You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Idea for a "new" game mode

12 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
22,348 posts
22,775 battles

I was talking about the upcoming clan battles season and the maps, when out of the blue, an idea for a "new" random battles game mode popped into my head.  I put "new" in quotes for a reason that will become apparent.

The basic idea is to sort of merge the concepts of domination and standard modes.  I was thinking about the clan battles maps and I got to thinking, what if 2 of the 3 caps were like domination caps, where if you captured it, you slowly gained points.  But then with the third cap, which should be the one cap that's equidistant from the two teams' spawns, have it be a cap where capturing it was either an automatic victory or alternatively awarded the capturing team a large number of domination points, like say, 300-500. 

In this alternative, the number of points wouldn't be a guaranteed victory (unless you already had enough points that the value of this "big" cap put you over 1000), but it would definitely give you a BIG lead.  You wouldn't get any X cap points every few seconds from the "big" cap point.  And you'd only keep the cap points you earned for taking it so long as you didn't lose it.  And you'd only lose those points if the enemy took the big cap.  You wouldn't lose them if the enemy was in the process of taking it, only AFTER they took it.

Generally speaking, the idea would be for the "big" cap to be an absolutely critical cap to take or at least not allow the enemy to capture, regardless of whether the "big" cap was an auto-win or a major pile of cap points.

Anyways, just food for thought.

• Cool 7

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,827 posts
17,154 battles

That's a great idea. That middle cap would be an Epicenter with a mega bonus when secured. Can you imagine the bloodbath over that point? The timid need not play that mode... +1

[SALVO]
Members
22,348 posts
22,775 battles

Khafni, look at the three clan battles maps on the main website, and you'll see three maps that might work out well for this idea.  The caps that were equidistant from the spawns on each map would be the critical caps, while the side caps would be the secondary "domination" caps.

The more I think about it, the more I think that there might be something to this idea.  There's no real massive gimmick.  No forts, like the ill-fated Bastion mode.  The mode isn't completely brawl happy like Epicenter can be.  It doesn't require the creation of anything new, except perhaps for having two different types of caps on the same map.  Well, actually, if the "alternative" big cap option was used, that would be slightly new.  But having the "big" cap be auto-win would be right out of the Standard mode playbook.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles

This is a great idea to combat the "camping meta", really fantastic idea and sounds like fun to boot! +1!

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,367 posts
9,723 battles
47 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I was talking about the upcoming clan battles season and the maps, when out of the blue, an idea for a "new" random battles game mode popped into my head.  I put "new" in quotes for a reason that will become apparent.

The basic idea is to sort of merge the concepts of domination and standard modes.  I was thinking about the clan battles maps and I got to thinking, what if 2 of the 3 caps were like domination caps, where if you captured it, you slowly gained points.  But then with the third cap, which should be the one cap that's equidistant from the two teams' spawns, have it be a cap where capturing it was either an automatic victory or alternatively awarded the capturing team a large number of domination points, like say, 300-500. 

In this alternative, the number of points wouldn't be a guaranteed victory (unless you already had enough points that the value of this "big" cap put you over 1000), but it would definitely give you a BIG lead.  You wouldn't get any X cap points every few seconds from the "big" cap point.  And you'd only keep the cap points you earned for taking it so long as you didn't lose it.  And you'd only lose those points if the enemy took the big cap.  You wouldn't lose them if the enemy was in the process of taking it, only AFTER they took it.

Generally speaking, the idea would be for the "big" cap to be an absolutely critical cap to take or at least not allow the enemy to capture, regardless of whether the "big" cap was an auto-win or a major pile of cap points.

Anyways, just food for thought.

cbzgAJS.jpg

Intriguing, VERY intriguing 

[SALVO]
Members
22,348 posts
22,775 battles

Thinking of possible names for this possible new mode, what about Confrontation?  

[PVE]
Members
16,701 posts
10,908 battles
19 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Thinking of possible names for this possible new mode, what about Confrontation?  

Or meeting engagement.

Members
513 posts

I'm all for new game modes, but I've seen far too many teams forget that a Standard game isn't the same as a Domination game as it is. I'll say "don't forget that we have a base to protect, too", and they'll all steam together off to one side like lemmings. Then we lose. Combining the two existing game styles together will probably be terrible for most players who understand the mechanics, because their teams are likely to be too braindead to figure things out.

Maybe WG can release 20 new maps instead. Make a competition of it.

[SALVO]
Members
22,348 posts
22,775 battles
23 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I'm all for new game modes, but I've seen far too many teams forget that a Standard game isn't the same as a Domination game as it is. I'll say "don't forget that we have a base to protect, too", and they'll all steam together off to one side like lemmings. Then we lose. Combining the two existing game styles together will probably be terrible for most players who understand the mechanics, because their teams are likely to be too braindead to figure things out.

Maybe WG can release 20 new maps instead. Make a competition of it.

I've also seen teams in Standard mode that clearly understand the mode and play full-on defense.

Personally, I like the idea of new modes because it gets boring playing the same old modes all the time, particularly since I'm not terribly fond of domination mode in the first place.  I play a lot of DD's and I hate playing Dom mode in DD's because I want nothing to do with cap brawling in DD's.  IMO, brawling in DD's is almost always a no win scenario unless you catch the enemy DD totally by surprise.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles
57 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I've also seen teams in Standard mode that clearly understand the mode and play full-on defense.

Personally, I like the idea of new modes because it gets boring playing the same old modes all the time, particularly since I'm not terribly fond of domination mode in the first place.  I play a lot of DD's and I hate playing Dom mode in DD's because I want nothing to do with cap brawling in DD's.  IMO, brawling in DD's is almost always a no win scenario unless you catch the enemy DD totally by surprise.

I am just the opposite, love fighting for caps. I hate Standard battle since everyone just kind of goes willy nilly (mostly). With caps there is an immediate goal and something that the team can focus on doing together. I want to like Epicenter but just haven't clicked with it for reasons I am unsure of. It is possible it is the maps, not sure but I kind of like the battle for the middle zone. Unfortunately that really doesn't get going until late game usually when one side has a distinct advantage. IMHO Domination mode rewards the push forward where in Standard battle aggressive play is punished by the defending players.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,348 posts
22,775 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

I am just the opposite, love fighting for caps. I hate Standard battle since everyone just kind of goes willy nilly (mostly). With caps there is an immediate goal and something that the team can focus on doing together. I want to like Epicenter but just haven't clicked with it for reasons I am unsure of. It is possible it is the maps, not sure but I kind of like the battle for the middle zone. Unfortunately that really doesn't get going until late game usually when one side has a distinct advantage. IMHO Domination mode rewards the push forward where in Standard battle aggressive play is punished by the defending players.

What I like about standard battles when I'm playing a DD is that I can go off and hunt the enemy without having the entire team ragging on me to fight over some god effing damned domination cap that's nothing but a no win scenario for most DD's.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

What I like about standard battles when I'm playing a DD is that I can go off and hunt the enemy without having the entire team ragging on me to fight over some god effing damned domination cap that's nothing but a no win scenario for most DD's.

Oh I understand, and yes that is annoying when everyone wants you to do something other than what you feel you should be doing. I get it. Like I said, just enjoy battling over the caps mainly because I use US DDs.. In Domination the destroyer kind of decides the plan by announcing what cap they are after. In Standard battle you have that "What are we going to do?" discussion at the beginning of the match.