You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

Armada: HMS King George V.

28 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,622 battles

Hi guys!

New Armada is out! 

And for my favorite ship of the line no less! :cap_tea:

[REVY]
Members
6,174 posts
5,164 battles

Watching it now.  Thank god she wasn't take out of the tech tree line!

I really feel like the narrator could use a cup of coffee, he sounds bored in this video, and the last few he did.  This is a far cry from when he narrated the Yamato Armada video, you could tell he was hyped.

Maybe it's the music, they had epic music for Yamato, here, the KGV music is quiet and very sedate.

Edited by Sventex

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,622 battles

Aaaand the video called KGV and Scharnhorst battlecruisers...Facepalm

Members
74 posts
11,488 battles

Better AA on KGV what a joke.  QE AA is vastly better at tier 6.  WG screwed the AA on the KGV like they did with her AP shells also.     Now its HE all the time baby  what a joke.  And that make me sad.     

[REVY]
Members
6,174 posts
5,164 battles
7 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Aaaand the video called KGV and Scharnhorst battlecruisers...Facepalm

We really need to come up with a term for Battleships that sacrifice armament for speed.

I hereby invent the term Battle-Razee.  A capital ship with heavy armor, fast speed and relatively small guns.

I based this off the sailing ship type.

A razee or razée /rəˈziː/[1] is a sailing ship that has been cut down (razeed) to reduce the number of decks.

Edited by Sventex

[RKLES]
Members
10,313 posts
12,000 battles
6 minutes ago, Orca86 said:

Better AA on KGV what a joke.  QE AA is vastly better at tier 6.  WG screwed the AA on the KGV like they did with her AP shells also.     Now its HE all the time baby  what a joke.  And that make me sad.     

Maybe they made a mistake and saw designation as BattleCruiser they gave them Cruiser like HE?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,795 posts
4,052 battles

I find it slightly humorous that it the narrator, and possibly the video editor, felt that the KGV class wasn't all that great, going by the bored delivery and lackluster music. Granted, I may also be biased simply because I feel the design is lacking, but it came across as such.

Isn't the KGV's AA closer to its as-built rather than as refitted? I seem to recall that during the shift, some of KGV's AA refit was shifted over to Monarch.

[REVY]
Members
6,174 posts
5,164 battles
4 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I find it slightly humorous that it the narrator, and possibly the video editor, felt that the KGV class wasn't all that great, going by the bored delivery and lackluster music. Granted, I may also be biased simply because I feel the design is lacking, but it came across as such.

Isn't the KGV's AA closer to its as-built rather than as refitted? I seem to recall that during the shift, some of KGV's AA refit was shifted over to Monarch.

I got the same impression as well.  You'd think the editor would at least include some in-game recreation of the Battleship duels the class actually fought to increase the hype.  40 seconds into the Yamato video, the ship was getting annihilated in Operation Ten-Go set to sad music.  Now that grabs your attention.  Here we just get a dry description of the ship, with little history over the battles fought. 

Heck, just recreating the destruction of Force Z would have been a great opening for the video!

Edited by Sventex

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,089 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Maybe they made a mistake and saw designation as BattleCruiser they gave them Cruiser like HE?

Except she wasn’t a battlecruiser and was never designated as one. So how could they have made that mistake then?

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,622 battles
4 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Heck, just recreating the destruction of Force Z would have been a great opening for the video!

Yeah, and Hood could have stood in for Repulse!

Alpha Tester
2,424 posts
6 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I got the same impression as well.  You'd think the editor would at least include some in-game recreation of the Battleship duels the class actually fought to increase the hype.  40 seconds into the Yamato video, the ship was getting annihilated in Operation Ten-Go set to sad music.  Now that grabs your attention.  Here we just get a dry description of the ship, with little history over the battles fought. 

Maybe they're saving such a video for Prince of Wales?

[RKLES]
Members
10,313 posts
12,000 battles
1 minute ago, renegadestatuz said:

Except she wasn’t a battlecruiser and was never designated as one. So how could they have made that mistake then?

Looks at Wargamng Dev team... Need I say more?

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
18 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

It's not even whatshe launched with actually. I tell a slight lie, i thought she launched with the 2 quad bofors but they came quite a bit later than i thought, it' still a seriosu frankenfit. It's a frankenfit using some late war bits, (mostly the 20mm afaik), with elements of her as launch but not all.

Monarch has an AAA fit thats basically AFAIK what was planned but never carried out post war for KGV. The various testing versions of KGV never had the Monarch fitment, but they did have acceptable T7 AAA as they had her end of war fit.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,795 posts
4,052 battles
16 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Maybe they're still exhausted or traumatized by the extended tiering/balancing drama from the KGV placement. :cap_book: In before "But the video creators don't work on the coding/database edits!"

Semi-seriously, maybe they have Repulse in the plans and are waiting to do another double-ship release alongside a PoW, both of them with the gimmicks of being proper normal RN BBs (ok; RN BB and RN BC) akin to Warspite rather than the RN BB line, before they do a Force Z reenactment. Balanced shell performance (no short-fuse AP, but maybe improved normalization just on PoW's 14"), no HE shell flamethrowers, reasonable secondary range, reasonable AA ranges (if any), Warspite Heal (rather than RNCL Hyper Heal, before refining the balance), and just leaving the buffed traverse as the main buff (45s rather than 55s or 72s). With minor buffs probably to repair party (back to Hyper Heals if necessary; for the both of them as PoW was less upgraded and Repulse a BC) and to secondary ranges should they need it (PoW probably, given it was less-upgraded). They could also reuse Hood's AADF for PoW, as she also carried the UP launchers.

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
3 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Maybe they're still exhausted or traumatized by the extended tiering/balancing drama from the KGV placement. :cap_book: In before "But the video creators don't work on the coding/database edits!"

Semi-seriously, maybe they have Repulse in the plans and are waiting to do another double-ship release alongside a PoW, both of them with the gimmicks of being proper normal RN BBs (ok; RN BB and RN BC) akin to Warspite rather than the RN BB line, before they do a Force Z reenactment. Balanced shell performance (no short-fuse AP, but maybe improved normalization just on PoW's 14"), no HE shell flamethrowers, reasonable secondary range, reasonable AA ranges (if any), Warspite Heal (rather than RNCL Hyper Heal, before refining the balance), and just leaving the buffed traverse as the main buff (45s rather than 55s or 72s). With minor buffs probably to repair party (back to Hyper Heals if necessary; for the both of them as PoW was less upgraded and Repulse a BC) and to secondary ranges should they need it (PoW probably, given it was less-upgraded). They could also reuse Hood's AADF for PoW, as she also carried the UP launchers.

The UP launchers where long gone by Force Z, she traded them in for 2 more octupole pom-poms, (bringing her to 6), and 7 single 20mm plus new radars. So the AAA would actually be worse than KGV.

And don't hold your breath on the HE, or the AP, neither of them is a-historically buffed/nerfed like KM AP/HE is. It's just a fact that the RN had mostly amazing HE and terrible AP

[REVY]
Members
6,174 posts
5,164 battles
8 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

What I do find interesting is that the Armada Yamato video talks about the REAL Yamato.  They explain how much steel went into her construction, why she has a high bow with a sag in the middle, that her engines burn 62 tons of fuel per hour, and the ship was torn apart by 400 aircraft ect. ect.  In contrast, this video talks almost entirely about the in-game ship.  The video even ends with

"King George was build to surprise enemies with assertive decisions and creative tactical moves."  I don't think the KGV class was build for those reasons at all and I wonder if WGing is losing the focus on the real ships.  Because few people really wants to watch a video talking about a fictitious KGV ship and her fictitious abilities.  They'd rather watch the real ships come alive again in this game.

Edited by Sventex

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,795 posts
4,052 battles
8 minutes ago, Carl said:

The UP launchers where long gone by Force Z, she traded them in for 2 more octupole pom-poms, (bringing her to 6), and 7 single 20mm plus new radars. So the AAA would actually be worse than KGV.

And don't hold your breath on the HE, or the AP, neither of them is a-historically buffed/nerfed like KM AP/HE is. It's just a fact that the RN had mostly amazing HE and terrible AP

I can live with that. I knew the KGV classes had the UP at the start and later had them removed, but I wasn't sure if PoW herself had hers removed before then. That cuts out the AADF thing, unless WG markets her in as-built rather than as-sunk. I guess RNHE on BBs is just going to have to carry over to PoW. Repulse could get away with working 15" guns, along the lines of Warspite's 15" (since I don't believe Repulse got the upgrade to use 6crh shells before sinking), just with less "worn gun" stats.

8 minutes ago, Sventex said:

What I do find interesting is that the Armada Yamato video talks about the REAL Yamato.  They explain how much steel went into her construction, why she has a high bow with a sag in the middle, that her engines burn 62 tons of fuel per hour, and the ship was torn apart by 400 aircraft ect. ect.  In contrast, this video talks almost entirely about the in-game ship.  The video even ends with

"King George was build to surprise enemies with assertive decisions and creative tactical moves."  I don't think the KGV class was build for those reasons at all and I wonder if WGing is losing the focus on the real ships.  Because few people really wants to watch a video talking about a fictitious KGV ship and her fictitious abilities.  They'd rather watch the real ships come alive again in this game.

I'd have to chalk it up to a lack of interest in the ship/class itself, probably. They really went with dramatic setups for Yamato (both Armada and Naval Legends), and of course went all out in their Naval Legends series, such as Massachusetts, for example. But with KGV? They kind of just went "eh, here's the ship, here's some stats, and here's what we intended her to do in-game. Done".

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
51 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I can live with that. I knew the KGV classes had the UP at the start and later had them removed, but I wasn't sure if PoW herself had hers removed before then. That cuts out the AADF thing, unless WG markets her in as-built rather than as-sunk. I guess RNHE on BBs is just going to have to carry over to PoW. Repulse could get away with working 15" guns, along the lines of Warspite's 15" (since I don't believe Repulse got the upgrade to use 6crh shells before sinking), just with less "worn gun" stats.

4crh shells = Hood guns. Hood was the same in terms of not being upgraded to handle 4crh. Also Repulse has a very low director, i'd be surprised by a rnage >12km.

Members
1,296 posts
867 battles

I paused at the second captain skill recommendations and nearly spit out my coffee. Expert Rear Gunner?? IFHE?? Did they combine vodka with whatever they normally smoke?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,795 posts
4,052 battles
6 hours ago, Carl said:

4crh shells = Hood guns. Hood was the same in terms of not being upgraded to handle 4crh. Also Repulse has a very low director, i'd be surprised by a rnage >12km.

Doesn't Warspite also use the 4crh shells? Yet she has slightly better shell performance in general than Hood, last I recall. Hood was buffed with RNAP shells; both normalization and short-fuse making her brutal to cruisers and DDs, but worse off vs BBs compared to Warspite.

The more I think on it, the more disappointing RN BB Premiums are looking to be considering the number of gimmicks or buffs needed depending on the tier and due to RN design, even if they are nicely balanced out the way Warspite is (compared to Hood, Nelson, and the RN BB line in general).

[SYN]
Members
8,032 posts
12,542 battles
15 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Doesn't Warspite also use the 4crh shells? Yet she has slightly better shell performance in general than Hood, last I recall. Hood was buffed with RNAP shells; both normalization and short-fuse making her brutal to cruisers and DDs, but worse off vs BBs compared to Warspite.

The more I think on it, the more disappointing RN BB Premiums are looking to be considering the number of gimmicks or buffs needed depending on the tier and due to RN design, even if they are nicely balanced out the way Warspite is (compared to Hood, Nelson, and the RN BB line in general).

I thought Warspite had 4crh shells with a 6crh windscreen: so better aerodynamics but not as pointy for penetration.

WG have gimmicked the RN BB's but they needn't necessarily have.

They gave Hood the stupid defensive fire while not allowing her to have 2.0 sigma as the 16in x 8 gun battleships at her tier do (thus compromising her key strength - ASuW firepower).

Nelson is pretty strong, could survive without its' mega heal - there's space between 0.5%/s and 2%/s - and again only gets 1.9 sigma, so going to 2.0 wouldn't be unreasonable. They also went with an early war AA fit rather than late war for more Bofors, could have kept an aircraft etc.

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
50 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Nope 6crh.

@mofton The only difference between the 4crh and 6crh shells is the windscreen length.

As for the Gimmicks. There's not a lot they can do, The harsh truth is certain 1920's 18" designs and the Lion Designs of the WW2 era the UK never deigned or put into service a BB with good main guns by late era BB standards,. There were good real world reasons why that was but it creates a mountain of issues in game for anything above T6. OFC the fact that the RN did have good HE shells does a lot to compensate.

Also Hood needed DF, unfortunately what she needed was USN CV DF. But certain parties screamed at the idea of a DF that actually did it's job and made the AAA bearable at T7 instead of hopelessly inadequate. And i don;t think many adjustments to Nelson could have made her work without a gimmicky heal. Yeah maybe she didn't need the full RN cruiser heal, but i doubt given the reviews of her that she'd have done well with a standard heal.

[SYN]
Members
8,032 posts
12,542 battles
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

As for the Gimmicks. There's not a lot they can do, The harsh truth is certain 1920's 18" designs and the Lion Designs of the WW2 era the UK never deigned or put into service a BB with good main guns by late era BB standards,. There were good real world reasons why that was but it creates a mountain of issues in game for anything above T6. OFC the fact that the RN did have good HE shells does a lot to compensate.

Also Hood needed DF, unfortunately what she needed was USN CV DF. But certain parties screamed at the idea of a DF that actually did it's job and made the AAA bearable at T7 instead of hopelessly inadequate. And i don;t think many adjustments to Nelson could have made her work without a gimmicky heal. Yeah maybe she didn't need the full RN cruiser heal, but i doubt given the reviews of her that she'd have done well with a standard heal.

There's tons WG can do.

AA is kinda irrelevant because (fortunately) carriers are rare, diluted to 1 of 12 ships and can be negated just by staying near a friendly ship. Given the range of AA values across tiers being weak or strong is often irrelevant (Zuiho's a non-issue, Essex is fatal to T7 for instance). Hood does have 7 of the decent 4in's to Warspite's 4 as well. Maneuverability is also a soft stat of great use against both air and surface attack - hacking down Hood's 910m turning radius proportionally with Warspite's would be nice.

With a bit of luck being sucker punched by exclusion from Clan Battles will force a resolution to the problems in CV world. So long as I can complete the stupid Yamamoto 300 plane kills at T9-T10 mission before anything crazy happens...

Nelson could be somewhere in the realm of competitive with slightly improved heal and other reasonable buffs. She is disadvantaged by being a huge target with a lot of soft plating, but she could make it... I think.

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
2 minutes ago, mofton said:

hacking down Hood's 910m turning radius proportionally with Warspite's would be nice.

Yeah but that would effectively be another form of gimmick as it's significantly below the standards for BB's these days.

2 minutes ago, mofton said:

Nelson could be somewhere in the realm of competitive with slightly improved heal and other reasonable buffs. She is disadvantaged by being a huge target with a lot of soft plating, but she could make it... I think.

Sure but again, non-standard heal. Still a gimmick.

You can't really make RN BB's work without them.