instead of "Grosse". As other have said, that B looking character in German is a double s. For my sanity's sake just fix it.

Edited by DeliciousFart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,805
[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,363 battles
3 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I get triggered so hard when someone writes "Grobe" instead of "Grosse". As other have said, that B looking character in German is a double s. For my sanity's sake just fix it.

Grober

Hue

:Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[SIMP]
Members
1,061 posts
9,375 battles
4 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I get triggered so hard when someone writes "Grobe" instead of "Grosse". As other have said, that B looking character in German is a double s. For my sanity's sake just fix it.

Grobe Grobe Grobe Grobe Grobe

 

Its all Grobe to meeeeeeeeee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,296 posts
867 battles
3 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Grober

Hue

:Smile_trollface:

 

1 minute ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Grobe Grobe Grobe Grobe Grobe

 

Its all Grobe to meeeeeeeeee

source.gif

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
727
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

I run a full secondary/survivability build on kurfurst with the 420s. Never really enjoyed the 406s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
565 posts
13,243 battles

Didn't iChase do a you tube video test on this very subject, and found the 406's actually delivered slightly more damage than the 420's?  I think he said both viable but...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
203 posts
7,194 battles
3 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

The 420s also Allow you to citadel British cruisers with HE

 

Not to argue for against either choice, but this at least should not be a reason, because the only British cruiser the 420s citadel with HE that the 406s cannot is the Neptune. Fiji/Edinburgh have 114mm citadel belts, and thus don't get citadeled by either, and Minotaur has a mere 101mm one, so even the 406s can citadel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,370
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,428 battles

AP will cit them all and do a hell of a lot more damage in the process...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
550
[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,093 posts
6,258 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Dilbert said:

I am running a hybrid build.  Adrenaline Rush instead of EM and have AFT (only 10 pt captain at this point as I really liked the Bismark so I am keeping my 16 pt captain there and will move this captain to the GK.  I did take the Secondary Battery Mod 2 upgrade then Main Battery Mod 3.  Since I have a significant grind a head before getting my next 4 captains points it will be an interesting experience to see if the next 4 points will be Man Secondaries or Concealment.  Also with all the UK BB HE spam I may decide to forgo one of the previous perks and take Fire Prevention instead....we shall see.

 

forget concealment, you'll still be seen from space. For me its all about survival, which is a mix of secondaries, AA and damage control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×