Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Radar Opinion Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the surveillance radar consumable?

• radar should be stronger.
    • radar is a good the way it is now.
    • radar needs to be weaker in general.
  2. 2. If you think radar needs a nerf, which of the following do you think is needed (check all that apply)

• radar does not need a nerf.
    • radar duration should be decreased.
    • radar range should be decreased.
    • radar Line of Sight should be blocked by land masses.
  3. 3. How much of a problem do you think it is when one team has significantly more radar-equipped ships than the other?

• It's not a problem at all. At least, no more so than any other imbalance the matchmaker may create.
    • It is a little bit of a problem.
    • It's a huge problem.

11 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles

Yes, it's this tired argument again!  But nobody's made it into a poll, at least not recently.  So I figured I would. 

[PHASE]
Members
4,973 posts
16,740 battles

The simple reality is and was radar could show where a ship is/was. It should exist but it should show a fuzzy location as to where ships are, on a 5 second blink...you know, like real radar. Not some horrific 40 second clear as day Des Moines radar that pumps out an infinite amount of fire power every 3 seconds. Or an Atlanta or Belfast that has a radar range longer then many of the dd's torps it faces or have the same detection range. 

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,169 battles

I don't think it needs a general nerf but it should be restricted by LOS and possibly automatically spot you for anyone in range (FU Belfast) after all, that is what it does in reality.

[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles

I don't personally have a huge problem with it, except when there's an uneven amount of it.  From my personal experience, having one extra radar one one side or the other doesn't make much difference, but when one side has an extra two, or three, the odds of victory start slanting considerably.  Like, a team with a radar advantage of 3+ will win 80% of the time.  Is there any other thing the matchmaker does that skews the odds that strongly?

[SALVO]
Members
22,374 posts
22,802 battles
23 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The simple reality is and was radar could show where a ship is/was. It should exist but it should show a fuzzy location as to where ships are, on a 5 second blink...you know, like real radar. Not some horrific 40 second clear as day Des Moines radar that pumps out an infinite amount of fire power every 3 seconds. Or an Atlanta or Belfast that has a radar range longer then many of the dd's torps it faces or have the same detection range. 

Actually, if radar just showed you roughly where ship were, the best way to indicate that would be to put them on the minimap ONLY.

[PHASE]
Members
4,973 posts
16,740 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Actually, if radar just showed you roughly where ship were, the best way to indicate that would be to put them on the minimap ONLY.

A great alternative, anything to give it usefulness and functionality but not an "I win button."

[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles

Results so far: 

Most people think radar is okay.  Obviously there's always a few people who hate it and come to the forums to complain, but overall it seems to be okay.

With that said, there are a sizable minority of people who would like to see radar blocked by islands.  The way it is now surely is unrealistic but to be fair so are any number of other aspects of the game, like torpedo launchers than can be reloaded multiple times over a 20 minute battle.  I've seen it said multiple times that WG either can't or won't change the radar line of sight rules, so don't expect anyone's wishes to come true here.

Lastly, a majority of people agree, to varying extent, that an imbalance of radar ships is a problem.  I'd love to see some effort put into improving the matchmaker's capabilities, but who knows if that would ever be on the table or not.

[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles
3 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Radar should also illuminate the one using it during the duration. That's all the balancing it requires.

That's an interesting thought I haven't seen suggested before.

My least favorite thing is when I'm playing my destroyer like a good team player should - not being recklessly aggressive but pushing assertively for caps - and I get radared by a ship I can't even see because he plowed into the far side of an island somewhere.  Suddenly I'm trying to get out while five ships are raining shells down at me from 15km away.  Real easy to lose half your life in the first five minutes of the battle that way, and there's no way to defend against it other than playing timid.  Timid destroyers are useless.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,141 battles
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

That's an interesting thought I haven't seen suggested before.

My least favorite thing is when I'm playing my destroyer like a good team player should - not being recklessly aggressive but pushing assertively for caps - and I get radared by a ship I can't even see because he plowed into the far side of an island somewhere.  Suddenly I'm trying to get out while five ships are raining shells down at me from 15km away.  Real easy to lose half your life in the first five minutes of the battle that way, and there's no way to defend against it other than playing timid.  Timid destroyers are useless.

Yesterday I got illuminated by radar, a Zao fired from 15 km away, ONE shell grazed my mast, detonation. It was fun and engaging.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,965 posts
9,582 battles

Radar's fine as is and needs no changes. LOS argument only holds water when WG says it is a problem, as it's their game and therefore they're the final authority.

After all, it doesn't save a cruiser that yolos, and it's simple for DDs to pre-plan so they have escape routes or cover anytime (and keep engine boost for escape only).

The only change I'd like WG to do is balance radar so at worst/best, each team can only have 1 more or less radar ship than the other. And yes, if a division brings 3 radars, MM needs to balance that against other radar-bringing ships too. US and Russian T9-10 don't have a choice, along with MO, they all have to bring radar. Neptune and Minotaur can choose to.

Sign in to follow this