You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Help me trim some fat off my port

22 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
5,595 posts
12,708 battles

I have too many ships.  Some I am keeping...and I don't know why.  Help me out, here:

1. Fubuki and Hatsuharu.  I have Shinonome.  Any reason to keep either of these other two?

2.  Shiratsuyu.  She was beastly before she got beat in the head with the nerf bat.  My favorite IJN DD...nerfed into oblivion.  I have played her a couple of times since the nerf and cried each time.  Why should I keep her?

3.  Kagero.  I absolutely LOVE Akizuki.  I don't think I have played Kagero since the split.  Any reason to?

4.  Minsk.  Zero games in her since the split.  I know I should quit being lazy and try her out, but I haven't gotten off my lazy azz to do so.  Should I, or am I better off selling her?

5.  V-170.  I have kept her so far because she was the last to have the forward-facing torp tubes.  Other than that, does she have any redeeming features?  I honestly don't remember...

Yes, this is laziness.  I should devote my time and find these things out for myself.  But, I ain't got time for that, and I know many of you know these ships very well.  So help a fella out, will ya?

Dang, I just noticed the trend.  I used to be a DD main, and now I am shedding DD's.  My BB collection, however, has swelled.  I also rarely play my mid-tier cruisers, although at T8 they do become interesting again. 

I wonder if there is a single factor contributing to all three conclusions? :cap_hmm:

Edited by desmo_2

Beta Testers
932 posts
7,984 battles

1. Nope

2. I am probably one of the last captains who keeps using my DDs as stealthy torpedo boat ninjas, instead of as mobile zippo lighters, but I liked my Kagero, at the Yugumo and working my way to the Shimakaze.

3 and 4. I have no clue, never played those lines.

Edited by sulghunter331

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,748 posts
22,874 battles

Too many ships Huh , I have 197 and not getting rid of any of them .......

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,380 posts
12,909 battles
54 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Help me out

You can GIFT CODES me half of the ships after decision made ... I will take care of them

[WOLFB]
Members
213 posts
6,135 battles

I will note that the V-170 is a fun T4 DD. She is the last KM DD with forward firing torps and a good concealment - 5.5km after camo and capt skills. If I am looking for some low level DD play she is one of my top go-tos

[O_O]
Members
3,839 posts
17,173 battles

I don't know what your premium fleet looks like. I only hold on to my premiums and run tech tree captains in them. So my Shira captain is in my Kamikaze and my Isokaze captain is in my Shinonome most of the time. If you have a healthy credit bank shed the tech tree ships and keep the captains building on premiums. I just buy back any tech tree ship that would help me with a mission. But I am uber-fat with credits so it is easy.

For those ships you mentioned get rid of them. If you have to ask "do I need to keep them" then you probably don't and you likely won't miss them when they are gone.

Good luck deciding.

Members
534 posts
8,088 battles

If you don't need credits then there is no need to sell any of them unless you just want to reduce "clutter".

I'm a non-premium player (time/ships) so I have to keep a lean and mean port so I can afford to buy ships I'm grinding.

[RLGN]
Members
11,746 posts
20,723 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

1. Fubuki and Hatsuharu.  I have Shinonome.  Any reason to keep either of these other two?

Keep Fubuki if you got it free when the line split. It doesn't matter if you NEVER play it again; if there's ever any reason to buy it again; perhaps for some mission, free; let me repeat that; FREE; is still cheaper than any discount that may be offered.

Basically why I will never sell Fubiki; though I consider it to be a worthless piece of garbage.

3.  Kagero.  I absolutely LOVE Akizuki.  I don't think I have played Kagero since the split.  Any reason to?

Pretty much only play Akizuki for high tier IJN destroyers...

...you mean there are other high-tier IJN destroyers besides Akizuki...?

4.  Minsk.  Zero games in her since the split.  I know I should quit being lazy and try her out, but I haven't gotten off my lazy azz to do so.  Should I, or am I better off selling her?

Again; some serious high-tier-game hate/dislike going on personally... (reasons.) Just about the only Russian destroyer that falls in that range I care enough about to play is Grozovoy.

5.  V-170.  I have kept her so far because she was the last to have the forward-facing torp tubes.  Other than that, does she have any redeeming features?  I honestly don't remember...

Only reason I kept it...

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,656 posts
35,608 battles
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I have too many ships.  Some I am keeping...and I don't know why.  Help me out, here:

2.  Shiratsuyu.  She was beastly before she got beat in the head with the nerf bat.  My favorite IJN DD...nerfed into oblivion.  I have played her a couple of times since the nerf and cried each time.  Why should I keep her?

Yes, this is laziness.  I should devote my time and find these things out for myself.  But, I ain't got time for that, and I know many of you know these ships very well.  So help a fella out, will ya?

Dang, I just noticed the trend.  I used to be a DD main, and now I am shedding DD's.  My BB collection, however, has swelled.  I also rarely play my mid-tier cruisers, although at T8 they do become interesting again. 

I wonder if there is a single factor contributing to all three conclusions? :cap_hmm:

1.  I kept the Fubuki.  I found her rather nice after the split.  Sold the Hatsuharu.  I do not have the Shinonome.

2.  The Shiratsuyu was definitely a keeper before the nerf.  But now I haven't decided if I will keep her once I unlock the Akizuki.

3.  I don't know if I will keep the Kagero once I unlock the Yugomo.

4.  I still have her in my port.  I'm also undecided if I will eventually sell her.

5.  She's still in my port and I will likely keep her.  She's not as good/fun as my Clemson but the forward facing torps are a good change of pace.

[SYN]
Members
3,534 posts
18,853 battles

Get rid of them all apart from the V170. Its the best T4 DD in the game since the British BB He came out and gimped the pew pew Clemson game!

[PSP]
Members
9,775 posts

This last Ranked season was tier VI and I'd gone past that tier in the lines I had been researching. The only tier VI I had was an Arizona I got from a crate. I spent much of Ranked season leveling up to a Fubuki and grinding enough credits to re-purchase a Cleveland. Now, that Fubuki and Cleveland are two of my favorite ships. Tier VI is a good one to play because you are almost guaranteed a quick game. The Fubuki seems to be quite powerful for its tier.

[RLGN]
Members
11,746 posts
20,723 battles
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

IJN DDs are not worth keeping, unless you are really into them for some odd reason. 

Such as my Mutsuki W/R being 8-9% above the server average? In both flavors? (Old Tier 6 and new Tier 5.)

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Fubuki: keep if you like the torpedo ambush playstyle she has, otherwise sell

Hatsuharu: keep if you want a DD that goes for very high-risk playstyle if you play with stock hull for the extra gun but have to work with the 6km torpedoes

Shiratsuyu: now that Kagero and Yugumo get the same torpedo reload booster, and Shiratsuyu has to pick between TRB and smoke, I don't think she's worth keeping

Kagero: personally I'd sell her if you have Yugumo, since Yugumo does everything better and gets better MM due to being tier 9

Minsk: only keep if you like to GO FAST and not much else; can be a bit fun but I'm not sure your teammates at tier 7 will feel the same

V-170: keep if you like the novelty of the forward torpedoes, otherwise sell

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,158 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Such as my Mutsuki W/R being 8-9% above the server average? In both flavors? (Old Tier 6 and new Tier 5.)

Server average was 42% (second lowest of all ships), even 8% above is still 20 % below USN DD's top win rates. Ontop, there's Shinonome. So no, IJN DDs are not worth keeping.

The current game mechanics really disfavors IJN DDs with their [edited] guns. Radar, hydro, planes of all sorts (spotting both torps and ship), even invisible radars upcoming. Every other DD in game beats IJN DD. Things will get worse for IJN DDs as general skill level of CVs increase. There's not enough advantage in camo and torp strength to justify playing IJN DD. 

IJN DD's gun flavor should change. Since it's all manual operation to turn turrets and all that. Make it that upon locking onto target, initially the gun would fire very fast and turrets turn very fast, but after a small period the crew will get "tired" and the general performance of the gun decreases to a bottom line. That'd make IJN DDs much more competitive in the current meta. They are still the same flavor as right now, a bursting damager. 

Edited by NeutralState

[O_O]
Members
5,595 posts
12,708 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This last Ranked season was tier VI and I'd gone past that tier in the lines I had been researching. The only tier VI I had was an Arizona I got from a crate. I spent much of Ranked season leveling up to a Fubuki and grinding enough credits to re-purchase a Cleveland. Now, that Fubuki and Cleveland are two of my favorite ships. Tier VI is a good one to play because you are almost guaranteed a quick game. The Fubuki seems to be quite powerful for its tier.

I used Shinonome and Anshan for my DD's last Ranked season.  For my other T6 Ranked needs I had Arizona for BB's, and I alternated between Leander and Cleveland for CL's.  You should always keep Cleveland around.  When there are missions requiring fires, plane kills or destroyer kills, she fits the bill.  She can do a lot very well.

Back on point.  I am going to keep V-170 because she has a unique characteristic that I find interesting.  Kagero and Minsk will be sold.  I am going to sell off either Fubuki or Hatsuharu for now, and probably both soon.  Shinonome covers my T6 IJN DD needs.

Shiratsuyu.  Oh, you poor, discarded girl.  I may keep her around for a while longer because I still love her for what she once was.  A couple of more games in her current form will probably seal her fate, however.  Such a pity.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Edited by desmo_2

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,621 posts
6,965 battles

I have the opposite problem, I'm constantly selling ships so that I can afford to buy new ones.  As of right now I don't think I have a single silver ship below tier 10 in my port.  *I just sold my Shchors to afford the Minotaur :Smile_sad:  

I keep telling myself I'm going to buy them back, but since I'm sitting on a measly 1.3 million silver at the moment, and the list of ships I promised to buy back will cost me well over 50 million credits............it's not gonna happen for a long long time.

Saint Louis + upgrades

Udaloi + upgrades 

Martel + upgrades
Mogami + upgrades
Akizuki + upgrades

Shchors + upgrades

Then when I ran out of ships to sell, I started stripping some of my premiums of their upgrades as well, which could easily put me another 15-20 million silver further in debt.  I hate to say it......but I think I have a serious problem here.

Edited by yashma

[PSP]
Members
9,775 posts
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I used Shinonome and Anshan for my DD's last Ranked season.

Don't discount the Fubuki even if you have a Shinonome. The Shinonome has more guns but the Fubuki's torps reach farther and reload faster. Also the Fubuki's torpedoes are better and that's mainly what these ships are -- torpedo boats. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
2,161 posts
6,363 battles

I love Soviet ships and the capitalist tears they generate but I cannt enjoy Minsk, 

I like DD brawls and her turret traverse, even buffed with EM and the upgrade, simply does not allow it.

[RLGN]
Members
11,746 posts
20,723 battles
10 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Server average was 42% (second lowest of all ships), even 8% above is still 20 % below USN DD's top win rates. Ontop, there's Shinonome. So no, IJN DDs are not worth keeping.

If 42% is the server average, then I'm higher than I thought; 57% W/R in both flavors of Mutsuki.

10 hours ago, NeutralState said:

The current game mechanics really disfavors IJN DDs with their [edited] guns. Radar, hydro, planes of all sorts (spotting both torps and ship), even invisible radars upcoming. Every other DD in game beats IJN DD. Things will get worse for IJN DDs as general skill level of CVs increase. There's not enough advantage in camo and torp strength to justify playing IJN DD. 

The thing is; I don't play Mutsuki to be some super-damage-farmer-murder-machine... I play it as a support destroyer; spotting, smoking, and capping whenever possible.

Terrible guns? Mutsuki may have a pair of nigh-worthless cork-guns lubricated with sand and mollasses; but I'm not afraid to use them; and have 20 total guns kills, generally against damaged targets, across both flavors of Mutsuki; (with 79 total ship kills; so basically 20% of the kills have been gun kills, across 155 total games.)

Members
1,814 posts
15,603 battles

I have sold all those, only keep tech tree ships with perm camo for the most part.  For IJN torp boats have Shima and Akizuki, Shino, Kami - have not felt a need for any more lately.  Only lower tier tech tree DDs I have kept is Clemson and Farragut(perm camo from Santa Convoys).   Over time seems that your port gets

so full that you play certain ships, and many just are Port Queens.  Try to keep all my premiums (even crappy one I got in Santa Containers) because I don't want

to get them back at the expense of sometimes I want in a future Santa container or if I ever get a ship in a SC...