You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TF77

Advice for a Rookie?

6 comments in this topic

[_-_]
Members
2,434 posts
7,001 battles

Starting to enjoy DD gameplay a lot. Worked my way up to Mahan on the US line, but need some advice on strategy/gameplay.

In co-op and random fights, I've noticed two distinct styles of DD play.

First one is basically DD's immediately rush in, torp each other, and all die in under two minutes. This is what most teams seem to expect.

The other style is more nuanced, especially with gun-heavy DD's like US and USSR lines. More fun for me to play, but team mates get impatient if I don't just YOLO the nearest smoke cloud and die. It's kinda fun gunning down IJN DD's at medium range while dodging enemies.

I want to be a good (ie winning) team player, but if teams expect DD's to just banzai-charge the cap, spam a torp spread into a smoke cloud and get hammered by the nearest cruiser it isn't much fun. Or am I doing it wrong?

Any advice you can point me to?

Edited by TF77

[CUTER]
Members
817 posts
23,282 battles

If you go into a cap, never smoke up prematurely.  All you are doing is signaling your location, Which will then be torped.  At best you will have wasted your smoke at worst...you eat a Toro and become a dev strike victim.

As for Russian DDs.  Following another more stealthy DD to a cap can be useful.  They spot the enemy DDs...you then gun them down from medium range.

A loud voice in a chat isn't always right.  Your first job always is to stay alive.  Second, spotting, then cap control and killing.  So many players fail at the first two DD responsibilities.

• Cool 1

Members
412 posts
17,016 battles

my first bit of advice, dont do what the dds in co op do.  the dd ai in co op plays like a moron, who only knows how to yolo and die.   this might be fine in co op play, but in random play against real people, you are doing nothing but letting your team down.

in random play, you need to be the eyes and ears of your team, you are there to keep the enemy dds away and to spot for your team .  basicly , you drop smoke for your team, they hide in it and shoot,  you spot for the shooters

if you see someone that is really low health, kill them, stealth out  and spot some more.  you ambush the enemy as they come arround the island.   you drop torps into the enemy smoke  to  kill the shooters that  hide in it

the role you play really depends on the dd you are in.  r u in a gunboat.... hit the enemy with a few salvos, set him on fire, run away.   when the fire goes out, do it again

stupid bb player who dosnt know the wasd hacks,  send him s present of torps to show him the error of his ways

play your ship to its strengths

and try to get  the enemy to play to his weaknesses

you need to play your ship to keep you alive as long as you can, and dont listen to the idiots  that urge you to die doing something stupid, only yolo if it is the only option you have, but sometimes you really do need to press the attack to get torp hits

what has really helped my dd play is i joined a clan, and got schooled by some very good  dd players,  you might want to do the same

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Don't be the first into the cap. Hover just outside of it until the enemy goes in. Push in a little to spot him for your team. If your team isn't close, give it up.

Don't go into a cap "most especially" if planes are around, or you don't know where they are. If they're around, stay out until they head off somewhere else. The further the better.

Don't enter a cap until you know where all radar ships ( if any) are located. If you don't know what they are, go to the link I have provided in my signature. 

Always remember, you are worth much more to the team in the long run than a cap within the first few mins of battle.

Spotting is primary!!

Torp/Capping are secondary.

Guns are last resort, or chip dmg when you are in smoke, or behind an island  (not spotted), or last resort/knife fight.

Smoke yourself in such a way where your stern is facing the enemy. If you sit in it, torps will ne less likely to hit you, and you'll be pointed away rdy for escape.

• Cool 1

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles

Last night in battle i was fighting in my dd as usual and i spotted a scharn full speed open water charging at 5 enemy ships like some hero.

I was a long long way away from the scharn and he was burning already so i charged full speed towards the scharn which was certain death but i wasnt going to leave him alone to die i would try to help him.

The scharn managed to torp a huge bb at close range but at least 4 or 5 enemy ships continued firing at him and he had closed the range by a huge margin.

He was still burning i swung round his right side into huge incoming fire and smoked him.

I launched all my torps and helped fire at the now close enemy ships.

We won ,another dd came to help we beat them all and won the battle.

Spoiler

The scharn survived.

bravery in the highest order god save the queen.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
623 posts
13,163 battles

If you are at Mahan, I'm sure you have already seen radar ships and probably got lit up before, it only gets worse as you go up to tier 10.  Radar cruisers love hiding behind and island to use radar or they wait outside a cap waiting for it to turn red and then light you up.  Know what ships have radar and their ranges and their length of time it is active and cooldown periods.  But most of all if you are anything but a Russian dd patience is the key.  It is better to stay alive and smoke and spot for your team to ensure the win, you may not get the damage numbers you are looking for but a win is always better than a loss.

• Cool 1